Christian Bible Quotes for Pre-med Inspiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the Lord gives and the Lord takes away

Members don't see this ad.

Dr2010 said:
i dont think you could be more wrong. The truths found in the old testament speak volumes about the character and nature of God's person, applicable to all christians and jews. Furthermore, the prophecies fulfilled in the new testament are meaningless without the old testament to show there basis. The countless characters and events in the stories of the old testament tell alot about who God is and how we can come to know him better, its not just the torah.

I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread, but I'm bored. So you do realize that there are no prophesies in the "Old Testament" that are fulfilled by the New? If I could prove that to you in Hebrew, would that mean the New Testament is meaningless (your word)?

(Seriously, people are entitled to their beliefs. It just bugs me when people take my holy book and mis-translate and mis-interpret it to justify their beliefs, and in the process say my own are no longer valid)

"...and jezereth told unto jesebiah who came upon davideth who bowed before mary the mother of hellibeth: peaches in the bush, ye cows shall, and the evil shall perish"

...and that is why pigs do not fly...

seriously though, there was this one crazy guy in front of my house the other day, and he just kept ramblin and ramblin on and on....i don't know what the hell he was reading, but it sure as hell wasn't any legitimate religious text...

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
the Lord gives and the Lord takes away

one of my personal favorites
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1 Timothy 6:10

bewitched1081 said:
"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Mark 11: 22-24

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

this is exactly what i think my waitlist can do for me - teach me patience and faith! :)

one I truely love:

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4. 7.

tigress said:
I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread, but I'm bored. So you do realize that there are no prophesies in the "Old Testament" that are fulfilled by the New? If I could prove that to you in Hebrew, would that mean the New Testament is meaningless (your word)?

(Seriously, people are entitled to their beliefs. It just bugs me when people take my holy book and mis-translate and mis-interpret it to justify their beliefs, and in the process say my own are no longer valid)

Hey tigress
Well I am bored too, so here I am posting :)

tigress could you tell me how you believe the following prophecy was not fulfilled? thank you.

OLD
Zec.9:9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. (Isa.62:11)

NEW
Jn.12:13-14 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the King of Israel!" Jesus found a young donkey and sat upon it, as it is written. (Mt.21:1-11; Jn.12:12, Mk.11:7-9.)

Thanks

" but those who hope in the lord will renew thier strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Isaiah 40.31

tigress said:

Tigress in fact there are a prophesies in the OT that were fulfilled in the NT. Take the birth of Jesus for example. Isaih prophesied it in Isaiah 7:14:
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Immanuel is another name for Christians for Jesus. He is Emmanuel, God with us, The Messiah, the Promised One. There are a lot more of those but thats just one example for you.

drlexygoat said:
Go read somewhere else.

If you don't like christian material, don't click on a thread that reads "Christian Bible Quotes."

agreed. :thumbup:

C.S. Lewis:

"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."

radioh3ad said:
C.S. Lewis:

"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."

"Surprised by Joy" right. I love that book. Its one of my favorites.

Members don't see this ad :)
erin682 said:
"Surprised by Joy" right. I love that book. Its one of my favorites.

actually it's not. :oops: i don't want to give this one away.

the quote in itself might not mean much to anyone if they haven't gone through seemingly meaningless and hopeless hardships.

radioh3ad said:
actually it's not. :oops: i don't want to give this one away.

the quote in itself might not mean much to anyone if they haven't gone through seemingly meaningless and hopeless hardships.

Right yeah I figured out where that one's from now. I knew I recognized it. It is a really good quote. I love his Shadowlands philosophy.

erin682 said:
Right yeah I figured out where that one's from now. I knew I recognized it. It is a really good quote. I love his Shadowlands philosophy.

"it's all in Plato: bless me, what do they teach them at these schools!"

My fav: 1 Timothy 1:12

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service."

Also a note: some of the postings in this thread just break my heart, postings from both sides of the conflict. For those of you that think "religion" has nothing to do with medicine, please realize that for many, and not just those of the Christian faith, cite their faith as one of the motivational factors leading them to pursue medicine as a profession. (Incidentally, I detest the use of the word "religion" when used to describe my personal beliefs but I will use it hear for expediency. Anyone that actually cares is free to IM me and I will further elucidate my views on the subject). Its rather unfair to say "religion" has nothing to do with medicine and/or does not belong in pre-allo because faith is not a motivating factor FOR YOU. There are plenty of threads discussing "why you want to be a doctor" that speak to clinical experiences, etc. We all have those, this is another facet for some of us.

Also, I will repeat my request that people not make generalized assumptions about people that profess subscription to the Christian faith based on the presentation that gets the most airtime in the media, or Christians that support this political figure or that political figure, etc.Posting a Bible verse for the edification of other interested parties is not synonymous with shouting "You're going to hell!", supporting a political candidate, or trying to "convert" anyone. I have posted my views on this elsewhere. I think, however, that it is safe to say that for the vast majority of the Christian population on this site, all of us wrestle with the internal struggles of the Church as a whole (the so-called "little c" catholic church). Most of us here probably dislike the same things those of you that do not label yourselves as Christians dislike in Christians. Not every "premed" is the same and not every "Christian" is the same.

a few quotes from my religious practice, both for the argument of christian/non-christian and the thread itself:

Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth.

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary, you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion.

All philosophies are mental fabrications. There has never been a single doctrine by which one could enter the true essence of things.

The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
1 Peter 4:10 - "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others..."

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31

btw, have any of you heard of faithbuddies?

i just signed up for it and it looks pretty cool, especially since i've been out of undergrad for a while...plus it has a lot of group features like event calendars and announcements that are helpful to things like small groups

Bump of an awesome thread from the last decade!

Mine is 1 John 3:17-18. "If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

Tigress in fact there are a prophesies in the OT that were fulfilled in the NT. Take the birth of Jesus for example. Isaih prophesied it in Isaiah 7:14:
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Immanuel is another name for Christians for Jesus. He is Emmanuel, God with us, The Messiah, the Promised One. There are a lot more of those but thats just one example for you.

You do know that that's entirely based on a mis-translation, right? The people who wrote the gospels were working from the Septuagint, which was a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible. The term used in Hebrew was "almah" which means young woman, not virgin ( which would be "betulah"). This was translated into Greek using the term "parthenon" which can mean either a young woman or a virgin, and was obviously mistaken to mean virgin by the gospel writers. The virgin birth was described in order to fit a "prophecy" which never existed in the first place.

You can call Jesus Emmanuel if you want to, but that won't make the text in Isaiah refer to a virgin or to Jesus.

If you actually read the chapter in Isaiah, it's quite clear that he was referring to a contemporary woman who would give birth shortly.

Read the books by Bart Ehrmann.

You do know that that's entirely based on a mis-translation, right? The people who wrote the gospels were working from the Septuagint, which was a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible. The term used in Hebrew was "almah" which means young woman, not virgin ( which would be "betulah"). This was translated into Greek using the term "parthenon" which can mean either a young woman or a virgin, and was obviously mistaken to mean virgin by the gospel writers. The virgin birth was described in order to fit a "prophecy" which never existed in the first place.

You can call Jesus Emmanuel if you want to, but that won't make the text in Isaiah refer to a virgin or to Jesus.

If you actually read the chapter in Isaiah, it's quite clear that he was referring to a contemporary woman who would give birth shortly.

Read the books by Bart Ehrmann.
You just responded to a post from 2006.

Reactions: 2 users
You just responded to a post from 2006.
It was on the front page...not their fault. The 10yr old thread was intentionally resurrected, I guess so they could move their discussion here instead of continuing to derail other threads with this subject. If they have also resurrected the debates that this thread sparked when it was first made, well...that was also something they knowingly brought back :shrug:

It was on the front page...not their fault. The 10yr old thread was intentionally resurrected, I guess so they could move their discussion here instead of continuing to derail other threads with this subject. If they have also resurrected the debates that this thread sparked when it was first made, well...that was also something they knowingly brought back :shrug:
Lol, I was just teasing. Not long ago, I responded to one of @Tired's posts from like 2007, knowing full well that it was a post from 8 years ago or so :laugh:

"And the Pharisees and their scribes murmured at His disciples, saying, Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?
And Jesus answered and said to them, Those who are healthy have no need of a physician, but those who are ill;
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
- Luke 5:30-32

"But moreover I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse that I may gain Christ."
- Phil 3:8

Kings 2:23

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you bald head! Go up, you bald head!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the Lord. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

people up in this thread

Michael-THE-THRILLER-Jackson-michael-jackson-19046718-650-772.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
When i am lost and need guidance there are a few passages i feel I can always turn to..

"The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army, their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women ripped open by swords." (Hosea 13:16 NLT)

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all ? old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Amen

I think it is a grave error to equate the old testament with Christian beliefs. After all, the OT is basically the Torah. I really wish Christian bibles did away with it because it completely contradicts the teachings of Christ.

The old testament is equally as important as the new testament.

"The women are to keep silent in assemblies; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to submit themselves, just as the Law also says.
If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

Bible passages always inspire something in me!

Reactions: 6 users
"The women are to keep silent in assemblies; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to submit themselves, just as the Law also says.
If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

I love you.

In order to understand the Bible properly we have to look at the context of the situation. I am glad you did that and understand the text :)
http://newlife.id.au/equality-and-gender-issues/interpretations-applications-1-cor-14_34-35/

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me'." (Matthew 25:40)

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
-Ezekiel 25:17

Reactions: 1 users
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
-Ezekiel 25:17
Bad Mother#$@# LOL
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Oh Lord, at the risk of stepping into something, I simply share this. That quote had to do with the Jewish culture as it was already established--and orthodox still separate men from women--not reformed Jews. Point was this. The apostle didn't want to cause needless trouble within the established culture. You can't compare things of another, totally different time, place, and culture without truly understanding the time, place, culture--and orthodoxy that was pretty well established. There was already enough concern and issues with moving forward with a fledgling Church-body of believers. Just as Christ's priority was not political change, and for which he was belittled for lack of many not understanding, so was Paul's priority not about get caught up in disrupting the politico-cultural dynamics of the day. As such he issued the wisdom for the best approach of the day/time. Christianity wasn't meant to be primarily about changing sociopolitical dynamics but spiritual ones. If you miss that--its primary purpose, you can easily misunderstand what that statement re: cultural prudence was about. Sigh, this almost always is a point of confusion both inside and outside of religious circles.

Of course, no one will care and people will kick the stone that still gives water;--or spit in the well where the water runs fresh, but whatever.

In order to understand the Bible properly we have to look at the context of the situation. I am glad you did that and understand the text :)
http://newlife.id.au/equality-and-gender-issues/interpretations-applications-1-cor-14_34-35/
Oh exactly! The context (and underlying assumptions which drive it) is definitely one source of my inspiration when reading these passages! In fact, upon reading your link I became even more inspired than before! :thumbup:

Admittedly, my first post was mostly the idle chatter which I am of course predisposed to. I thank you for putting up with my rudimentary education and enlightening me.

just because your prophet can be resurrected doesn't mean an 11 year old thread should be.
also, @PREDOCSIMP is the worst poster ever.
Hey now, they're clearly newer to forums than you'd think from the post count, but they are tactful enough. Personal attacks will get you in needless trouble.

Hey now, they're clearly newer to forums than you'd think from the post count, but they are tactful enough. Personal attacks will get you in needless trouble.

calling someone "the worst poster ever" is a personal attack? are you new to the internet? And I wouldn't consider it tactful to tell a poster that he is "unprofessional and should delete his post" for mentioning allah. lol

@PREDOCSIMP Same person to call me a bigot for saying he shouldn't equate a persons identity of being homosexual to a simple preference.. Not much tact there

See my response above. All other things considered, this was the primary purpose, and, as well, to reduce the noise. There was already enough coming from those men too quick to speak without taking the time and patience to pray and learn. Avoiding conflict and confusion was the goal--especially in light of ages of orthodoxy regarding this matter. Overall, most cultures, Judeo or otherwise placed women in a lower social level in the hierarchy. And yes there in Old Covenant Scripture that deals with the hierarchy. But it's not about anyone being better. It was about order and survival.

calling someone "the worst poster ever" is a personal attack? are you new to the internet?
It's all about context. In the context of a thread revolving around religion, small things tend to blow up waayyyyyy faster.

Calling someone the worst poster ever? Generally not a TOS issue.
Calling someone the worst poster ever for enthusing about their religion in a thread where doing so seems to be sanctioned? Pricklier than usual.

I always figure, if you're going to get in trouble, it should at least be for a really good or funny post! You probably won't have issues, but...why risk it over something that tapioca? Of course, what was meant to be a minor aside has now been over-talked, so either way I end up as the annoying one. Ah, well. As I said, I just tend to fear disproportionate consequences in threads about sensitive subjects.

@PREDOCSIMP Same person to call me a bigot for saying he shouldn't equate a persons identity of being homosexual to a simple preference.. Not much tact there
I was going on immediate context...I don't have the mental fortitude to delve into the post history of everyone I talk to on here. :shrug:

It's all about context. In the context of a thread revolving around religion, small things tend to blow up waayyyyyy faster.

Calling someone the worst poster ever? Generally not a TOS issue.
Calling someone the worst poster ever for enthusing about their religion in a thread where doing so is sanctioned? Pricklier than usual.

I always figure, if you're going to get in trouble, it should at least be for a really good or funny post! You probably won't have issues, but...why risk it over something that tapioca?

it had nothing to do with their posts "enthusing about their religion," it was about them being a dick to people because of their religion.