CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@racccjlm & @nyanko , Thank you so much for your responses! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for.

At this point in time my #1 interest is Dentistry (but a couple other specialties are not completely out of the picture). Ultimately I would like to work in a Private referral practice. Ive started making some contacts through our dental club and plan on running for President this spring. Im a pretty steady B student with an occasional A. Im trying to get more As, but sometimes its just not worth the risk of dropping grades in other classes to get the A in one class so I end up with Bs across the board. I guess a big issue right now is that I dont have any research experience. Mizzou doesnt have a Dental Residency program so what about research in other disciplines? And what type of roles should I be looking for with possible research projects?

Members don't see this ad.

In my case, I'm unable to really visit places (externships booked already) that I'll be applying to. Do you recommend emailing to get more info before the applications are even due and getting your name out there or is it better to wait until interviews? The virmp descriptions are pretty detailed already so it isn't as though I know nothing; plus, I imagine all of my questions can be asked at interviews or following up after interviews before I rank. Thoughts?
When this came up for my class, we were told try to visit even if for a day or two if you can. You can do weekends, or during something like ER rotations where you might actually have a day off during the week. For some places, not having seen you at all is a death sentence. For others, just a ding but not a deal breaker.

But hey, worst case scenario, a good number of positions at pretty well regarded internships didn't get filled this year, so even if you don't match it's not the end of the world

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case, I'm unable to really visit places (externships booked already) that I'll be applying to. Do you recommend emailing to get more info before the applications are even due and getting your name out there or is it better to wait until interviews? The virmp descriptions are pretty detailed already so it isn't as though I know nothing; plus, I imagine all of my questions can be asked at interviews or following up after interviews before I rank. Thoughts?

I agree - the VIRMP descriptions are fairly detailed (more info often found on their websites). My questions for the interns weren't so much about the mechanics of the programs, but the nature of them. How much support did the interns actually have, were senior clinicians willing to act as mentors, etc. I know dynamics of a place is hard to predict from year to year, but there's a difference between unhappiness due to a case gone wrong/bad day vs. unhappiness because it's a bad work environment for whatever reason.

Keep in mind, many places do not contact you for an interview (paper application only). So those questions may go unanswered unless you contact them. As far as emailing before applications - sure. I contacted after my apps were in, others I know contacted before.

I guess a big issue right now is that I dont have any research experience. Mizzou doesnt have a Dental Residency program so what about research in other disciplines? And what type of roles should I be looking for with possible research projects?

Do you have board certified dentists? Wouldn't hurt to contact them and let them know you're interested in the specialty. I basically emailed, introduced myself, and relayed I'd be happy to volunteer in any capacity for the professors. I started mainly helping with simple tasks and eventually worked my way up to writing some literature (working on being published now). Having your name on papers is helpful, and if you're given the opportunity - try to gain first authorship on a project. I'm not saying that research involvement is crucial for an internship - it's not. However, it does fill in that space on the résumé, and can aid you in your future endeavors past the internship - i.e. attaining a residency. Sounds like you're on track with dentistry :) My interests haven't changed since freshman year - but I did make an effort to keep an open mind, in case anything else interested me more. Good luck!

Do you have board certified dentists? Wouldn't hurt to contact them and let them know you're interested in the specialty. I basically emailed, introduced myself, and relayed I'd be happy to volunteer in any capacity for the professors. I started mainly helping with simple tasks and eventually worked my way up to writing some literature (working on being published now). Having your name on papers is helpful, and if you're given the opportunity - try to gain first authorship on a project. I'm not saying that research involvement is crucial for an internship - it's not. However, it does fill in that space on the résumé, and can aid you in your future endeavors past the internship - i.e. attaining a residency. Sounds like you're on track with dentistry :) My interests haven't changed since freshman year - but I did make an effort to keep an open mind, in case anything else interested me more. Good luck!

We don't have any boarded dentists.. Our community practice director runs the dental unit at the university. But he has lots of contacts in the dental world- he actually ran the dental wet lab at SAVMA this year with the dentist that founded the Res program at Wisconsin ... They both also did our extraction lab here at Mizzou. I made sure and talked to him about my interests and got his business card.

I will get in touch with him and see if he knows of any projects going on in the hospital that may need a volunteer. Thanks for all of your info!!

We start our last freaking rotation tomorrow. 4 more weeks!

Reactions: 3 users
We start our last freaking rotation tomorrow. 4 more weeks!
I've been called "Doctor ______" more than I've been called my first name during interviews these past few weeks that I've been taking pretty much all my vacation time job searching, and sh**'s gettin super real. If only I had a contract signed already! Then I might actually feel like one!

I've been called "Doctor ______" more than I've been called my first name during interviews these past few weeks that I've been taking pretty much all my vacation time job searching, and sh**'s gettin super real. If only I had a contract signed already! Then I might actually feel like one!

Soon!!! Dr. Minnerbelle has a nice ring to it. :)

Also re contacting internships beforehand. I would def recommend an introductory e-mail. I didn't send one until early December, but I was glad I did. Even if you can't visit for an externship, a day, whatever, you can offer a skype chat or just e-mail a few questions or chat to interns. It gets your name out there and fresh in their minds as being interested.

I agree - the VIRMP descriptions are fairly detailed (more info often found on their websites). My questions for the interns weren't so much about the mechanics of the programs, but the nature of them. How much support did the interns actually have, were senior clinicians willing to act as mentors, etc. I know dynamics of a place is hard to predict from year to year, but there's a difference between unhappiness due to a case gone wrong/bad day vs. unhappiness because it's a bad work environment for whatever reason.

Keep in mind, many places do not contact you for an interview (paper application only). So those questions may go unanswered unless you contact them. As far as emailing before applications - sure. I contacted after my apps were in, others I know contacted before.

I'm going for lab animal residency, so many (if not all) have an interview :) thanks for the info!

you end with 4 weeks of radiology...? :hurting:
Prob institution dependent, but it was my least fav rotation of all times. Total waste of my time.
Yep. Definitely not my favorite subject but it is 8-5 and I lucked out by not being on call on the weekends. At least that's what I keep telling myself. The third years got 4 weeks off at Christmas which messed up our schedule so we have 4 weeks of this rotation instead of the normal 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Definitely not my favorite subject but it is 8-5 and I lucked out by not being on call on the weekends. At least that's what I keep telling myself. The third years got 4 weeks off at Christmas which messed up our schedule so we have 4 weeks of this rotation instead of the normal 3.
Ewwww I'd be so pissed if the reason why I had to do an extra week of radiology was because of someone else's vacation schedule!

HEY. It's not like it was by request or something, it just happened. I don't make the schedule, I just live here.

I have 4 days left of vet school: 2 days of behavior this week (wed/thurs) and next week :eek:

Reactions: 6 users
4th years find out about exam results. Post about being final years now.

I feel like a baby bird being rudely shoved out of the nest.

I am totally blaming your class.

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT I HAVE FOUR WEEKS OF VACATION INSTEAD OF THREE
:)

Oh yeah, I thought of that! Lucky! I would have four weeks of clin path if it happened, so... Also okay with it.

Lissa, I was gonna ask you what you thought of ophtho rotation as an elective?

Oh yeah, I thought of that! Lucky! I would have four weeks of clin path if it happened, so... Also okay with it.

Lissa, I was gonna ask you what you thought of ophtho rotation as an elective?
I loved it. I had Dr. P and it was fun, relaxed, and I learned a ton!

thoughts on the phrase "interviews are neither required nor encouraged"? came off the page of an internship program i was perusing through...

thoughts on the phrase "interviews are neither required nor encouraged"? came off the page of an internship program i was perusing through...
That sends up red flags for me but I didn't apply for an internship so I don't know if that's weird or not.

At least in the match, this meant that they didn't expect people to visit and didn't want people to think that just because they did visit it meant they had a better chance than someone who couldn't. Though the phrasing here does sound a bit odd.

At least in the match, this meant that they didn't expect people to visit and didn't want people to think that just because they did visit it meant they had a better chance than someone who couldn't. Though the phrasing here does sound a bit odd.

Yeah... The phrasing does sound odd... You'd think that visiting would be encouraged even if it didnt play a part in their decisions

Yeah... The phrasing does sound odd... You'd think that visiting would be encouraged even if it didnt play a part in their decisions
I visited one place that doesn't do interviews, and it was pretty clear they, in general, didn't want visitors/have time for them but :shrug:

For an academic institution, I don't think that's weird at all, based on what I saw when I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to chime in on the internship/residency topic, do any of you know how common it is for surgical programs to interview? I've been recommended by faculty to be an intern and resident at a university even though I want to eventually work in private practice.

Last day of clinics! One week until graduation!

Last edited:
I officially finished at 8am on Monday! What a great feeling.

Re: internships. I am a super shy person and although I was advised to email and try to contact places for interviews, I could never actually bring myself to do it. Partly afraid to make contact, partly afraid I'd shoot myself in the foot. I will definitely be more proactive about interviews next year when applying for residencies though. Some of my classmates applied to some private practices and they were contacted for interviews, and I think Iowa State contacted people for interviews but most of the other academic institutions did not. I did make sure to do very well on the small animal medicine and surgery rotations, and I put them early in my schedule so I'd have time to go through the rotation and ask for letters well before the match deadline. At the beginning of both rotations they asked if anyone was applying for internships, but if they don't you should definitely let them know so they can keep a better eye on you. I asked them if they were comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation. I talked to a lot of faculty and interns and residents for advice, which was helpful but also frustrating because you will get a lot of conflicting answers. I did research between first and second year and between third and fourth year, so I had quite a few poster presentations and managed to submit a paper before the match deadline which I think helped me out a lot. I also asked faculty with connections to my top choices to put in a good word for me. I worked in the teaching hospital between second and third year which definitely helped me out on rotations and let me get to know the residents too. I ended up matching at my #2 choice and got to stay in the country which was my major goal so I'm really happy with how my match turned out, even without interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here Lis. Done today, and graduation next Saturday. We made it!

DONE DONE DONE DONE DONE. walked across the stage today :)

not sure how frequently i'll be back here anymore, but the past four years have been great! good luck in your careers, everyone :)

Reactions: 6 users
Question to the current final years:

What set of dates would be better to try to have off for NAVLE studying:

October 26th to November 16th

Or

November 23rd to December 14th.

(We are also given 2 weeks off at Christmas, then a week of revision and then exams... so if I take that last option I will have off from November 23rd to January 11th, but that includes taking exams).

What do you think?

Question to the current final years:

What set of dates would be better to try to have off for NAVLE studying:

October 26th to November 16th

Or

November 23rd to December 14th.

(We are also given 2 weeks off at Christmas, then a week of revision and then exams... so if I take that last option I will have off from November 23rd to January 11th, but that includes taking exams).

What do you think?
October. You don't want to be distracted by family things. Most of the testing is offered mid-nov through mid-Dec