This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalscience808

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma that I really need to make on my own but can't seem to grasp both options. I have applied to vet school already for Fall 2018 and am currently taking 13 credits online through CSU while working full-time. This semester, I am taking my last remaining prerequisite as well as other classes (like anatomy and histology) that I know will help for vet school. My debate now is whether I should go to Colorado for spring to take additional classes to help me prepare. If I don't go, I will continue to take online classes and work in my home state. Here are the sides that I see so far.

-Taking classes in person will help prepare me for vet school since I have been attending online for about a year.
-I will be able to take labs that will assist me in school that just aren't possible from a distance.
-My parents are pushing for me to go this spring, and will be funding the venture, although I don't want to spend so much money on housing/full tuition when I don't NEED to.
-None of the courses are required and I will still be able to take some classes online if I don't go.
-I have a boyfriend of 3 years at home who will not be coming with me. We will be long distance for vet school but I'm not sure that I am okay with leaving earlier than needed.
-I have a full-time job currently and it's not guaranteed that I will be able to get an applicable job there.

If anyone could offer their opinion or advice on whether I should go or stay for spring I would greatly appreciate it! I'm stuck in the decision need to register for classes in about a month. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

do you already have a degree? If so I wouldn't take any more classes / spend any more money than you have to. Try to convince your parents they should save the money they would be giving you and apply it to vet school tuition/living expenses.

I wouldn't even take online courses unless you are doing it to obtain a bachelors degree.

If your parents are helping fund things, taking some extra classes certainly isn't going to hurt. I would be lost in Immunology right now if I hadn't taken it in undergrad. Cellular biology (upper division), neurology, histology are all good courses to take in undergrad as well. Some of the students in my class have had undergraduate classes with the veterinary professors and they are having a much easier time with those classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was in a similar situation only I wouldn't have to move. I went ahead and took the extra class I wanted only because I had scholarship to pay for it. I'm in 8crh now and I feel the class I chose to take was really beneficial but all the other classes I picked up as fillers aren't nearly as beneficial despite being biology based. If you really feel you need classes in person why not go to a school in your state? Living in FoCo is expensive, CSU is expensive even if your parents are funding, and I25 traffic atrocious. Plus don't put unnecessary strain on your relationship. I've been with my bf for 4 years and he's going to come with me to vet school because with the job he's planning to do and vet school it's going to be hard enough living together let alone trying long distance for 4 quite stressful years of my life. I would save your parents money. It's not worth the extra money you could save by working which in turn you can put to tuition should you get in. If I wasn't on full scholarship I would have graduated last year. You may struggle a bit more in neuro in vet school if you didn't take it in undergrad but I guarantee you won't be the only one and I can't justify spending extra money on an undergrad semester when it may not help in the end anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Most, if not all, undergrad classes that are bio based are covered with the first few weeks of vet school. Whatever advantage you have by taking that one class is gone within weeks. The only people who I have seen have a true advantage are those who majored in neuroscience or genetics or whatever, and then they only had that advantage for that one class.

I agree with the above statements of saving the money and time now. As already stated, Colorado has an expensive (and rising) cost of living. Don't spend the money if you don't have to.

Reactions: 3 users
Most, if not all, undergrad classes that are bio based are covered with the first few weeks of vet school. Whatever advantage you have by taking that one class is gone within weeks. The only people who I have seen have a true advantage are those who majored in neuroscience or genetics or whatever, and then they only had that advantage for that one class.

I agree with the above statements of saving the money and time now. As already stated, Colorado has an expensive (and rising) cost of living. Don't spend the money if you don't have to.
Thisssss! I second this! I was a biochemistry & molecular biology major, while it's really nice to not have to worry about cell physiology, that fun period of success lasted 3 weeks because then we moved on to neurophys. And just because you're doing well in one class doesn't mean you're not getting rekked in another class (see: Histology). I'd only take the extra classes if you're really really passionate about it- if not, there's no point in unnecessarily hating yourself for two semesters in a row with the same material.

Reactions: 1 users