Child&Adolescent Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verbigerations

Da Codge
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys rate the follow programs for their Child & Adult Psychiatry Fellowships?

UCSD
NYU
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
University of Pittsburgh

And could you mention any others that you have heard or know to be very exceptional but may fly under the radar. I'm currently at a non-academic oriented program and despite the immense clinical confidence I have gained I would like to be in a more structured program for the last two years of my residency. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Could you guys rate the follow programs for their Child & Adult Psychiatry Fellowships?

UCSD
NYU
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
University of Pittsburgh

And could you mention any others that you have heard or know to be very exceptional but may fly under the radar. I'm currently at a non-academic oriented program and despite the immense clinical confidence I have gained I would like to be in a more structured program for the last two years of my residency. Thanks!

FYI, Harvard has 3 child fellowships - MGH/McLean, Cambridge, and Children's Hospital.

Yeah I just found that out as I was filling out their application forms. You didn't mention your thoughts on them on super shrink? How was your application process when you did it?

Members don't see this ad :)
DISCLAIMER -- have ties to Cambridge, so I'm a bit biased

Cambridge - strong community program, great patient diversity, supportive environment, nice internal moonlighting opportunities, good work life balance, restraint free child unit, happy residents; cons - inpt consult work experience is limited (no inpt general pediatric unit associated with the hospital, so fellows do cl at Shriners), opportunities for basic science research are limited

Children's - lots of exposure to inpatient consult work, the most demanding call schedule of the three

MGH/McLean - lots of research opportunities, the folks I know there are happy, not as strong with regards to diversity/public sector work as Cambridge; nice balance as far as cl exposure, some would say Children's is too heavy, Cambridge is too limited

DISCLAIMER -- have ties to Cambridge, so I'm a bit biased

Cambridge - strong community program, great patient diversity, supportive environment, nice internal moonlighting opportunities, good work life balance, restraint free child unit, happy residents; cons - inpt consult work experience is limited (no inpt general pediatric unit associated with the hospital, so fellows do cl at Shriners), opportunities for basic science research are limited

Children's - lots of exposure to inpatient consult work, the most demanding call schedule of the three

MGH/McLean - lots of research opportunities, the folks I know there are happy, not as strong with regards to diversity/public sector work as Cambridge; nice balance as far as cl exposure, some would say Children's is too heavy, Cambridge is too limited

it's funny. I forgot that I had posted this up and was googling for reviews on Cambridge's program. I've got an interview at Cambridge and Children's and I hope to hear back from MGH as well. What year are you in at Cambridge?

I immensely enjoyed my program, but for you all it is in flyover land in South Dakota.

But good attendings, lots of hands-on, no skut work, saw everything, chance for doing anything you really wanted, and lots of jobs available in nearby regions. 3-4 colleagues, and associated regular psychiatry program with 15 residents.

hey guys, i'm bumping this thread :) ... im a pgy3 and starting to think ahead to next year. i have discovered it is really hard to find first hand information about child and adolescent fellowships. i have been trying to do research, and other than looking at the actual websites from programs, there's not much else ... i have searched this forum and there isn't a lot of discussion about programs (just about how much residents hate their child rotations..).

it would be great to get some good threads going about child and adolescent fellowships in general, as well as about specific programs. a lot of other subspecialties here on sdn have their own sub-forums and a lot of active posters. there is no reason child and adolescent psychiatry shouldn't have the same exposure! i would love to hear about people's interview experiences this year, how they ranked programs, and where they ended up, as well as what current fellows have to say about where they're at. heck, even rumors would be more helpful at this point than no information at all! :p anyone willing to bite?? :D

I immensely enjoyed my program, but for you all it is in flyover land in South Dakota.

But good attendings, lots of hands-on, no skut work, saw everything, chance for doing anything you really wanted, and lots of jobs available in nearby regions. 3-4 colleagues, and associated regular psychiatry program with 15 residents.

This will help.

:D

really? my bump went nowhere?? how can it be that there are no recently matched residents or current fellows in child and adolescent psychiatry lurking around on here???:confused::scared:

really? my bump went nowhere?? how can it be that there are no recently matched residents or current fellows in child and adolescent psychiatry lurking around on here???:confused::scared:

I put up a post about a month ago trying to see if anyone else on this site had matched into a C/A Fellowship and got no responses. So I don't think there are too many C/A people who frequent this site or they just don't post.

I'm going to be at UMich for my fellowship starting on July 1st and can't wait to start! :D

Last edited:
Or, we have graduated a while ago.

I was just referring to the amount of people who just matched into the fellowship or are currently in a fellowship. It doesn't seem like a lot of C/A's people in training or about to start training are around. If they are, I'd also love to hear from them!

(BTW, it's awesome to have a C/A trained attending who posts on this site!)

Last edited:
Feel your pain. I have found the same thing.