CHSU California Health Sciences University

Started by PDC07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PDC07

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to inform all of you pre-pharmacy candidates out there that the DEAN at this up and coming pharmacy school in Fresno is a little shady. He was the Dean at California Northstate University of Pharmacy in Rancho Cordova, California and left the school before it was accredited citing, that he missed his home and family in Michigan. He is a shady businessman. Be careful and think twice before putting $40,000+ into this institution. If you look at the curriculums for both California Northstate University and CHSU, they are the same exact curriculums with different numbers. Best of Luck to you all. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please remember that the tuition is around $42, 000 per annum. But tuition always rises. Once you are in, you cannot drop out because of few thousands tuition and fee increase. Remember, tuition alone is $42,000 but I bet there are also fees for various fees. Unless your parents are well off and willing to help you with the bills, you will be royally screwed. You are looking at roughly $60,000 per year of tuition plus room and board. Times 4 would be $240,000 once you are said and done. Only 1/4 of a million dollars. And that is without interest. Given the high interested rates today, you will be paying a lots.

My student loans are less than $200,000 (including a bit from undergrad loan). I am currently paying $20,000 per year for student loan for the next 30 years. Most of the money I am paying goes to interest. The interest on my loans is under 3% and some 6%. Good luck finding that kind of interest. Basically, I am paying about 1/2 million dollars after 30 years. Most of your bills will be much higher than 1/2 million. Please do your self a huge favor by doing the math and know what you are getting into. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going into a great profession. Don't let people profit on your interest of helping your community or society.

Yes, you will be making 6 figure salary. Unfortunately, you won't be able to deduct student loan interest as your incomes will exceed the limit. Here is the break down of my take home pay. My pay rate is on the high paying scale. After tax and retirement saving. I bring home $5,000. Student loan is $1,500. Only $3,500 remains. Literally I have to share room with other people as I cannot afford to buy a place in South California without being "house poor". I love pharmacy! I thought I would never say that while I was in school (intern at chain like Walgreens, CVS scared that crap out of me).

I don't mean to attack on CHSU but I would questions many things it stands for or its mission and facts. First, the letter from the Dean states that there are shortage of pharmacists. I wonder which rock he lives under. If anything, there are surpluses in California. Second, the founder is a banker/business person. Operation manager has the same last name. I bet they pay themselves pretty handsomely. It also states that they have hired first year faculty members. What about second, third, and clinical sites? Does anyone remember about the pharmacy school in Hawaii awhile back? I believe the one in Hawaii ran into problems because of lack of proper clinical sites. Most of the major hospitals already have students from other schools in place. Maybe the one in Central Valley will give priority to CHSU. But will there be enough hospitals to absorb all the students?

Lastly, in the past few years there have been a few schools in California trying but fail to take off. The one in Riverside and one in Long Beach? What makes CHSU different? Please make informed decisions.
 
FYI: Below is what on AUHS' website:

"The School of Pharmacy submitted its application for pre-candidate status for the Doctor of Pharmacy program to the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) on January 15th 2013. We are not currently accepting applications for the Doctor of Pharmacy program."
 
Is that right , they are not still accepting applications ???
I already applied to this school and got rejected without even attending an interview,
I will be pissed if they really lied about the "inaugural class of 2014".
Please give me the source where it says they are not currently accepting application .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when did they call you? I'm still waiting for their reply. 🙁
I had an interview on the 02/21, I got acceptance email on 02/27. They said they response end of the month so if you had interview in March, you will hear back from them end of march. =) hope you get accepted
 
I did put down the deposit $250, Yes I definitely gonna go to this school. I like the schools and area. I didn't go to the interview for Touro NY. Did you hear back from school yet?
 
there were about 17 applicants. how many applicants were is your interview. I hope that I get in, the only thing I am only worried about ; the private student loan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please remember that the tuition is around $42, 000 per annum. But tuition always rises. Once you are in, you cannot drop out because of few thousands tuition and fee increase. Remember, tuition alone is $42,000 but I bet there are also fees for various fees. Unless your parents are well off and willing to help you with the bills, you will be royally screwed. You are looking at roughly $60,000 per year of tuition plus room and board. Times 4 would be $240,000 once you are said and done. Only 1/4 of a million dollars. And that is without interest. Given the high interested rates today, you will be paying a lots.

My student loans are less than $200,000 (including a bit from undergrad loan). I am currently paying $20,000 per year for student loan for the next 30 years. Most of the money I am paying goes to interest. The interest on my loans is under 3% and some 6%. Good luck finding that kind of interest. Basically, I am paying about 1/2 million dollars after 30 years. Most of your bills will be much higher than 1/2 million. Please do your self a huge favor by doing the math and know what you are getting into. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going into a great profession. Don't let people profit on your interest of helping your community or society.

Yes, you will be making 6 figure salary. Unfortunately, you won't be able to deduct student loan interest as your incomes will exceed the limit. Here is the break down of my take home pay. My pay rate is on the high paying scale. After tax and retirement saving. I bring home $5,000. Student loan is $1,500. Only $3,500 remains. Literally I have to share room with other people as I cannot afford to buy a place in South California without being "house poor". I love pharmacy! I thought I would never say that while I was in school (intern at chain like Walgreens, CVS scared that crap out of me).

I don't mean to attack on CHSU but I would questions many things it stands for or its mission and facts. First, the letter from the Dean states that there are shortage of pharmacists. I wonder which rock he lives under. If anything, there are surpluses in California. Second, the founder is a banker/business person. Operation manager has the same last name. I bet they pay themselves pretty handsomely. It also states that they have hired first year faculty members. What about second, third, and clinical sites? Does anyone remember about the pharmacy school in Hawaii awhile back? I believe the one in Hawaii ran into problems because of lack of proper clinical sites. Most of the major hospitals already have students from other schools in place. Maybe the one in Central Valley will give priority to CHSU. But will there be enough hospitals to absorb all the students?

Lastly, in the past few years there have been a few schools in California trying but fail to take off. The one in Riverside and one in Long Beach? What makes CHSU different? Please make informed decisions.

I could not agree with you more Rocknhardplace. I am a pharmacist right now, I graduated a few years ago from California Northstate Pharmacy School. I have had the hardest time finding a job. I even went to Fresno to interview, and they have become saturated as well.
Anyone that will listen, do not go into Phamacy School if you want to find a job in California! Most of all, do not go to this new pharmacy school in Clovis, ca. The school is just out to make money, they do not care about the profession.
Why else would a homebuilder be backing it financially?? Think about it!
I think California Northstate also has the same reputation. Beware!
 
Hello everyone! For those that decided to attend CHSU, can you tell me how your experience has been? I have an interview with them in 2 weeks. Anything is greatly appreciated! Thank you
 
Please remember that the tuition is around $42, 000 per annum. But tuition always rises. Once you are in, you cannot drop out because of few thousands tuition and fee increase. Remember, tuition alone is $42,000 but I bet there are also fees for various fees. Unless your parents are well off and willing to help you with the bills, you will be royally screwed. You are looking at roughly $60,000 per year of tuition plus room and board. Times 4 would be $240,000 once you are said and done. Only 1/4 of a million dollars. And that is without interest. Given the high interested rates today, you will be paying a lots.

My student loans are less than $200,000 (including a bit from undergrad loan). I am currently paying $20,000 per year for student loan for the next 30 years. Most of the money I am paying goes to interest. The interest on my loans is under 3% and some 6%. Good luck finding that kind of interest. Basically, I am paying about 1/2 million dollars after 30 years. Most of your bills will be much higher than 1/2 million. Please do your self a huge favor by doing the math and know what you are getting into. I am not trying to discourage anyone from going into a great profession. Don't let people profit on your interest of helping your community or society.

Yes, you will be making 6 figure salary. Unfortunately, you won't be able to deduct student loan interest as your incomes will exceed the limit. Here is the break down of my take home pay. My pay rate is on the high paying scale. After tax and retirement saving. I bring home $5,000. Student loan is $1,500. Only $3,500 remains. Literally I have to share room with other people as I cannot afford to buy a place in South California without being "house poor". I love pharmacy! I thought I would never say that while I was in school (intern at chain like Walgreens, CVS scared that crap out of me).

I don't mean to attack on CHSU but I would questions many things it stands for or its mission and facts. First, the letter from the Dean states that there are shortage of pharmacists. I wonder which rock he lives under. If anything, there are surpluses in California. Second, the founder is a banker/business person. Operation manager has the same last name. I bet they pay themselves pretty handsomely. It also states that they have hired first year faculty members. What about second, third, and clinical sites? Does anyone remember about the pharmacy school in Hawaii awhile back? I believe the one in Hawaii ran into problems because of lack of proper clinical sites. Most of the major hospitals already have students from other schools in place. Maybe the one in Central Valley will give priority to CHSU. But will there be enough hospitals to absorb all the students?

Lastly, in the past few years there have been a few schools in California trying but fail to take off. The one in Riverside and one in Long Beach? What makes CHSU different? Please make informed decisions.
 
So true, so true "Rock in a Hard Place". From what I hear, this school accepts "anyone" with a heartbeat. I have heard its a "learn by doing" curriculum. What the hell is that?!! Teach yourself?!! For $45,000 year, you'd better provide me quality instructors, and a quality education.
Please consider that there are presently >12 pharmacy schools in California alone. The top three: UCSF, USC, UOP are producing >200 students each per year, along with the other schools. The job market will saturate out soon; if not already. Do yourselves a favor and go to medical school, PA school or nursing.
 
CHSU is struggling to get all of their accreditation and their teachers are leaving. One of them admitted on CHSU’s own facebook page that the school is just a degree mill. Go here only if you have to.
 
CHSU is struggling to get all of their accreditation and their teachers are leaving. One of them admitted on CHSU’s own facebook page that the school is just a degree mill. Go here only if you have to.
A pharmacist and mentor of mine advised me not to go to CHSU. He confided that several teachers have been fired since the school opened. This doesn't look good for a new school.
 
I did put down the deposit $250, Yes I definitely gonna go to this school. I like the schools and area. I didn't go to the interview for Touro NY. Did you hear back from school yet?
Yes I got accepted

Hello,

A few years down the line. How do you feel about the school now that you have attended there. I am planning to apply there. Please give your in put.

Thank you!!
 
Hello everyone! For those that decided to attend CHSU, can you tell me how your experience has been? I have an interview with them in 2 weeks. Anything is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Hello,

Did you get accepted? If you did and are attending please give me your in put.
 
I laughed when I read this. Can you explain what you mean by struggling to get their accreditation? I actually have the report that was submitted to ACPE. They evaluate 25 standards for any program seeking accreditation. There is nothing stating that they fail to meet or need much needed improvement. They have also visited the school and talked to students and are awaiting the final decision on accreditation. Their first class is about to graduate and take the NAPLEX. So I fail to understand this post or the lack of knowledge behind this. I find it hilarious that you actually quote Facebook as a source as well. Yes, they have fired faculty and also hired faculty. Some faculty actually left to go back to clinical practice because they did not like academia.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As predicted three months ago, CHSU struggled to meet the basic accreditation standards that other schools met. Today the accrediting body for pharmacy schools, ACPE, reported that CHSU did NOT get accredited. The pdf is on the ACPE web site under Report of Proceedings; June 2018. They will remain as a Candidate school despite graduating their first class. All other new pharmacy schools in this and past years DID get accredited. Clearly the worst school in the country now.
 
I laughed when I read this. Can you explain what you mean by struggling to get their accreditation? I actually have the report that was submitted to ACPE. They evaluate 25 standards for any program seeking accreditation. There is nothing stating that they fail to meet or need much needed improvement. They have also visited the school and talked to students and are awaiting the final decision on accreditation. Their first class is about to graduate and take the NAPLEX. So I fail to understand this post or the lack of knowledge behind this. I find it hilarious that you actually quote Facebook as a source as well. Yes, they have fired faculty and also hired faculty. Some faculty actually left to go back to clinical practice because they did not like academia.

I’m on your side Friday89. I think raydawg82 kisses ass with professors there that’s why “IT” makes “ITSELF” sound so good. That school is full of rejects, miserable and ppl who are upset in this world so they attack and bully their peers to make themselves feel better. I hope the school closes down too.
 
I’m on your side Friday89. I think raydawg82 kisses ass with professors there that’s why “IT” makes “ITSELF” sound so good. That school is full of rejects, miserable and ppl who are upset in this world so they attack and bully their peers to make themselves feel better. I hope the school closes down too.

RayDawg wants to be proud of his school. I respect that. They failed him. They built a program completely on lies. They will shut down sooner rather than later.
 
No, California Northstate did NOT take 4 tries to advance from candidate to full accreditation. They did take 2 tries. This is documented on the ACPE web site under the Detailed PharmD Accreditation History for California Northstate.

No, WASC accreditation did NOT give the pharmacy school university status. WASC is a regional accrediting body that does not accredit professional schools; it only accredits universities. To be a licensed pharmacist, as a domestic graduate, you must be a graduate from an ACPE (not WASC or SACS or HLC) accredited college of pharmacy or a school of pharmacy recognized by the board. ACPE alone determines U.S. pharmacy school accreditation.

No, writing the truth does NOT make someone a hater.

No, a school does NOT have to be placed on probation to shut down. The university can choose to close their program.

Are false and misleading statements and name-calling all CHSU has now?