Chemistry B.A. vs. B.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iGolf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am majoring in Chemistry and wanted to know what the benefits of each would be. i.e. Which will better prepare me for medical school, and, if I do not get in, which will be better to have a working Chemistry job?

Members don't see this ad.

BS will probably be better for industry...

BA is a liberal arts degree and you'll have to take more humanities.

For med school it doesn't matter, I don't think. Pursue whichever degree you will enjoy more (read: you take classes that you enjoy) and will do well in.

Members don't see this ad :)
BS in Chem because the idea that you can get an arts degree in a science is just weird.

come to think of it, a guy that I work in lab with has a BA in biochem or something.. and I tease him relentlessly.

BS is only necessary if you want to continue on to get your MS or PhD. At least at my school, the BA is recommended for all the professional schools (medical, dental, pharm, etc).

my school has only one option BA in chem.. lol

I'm going for a BA in Biology because this allowed me more room to get my minor in philosophy. Makes no difference as far as med school because you have to take the necessary pre-reqs regardless. I don't know how much it matters on the route to an MS or PhD, however.

I am majoring in Chemistry and wanted to know what the benefits of each would be. i.e. Which will better prepare me for medical school, and, if I do not get in, which will be better to have a working Chemistry job?

BS is only necessary if you want to continue on to get your MS or PhD. At least at my school, the BA is recommended for all the professional schools (medical, dental, pharm, etc).

The above answer is correct however, if you are planning on using your degree as a "fall back", then you will likely end up at least picking up a masters at some point if medical school doesn't work out. There are not a ton of good jobs out there for just the bachelors level. In that case, you might be better with the B.S. which is pretty easy since you have the extra science classes for the pre-med stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
BS in Chem because the idea that you can get an arts degree in a science is just weird.

come to think of it, a guy that I work in lab with has a BA in biochem or something.. and I tease him relentlessly.

I'm getting a BA in molecular and cell biology, while my friends studying nutritional sciences/dietics are getting a BS. I would not say that their courses are more rigorous than mine (in fact, they're easier -- nutrient function+ metabolism <<<< molecular immunology and other classes). The BA/BS deal is just a matter of where the department is located at my school (whether it's in college of natural resources or in the college of letters and science).

It doesn't really matter, and you shouldn't tease people who have a BA in a science. I would smack you if you made fun of me for having a BA, and list the various reasons that I am smarter than you.

Thank you all for the prompt replies, the did help a lot.

So a follow-up question, is it not possible to go back and get a masters from a B.A.? Or is it just more difficult (more classwork). Obviously my main goal in life is to attend medical school, but it never hurts to have a backup plan.

And yes I am aware that my major does not matter for medical school, i was only asking which (B.A. or B.S.) would give me less of a "shock" when I take the MCAT / Attend medical school (yea yea, I know no matter what I take will not prepare me for med school :laugh:)

Thank you all for the prompt replies, the did help a lot.

So a follow-up question, is it not possible to go back and get a masters from a B.A.? Or is it just more difficult (more classwork). Obviously my main goal in life is to attend medical school, but it never hurts to have a backup plan.

And yes I am aware that my major does not matter for medical school, i was only asking which (B.A. or B.S.) would give me less of a "shock" when I take the MCAT / Attend medical school (yea yea, I know no matter what I take will not prepare me for med school :laugh:)

If you are applying to medical school, then perhaps your goal should be to become a doctor. ;)

I'm getting a BA in molecular and cell biology, while my friends studying nutritional sciences/dietics are getting a BS. I would not say that their courses are more rigorous than mine (in fact, they're easier -- nutrient function+ metabolism <<<< molecular immunology and other classes). The BA/BS deal is just a matter of where the department is located at my school (whether it's in college of natural resources or in the college of letters and science).

It doesn't really matter, and you shouldn't tease people who have a BA in a science. I would smack you if you made fun of me for having a BA, and list the various reasons that I am smarter than you.

you don't sound that secure in your smarts if you feel inclined to smack me :p

I will definitely respect your intelligence if you use violence. Nothing says "I'm a genius!" like physically assaulting someone.

(note: I am still teasing here, sarcasm translates poorly on the interweb)

For medical school, it does not matter if you have a BA or BS in chemistry
For MCAT, it does not matter if you have a BA or BS in chemistry

For grad school - it may or may not matter. Some schools only offer BAs in the sciences (ie Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, Princeton, etc). I doubt that grad programs will reject someone soley on having a BA in lieu of the BS. If your school offers the option of a BA vs BS, then a BS will definately help (only because you take extra classes, not the degree itself). I know plenty of PhDs (in the hard sciences) who obtained BAs as an undergrad.

In the end, a degree is the same as other degrees. What matters is the coursework that you took, how well you did in them, the LORs from professors, as well as any relevant research experiences you may have

Members don't see this ad :)
Well thank you all very much. My school (U of MN) offers a B.A. at the College of Liberal Arts, and a B.S. at the Institute of Technology (obviously both in Chemistry).

Currently I am accepted at the CLA for the B.A. in Chem, but I will need to go 3 years to attain either the B.S. or the B.A. so I have a year to take my pre-reqs and transfer if I deem necessary (to the IT).

It seems like you are joking, but just to make sure...a BA in biochemistry is no less than a BS in biochemistry. At my schoool, everyone gets a BA, it doesnt matter if you major in chemistry, phsyics, biochemistry, biology, english, history, etc.

I'm joking.

At my school (and I think all universities) you can't get a BA degree in a science.

I'm genuinely surprised you can do so in the USA.. it seems contradictory, an arts degree for a science discipline.
But whatevs.

I just don't understand how that works is all.

Yeah...here at U of Florida...I can only get a B.S. in Chemistry as far as I am aware. There are however, two different variations of degrees for some of the engineering degrees - Comp. Sci / Comp. Engineering degrees are offered both in the College of L.A / L.S. as well as College of Engineering. I think it just depends on the school - It really shouldn't have any bearing. However, I would suggest that if there is a large difference in difficulty - go for the more difficult one...if you have a good work ethic.

I'm joking.

At my school (and I think all universities) you can't get a BA degree in a science.

I'm genuinely surprised you can do so in the USA.. it seems contradictory, an arts degree for a science discipline.
But whatevs.

Yea i agree its weird ( i was confused when I first learned I would be getting a BA) to think of having a BA in physics or some other hard science, but at least at my school it just symoblizes the fact that you went to a liberal arts college and as per the requirements of the school, you have taken a large number of courses in the arts and humanities. But I dont blame you for teasin you biochem friend ;)

I'm joking.

But whatevs.

You can at U of T but in a really weird roundabout way... my friend did it so that's how I know. I agree that it seems contradictory though but I guess we're just used to the BSc/BA format in Canada.

I wish I had a BA in Chemistry. It sounds much less sucky than the BS I'm actually getting.

rofl at BA in science. Science is not an art.

And the MCAT PS section is not at all representative of what the pure sciences are like--go take the chem GRE for that (and that is even on the easy side for inorganic and physical chem imo).

I was always told that the difference between BS and BA is the number of labs and science courses you take.

I've never heard of a BA in Chemistry. It seems like an oxymoron, almost. I would think, OP, that the BS in Chemistry would help you more in getting a job in the Chemistry field; I can't speak to how that would help/hurt you for med school.

rofl at BA in science. Science is not an art.

And the MCAT PS section is not at all representative of what the pure sciences are like--go take the chem GRE for that (and that is even on the easy side for inorganic and physical chem imo).
The name of the degree doesn't matter. A lot of universities ONLY offer BAs, for historical reasons if nothing else... What they care about is how rigerous your coursework is compared to your purpose for it. For the schools that offer both chemistry options, the BS is usually for those pursuing chemistry further (to the MS/PhD level), and the BA is for those who are going on to professional schools and sometimes teaching. I know plenty of people who went on to get a masters with a BA though, so even thats not impossible.

Hell, once you get to the doctorate level, all of our teachers have philosophical degrees :p (PhD= Doctor of Philosophy... and yes, I do know that name is historical as well).

My college also offers a B.A or a B.S. Also, for a B.S. I would have to be taking calculus based physics, up to 4 quarters of it, whereas a B.A. only requires algebra-based physics. Doesn't the MCAT only test on non-calculus based physics? Thoughts?

I feel like the B.A. should be better for a future research career.. After all the B.A. will require you to take classes like English and History, giving you better writing and research skills and also broaden your critical thinking in a way that would never be possible in a strict B.S. education. A B.S. would teach you more technical skills and knowledge -- i.e. things that you would learn in graduate school anyway. (Just my personal speculation... I'm a humanities major!)

my school only has a BA w/ no pharma recruitment. with that said I got nice offers from J&J, Baxter, etc after about 200 applications when I graduated (turned them down). It was the only time that my school name mattered. I remember my baxter exp was like 3 interviews. First two crapped on me... The final interview (the director or whatever) was like oh so you went to X Univers.... nice, and closed my app. I didn't expect to get the job after how inexperienced I sounded in the first 2 interviews but got an offer anyway.

I think it depends mostly on job availability though.

I feel like the B.A. should be better for a future research career.. After all the B.A. will require you to take classes like English and History, giving you better writing and research skills and also broaden your critical thinking in a way that would never be possible in a strict B.S. education. A B.S. would teach you more technical skills and knowledge -- i.e. things that you would learn in graduate school anyway. (Just my personal speculation... I'm a humanities major!)

i think our school, biochem is a BS and chem is a BA. the difference is that chem kids have to take Pchem and Biochem kids take biochem instead. I think it is the same number of courses. Either way, our university has core requisite classes that everyone in that certain school must take... ie 6 humanities 4 languages etc

It seems like the question has already been answered sufficiently, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway:

There will be know difference when it comes to admissions or preparation.

BA will probably allow you more free elective and humanities.

BS will be more chemistry and make you more prepared/competitive for graduate school (if medicine doesn't work out)

Given the option, I'd choose a B.A.

My school doesn't even offer BA degrees ;(