Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woahhhh, it's just about time to start up huh?

Edit: Am I kinda losing it or did I read somewhere when I looked this up last time that things start in March? If not... Oops. I guess no harm in starting this up early!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never too early to start thinking.

Some advice for applicants this cycle - these are some questions that I never would have thought of but find it relevant now since covid.

While the pandemic will likely be over when this batch of new fellows start in July 2022 (fingers crossed) I think how an institution responded to covid and treated its trainees speaks volumes about how much trainees are valued. If I were applying now - these are questions that I would want to find out about my programs, either directly asking or more covert ways.

1) How safe did you feel working as a fellow in your program?
2) Were there adequate PPE provided during the early months of the pandemic?
3) What were the accommodations made for remote work? (Did fellows work from home, or did they come in for unnecessary things such as outpatient, meetings, didactics)
4) Have there been any major changes in the faculty of the program during covid (ex: did many older faculty retire or quit, were there many younger faculty who left for other institutions due to burnout, etc)
5) How did your program respond to changes in volume, were fellows asked to pull double shifts on call, cover for ancillary staff, had their vacations revoked, etc?
6) How did your program overall support you during these months

I'm sure there's more but here's a start!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
application opens up during the summer I believe! Now is a good time to start thinking about who you want to ask for letters and tidying up your projects so you can write/talk about them when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reviewed the ERAS timeline recently, ERAS tokens drop in early June with applications opening for filling out shortly thereafter. Applications can be submitted to ERAS in July with programs able to review applications a few weeks after. Never too early to get a few drafts of the personal statement going and start asking for LORs!

Looking forward to future posts on the thread!

Good luck to this round of applicants! Working with children and parents can be tough but incredibly rewarding! I found sdn to be helpful in coming to my decision regarding what to look for in a program and which programs to ultimately rank highly. Happy to answer questions along the way!

Good luck everyone! I went into the application cycle with some hesitation about wanting to do CAP. Now that I'm in the fellowship, I'm enjoying the work much more than I thought I would to the point where I might want to work with only children and their families after training.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone! I went into the application cycle with some hesitation about wanting to do CAP. Now that I'm in the fellowship, I'm enjoying the work much more than I thought I would to the point where I might want to work with only children and their families after training.

This is actually fantastic to hear. I love child psychiatry, but I also really love working with psychotic adults. I'm interested in emergency psych but also I kind of envision myself seeing patients for a first break clinic and continuing to follow them. I'm glad that you've found that child fellowship is more for you than you had thought previously. That's really good to hear.

I'm pretty excited about it already and I'm not even done 2nd year yet haha!

This is actually fantastic to hear. I love child psychiatry, but I also really love working with psychotic adults. I'm interested in emergency psych but also I kind of envision myself seeing patients for a first break clinic and continuing to follow them. I'm glad that you've found that child fellowship is more for you than you had thought previously. That's really good to hear.

I'm pretty excited about it already and I'm not even done 2nd year yet haha!

I love SMI work and while you do give up a good chunk of that for most CAP work, there is plenty of severe pathology (ASD/ID, complex trauma, non-personality disordered suicidality) to make up for it in my experience. You can certainly still see some early onset psychosis and actual bipolar disorder patients if you work in any community/non-profit/academic setting and the work is much more profound when you are the first person to make a diagnosis.

I love SMI work and while you do give up a good chunk of that for most CAP work, there is plenty of severe pathology (ASD/ID, complex trauma, non-personality disordered suicidality) to make up for it in my experience. You can certainly still see some early onset psychosis and actual bipolar disorder patients if you work in any community/non-profit/academic setting and the work is much more profound when you are the first person to make a diagnosis.

I just finished a 2 month block of child and I feel like I saw so many truly psychotic kids on the unit. Our unit isn't huge, maybe like 20-25 kids inpatient at a time... and I swear I saw atleast 10 kids who were psychotic. I feel like covid has something to do with it but I don't really have much basis for comparison. Mentors here who have worked inpatient at this institution for decades seem to think something's going on as well.

Thanks so much for offering some insight. I really appreciate it!

Hi everyone! I am interested in programs on the West Coast. I was curious about how many programs we should apply to to match into competitive states like California.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I was trying to search the thread for any information on USF C&A Fellowship program without any luck. Any thoughts? Any current or past fellows?

Does anyone have an idea of whether interviews will be virtual vs. in-person this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a current Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and I absolutely love our program. We have a wonderful mix of inpatient (child unit, adolescent unit, psych peds consults) and outpatient specialty clinics (developmental disability, autism, learning disability, college mental health, residential adolescent treatment elective, juvenile prison telehealth). Living in Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh is a wonderful area with affordable housing and lots of fun things to do (beach and mountains are 2 ish hours away). Feel free to DM me with any questions. We are having a virtual Q&A for potential applications tomorrow 5/26/21 from 7:30-8:30pm EST and see here for how to register and more details:
Register here: httsp://tinyurl.com/y54bc37u

Is it better to apply on time with an incomplete app or wait to get everything before applying? Still waiting on all LORs, not sure if I'll have any in time.

Is it better to apply on time with an incomplete app or wait to get everything before applying? Still waiting on all LORs, not sure if I'll have any in time.
Apply with everything you have without those letters as long as everything else is complete. The LORs can come later.

Apply with everything you have without those letters as long as everything else is complete. The LORs can come later.

I feel stuck. My letters are all in and being verified but I'm a PGY-3 and my PD attestation letter has hit a roadblock of sorts. From what I've heard from coordinators, they like this included as part of the ERAS application and not emailed to the program separately.

I was hoping to have everything in by the end of this week, but there's next to no chance that this letter's going to be ready this month let alone this week. I might just call a program or two to make sure it's okay with them to include it separately later so it doesn't delay the rest of the application.

Womp.

The PD attestation letter for fast-tracking is typically appended to the letter of recommendation they write you. Mine wasn't submitted by my PD until the first week or two of August, well after I had already submitted my application.

Anxiety through the roof! When will the programs start sending out IV? Well, I guess it is too early…

Just got an email from Cambridge Health Alliance Program basically saying that they will review the complete applications… ugh.

Attestation forms are a real pain for us. Some programs consider applications incomplete before these are sent in. Other more reasonable programs don't require this before they decide which applicants they are going to invite. The best programs, wait until they decide who they are interested in and just ask us for clinical skills exams and statements about being in good standing and such. There is no convention in this and it needs to get better. I have a lot of criticism for fellowships in general, but this is an obvious place where things could be done better for both applicants and adult programs. At least the moniker of adult programs and child programs are well named in my opinion.

When I talked to my PD about my letter of rec I thought It was odd when he made a point to tell me he knew exactly how to do the attestation and make sure it was in on time. I guess now I understand why it was a big deal.

Should we start a copy paste thread for interviews received and date received by program? Help people know what’s been sent out and when type of thing in case.

Last edited:
Copy and paste this post to add. Do it alphabetically and by state.

Missouri
Wash U (7/22 DOBound2019)

Side note for ERAS-

Would you use a photo of you without a tie if you're wearing a navy blazer? I have one I used for residency with a tie etc, but I look like a stiff and I hate it. The other picture feels more 'me' but doesn't have a tie.

The PD attestation letter for fast-tracking is typically appended to the letter of recommendation they write you. Mine wasn't submitted by my PD until the first week or two of August, well after I had already submitted my application.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll likely submit my app today or tomorrow with the letter pending.
PD had already submitted the LOR so I had to make another request through the system.

Side note for ERAS-

Would you use a photo of you without a tie if you're wearing a navy blazer? I have one I used for residency with a tie etc, but I look like a stiff and I hate it. The other picture feels more 'me' but doesn't have a tie.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll likely submit my app today or tomorrow with the letter pending.
PD had already submitted the LOR so I had to make another request through the system.
I don't think it matters ...? But then again I am on the younger side. Most of the CAP PDs I know (in my area at least) are more casual and "hip". Maybe the older more traditional PD might care.

Personally I would pick the one you like the most!

Side note for ERAS-

Could be worth it to take a different headshot then with a portrait photographer who will actually tell you what to do (how to pose, which angle looks best for you and your hair, jawline, etc. You can even get a more modern tie or bow tie with a different pattern, size, or fabric.

We had two candidates that didn't wear a tie out of about 70-80. It might make you stick out and there are pretty traditional folks out there looking at your application, but have no effect in the quality of that fellowship program.

Missouri
Wash U 7/22 (DOBound2019)

Wisconsin
University of Wisc hospital systems 7/26 (DOBound2019)

@Monocles @clozareal
Picked the one with a tie that I used for residency as well. I liked the other picture better... what a bummer. I look so much older in this one but hey it "worked" last time.
:rofl:

Also @Monocles , I can't believe you're an attending already. I feel like it was just a few months ago when you were giving us all residency/CAP advice when I was an MS4. Time really does fly.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Missouri

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Missouri

Wisconsin

3 already?! Wow, that’s great, congrats!

How have people been approaching the personal statement? I am realizing now (after submitting, lol) that some programs specify that they want a more autobiographical sketch for the personal statement, whereas my approach was to talk more about an interesting case and future goals. Debating whether to adjust the personal statement... any advice?

How have people been approaching the personal statement? I am realizing now (after submitting, lol) that some programs specify that they want a more autobiographical sketch for the personal statement, whereas my approach was to talk more about an interesting case and future goals. Debating whether to adjust the personal statement... any advice?
Honestly unless the program was something I knew was going to be top of my list I didn’t even pay attention to it. My PD told me a PS is more of a conversation starter for the interviews anyway and rarely factor into interview invites or rankings. But maybe there’s some CAP attendings in here who might know more.

Question how’s everyone feeling about Tulane’s CAP program this cycle. With the whole GME being put on probation until 2022 I feel like it just has to be off my list despite it looking like a fabulous program. Especially with the chance to work with someone like Dr. Zeanah but going to a program on probation :/. Even if it seems like their particular program doesn’t seem to have been part of the whole issue.

Question how’s everyone feeling about Tulane’s CAP program this cycle. With the whole GME being put on probation until 2022 I feel like it just has to be off my list despite it looking like a fabulous program. Especially with the chance to work with someone like Dr. Zeanah but going to a program on probation :/. Even if it seems like their particular program doesn’t seem to have been part of the whole issue.

Whats the harm in applying?

I'm not a CAP person, but child fellowships have trouble filling and there is no shortage of applicants. Most programs interview almost all applicants who apply.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Maryland
U of Maryland 7/23 (FreudeverJung)

Missouri

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic 7/28 (BearsBeetsBatlestar)

Missouri

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic 7/28 (BearsBeetsBatlestar, DOBound2019)

Missouri

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA-Kern Medical Center 7/28 (Peonybloc)

Maryland

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic 7/28 (BearsBeetsBatlestar, DOBound2019)

Missouri

Wisconsin

I'm not a CAP person, but child fellowships have trouble filling and there is no shortage of applicants. Most programs interview almost all applicants who apply.
Do you think if the plan is to be in academics places might have pause because of the scandal despite the psych department itself not really being involved.

apply, interview, get more information, and decide where they land on your rank list if at all. i would 100% bring this up during your interview there and see what they say. you don't have to make a decision right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think if the plan is to be in academics places might have pause because of the scandal despite the psych department itself not really being involved.
Scandals are fairly frequent and no one will attach any mud on a fellow over this. If the program has good teachers and one or two scandals, time will heal all wounds amazingly quickly. Institutional memory is very short at good places.

Reactions: 1 users