Claiming Disadvantage despite High SES?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

Hi all,

I've read posts where @Med Ed and @Goro state that disadvantage can be claimed by those who attended bad schools in rural areas despite high household income, but also posts by @LizzyM stating that disadvantage is reserved for low SES applicants. Posting this to get some clarification.

I grew up in a household with a very substantial household income ($500K+) and well educated parents (one parent is an MD, other has a master's). Despite this, I put of with lots of domestic violence, grew up in a very remote/rural state with okay schools, was subject to a huge amount of racism, sexually assaulted twice, and struggled with physical health issues that significantly affected my ability to perform in college. These physical health issues were actively dismissed by my parents who, despite their familiarity with medicine, still remain ignorant (willfully or not) on how my condition affects my daily life. On top of all of this, my mother has undiagnosed paranoia/anxiety/depression that significantly affected my college experience (socially, not academically).

While on paper I meet every standard for a privileged life, I don't feel that I have necessarily lived one. Would it still be a stretch to apply as "disadvantaged"? Really don't want to come off as looking for pity points.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it would be a stretch. When you say you were the subject of racism, are you URM (oarticulalrly Black, Mexican-American, Native American, mainland Puerto Rican)?

Will you be listing your MD parent's name and medical school on your application? Do you think that someone who knew them from their training or practice might see your application and recognzied them? Do you really want to badmouth a parent in that way?

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, it would be a stretch. When you say you were the subject of racism, are you URM (oarticulalrly Black, Mexican-American, Native American, mainland Puerto Rican)?

Will you be listing your MD parent's name and medical school on your application? Do you think that someone who knew them from their training or practice might see your application and recognzied them? Do you really want to badmouth a parent in that way?

Fair enough. I won't include it then.

No, I'm not a URM.

I'll more than likely list my parent's info on my app. Honestly, I'm not really sure whether I should include these other details because on one hand it does paint them in a bad light, but on the other it does explain my interest in mental health. Imo I think they put their reputation at risk the moment they decided to take certain actions, but I understand where you're coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the DA statement is the place to discuss this. Your situation sounds more like obstacle/adversity. Disadvantage statement is usually for low SES or educational disadvantages.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I've read posts where @Med Ed and @Goro state that disadvantage can be claimed by those who attended bad schools in rural areas despite high household income, but also posts by @LizzyM stating that disadvantage is reserved for low SES applicants. Posting this to get some clarification.

I grew up in a household with a very substantial household income ($500K+) and well educated parents (one parent is an MD, other has a master's). Despite this, I put of with lots of domestic violence, grew up in a very remote/rural state with okay schools, was subject to a huge amount of racism, sexually assaulted twice, and struggled with physical health issues that significantly affected my ability to perform in college. These physical health issues were actively dismissed by my parents who, despite their familiarity with medicine, still remain ignorant (willfully or not) on how my condition affects my daily life. On top of all of this, my mother has undiagnosed paranoia/anxiety/depression that significantly affected my college experience (socially, not academically).

While on paper I meet every standard for a privileged life, I don't feel that I have necessarily lived one. Would it still be a stretch to apply as "disadvantaged"? Really don't want to come off as looking for pity points.

My rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, you probably don’t fit the profile. But I am a bit confused..you say you were subject to racism but are not a minority. Could you clarify?

Reactions: 1 users

It is possible to make a good case for disadvantaged despite high household income, but the circumstances that would permit such a case are quite rare. I can only think of one or two instances where someone did this and the committee broadly agreed.

Reactions: 1 user
It is possible to make a good case for disadvantaged despite high household income, but the circumstances that would permit such a case are quite rare. I can only think of one or two instances where someone did this and the committee broadly agreed.

Could you give a bit more detail? Kind of curious

I think your adverse experiences merit mentioning in your personal statement. But if I were in you, I wouldn’t apply disadvantaged. It’ll probably come off as “woe is me.” Just my 2 cents

This may be good for your secondaries if you don’t mind the possibility of it coming up at an interview. If you aren’t a minority, I think you should relabel or leave out the “huge amounts of racism” you experienced out though.

Could you give a bit more detail? Kind of curious

A few years ago we had an applicant who was raised in a single parent household and lived in a very, very rural area with extraordinarily limited educational opportunities. Think one room schoolhouse and you're not far off. The catch was that the applicant's single parent was a doctor who had gone to medical school a bit later in life, and on paper made a decent living (albeit the financial security was relatively late in coming). The parent was basically doing the Lord's work by practicing where she did.

This may be good for your secondaries if you don’t mind the possibility of it coming up at an interview. If you aren’t a minority, I think you should relabel or leave out the “huge amounts of racism” you experienced out though.

Ok I’ll consider that instead. I’m ORM, not URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a few cases of applicants who had highly educated parents with high income in the applicant's childhood but change in circumstances... One was a freak accident that left a high earning professional with a profound disability and zero earning potential and the other was a parent with a professional degree and a mental illness that was so profound that employment was impossible. So, in both cases there was financial hardship in the applicant's teen years whereas the family had previously been "well off".

I can see where an ethnic minority that is not considered URM can be the subject of racist comments, particularly in a rural area where people are not familiar/comfortable with members of ethnic minorities.

Last edited:
Just curious, what makes you choose MD instead of pursuing counseling/psychology?

I think of disadvantaged like this:

Your life and educational career is a race. Everybody should be on equal footing, but they're actually not. Before the race begins, someone walks around and straps a weight vest randomly to some of the racers, and others are pushed way back from the start. Some have their legs broken. Some are given a head start. Some are given a motorcycle. Some get all of the above.

When considering whether to mark yourself disadvantaged, you should not only consider all the obstacles that you've faced or the help you've received--you should also consider the tremendous obstacles others have had to go through. Think about how many people are victims of institutional discrimination in this country, plus the other random life events that are out of their control that set people back.

And in the end, being considered "disadvantaged" doesn't really give you an edge on other applicants. It just gives better context to your application as a whole, and how it reflects who you really are. (and how you think about yourself)

Were your parents financially supportive throughout your life? I know you said you grew up in a wealthy family but did your parents pay for undergrad, have they offered to chip in for medical school, etc.? I think this should determine your answer.

It doesn't sound like you're disadvantaged in the sense that you faced serious economic, social, or health barriers to school success, so much as someone who has other adversity in life; parental mental illness and abuse are adversities, for sure, but not necessarily in the sense that "disadvantage" is used in this context. Remember that we all have some kind of privilege, and that privilege in some areas does not negate adversities in other area... nor vise versa. Your adversities can make great personal statement fodder, if you handle them very carefully; your challenge is to include just enough emotional impact to hook them, but not so much that you make them feel sorry for you, before wrapping up on a soaring practical note about how your adversities have inspired you to work hard toward an altruistic goal. Everyone loves students who have overcome adversity and wants to make their adverse experiences meaningful by helping others, and for good reason; it shows that the student has the determination to work to overcome obstacles, and that the student has intrinsic motivation for pursuing their goals. Both qualities make a student a pretty solid bet for completing the program and going on to a productive career, which is, to be completely pragmatic, a big part of the bottom line for admissions.

I used a lot of this for overcoming adversity. For disavantaged, we spent time on welfare because of parents’ said problems so it tied together nicely.

For you, i don’t think this goes with what the disadvantaged essay is really looking for. You have a heck of a lot to talk about with adveristy though.

regarding the second part why do you say this? because it could get around and the applicant should protect their abuses? and would this policy apply to every section?

it just seems odd because it sounds like its saying to protect the abusers.

regarding the second part why do you say this? because it could get around and the applicant should protect their abuses? and would this policy apply to every section?

I think its more of a warning to OP that medicine is a very small field, with very wide connections...

First of all, physical abuse ranges from a slap on the face to being beaten up. Honestly, if I have to choose from getting loan and paying back all the student debt living in the ghetto, and being slapped a few times, I would choose the latter.

Parents are not perfect. At least appreciate that they get you nice houses and pay for your tuition. Also, the definition for physical abuse is culturally dependent.

It doesn't sound like you're disadvantaged in the sense that you faced serious economic, social, or health barriers to school success, so much as someone who has other adversity in life; parental mental illness and abuse are adversities, for sure, but not necessarily in the sense that "disadvantage" is used in this context. Remember that we all have some kind of privilege, and that privilege in some areas does not negate adversities in other area... nor vise versa. Your adversities can make great personal statement fodder, if you handle them very carefully; your challenge is to include just enough emotional impact to hook them, but not so much that you make them feel sorry for you, before wrapping up on a soaring practical note about how your adversities have inspired you to work hard toward an altruistic goal. Everyone loves students who have overcome adversity and wants to make their adverse experiences meaningful by helping others, and for good reason; it shows that the student has the determination to work to overcome obstacles, and that the student has intrinsic motivation for pursuing their goals. Both qualities make a student a pretty solid bet for completing the program and going on to a productive career, which is, to be completely pragmatic, a big part of the bottom line for admissions.

Fair enough. I think I’m looking for a way to distinguish myself from the sea of ORM premeds that I’ll likely be compared to. When I got to college a met a bunch of them and quickly realized that my life was *nothing* like theirs. I would say that I was put at a slight disadvantage compared to them, but I definitely agree that compared to the majority of Americans I’m definitely ahead of the curve and was not subject to any institutional disadvantage.

I’ve considered putting this in my PS/secondaries but I’m concerned that I might not strike the fine balance you were referring to. It would be easier to just say: “Here’s the ****ty things that happened to my life (that were significant obstacles to overcome).” And have the adcom keep that in mind when comparing me to the rest of the applicant pool.

Though what you’re saying makes sense; I guess I’ll have to go to the drawing board to think about how to weave this into my app.

First of all, physical abuse ranges from a slap on the face to being beaten up. Honestly, if I have to choose from getting loan and paying back all the student debt living in the ghetto, and being slapped a few times, I would choose the latter.

Parents are not perfect. At least appreciate that they get you nice houses and pay for your tuition. Also, the definition for physical abuse is culturally dependent.
who are you? what nice houses and tuition? your parents bought you a house?

dont project your sense of privelage on me lol

who are you? what nice houses and tuition? what are you talking about?
Oh gosh have you even read OP’s post? His parents make good money and can afford him a decent living condition. That’s what I am talking about.

Oh gosh have you even read OP’s post? His parents make good money and can afford him a decent living condition. That’s what I am talking about.
oh sorry for my other post then. i did but i was asking about in general.

man id offer my broken arms for a house lol

who are you? what nice houses and tuition? your parents bought you a house?

No he’s saying he would rather mildly abusive parents that bought him **** than pay his loans.

I think he’s assuming I was less abused than I’m making it out to be. Tbh there are so may times during my childhood that I would’ve traded all of my wealth for a normal family lol. Was kinda jealous of my far poorer but stable friends.

No he’s saying he would rather mildly abusive parents that bought him **** than pay his loans.

I think he’s assuming I was less abused than I’m making it out to be. Tbh there are so may times during my childhood that I would’ve traded all of my wealth for a normal family lol. Was kinda jealous of my far poorer but stable friends.
man i am sorry about your abusive parents. But on the bright side, use their connection in the field to your advantage. Get financially independent, and live your life without them in the picture (if that's what you want). And treat your kid better. :angelic:

man i am sorry about your abusive parents. But on the bright side, use their connection in the field to your advantage. Get financially independent, and live your life without them in the picture (if that's what you want). And treat your kid better. :angelic:

It’s just an observation I’ve made over the years. I can’t really understand the stress of financial instability, so you right.

I can see where an ethnic minority that is not considered URM can be the subject of racist comments, particularly in a rural area where people are not familiar/comfortable with members of ethnic minorities.

ANYBODY can be the subject of racist comments, even white people. This idea that racism only exists in rural areas and is only committed by white people is a lie and needs to die. This perpetuated falsehood is ironically itself extremely prejudiced.

ANYBODY can be the subject of racist comments, even white people. This idea that racism only exists in rural areas and is only committed by white people is a lie and needs to die. This perpetuated falsehood is ironically itself extremely prejudiced.
The point is, a person who is not URM and who lives in a rural area can be the subject of discrimination and racism. No one said it "only exists in rural areas". Also, no one said anything about the race of those who were discriminating. Step off the high horse.

Reactions: 4 users
I see you're a resident.... perhaps if you took the new MCAT you'd sense the difference between prejudice & institutional racism.
That being said, no one claimed anything you said and pls don't be rude to auntie LizzyM <3

Reactions: 3 users

The point is, a person who is not URM and who lives in a rural area can be the subject of discrimination and racism. No one said it "only exists in rural areas". Also, no one said anything about the race of those who were discriminating. Step off the high horse.

The tone of your original message and follow-up clearly suggested that only a certain type of racism is significant enough to warrant mention, i.e., against "URMs." Furthermore, you later conceded that you could "see how" an ORM could be subject to racism in rural America (no, no one said "only exists in rural areas" but you volunteered this rural scenario, and you have to ask yourself why). The belief that racism against certain ethnicities is somehow worse than racism against others (again, indicated by your original question to determine if this person was in fact a "URM") is in fact racist itself. Take a step back and think about it.

I see you're a resident.... perhaps if you took the new MCAT you'd sense the difference between prejudice & institutional racism.

Institutional racism? You mean like affirmative action, hard quotas, and soft quotas/diversity requirements? I'm so glad I'm done with all the nonsense of higher ed. I feel for the rest of you just starting out and having to deal with the neverending creep of brainrot in politically correct "liberal" ivory tower identity politics. I never visit this forum but came here today and there were at least 5 threads on the first page about diversity essays. A huge WTF moment. Good luck, keep your head down, put up with the B.S., call it out when you can, and remember that life gets better/normal once you are on the other side.

The tone of your original message and follow-up clearly suggested that only a certain type of racism is significant enough to warrant mention, i.e., against "URMs." Furthermore, you later conceded that you could "see how" an ORM could be subject to racism in rural America (no, no one said "only exists in rural areas" but you volunteered this rural scenario, and you have to ask yourself why). The belief that racism against certain ethnicities is somehow worse than racism against others (again, indicated by your original question to determine if this person was in fact a "URM") is in fact racist itself. Take a step back and think about it.

I "volunteered" the rural scenario because the OP said she grew up in a rural area. We all know that URM applicants have a different admission experience than other applicants and so knowing whether the applicant is URM does help put things in context with regard to admissions. There were posters here who could not understand how someone who is not URM could be the subject of racial discrimination. I was stating how it can happen. Being URM or not is no related to "worse"; it is about context. I apologize for nothing. Go back where you came from... you don't belong here giving advice to pre-meds. Time for the ignore button.

Reactions: 3 users
Institutional racism? You mean like affirmative action, hard quotas, and soft quotas/diversity requirements? I'm so glad I'm done with all the nonsense of higher ed. I feel for the rest of you just starting out and having to deal with the neverending creep of brainrot in politically correct "liberal" ivory tower identity politics. I never visit this forum but came here today and there were at least 5 threads on the first page about diversity essays. A huge WTF moment. Good luck, keep your head down, put up with the B.S., call it out when you can, and remember that life gets better/normal once you are on the other side.
Here is how I view the so-called "quotas/diversity requirements": they are in place to restore equality, the requirement itself is not very fair to ORM, but if we do not take action, this gap in education and in wealth will worsen with time. It's not about liberal or conservative, it is like a rebound from being overly in favor of white people. Also I can't believe you are a resident. Hope you don't get to teach any new med students.

Reactions: 4 users

Way to completely derail a post. Please go back to never visiting this forum.

Can this not be another one of THOSE posts?

OP, LizzyM is correct. She shared a perspective that had not crossed my mind and is completely valid. I still say that the secondary prompts may be a good place for some of your experiences.

Here is how I view the so-called "quotas/diversity requirements": they are in place to restore equality, the requirement itself is not very fair to ORM, but if we do not take action, this gap in education and in wealth will worsen with time. It's not about liberal or conservative, it is like a rebound from being overly in favor of white people.
This is a good demonstration of that very issue. You're right that it's not liberal or conservative; it's math.

I "volunteered" the rural scenario because the OP said she grew up in a rural area. .

The language you used effectively suggested that people in rural areas tend to be uncomfortable with ethnic minorities. This is a divisive statement and not true. While there certainly are isolated hate groups out there, by and far most people are decent and kind, and more than happy to have access to any doctor no matter what his/her ethnicity to come to their small town. I see it amongst my colleagues all the time who are afraid to take jobs in rural America, where they are desperately needed, because they think the white people will lynch them. There are prejudiced people everywhere, from cities to the frontier, and in every skin color. This is what I took offense to, and this is what I called out. Whether you believe personally that rural Americans are hateful to minorities or not doesn't concern me. What concerns me is that you (probably correctly) identified that there will be a perception in the ivory tower of rural America as more prejudiced.

Go back where you came from... you don't belong here giving advice to pre-meds. Time for the ignore button.

Sure, what do I know? I only went to med school, passed the USMLE, am finishing residency, and obtained a rural post-residency job. Maybe you guys should stop focusing on superficial "diversity" issues/identity politics and actually do something about the MASSIVE geographic maldistribution of specialists in rural America due to the majority of the applicants you admit wanting to work in NYC, LA, or south Florida. Ignore me if you like. Bye. :)

Maybe you guys should stop focusing on superficial "diversity" issues/identity politics and actually do something about the MASSIVE geographic maldistribution of specialists in rural America due to the majority of the applicants you admit wanting to work in NYC, LA, or south Florida.

You do realize that diversity isn’t only about race, right? Every thread I’ve seen about the diversity secondaries today is about something OTHER than race or identity.

There are schools with the mission to serve rural areas. You’d like the issue to be addressed more while ignoring that there exists another MASSIVE maldistribution of physicians (based on race). Medical schools are trying to fix it and look how much you hate that, lol.

Ignore me if you like. Bye. :)

Pretty sure she already has.

The language you used effectively suggested that people in rural areas tend to be uncomfortable with ethnic minorities. This is a divisive statement and not true. While there certainly are isolated hate groups out there, by and far most people are decent and kind, and more than happy to have access to any doctor no matter what his/her ethnicity to come to their small town. I see it amongst my colleagues all the time who are afraid to take jobs in rural America, where they are desperately needed, because they think the white people will lynch them. There are prejudiced people everywhere, from cities to the frontier, and in every skin color. This is what I took offense to, and this is what I called out. Whether you believe personally that rural Americans are hateful to minorities or not doesn't concern me. What concerns me is that you (probably correctly) identified that there will be a perception in the ivory tower of rural America as more prejudiced.

Sure, what do I know? I only went to med school, passed the USMLE, am finishing residency, and obtained a rural post-residency job. Maybe you guys should stop focusing on superficial "diversity" issues/identity politics and actually do something about the MASSIVE geographic maldistribution of specialists in rural America due to the majority of the applicants you admit wanting to work in NYC, LA, or south Florida. Ignore me if you like. Bye. :)

I have a rural upbringing and i experienced the opposite. Very much untrusting of minorities of any kind. Racist attitudes run rampant, and it is quite sad.

Clearly, you either A) don't watch the news or B) are willfully ignorant. Physicians like yourself, are reasons why medical schools have changed their curriculum. I suggest you enroll in a couple of cultural competent courses.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a rural upbringing and i experienced the opposite. Very much untrusting of minorities of any kind. Racist attitudes run rampant, and it is quite sad.
It's clear to me that atomi is the farthest thing from a minority, my friend. Racism is so easy to deny, when you're the last one affected by it.

Reactions: 5 users
The best way I can answer this is from personal experience. I went into college as a 1st generation student, single parent, low income w/ three other siblings, African American, female, so by definition, I was disadvantaged. Despite that, I was raised in a good area and I attended a good public high school and therein was able to get a decent high school education. I went to a good college because I had the support of good high school teachers and a wealth of school resources, not because mommy and daddy couldn't pay for a top-notch tutor and thousand dollar ACT, SAT classes. This past year, I tutored students who grew up in a similar situation to mine, but they attended terrible high school districts in bad areas, with inflated grading systems and terrible funding and I saw first hand how the environment they grew up in and the quality of the school they attended tremendously affected their ability to succeed. You know, if it were up to me, the only deciding factor on the disadvantaged prompt would be economic status and quality of secondary education. If someone who's a wealthy URM and had all the access to tutoring and the best education can still have the opportunity to fill out the disadvantaged statement and plead racism, but someone who's asian or white cannot do the same, yikes. My suggestion to you is to go with your gut. If you think you grew up in a poor lifestyle and it's affected your education, explain your situation and be prepared to talk to adcoms about it.

Also, I find it ridiculous that there's even an argument on who's experience of racism is more valid. I really thought the disadvantaged prompt was not to measure who had the worst upbringings, but I guess when it comes to racism, there's a racial hierarchy on the experience of racism.

The best way I can answer this is from personal experience. I went into college as a 1st generation student, single parent, low income w/ three other siblings, African American, female, so by definition, I was disadvantaged. Despite that, I was raised in a good area and I attended a good public high school and therein was able to get a decent high school education. I went to a good college because I had the support of good high school teachers and a wealth of school resources, not because mommy and daddy couldn't pay for a top-notch tutor and thousand dollar ACT, SAT classes. This past year, I tutored students who grew up in a similar situation to mine, but they attended terrible high school districts in bad areas, with inflated grading systems and terrible funding and I saw first hand how the environment they grew up in and the quality of the school they attended tremendously affected their ability to succeed. You know, if it were up to me, the only deciding factor on the disadvantaged prompt would be economic status and quality of secondary education. If someone who's a wealthy URM and had all the access to tutoring and the best education can still have the opportunity to fill out the disadvantaged statement and plead racism, but someone who's asian or white cannot do the same, yikes. My suggestion to you is to go with your gut. If you think you grew up in a poor lifestyle and it's affected your education, explain your situation and be prepared to talk to adcoms about it.

Also, I find it ridiculous that there's even an argument on who's experience of racism is more valid. I really thought the disadvantaged prompt was not to measure who had the worst upbringings, but I guess when it comes to racism, there's a racial hierarchy on the experience of racism.

Wait. What??? But. . .

Never mind.

Great post. I agree completely with everything you said, especially your comments on economic status and education in their relation to disadvantaged status. I have witnessed multiple times black African natives play the racism/diversity card -- people from extremely wealthy families, sometimes royalty in Africa, and use this to help gain admission to professional school through policies that were designed to help disadvantaged poor African Americans. Your comments are spot on.

Lol let’s leave it alone. I would love to know where lull lives though :rofl:

It's funny how you and other posters jumped all over me, rushed to assume my race and used that solely to discredit my observations and opinions ad hominem, but when this poster pointed out the same thing I did -- Lizzy's line of questioning suggesting that it's only ok for certain groups to claim racism in certain situations (a "racial hierarchy" as lull put it) , you'll "leave it alone." As I responded to LIzzy, "take a step back and think about it." But maybe you'll just hit the ignore button instead too.

This will be my last post on this thread as I have been advised that my opinions on the topic were a deliberate attempt to derail the thread. Something which I think is absurd considering they directly relate to the OP's original question of whether his/her experiences with racism were valid enough to warrant mention, which shockingly to me was immediately questioned in the first reply as only being valid if this person were a particular "URM."