Choosing between UVA and UMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djtanner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am choosing between UVA and UMD for medical school. I really love both schools. I am in-state for UMD but attended at Virginia public school for UG. I love the atmosphere at UVA but concerned about how well their accelerated curriculum prepares students for Step 1. UMD's traditional curriculum seems like it would be a safer choice. I am interested in pediatrics with a specialization for residency. Does anyone have an opinion based on experience at either of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

UVA's prestige MAY help a little more if your aim is to get into a competitive specialty or academic medicine. In that aspect UVA might beat UMD, though I think they have a great reputation as well. Also the 1.5 year preclinical helps if you don't really know what you want to do. However, since you already know you want to do peds, a not very competitive speciality, the extra prestige boost plus the 1.5 year preclinical might not be super useful for you. I guess in the end it depends on how much you're willing to pay to go to UVA over UMD - is it worth 100k plus interest to you?

You seem to like UMD's curriculum more and it's cheaper. Go UMD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you go anywhere else other than UMD for your MD? :horns:

See what I did there? :laugh:

I am choosing between UVA and UMD for medical school. I really love both schools. I am in-state for UMD but attended at Virginia public school for UG. I love the atmosphere at UVA but concerned about how well their accelerated curriculum prepares students for Step 1. UMD's traditional curriculum seems like it would be a safer choice. I am interested in pediatrics with a specialization for residency. Does anyone have an opinion based on experience at either of these schools?

If I'm not mistaken, UMD is letter graded while UVA is p/f. I've heard that the grading at UMD fosters a very competitive atmosphere, and I really don't doubt it. Pass fail makes a huge difference. If a med student there could elaborate on this, it'd probably be really insightful.

If I'm not mistaken, UMD is letter graded while UVA is p/f. I've heard that the grading at UMD fosters a very competitive atmosphere, and I really don't doubt it. Pass fail makes a huge difference. If a med student there could elaborate on this, it'd probably be really insightful.

P/f vs. ABCDF would be a deal breaker for me (in favor of p/f).

I don't think an accelerated program is really much of an issue, since students in even 1-year preclinical schools do fine. It may be a little overwhelming at first but definitely possible to adjust. Also...

P/f vs. ABCDF would be a deal breaker for me (in favor of p/f).

Yeah P/F wins this easily over the graded scheme.

To clarify, UVA is P/F 1st, 2nd, and 4th year. Third year is A-F. That said, I didn't think the atmosphere was competitive.

And the 1.5 year curriculum prepares you plenty well for Step 1. And if you're more of a clinical person (like me), having those extra months to do clinical rotations was amazing.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. This was definitely the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I decided to go with UVA for a few reasons. Since I am a bit of a high strung person, I think P/F could be really beneficial for my mental health. I also love their emphasis on active learning and collaboration. My boyfriend of four years is also going to UVA, and I really like the idea of having an extra support system in place (although a lot of people would say this is a dumb reason, for me having emotional support nearby is really crucial for being successful). I really wish I could just go to both schools since they are both so wonderful though. I hope someone else can take my UMD spot.