check out my new toy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was a proponent of "buy american, support the economy" until I had to shop for a car. Why? Because I want a reliable and durable car. American cars are disposable nowadays. Why? I don't know. We have the best military, medicine, airplanes, bombs, space shuttles, movies, theater, etc, yet we cannot make a car that lasts a few years without breaking down. Could we make the best car in the world? Absolutely. 10 times better than any german or japanese car. The truth is we don't. I'll be one of the firsts ones to buy it if they ever decide to make it.

Members don't see this ad.

extreme ford engineering.

Attachments

• 300LiftedFordF650.jpg
    300LiftedFordF650.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 93
I was a proponent of "buy american, support the economy" until I had to shop for a car. Why? Because I want a reliable and durable car. American cars are disposable nowadays. Why? I don't know. We have the best military, medicine, airplanes, bombs, space shuttles, movies, theater, etc, yet we cannot make a car that lasts a few years without breaking down. Could we make the best car in the world? Absolutely. 10 times better than any german or japanese car. The truth is we don't. I'll be one of the firsts ones to buy it if they ever decide to make it.

Nice post. I've agreed entirely that the burden is on the US manufacturers to win back the public. This will require continued changes and improvements. But, they are happening. I've had VERY good experiences with GM vehicles. I've had Blazer's and Grand Prix mainly, and they've been very good to me. Currently, I drive a Buick Rendevous (o.k., perhaps not the studliest of all cars....lol), and it's a GREAT car so far. It drives like a champ, and the payment is very reasonable. I love it.

I just don't get how anyone would WANT to see an American industry fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
For more years than I want to remember, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have been the 2 top selling vehicles in the USA. Myself and millions of other Americans gave you many chances cfdavid. We toiled many hours to pay for your inferior products. Money that could have been earmarked for retirement. We felt cheated, lied to and victimized. You and the big 3 just didn't get it. Don't forget to turn out the lights when that last American car rolls off the assembly line which can't come soon enough. Regards, ---Zip

CF, what's your attraction to the big 3? Why the devotion? It can't be as simple as "I am for America".

CF, what's your attraction to the big 3? Why the devotion? It can't be as simple as "I am for America".

Not sure what Zip means by millions of Americans gave ME a chance. While my previous company did serve the auto industry, I also have equipment in Nissan, Honda, and in other non-American owned facilities. We also did a lot of business in non-automotive sectors. Also, I don't have any family members working directly in the automotive industry.

But, to answer your question, I'm from Detroit (suburbs outside of). Evertime I drive to med school I pass GM's technical center, and when I get downtown (my med school's in Detroit city) I look up and see GM's world headquarters. These two facilities alone employ thousands of people. These are generally good paying jobs (some would argue "too" good). There are thousands of engineers in these facilities and they are full of high tech testing equipment and processes. Much of this is designed and built by small, independent companies down the street (sometimes literally).

The resaraunts in the area serve these people lunch, and plazas tend to be full (rather than vacant) as a result. When things are going well, people are optimistic. Then, people are getting elective dental and other procedures done. People are buying furniture, which allows that guy to buy a boat....This is right in the vicinity. But, in other places, the large automated lines (multi-million dollar systems) are built for their new programs (when they launch a new vehicle). These companies also employ mechanical and electrical engineers. They employ pipefitters and electricians, and programmers for the software that run the lines. Overwhelmingly, these are American suppliers, but there are exceptions.

On the flip side, I've been to the Nissan facility in Canton, Mississippi (they bought an automated tire/wheel line from a key customer of mine, in which I had equipment on THEIR equipment). It's huge. But, they import the VAST majority of their automation equipment from Japan. The same goes for most of the other "transplant" facilities. They import from their home country. Again, there are exceptions here as well, but even from the perspective of smaller components (valves, material handling systems, "grippers", and a host of other devices), they tend to be "specified" as one of their own brands. It's just the way it goes.

So, of course I'm going to support my local community. We often speak on this forum of shooting oneself in the foot. Well, to me, that's what I'd be doing if I weren't to support my local team. It's that simple.

That being said, I totally understand how people have gotten fed up with poor quality and better alternatives from elsewhere. It's a free market, and I have buddies driving "foreign" (I know it's not always cut and dry) cars. We're still buddies...lol It's just very close to home for us in Detroit.

What's even more problematic is the prospect of creating good, high paying jobs that can replace those lost in certain industries. We're not the only ones with this problem. And lets face it, not everyone can go to medical school, law school, or get a job with one of the large I-banks. So, the issue is what other industries can replace those we're losing, and in the numbers sufficient to maintain a middle class in our society?? It's not an easy solution. So, to me, we need be realistic about the implications (farther reaching than many seem to realize) of losing what many consider to be key, strategic, industries.

For more years than I want to remember, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have been the 2 top selling vehicles in the USA. Myself and millions of other Americans gave you many chances cfdavid. We toiled many hours to pay for your inferior products. Money that could have been earmarked for retirement. We felt cheated, lied to and victimized. You and the big 3 just didn't get it. Don't forget to turn out the lights when that last American car rolls off the assembly line which can't come soon enough. Regards, ---Zip

It's tempting to resond to your antagonistic (and childish) remarks in a certain way. But, I won't.

Toyota and Honda have been the number one and two sellers for a reason they are better cars than the comparably priced Detroit iron. I would love to be able to buy a car from the big three but the last few American cars my family have owned have died far sooner than the Hondas and Toyotas we have owned.

Toyota and Honda have been the number one and two sellers for a reason they are better cars than the comparably priced Detroit iron. I would love to be able to buy a car from the big three but the last few American cars my family have owned have died far sooner than the Hondas and Toyotas we have owned.

That's too bad. I really hope things change too. I know quality IS improving, and it's a major focus, from what I hear. I do think there's some carryover stigma that may not be 100% warranted, but that's the price that anyone pays for a lackluster history in the quality department.

I think most people agree with your sentiments, and hopefully one day you'll have that opportunity. Like I said, I've been very happy with my American vehicles. But, that's n=1....

So I come from New Orleans. Katrina wiped out a large portion of N.O. The levees are not going to be rebuilt in any form that can withstand the onslaught that Katrina or the next storm will bring. I love the area but I ain't about to move there and throw money at it in a losing cause (sorry to those that are still there and hoping for a change) b/c its where I'm from and b/c my friends and family are still there. This is what I think of when I read your post. You are asking americans to throw money at a broken system in Detroit b/c of your ties there. Sorry I can't do that.
I was at Wayne State during Med Sch as well. I lived in Northville. I saw the benefits of working for the big 3. These guys had high school degrees, made a mint, bought huge houses, ate out every night and got a **** load of vacation. Granted, during vacation they still had to go to work except for the month they carried picket signs. It seemed like every few months they were on strike. At least every December. I never witnessed such a waste of man power as when I lived in Detroit. The unions are, in my opinion, the biggest reason Detroit has failed.

So I come from New Orleans. Katrina wiped out a large portion of N.O. The levees are not going to be rebuilt in any form that can withstand the onslaught that Katrina or the next storm will bring. I love the area but I ain't about to move there and throw money at it in a losing cause (sorry to those that are still there and hoping for a change) b/c its where I'm from and b/c my friends and family are still there. This is what I think of when I read your post. You are asking americans to throw money at a broken system in Detroit b/c of your ties there. Sorry I can't do that.
I was at Wayne State during Med Sch as well. I lived in Northville. I saw the benefits of working for the big 3. These guys had high school degrees, made a mint, bought huge houses, ate out every night and got a **** load of vacation. Granted, during vacation they still had to go to work except for the month they carried picket signs. It seemed like every few months they were on strike. At least every December. I never witnessed such a waste of man power as when I lived in Detroit. The unions are, in my opinion, the biggest reason Detroit has failed.

I'm not asking, or advocating, that people make "sympathy" buys. It's a free market, and I could never hold a purchasing decision against anyone. It's pretty much against my principles.

I hear yah on the union issues. It's disgusting. But, those aren't really the guys I'm advocating on behalf of. Those f..ckers have a stanglhold on the companies. This is changing too, albeit a bit too late.

I'm not asking, or advocating, that people make "sympathy" buys. It's a free market, and I could never hold a purchasing decision against anyone. It's pretty much against my principles.

I hear yah on the union issues. It's disgusting. But, those aren't really the guys I'm advocating on behalf of. Those f..ckers have a stanglhold on the companies. This is changing too, albeit a bit too late.