Chem Problems, very close to failing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant figure out what im doing wrong...
I just got back my second Gen Chem exam, I failed it
On top of that, I am struggling with my other science classes, C+ in Bio, D in Chem lab, B in Bio lab
I am sure that medicine is in my future, I just cant stand some of these subjects
Could someone offer some study advise? Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

When you're studying, do it in chunks (i.e. only one hour at a time with a short break between). If you're a morning person, study in the morning etc. Try to relate the material to some tangible occurrence in your life.

Options:

-TA: talk to them, use them.
-Professor: go after class, talk to them, use them.
-Tutor: consider getting one. Maybe they can explain it to you in a different way than your TA/Professor that will make sense to you.

Are you reading your textbooks before class? Are you reading your lab manual before you go? I've seen way too many students go to class/lab completely clueless as to what we are doing and they spend way too much time looking down at their books/manuals looking like :confused: Chem lab should be fun... why are you failing?

Since you are struggling with your other sciences, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your study habits. Help us help you. What do YOU think you're doing wrong?

Plan on retaking these courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much of a weighting is your midterm?

I had a failing chem average on both midterms in Chem I (D-/F on both) and still managed to squeak out a solid B due to getting an A on the final (the class average was a D+... it was nasty and for whatever reason my school just scoffs at the idea of curves).

The only difference was sheer exposure to the material. It took me something like 3 days of being a recluse in my room doing nothing but chem problems to prep me for that exam :/

Also for labs, how much prep time do you spend? I found I got better with experience but spending more time going over the lab before hand helped me significantly.

Last edited:
Start doing problems over and over and over and over and over and over......... When confronted with a problem you don't know how to begin..... Look it up and figure it out. This is how to learn chemistry and any subject really.

Find practice problems WITH the answers. That is key.

If I were you, I wouldn't necessarily talk to the professor. There is only so much they can do and it's up to you to study and make sure you know it. Actions will speak much louder than words in this situation.

You're not dyslexic right? Are you reversing numbers both in writing and in reading? That should probably be ruled out first.

Talking to the professor or TA could in fact clear up any confusion OP is having, especially if it is conceptual and not arithmetic-based. Plus, s/he can ask them to see quizzes and exams to see what is being missed. If someone doesn't know what they got wrong and how they got it wrong, mistakes are bound to be repeated. Doing problems with answers isn't necessarily going to help someone if they don't know what they are doing wrong. That is, unless the answers provide a detailed explanation. I found this to be a very helpful method especially for physics and organic chemistry. Perhaps OP should find a tutor or go over the problems with the TA if possible.

Looking at his/her quizzes and exams would definitely clear up whether or not dyslexia is the culprit. :)

How much of a weighting is your midterm?

I had a failing chem average on both midterms in Chem I (D-/F on both) and still managed to squeak out a solid B due to getting an A on the final (the class average was a D+... it was nasty and for whatever reason my school just scoffs at the idea of curves).

The only difference was sheer exposure to the material. It took me something like 3 days of being a recluse in my room doing nothing but chem problems to prep me for that exam :/

Also for labs, how much prep time do you spend? I found I got better with experience but spending more time going over the lab before hand helped me significantly.

Yikes that is rough... at least you pulled off a B! :thumbup:

Completely agree that labs require preparation. Hence my frustration at seeing students come to lab unprepared to do anything and end up sitting there for most of the time reading stuff that should have already been read.

Khan academy may help? I really enjoyed the bio videos and it helped solidify a lot of my issues with algebra years ago :) you may also want to take fewer science classes when you retake...sometimes learning how you need to study takes some time! Good luck!

Khan academy may help? I really enjoyed the bio videos and it helped solidify a lot of my issues with algebra years ago :) you may also want to take fewer science classes when you retake...sometimes learning how you need to study takes some time! Good luck!

Solid advice :thumbup:

Solid advice :thumbup:

Never heard of Khan academy, but glad to hear there is something out there like that. :cool:

Great advice, indeed!

Find out what you don't understand. And where you are failing. That's often the overlooked key to success. If you don't know where you failed in the past, how can you fix it?

:thumbup: Sal is a genius

On top of that, I am struggling with my other science classes, C+ in Bio, D in Chem lab, B in Bio lab
I am sure that medicine is in my future, I just cant stand some of these subjects

Why are you sure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes that is rough... at least you pulled off a B! :thumbup:

Completely agree that labs require preparation. Hence my frustration at seeing students come to lab unprepared to do anything and end up sitting there for most of the time reading stuff that should have already been read.

Best B I ever got lol.

But why would that bug you? Do you have to partner up or something?

I found that I just got better with experience and my lab grades tend to reflect that.

Why are you sure?

I have to agree with the what Specter is implying. The path toward a career in medicine includes a lot of science, including chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, bio, etc. While it's true that you may not need to know some of this when you actually become a practicing physician, I'd say it's difficult (impossible?) to develop a strong foundation in medicine without it. If the OP can't stand some of these subjects, I'd say medicine is likely not in his future.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure the OP knew he was weak in Chem/Bio before he sat down for the exam. That's when he should be asking for assistance, not AFTER failing the exam. That's what the OP is doing wrong. Lots of people struggle with Bio and Chem, but students find other ways to absorb the material.

mgg, what have you been doing to gain a better understanding of the Chem and Bio? Have you reviewed your text? Review Khan academy? Spoke to your TA? Studied with a tutor? Worked through hours of practice exams and questions at the end of the chapter? If you haven't done some of this and you sat down to exam with a poor understanding of the material, then you haven't put enough effort into it.

You need to get study advice from people who are specialized in giving study advice tailored to your learning process. Strangers on the Internet aren't likely to give you exactly what you want, but there might be educational strategists in your school's counseling center.

And, clearly, the way you're studying is not working.

You need to get study advice from people who are specialized in giving study advice tailored to your learning process. Strangers on the Internet aren't likely to give you exactly what you want, but there might be educational strategists in your school's counseling center.

And, clearly, the way you're studying is not working.

or OP just isn't studying.

OP, Are you cramming and waiting until the last minute? or are you studying for a test 1week before and somewhat keeping up on the material.

When I would get a poor grade or something, I could never honestly tell myself I studied very hard and deserved better. Admitting the problem is the first step.

I agree with other posters, take fewer science courses per semester so that you are not overwhelmed. Also, try getting a tutor. I am at the end of Gen chem I right now and am in the top 10% of the class -- however, before the first exam I was freaked out because I just didn't understand the material. I got a tutor before problems started (like failing an exam and having to drop the course). Like another poster suggested, the tutor explained chem to me in a way my professor NEVER could have. It also didn't help that my chem class is 300+ students = no personal attention AT ALL. Overall, you just need to find a way to study that works for you, whether it be with other students, doing practice problems over and over again, reading the textbook over and over, getting a tutor, etc. If your school posts old exams, that could help too -- that's how I study because my current tests are similar in content and style to past exams.

Study in a group and get in the habit of trying to teach what you are learning to your group members. PM me if you are having trouble finding a tutor, I know a good website. Keep your head up and keep at it. Don't listen to people who say you can't do medicine.

Study in a group and get in the habit of trying to teach what you are learning to your group members. PM me if you are having trouble finding a tutor, I know a good website. Keep your head up and keep at it. Don't listen to people who say you can't do medicine.

I tried group studying for the first time in chemistry a while back and ended up teaching 4 people things they should have already known, lets just say i study alone now...:laugh:

I tried group studying for the first time in chemistry a while back and ended up teaching 4 people things they should have already known, lets just say i study alone now...:laugh:

Obviously selection is key

Best B I ever got lol.

But why would that bug you? Do you have to partner up or something?

I found that I just got better with experience and my lab grades tend to reflect that.

I was paired up with two other students for Gen Chem I lab, one was on top of things and the other was completely clueless. Gen Chem 2 lab was all me. When I was in Orgo lab it would irk me to see people stare at their lab manuals for 50% of the lab because they didn't know what to do and didn't prepare at all.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure the OP knew he was weak in Chem/Bio before he sat down for the exam. That's when he should be asking for assistance, not AFTER failing the exam. That's what the OP is doing wrong. Lots of people struggle with Bio and Chem, but students find other ways to absorb the material.

mgg, what have you been doing to gain a better understanding of the Chem and Bio? Have you reviewed your text? Review Khan academy? Spoke to your TA? Studied with a tutor? Worked through hours of practice exams and questions at the end of the chapter? If you haven't done some of this and you sat down to exam with a poor understanding of the material, then you haven't put enough effort into it.

Agreed, OP needs to take this to heart.

I was paired up with two other students for Gen Chem I lab, one was on top of things and the other was completely clueless. Gen Chem 2 lab was all me. When I was in Orgo lab it would irk me to see people stare at their lab manuals for 50% of the lab because they didn't know what to do and didn't prepare at all.

Agreed, OP needs to take this to heart.

My school put a stop to this by not letting students bring their manuals into the lab. You had to work off of notes that your wrote down before getting to lab. It meant that everyone knew what we were doing, and you were doomed if you messed up a number or two in your notes :laugh:. I'm almost think the clueless people would have been better.

Used Khan academy relentlessly while brushing ip on topics for MCAT. Highly recommend! :thumbup: