Christian Bible Quotes for Pre-med Inspiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is for the few who will use it.

[. . .] You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives [. . .].
James 4: 2-3

"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Mark 11: 22-24

[. . .] if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us ? whatever we ask ? we know that we have what we asked of him.
1 John 5: 14-15

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

if you love God and know that He wants you to go into medicine, lift up everything to Him and believe! if you don't know God, then pray anyway. seek and you will find!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Originally posted by bewitched1081
this is for the few who will use it.

[. . .] You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive because you ask with wrong motives [. . .].
James 4: 2-3

"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Mark 11: 22-24

[. . .] if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us ? whatever we ask ? we know that we have what we asked of him.
1 John 5: 14-15

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

if you love God and know that He wants you to go into medicine, lift up everything to Him and believe! if you don't know God, then pray anyway. seek and you will find!

AMEN! Great quotes:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this post walks a fine line between needing to be moved or closed or being just fine. I think if I modify the title to make it a bit more representative of what the thread is about, I'm happier that way.

Originally posted by Neuronix
I think this post walks a fine line between needing to be moved or closed or being just fine. I think if I modify the title to make it a bit more representative of what the thread is about, I'm happier that way.
I don't think it should be closed because the thread wasn't flaming anyone. Maybe it could be moved to the everyone forum if you feel uncomfortable about the material.

Originally posted by Sharky
I don't think it should be closed because the thread wasn't flaming anyone. Maybe it could be moved to the everyone forum if you feel uncomfortable about the material.

Agreed. There is a policy that prophetizing (e.g. posting material in attempts to convert others to your faith) is not allowed, but I think this is alright. Because the op's intention was for this message to go to pre-meds, I figured I'd leave it for any pre-meds who would like to read it/use it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
go preach somewhere else

Reactions: 1 users
Or, conversely, you have the option of not reading a thread that is clearly titled... choose not to be preached to.

Originally posted by Neuronix
Agreed. There is a policy that prophetizing (e.g. posting material in attempts to convert others to your faith) is not allowed, but I think this is alright. Because the op's intention was for this message to go to pre-meds, I figured I'd leave it for any pre-meds who would like to read it/use it.

proselytizing

good job, Neuronix...I think you did the right thing because this is directed, it seems, more to people who are already Christian than to non-Christians for the purpose of converting them.

hahaha. laughing at the thread title edit. if you're interested the original thread title, it was: if you want it, ask for it! you know, everyone has a philosophy of life. whether it has to do with a supreme being or not, they are nonetheless beliefs that you hold. if i told everyone that the way to get into medical school was to get good grades and make good connections it would still be a part of my belief system that i would be sharing with you all. i dont see the difference between the two. anyway, its up to you what you want to say is allowed on sdn.

Originally posted by wire
go preach somewhere else

Go read somewhere else.

If you don't like christian material, don't click on a thread that reads "Christian Bible Quotes."

Reactions: 1 user
When i am lost and need guidance there are a few passages i feel I can always turn to..

"The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army, their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women ripped open by swords." (Hosea 13:16 NLT)

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all ? old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a grave error to equate the old testament with Christian beliefs. After all, the OT is basically the Torah. I really wish Christian bibles did away with it because it completely contradicts the teachings of Christ.

Originally posted by JKDMed
I think it is a grave error to equate the old testament with Christian beliefs. After all, the OT is basically the Torah. I really wish Christian bibles did away with it because it completely contradicts the teachings of Christ.

probably, but you know that I am obviously just posting those for ****s and giggles

flame shield, full power

Originally posted by JKDMed

bravo! If the Bible consisted soley of Christs teachings (Sermon on the Mount, etc) I would consider myself a Christian. It seems more people who call themselves Christian (Christ-like) would listen to what He himself preached. Instead, some prefer what one person said in a letter to another group of people as the "Word of God".

This thread is inappropriate for Pre allo, it should be moved to Everyone if not closed altogether.

CCW

Originally posted by drlexygoat
Go read somewhere else.

If you don't like christian material, don't click on a thread that reads "Christian Bible Quotes."

This thread equates to yelling fire in a crowded theater. The fact that it creates a circus is inherent in the material itself. The OP should know by now that whenever a thread like this is started, it turns into a denigration war and raises very very personal feelings on both sides and generates zero positive discussion.

At least, please move it to everyone. I can't see any reason that this post has anything to do with pre-allo. The everyone forum is a caustic powerhouse anyway...so any flame wars on this thread would be more at home.

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
This thread is inappropriate for Pre allo, it should be moved to Everyone if not closed altogether.

CCW

agreed

Yeah... Well if the thread continues to carry on a negative tone I will close it. I don't like closing a reasonable thread based on its responses, but that's the way it has to be sometimes.

As for what to do with the thread, I think anything I do with the thread (including nothing) is going to be unpopular with some people, so I just have to do what I think is right.

my 2 cents:

i'm not christian, but i have nothing against christians who want to post quotes that are meant to make fellow christian pre-meds feel better (or anyone else who feels like reading it). for those that don't care for these quotes, why click on the thread? there are thousands of others to look at!!!

so, to the OP and others, please, feel free to keep posting :) that's what this country's all about after all......

are there any preachers kids applying?

Sorry, didn't mean to be so negative (went back and read my post) but the scripture quoted isn't even upilfting in my opinion.

I just don't think this thread is particularly helpful to the forum's health as a whole. Regardless of whether or not people "should" click on the thread, they will. That doesn't really help things very much.

CCW

I just don't think this thread is particularly helpful to the forum's health as a whole. Regardless of whether or not people "should" click on the thread, they will. That doesn't really help things very much.

CCW

I have to agree here. Regardless of whether or not I should click on this thread to read it, it shouldn't be here. No one has to click on a post about say...a football team that someone starts, but what good does that post do for the forum? How does it relate to pre-meds? It doesn't, and in my opinion, neither does this one and therefore it should be moved.

CCW

Nonsense. There have been plenty of threads dealing with different methods of coping with the stresses of undergrad., the MCAT and getting into med school. Someone asking for organic chemistry advice, strategies for tackling the MCAT, interview advice, etc.- none of these have ever been attacked to this degree because someone disagreed with the methods. Prayer, meditation and the like is just another method of coping. And whether you believe in a God or not, such methods, from a health standpoint, have been proven over and over to be effective.

It's quite sad that the original purpose of this post has been transformed from a list of inspirational quotes to one similar to an O'Reilly Factor segment concerning the traditionalist v. secularist battle. So if you disagree with this thread don't waste your time clicking and posting on it.

Lastly, I attempt to bring this thread back to it's orginal intent, with this segue - my favorite biblical quote that I turn to when stressed or worried:

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee:
Be not dismayed; for I am thy God:
I will strengthen thee; yea I will help thee;
yea I will hold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Isiah 41:10

1 Cor. 1:18-19

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Originally posted by MedJoe
Nonsense. There have been plenty of threads dealing with different methods of coping with the stresses of undergrad.,

Personally, I really like sports to deal with my stress (both playing and watching my favorites sports teams). With this being the case, is it ok for me to post about my favorite sports teams and discuss them with other users in the pre-allo board since that helps me cope with my stress?

If you say yes, then you open up a floodgate for people to post whatever they want that "helps them cope" with being a pre-med. This board would be completely over-run with useless threads. In my opinion, both my sports threads and this thread fall into this category of posts. With that being said, what exempts this thread?

This thread equates to yelling fire in a crowded theater
CCW

And the thread is hijacked again!

I don't think this thread presents a "clear and present danger" which is what yelling "fire!" It can seem somewhat abrasive to non-christians, but the general tone was not threatening in nature.

So, annoying perhaps, but not demeaning.

(that being said, I think it should probably be in Everyone or Lounge...just a little more appropriate is all)

Nonsense. There have been plenty of threads dealing with different methods of coping with the stresses of undergrad., the MCAT and getting into med school. Someone asking for organic chemistry advice, strategies for tackling the MCAT, interview advice, etc.- none of these have ever been attacked to this degree because someone disagreed with the methods.

But those have a direct relationship with medicine/medical school. Religion does not. Besides threads of this nature always degenerate into nasty little spats.

Originally posted by facted
Personally, I really like sports to deal with my stress (both playing and watching my favorites sports teams). With this being the case, is it ok for me to post about my favorite sports teams and discuss them with other users in the pre-allo board since that helps me cope with my stress?

If you say yes, then you open up a floodgate for people to post whatever they want that "helps them cope" with being a pre-med. This board would be completely over-run with useless threads. In my opinion, both my sports threads and this thread fall into this category of posts. With that being said, what exempts this thread?

Both you and I know that had you started a thread entitled "What Kind of Things Do You Do to Deal with MedStress?" in this forum, it would never be questioned. But the fact of the matter is, there's another issue in this thread, and that is that it makes us think about something that isn't exactly all that comfortable to think about.

Everyone knows that there might just be a little something to the whole idea of Christianity, having to be accountable, and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. So, rather than facing the issue, they say "this thread has no place in this forum..." It's kind of like when you were a little kid and you would put the covers over you when you were scared; if you can't see it, then it must not exist. If you can't see this thread, then the issue might not exist.

People say "this thread doesn't belong here," but that's just an excuse.

This thread is far more inflammatory than asking for chemistry help. In life, you pick and choose your battles, and this thread will generate some hurt feelings and vile invectives, as threads like it have always done in the past.

As more people see and respond to this thread, it will just deteriorate and deteriorate. Please ask yourself how you would feel it someone posted a "Quotes from the Book of Satan to lift the spirits of my fellow Satanists" in this forum. This thread should be moved. In fact, it may be a good idea to begin a few "faith forums" where people can talk openly and honestly about their faiths.

There certainly is a time and place for discourse about faith, and it is certainly very important in the lives of many many people. But that time is not now and that place is not here.

CCW

Originally posted by dan0909

Everyone knows that there might just be a little something to the whole idea of Christianity, having to be accountable, and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

What does this have to do with medicine and being a pre-med? I fully respect your religious ideas, but how they relate to being a pre-med and getting into med school (aside from praying a whole lot), is a bit beyond me. I personally think that this board is more about: what class should I take? what school should I apply to? how does the admissions process work? etc... I really doubt this forum was started as a place for people to preach their religious ideals to others (and that's exactly what you just did in your quote above, btw).

I love how the second a christian thread gets posted people are on it like whoa to move or close the thread.

Notice how many MCAT threads there are in pre-allo that aren't moved to the appropriate forum?

Sounds fishy to me...

Keep the quotes comin!!!!

Everyone knows that there might just be a little something to the whole idea of Christianity, having to be accountable, and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

It's exactly this kind of ignorance and intolerance that dooms well-intentioned threads like these to failure.

Do you wonder why people get fired up over religious threads. It is not the content...think about it.

CCW

1 Cor. 1:18-19

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

This is an example of an uplifting quote to get you through?!?

I agree with the need for a religous forum.

Originally posted by YoungFaithful
Notice how many MCAT threads there are in pre-allo that aren't moved to the appropriate forum?

I'm sorry but the MCAT is a rather large event in the pre-med process. If I had to choose to allow a few random MCAT threads get through vs. a random christianity thread, I'd have to go with the former that actually has to do with pre-meds and the whole medical school process. After all, this is a medical school related site and not a religious site correct?

Originally posted by medic8m
This is an example of an uplifting quote to get you through?!?

I agree with the need for a religous forum.

Well, I admit that that wasn't exactly an uplifting quote to "get you through." Rather, it's more of a quote that I personally like to keep in mind when I begin to think that I'm something, or that I have (or will have) a better job than someone else...or when I begin to feel smarter than anyone else. And, yes, now I'm preaching, and I understand that this isn't the appropriate place for that, but I just wanted to clarify.

Absolutely, if it is worthwhile information, then the thread will continue. If not, no one will reply and it will die.

I absolutely love studentdoctor.net, but let's be honest, the floodgate you speak of has been open for a long time. It's like shopping at a thrift store. You really have to search to find something that is relevant to YOU. Let's see, there are currently over 32,000 threads on this forum, do you really think that you will benefit from them all? I once saw a thread by someone asking where they should change out of their interview suit before they board their flight home. To me, and probably 99.9% of SDNers, the thread was useless and probably a bit absurd. But to the other .1%, it was helpful. And that is what really matters.

I think there should be a break in these heated discussions. I would like to say:

fabulous.jpg

Nonsense. There have been plenty of threads dealing with different methods of coping with the stresses of undergrad., the MCAT and getting into med school. Someone asking for organic chemistry advice, strategies for tackling the MCAT, interview advice, etc.- none of these have ever been attacked to this degree because someone disagreed with the methods. Prayer, meditation and the like is just another method of coping. And whether you believe in a God or not, such methods, from a health standpoint, have been proven over and over to be effective.

It's quite sad that the original purpose of this post has been transformed from a list of inspirational quotes to one similar to an O'Reilly Factor segment concerning the traditionalist v. secularist battle. So if you disagree with this thread don't waste your time clicking and posting on it.

Lastly, I attempt to bring this thread back to it's orginal intent, with this segue - my favorite biblical quote that I turn to when stressed or worried:

I second this opinion.........:clap:

Well, to the OP.... thanks for the quotes.

To those who are so OFFENDED and upset by this thread, DON'T READ IT THEN!!!!! When I see a title of a thread I may not agree with, I don't read it. There are those on this board who like to see something a little uplifting every once in a while.

Keep 'em coming.

"...If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove: and nothing shall be impossible until you." Matthew 17:20

"The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Psalm 18:6

These make me feel better when I'm stressed or worried. If you don't believe them, fine. :)

Exactly. This thread is not inflammatory or derrogatory in any way. People that think this, have something wrong with them. Something hurt them at some point that they have developed a hatred like that of racism for Christianity. Like racism, they have no reasons or logic behind why they think it is inflammatory, they just do- and I feel sorry for these people. If you disagree with something, it doesn't mean you have to hate it and spend so much time protesting it- just ignore it. A big problem today are the people that whine about this and that and insist that nothing conflicts with their lifestyle. Bah... people need to grow up and not be so sensative. If you let every little thing offend you, you will have a miserable life.
-----------------------------------------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you.
Declares the Lord
Plans to prosper you and not harm you.
Plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me.
And I will hear you.
You will seek me and find me:
When you ask me with all your heart
It will be found by you"
Jeremiah 29: 11-13

"I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my work,
and this was the reward for all my labor.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands
had done and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless,
a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 2: 10-11

do me a favor..create a religious pre-allo forum and move this crap somewhere else.

Quotes of inspiration don't bother me.. however, most of these are just silly. I wish there was a religous forum so I could expose the actual source of most of these quotes, which is hardly devine.

CCW and company, tell me, if this thread remains do you lose anything? If it is removed do you gain anything? Maybe some psychological satisfaction that your wishes to move such a marvelous thread (kudos to the OP) was indeed engendered.

Back to the purpose of the thread: I have a strong belief in prayer. The admission process is pretty erratic such that nothing is indeed guaranteed--even in life. As I always say, let the faithful God of fate lead us into our respective destinies. Again, pray--be it for the MCAT or applications. I hope, as my time is nigh, I truly become a living testament.

To conclude and add my encouraging seed: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not all on your understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Prov. 3: 5-6

Greetings my fellow premeds and very special regards to my co-aspiring research scientists
:D.

By the way, fun8stuff, I love that passage, Jer 29: 11 :), cool energizer.

Another addendum, I see people flaming and espousing affirmative action on this forum. Nobody ever suggested that such be moved to some other forum
:confused: .