CHSU California Health Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m on your side Friday89. I think raydawg82 kisses ass with professors there that’s why “IT” makes “ITSELF” sound so good. That school is full of rejects, miserable and ppl who are upset in this world so they attack and bully their peers to make themselves feel better. I hope the school closes down too.

I love haters. That's when you know you are doing something right. As far as being full of rejects and miserable people. I guess your right. The graduating class have all secured jobs 65% retail and 35% hospital, academia, residencies, and fellowships. I love being at a school full of rejects who have secured salaries and average salary of $125,000. I especially love how everyone wants the school to shut down and believes because they did not get accredited on their first try it will close. Unfortunately, it took Northstate 4 attempts at accreditation. FYI in order for a school to shut down it has to be demoted to a probationary period. That did not happen at CHSU and they actually got accredited under WASC giving the school the status of a University and the ability to start their second program the doctorate of osteopathy. Let me guess that school is going to be full of rejects and miserable people too?

Members don't see this ad.

No, California Northstate did NOT take 4 tries to advance from candidate to full accreditation. They did take 2 tries. This is documented on the ACPE web site under the Detailed PharmD Accreditation History for California Northstate.

No, WASC accreditation did NOT give the pharmacy school university status. WASC is a regional accrediting body that does not accredit professional schools; it only accredits universities. To be a licensed pharmacist, as a domestic graduate, you must be a graduate from an ACPE (not WASC or SACS or HLC) accredited college of pharmacy or a school of pharmacy recognized by the board. ACPE alone determines U.S. pharmacy school accreditation.

No, writing the truth does NOT make someone a hater.

No, a school does NOT have to be placed on probation to shut down. The university can choose to close their program.

Are false and misleading statements and name-calling all CHSU has now?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the interview for CHSU were 1 on 1 or group interview? Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As predicted three months ago, CHSU struggled to meet the basic accreditation standards that other schools met. Today the accrediting body for pharmacy schools, ACPE, reported that CHSU did NOT get accredited. The pdf is on the ACPE web site under Report of Proceedings; June 2018. They will remain as a Candidate school despite graduating their first class. All other new pharmacy schools in this and past years DID get accredited. Clearly the worst school in the country now.
Hi everyone,
I am joining this conversation not as someone who is a new applicant to a pharmacy school, not as a new graduate, but as a seasoned hospital pharmacist. I have also worked in many industries of pharmacy over the years in addition to hospital (outpatient, home care, etc...). I would just like to give my personal perspective and input on CHSU. I am an established pharmacist at a local central valley hospital, so i have no personal reasons for giving my opinions. There are a number of reasons why I do not agree with this pharmacy school, and here are my reasons:
First, for any new pharmacy school applicant...Please be aware that this school is a "for profit" organization that is not affiliated with a University. It is financially backed by a home-builder, it is run by an ex-banker, and its faculty is mostly made up of local pharmacists or others who are barely at the pharmacy school itself. I know this because i work at one of the local hospitals and i am aware of the things that have surrounded the workings of this school.
Secondly, you also need to be aware of the job market in the state of California. The job market is dismal everywhere in California because the accreditation boards have allowed the many "for profit" pharmacy schools accreditation. It has created too many pharmacy graduates for the number of pharmacist jobs available. Yes, it might seem like the Central valley has jobs, but trust me; it is almost saturated.
Thirdly, CHSU did not get accredited recently. This is a "red-flag" for any applicant and also for its students. I am a preceptor of these students at my hospital and I can tell you that there is a definite difference in quality as far as what they are teaching (or not teaching) at this school. Which leads me to the a very distressing reason why all of our pharmacists at our facility do not have any respect for this school. Our facility was basically forced to take students from this school. Its all a "politically-motivated" farce. The financial backer (remember the home builder?), is on our hospital board. Also, the President of CHSU (remember the banker?), was previously the president of our hospital board until very recently. Sound fishy? So guess what, now all of a sudden we have stopped taking students from another pharmacy school and less students from yet another pharmacy school to make more slots for CHSU students. How ethical is that? I'm sorry, but I have to say something at this point. They have also wormed their way to other hospitals in the local area because they have other board members on their board as well.
Fourth, as I am a preceptor for the CHSU students I have inquired as to their program. The students state that they are taught "Group-based" learning. They explained that they learn together, formulating their own concepts, etc....This is concerning to me, and I have seen that the quality of their education is second if not third or fourth to the students from the top three pharmacy schools in California. They also explained that they were recruited from the local community college and did not receive a four-year undergrad degree. What does this tell me? That at this point, the school is only after money, not qualified, educated students. I worked very hard to become a health-care professional. I received a 4-year degree in Bio-chem at a UC school, then went to one of the top-three schools in California for my Pharm D (UCSF, USC, UOP), I also did a residency. So, here we are now being forced to take students from this school because the financial backer is on our hospital board. Its a farce and crooked at best.
Fifth, I am an already established pharmacist as i stated; but I still care about my profession. Its very sad what this school stands for and the I feel especially bad for its students. They have no idea that the pharmacy community does not have any respect to the school they are attending, they have no idea how much debt they will be in when they graduate, and they mostly do not have any idea that they have stolen jobs from others that were more deserved than they were because of political motivation.
My advice to any student who is considering applying to this school, save your money, go into nursing or another profession that will have jobs in the next few years.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,
I am joining this conversation not as someone who is a new applicant to a pharmacy school, not as a new graduate, but as a seasoned hospital pharmacist. I have also worked in many industries of pharmacy over the years in addition to hospital (outpatient, home care, etc...). I would just like to give my personal perspective and input on CHSU. I am an established pharmacist at a local central valley hospital, so i have no personal reasons for giving my opinions. There are a number of reasons why I do not agree with this pharmacy school, and here are my reasons:
First, for any new pharmacy school applicant...Please be aware that this school is a "for profit" organization that is not affiliated with a University. It is financially backed by a home-builder, it is run by an ex-banker, and its faculty is mostly made up of local pharmacists or others who are barely at the pharmacy school itself. I know this because i work at one of the local hospitals and i am aware of the things that have surrounded the workings of this school.
Secondly, you also need to be aware of the job market in the state of California. The job market is dismal everywhere in California because the accreditation boards have allowed the many "for profit" pharmacy schools accreditation. It has created too many pharmacy graduates for the number of pharmacist jobs available. Yes, it might seem like the Central valley has jobs, but trust me; it is almost saturated.
Thirdly, CHSU did not get accredited recently. This is a "red-flag" for any applicant and also for its students. I am a preceptor of these students at my hospital and I can tell you that there is a definite difference in quality as far as what they are teaching (or not teaching) at this school. Which leads me to the a very distressing reason why all of our pharmacists at our facility do not have any respect for this school. Our facility was basically forced to take students from this school. Its all a "politically-motivated" farce. The financial backer (remember the home builder?), is on our hospital board. Also, the President of CHSU (remember the banker?), was previously the president of our hospital board until very recently. Sound fishy? So guess what, now all of a sudden we have stopped taking students from another pharmacy school and less students from yet another pharmacy school to make more slots for CHSU students. How ethical is that? I'm sorry, but I have to say something at this point. They have also wormed their way to other hospitals in the local area because they have other board members on their board as well.
Fourth, as I am a preceptor for the CHSU students I have inquired as to their program. The students state that they are taught "Group-based" learning. They explained that they learn together, formulating their own concepts, etc....This is concerning to me, and I have seen that the quality of their education is second if not third or fourth to the students from the top three pharmacy schools in California. They also explained that they were recruited from the local community college and did not receive a four-year undergrad degree. What does this tell me? That at this point, the school is only after money, not qualified, educated students. I worked very hard to become a health-care professional. I received a 4-year degree in Bio-chem at a UC school, then went to one of the top-three schools in California for my Pharm D (UCSF, USC, UOP), I also did a residency. So, here we are now being forced to take students from this school because the financial backer is on our hospital board. Its a farce and crooked at best.
Fifth, I am an already established pharmacist as i stated; but I still care about my profession. Its very sad what this school stands for and the I feel especially bad for its students. They have no idea that the pharmacy community does not have any respect to the school they are attending, they have no idea how much debt they will be in when they graduate, and they mostly do not have any idea that they have stolen jobs from others that were more deserved than they were because of political motivation.
My advice to any student who is considering applying to this school, save your money, go into nursing or another profession that will have jobs in the next few years.
How is it possible? Isn't bachelor degree a requirement for CA school?

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

• Dislike
Hi everyone,

Every word you typed is accurate and it means a lot coming from an experienced, objective pharmacy preceptor. It is remarkable that the corruption and low quality of teaching at CHSU is well-known in central valley region because the school tries so hard to spread false, positive propaganda. A B.S. or B.A. is not required because having those standards would cut down the applicant pool and therefore reduce profits.

What happened to the graduating class from CHSU?
Since they didn't get Accredited, doesn't that mean they aren't allowed to take their boards and get licensed?

They also explained that they were recruited from the local community college and did not receive a four-year undergrad degree. What does this tell me? That at this point, the school is only after money, not qualified, educated students. I worked very hard to become a health-care professional. I received a 4-year degree in Bio-chem at a UC school, then went to one of the top-three schools in California for my Pharm D (UCSF, USC, UOP),
hehe, the "top 3 " UOP offer 5 years pharmD program to high school fresh graduate.

• Haha
Fact is there is no legitimate reason for CHSU existing.

It's 2019. If you can't get into a school that has existed for more than 10 years your application is weak. If you have a personal reason for going to CHSU your life sucks

Fact is there is no legitimate reason for CHSU existing.

It's 2019. If you can't get into a school that has existed for more than 10 years your application is weak. If you have a personal reason for going to CHSU your life sucks

100% agree. At this point, going into pharmacy is lunacy and being accepted into a pharmacy program is nothing to celebrate. If you applied to every pharmacy school, chances are you will be accepted to more than 1. Right now, jobs are few and I heard that in the Bay Area, they are only signing up pharmacist for part-time.

The rule of supply and demand. It makes so much sense as a business (CVS/Wags) to pump money into pharmacy programs because in the end, they can hire part-time employees for less.

But still, how did the CHSU people get hired if since the school isn't accredited? Everyone says you can't be a pharmacist, yet the graduate from this school were hired. How did this happen?

Graduates of programs with candidate status can still take NAPLEX and CPJE and they have. By the time the first class graduates though the program is formally accredited in most cases

Someone please inform me on how the first graduating class at CHSU was able to land jobs as pharmacist even after the school was not fully accredited? I heard that the graduating class landed retail jobs with CVS/Wags with offers of $130,000+ in the surrounding area of the school, even with a NAPLEX score of 75.41%?
Look, if that one pharmacy technician in Norcal can fake being a pharmacist for Walgreens for 10 years, then I don’t see how it is difficult to “work as a pharmacist” for a retail chain since it’s clear that they don’t do any sort of background check/quality control on pharmacists they hire. At the very least, CHSU grads will still talk like pharmacists so if anything they will pass the smell test in an interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still get licensed if your program has candidate status. It's when accreditation is revoked that current students are ****ed.

"Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program."

Boards of pharmacy determine if people are eligible to take NAPLEX or MPJE (CPJE in California), not ACPE

If your program in the future loses accreditation or ceases to exist, boards would not retroactively revoke your license.

If you can't pass NAPLEX, then you can't work ANYWHERE in the United States as a licensed pharmacist. It doesn't matter if you get a job offer before graduation. If you don't have a pharmacist license, you can't work as a pharmacist. End of story.
Secondly, I would avoid applying to any pharmacy school that isn't fully accredited unless you're willing to risk it all.

What happened to the graduating class from CHSU?
Since they didn't get Accredited, doesn't that mean they aren't allowed to take their boards and get licensed?
The school is at Candidate status. This means that graduating students can take the boards in California or the national NAPLEX. The next step is Accredited status. Accredited status allows students receive federal loans for financial aid. I wonder how long a school can stay at Candidate status. There is NO incentive for CHSU to reach Accredited status, when graduated students can still take the NAPLEX and California boards. If the school stayed at Pre-Candidate status, then graduating students wouldn't be able to take the NAPLEX or the California boards. In my opinion, The ACPE should make it mandatory for new schools to have very low tuition rates, say under $10,000 per year, until the school achieves Accredited status and maintains it for say 5 years. This could be the incentive, that would get the new schools, like CHSU, to focus on improving the quality of the education that they offer.

Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen. CHSU is a for-profit private university that increases tuition every year. All the new pharmacy schools are in it to make big bucks. They can care less about offering affordable tuition. CHSU has earned a bad reputation throughout the Central Valley. Quality education is a joke there. After all, what other pharmacy school would have a nurse fulfill the role of a pharmacy preceptor? The school’s passing rates for Naplex and CPJE are abysmal.

Wonder what happened to ray-ray

Wonder what happened to ray-ray
PSOP Student is correct with stating that
Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program."

Boards of pharmacy determine if people are eligible to take NAPLEX or MPJE (CPJE in California), not ACPE

If your program in the future loses accreditation or ceases to exist, boards would not retroactively revoke your license.

In other words, if you start the program at CHSU and worst case scenario it does not get accredited. ACPE will intervene and protect the students and allow them to be taught out from the physical location. The school will close down and it will only affect the faculty and staff in the long term. The students which is what everyone is nervous about will be allowed to matriculate and be eligible to sit for the NAPLEX and CPJE. The school will have to find faculty to teach out the current students and not be able to accept any new students.

By the way we have had graduating classes who have gotten into residency programs, been offered hospital pharmacy positions (without a residency), and offers from CVS/WAGS/Rite Aide. Some students graduating students are the PIC of retail stores.

Everyone has their opinion about CHSU. These are facts and ACPE does visit the school and talk to students.
Is there a possibility that CHSU will not get accredited? YES
Is there a possibility that CHSU will get accredited? YES
Does anyone know what ACPE will decided this year? NO
Will current CHSU students be pharmacists? YES (as long as you pass the NAPLEX and CPJE)
Will other people continue to criticize CHSU? YES
Do I care? NO
Why? Simple, I have also been offered job offers from a hospital and retail chains under the condition that I pass the NAPLEX and CPJE. Do you notice that employers only care about passing NAPLEX and CPJE? They don't care what would happen if CHSU doesn't get accredited, they care about you being able to pass the NAPLEX and CPJE.

Is everyone else going to comment and criticize the horrible program at CHSU that is full of rejects and losers that couldn't get in to another pharmacy school? YES
Do I care? NO
Was I accepted to accredited pharmacy schools in California? YES
Do I regret coming to CHSU and not going to these schools? NO

PSOP Student is correct with stating that
Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program."

In other words, if you start the program at CHSU and worst case scenario it does not get accredited. ACPE will intervene and protect the students and allow them to be taught out from the physical location. The school will close down and it will only affect the faculty and staff in the long term. The students which is what everyone is nervous about will be allowed to matriculate and be eligible to sit for the NAPLEX and CPJE. The school will have to find faculty to teach out the current students and not be able to accept any new students.

By the way we have had graduating classes who have gotten into residency programs, been offered hospital pharmacy positions (without a residency), and offers from CVS/WAGS/Rite Aide. Some students graduating students are the PIC of retail stores.

Everyone has their opinion about CHSU. These are facts and ACPE does visit the school and talk to students.
Is there a possibility that CHSU will not get accredited? YES
Is there a possibility that CHSU will get accredited? YES
Does anyone know what ACPE will decided this year? NO
Will current CHSU students be pharmacists? YES (as long as you pass the NAPLEX and CPJE)
Will other people continue to criticize CHSU? YES
Do I care? NO
Why? Simple, I have also been offered job offers from a hospital and retail chains under the condition that I pass the NAPLEX and CPJE. Do you notice that employers only care about passing NAPLEX and CPJE? They don't care what would happen if CHSU doesn't get accredited, they care about you being able to pass the NAPLEX and CPJE.

Is everyone else going to comment and criticize the horrible program at CHSU that is full of rejects and losers that couldn't get in to another pharmacy school? YES
Do I care? NO
Was I accepted to accredited pharmacy schools in California? YES
Do I regret coming to CHSU and not going to these schools? NO

So there’s one question that you still haven’t answered yet. Do you have an actual pharmacist job right now? I’m not talking about job offers. I’m asking are you employed as a licensed pharmacist in California? Cuz that’s what really counts in the end aside from your $200,000 student loan debt.

If it ever came down to executing a teach-out plan (LOL) what's to stop the CSHU owners from saying "F it," refuse to execute any teach-out plan, and let lawsuits drag out?

I doubt this program has any teach-out agreement with any other PharmD program.

CSHP already has multiple lawyers lined up if any former student or faculty member plans to sue the school.

I love haters. That did not happen at CHSU and they actually got accredited under WASC giving the school the status of a University and the ability to start their second program the doctorate of osteopathy. Let me guess that school is going to be full of rejects and miserable people too?

How's them apples taste?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The 44 students affected can easily find spots at CNU/KGI/WC/Chapman or Signal where they didn't fill every seat this year. They get to also, live somewhere that isn't Fresno. It's not over though, the website states they will continue to try next year and get another class in 2022. So with UCI coming up, it just gets better.

So sad to hear that this school will be gone...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The 44 students affected can easily find spots at CNU/KGI/WC/Chapman or Signal where they didn't fill every seat this year. They get to also, live somewhere that isn't Fresno. It's not over though, the website states they will continue to try next year and get another class in 2022. So with UCI coming up, it just gets better.

How did you know that the other schools were unable to fill seats? Even if they get to live somewhere other than Fresno, it’s no guarantee that they’ll find a job. CHSU will attempt to appeal the ACPE. But I highly doubt that their faculty would want to remain unemployed for two years. With a failed reputation, who would ever want to apply to CHSU in the future? I don’t think it’s worth the gamble.

How did you know that the other schools were unable to fill seats? Even if they get to live somewhere other than Fresno, it’s no guarantee that they’ll find a job. CHSU will attempt to appeal the ACPE. But I highly doubt that their faculty would want to remain unemployed for two years. With a failed reputation, who would ever want to apply to CHSU in the future? I don’t think it’s worth the gamble.

It's on the ACPE website of unfilled seats plus I was told the numbers.

CHSU says they will reapply, they probably will get it back. The issue with CHSU is that at this point, there's like zero qualified faculty left. It doesn't help that they are in Fresno too. If you look, their own faculty jump to other diploma mills like West Coast...lol...

Don't worry, they will get applicants if they are back in 2 years. That's not even a question. The same way they will get people now, keep lowering standards and get them loans.

The issue with CHSU is that at this point, there's like zero qualified faculty left. It doesn't help that they are in Fresno too. If you look, their own faculty jump to other diploma mills like West Coast...lol...

Don't worry, they will get applicants if they are back in 2 years. That's not even a question. The same way they will get people now, keep lowering standards and get them loans.

These "professors" know the job outlook of retail. They are choosing to be scammers and scam dumb prepharms. Better than $45/hour counting pills. Ride the bandwagon until the wheels fall off. Screw the students and their loans.