Cheap Hotels and Flights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I was wondering if anyone recommends any websites for cheap flights and hotels for interviews? It's getting to be pretty expensive, so I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

I use kayak.com for air, hotel, car.

And if Southwest services your local airport, check their site since the big travel sites don't include Southwest in their searches and they have the lowest fares a lot of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check BiddingForTravel. It lists winning Priceline bids for travel products. A lot of the winning bids are so low that you would be embarassed to bid so low if you didn't know that someone else bid that low and had their bid accepted.

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Last edited:
Or... If anyone uses Continental (United now...) for their travels, you should look at your points.

I have about 60k miles saved up, and a trip from NY to LA is 25k miles one way, so 50k two ways. Saves you about $450-$500 bucks right there!

Or, if you know people/have relatives, they can also buy a ticket with their points for you. :thumbup:

I found cheap hotels on hotels.com.... unfortunately I have no points :-(

Check BiddingForTravel. It lists winning Priceline bids for travel products. A lot of the winning bids are so low that you would be embarassed to bid so low if you didn't know that someone else bid that low and had their bid accepted.

How is this website helpful at all? The only thing I can see that it does is it links you to other sites like hotwire.com, priceline.com, etc... probably just to skim off a referral bonus. Can you enlighten me?

How is this website helpful at all? The only thing I can see that it does is it links you to other sites like hotwire.com, priceline.com, etc... probably just to skim off a referral bonus. Can you enlighten me?

I've never heard of it until yesterday. It seems like it could be useful for name-your-own-price sites. In the forums you can look at the city your interested in and see what others have recently bid/won. It gives you an idea of where you can start bidding based on the success of others. Another thing I liked is they try to keep a running list of the actual hotels that fall under the 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-star categories given by the bidding sites.

Ok, how about this enlightening you jack ass...

The information on the site is provided by users who are sharing their winning bid amounts on priceline. If you were familiar with priceline, then you would know that the hardest thing is to bid an amount that's not too high/low. And you can't just bid low, and re-bid higher later without changing your parameters such as hotel quality, airport location, etc. Thus, by being exposed to helpful information on this site, one can make a well informed winning bid thereby saving time and money.

Perhaps you should start reading instead of clicking on the obvious links lol.

Travelocity "top secret hotels" or hostels

Ok, how about this enlightening you jack ass...

The information on the site is provided by users who are sharing their winning bid amounts on priceline. If you were familiar with priceline, then you would know that the hardest thing is to bid an amount that's not too high/low. And you can't just bid low, and re-bid higher later without changing your parameters such as hotel quality, airport location, etc. Thus, by being exposed to helpful information on this site, one can make a well informed winning bid thereby saving time and money.

Perhaps you should start reading instead of clicking on the obvious links lol.

Relax a little. I can see why you're on probation. The info you provided regarding priceline was very helpful--I was unaware of the bidding option and how it worked. Thanks.

P.S. Don't get your feathers ruffled just because I wasn't a fan of your dubbed-in lyrics to the National Anthem.

Relax a little. I can see why you're on probation. The info you provided regarding priceline was very helpful--I was unaware of the bidding option and how it worked. Thanks.

P.S. Don't get your feathers ruffled just because I wasn't a fan of your dubbed-in lyrics to the National Anthem.

I'm soooo relaxed lol. It's a unique privilege to be on probation. Two of the biggest contributors on SDN (myself, Froggbuster) are probation status. Plus, how else can you get your handle font in a cool red color?

A lot of the posts for Winning Bids seem to be several years old, and the Bidding Related Questions forums all say that bidding strategies will no longer be provided by BiddingForTravel.com. Is there a part to this website that I'm still missing that one can use for current travel/bidding tips? The more I look into this the more it seems like it could be an amazing tool if more people would use it and provide info.

if you are looking into buying flights soon both virgin and southwest both currently have some pretty low fares (as low as $49 one way)

The site looks like 1998, but after browsing around and getting some idea on prices to bid, I booked Hilton Garden Inn for my Temple interview on priceline for $60 night. Not bad. Right downtown. No need to rent a car now either. Cars were going to run about $80/day and a room at a sloppy place well outside of the area was looking to cost at least $50.

I'm soooo relaxed lol. It's a unique privilege to be on probation. Two of the biggest contributors on SDN (myself, Froggbuster) are probation status. Plus, how else can you get your handle font in a cool red color?

LOL, was it the jackass comment that they got mad at?

book round trip flights separately as one way flights (this resulted in $40 discount for me vs. booking a round trip)

if you don't have friends/family/alumni available, i highly recommend pricline's "name your own price". it's near impossible to cancel it once it's booked, but expect savings of over 50%

Geez I leave for a few days and LG2DS's account is on hold now...

whaaaaaaaaaaaat :eek: