Chemistry - Websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karim

The Egyptian Undergrad
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda struggling in General Chemistry I due not only to the inability of my teacher to teach but my lack of active learning. I've decided to pick up the slack and really drill this stuff. So, I was wondering...

Does anyone have any GREAT/GOOD websites which have helped you in General Chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

suprisingly, the website that is from the book publisher is often times way more helpful than the book itself, such as practice exam Q's, interactive graphs, etc. It helps me out, im in gen chem right now also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Karim, seriously, no offense but you gotta spend more time doing work than going on SDN. You have a lot of motivation but also realize that SDN is a deadly addiction. You can easily understand chemistry if you clear your mind and think about what the text is saying instead of reading it like a novel. Your time would be better spent focusing almost copmletely understanding the material than just learning how to get the right answers. Read the chapter or go over the notes a couple of times (1x, 2x, 3x usually gets it in the mind for good for me).

My motivation for this class is this 1) A test of my own intelligence...a battle between me and chemistry. So far it's a stalemate, I'm going to rape chemistry like cowgirl (convict guy thread reference) 2) The concepts will be emphasized on the MCATS. What I do not learn now only hurts me in the next 2 years when I have to take them. 3) I need to learn this stuff INDEPENDENTLY. Professors are there to help you for the most part in college, but it is you that needs to learn it by yourself for the most part. What happens when you have your own private practice and you don't understand what is happening in a new journal? College shapes you to become independent. You may not see it now, but it really is the key to success in upper level courses. 4) everything is directly applied in physics and organic chemistry.

Go out and buy the thinkwell General Chemistry CD's, I think it's thinkwell.com but do a search. They are GREAT!! It's basically video instruction on your computer, it covers the whole course on CD. It is all of the lectures and they correlate with most general chem textbooks, they refer to it as a "new generation textbook". Anyway's the instructor for the CD's, Dean Harman, is one of the Chem professors at Virginia, Great Professor. I highly recommend it if you need help.