CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope. Aside from the full length tests you can purchase hat I highly recommend, I feel like you're more likely to cover all of your bases if you just stick with one comprehensive study program and do all of it, rather than dabble at multiple

Same here. Pick one, do as much as possible, and run through 1-2 of the official NAVLE practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

I did less than 15% of Zuku and Vetprep each and 3 of the official practice tests. Really the practice tests helped a boatload more than either of the other things as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else on call all holiday weekend with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked July 4, I work tomorrow...and Thanksgiving, Christmas + eve, New Years + eve. :(

For serious? You don't get a single holiday off? Ouch.

My overall mediocre luck apparently carries over into scheduling, too. Out of twelve of us, I got screwed, and one other person I think did too. Everyone else gets one (or two or three) holidays off.

My overall mediocre luck apparently carries over into scheduling, too. Out of twelve of us, I got screwed, and one other person I think did too. Everyone else gets one (or two or three) holidays off.
This sounds like it should be remedied by simple human compassion. Why wouldn't whoever makes the schedule simply redistribute the holiday work days?

Reactions: 1 users
I worked July 4, I work tomorrow...and Thanksgiving, Christmas + eve, New Years + eve. :(

At least you know your schedule... Pretty sure I worked almost the entire July 4 weekend. That was the weekend that essentially led to PTSD. Never been the same person since. Literally close to tears multiple times today. Twas a bad bad day.

Currently only getting 1 mos schedule at a time so who knows what it will look like other holidays. Pretty sure holidays don't exist at this point. Mahhhhhh.

I'm having a similar experience - 4th of July weekend was HORRID. This weekend...barely tolerable. I'm on emergency every single holiday for the next year - if not days, then overnights. Just how the schedule panned out. Bah humbug.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today's episode: Labor Day, The Aftermath.

Reactions: 1 user
Today's episode: Labor Day, The Aftermath.

x2. Luckily nowhere as bad as Friday but they sure kept me hopping today.

If I hear the words "it happened last week but I HAD to go on vacation this weekend" one more time I might throw a hissy fit.

and just to make me cranky- a few of the patients I saw on Friday did not make it through the weekend so I had a crap ton of faxes from the referal centers waiting for me this morning.

and just to make me cranky- a few of the patients I saw on Friday did not make it through the weekend so I had a crap ton of faxes from the referal centers waiting for me this morning.

And then imagine how cranky all of us who had to send all of the faxes over the weekend were.

(Yesterday was absolutely insane and I started at 7 am and did not leave until 2:30 in the morning)

First medicine rotation down...on to ambo tomorrow.

Also...I have no idea what time of day it is. I feel jet lagged after my emergency colic Sunday night that kept me in the clinic in sx from 9pm until 6am...

Being constantly overtired, being constantly under the pressures of a busy ER, essentially needing to switch my character for an acting production from room to room within seconds based on presentation, and going through the emotional ups and downs of multiple euthanasias daily, on top of just general twitchiness of being a new grad was really catching up with me to the point where anytime I was alone and not interacting with staff or clients, my eyes would start welling up with tears for like no specific reason. This wasn't conducive to anything so I decided to remedy this by watching a movie about dying cancer teenagers so I could have a real reason to just stream cleansing tears. Phew, I feel better and more stable again. But geez what does that say about me?

At the end of the movie I was wailing, so my bf gave me a big hug. And then 2 seconds later, I'm like perfectly normal going "so what time are you getting up tomorrow, I'm showering at 6." And he was like, wtf...

Good times. Really doing well on maintaining my mental health. Hopefully I don't like crack anytime soon.

Oh man Minnerbelle you described my Sunday night to a tee except substitute GP for ER and substitute "Bridegroom" for dying cancer teenagers.
Hang in there.

I have only come close to the breakdown once, and it was after a really difficult client interaction wherein I got told about how in human medicine they didn't care about the money and when we went to an emergency room they didn't make us sign an estimate up front to start treatment and how could we be so heartless etc...the whole time all I'm thinking is "Your dog has been REALLY SICK for at least a week now and you're concerned about a 2 hour delay???" (DKA dog that had stopped eating a week beforehand and she literally wrote all over my estimate and crossed things off and tried to completely dictate my treatment plan so I had to keep making new ones).

She asked for her dog back at one point and I should have just said okay, go somewhere else, but of course I talked her down and convinced her to leave the dog so we could start treatment. She insisted on coming back to see the dog, took a bunch of pictures and also commented that our computer generated label was incorrect because her dog was NOT a miniature poodle but was a miniature goldendoodle, couldn't we even get the breed right??? She yelled at like three other doctors/staff members throughout the dog's three day stay with us and then took the dog home AMA early.

Somehow I kept it together through all of that but it wasn't easy.

My boss is going out of town...again. And he asked me to work on my day off (again) so he can go to a college football game. Um no. I put my foot down on that one.

Reactions: 4 users
Tomorrow is my first solo night on call. It's only for large animals, and I can call my boss if I get really stuck... But I am still slightly terrified. On call from 8pm tomorrow until noon on Saturday so fingers crossed nothing decides to try and die before 12:01pm Saturday.

Tomorrow is my first solo night on call. It's only for large animals, and I can call my boss if I get really stuck... But I am still slightly terrified. On call from 8pm tomorrow until noon on Saturday so fingers crossed nothing decides to try and die before 12:01pm Saturday.
You got this!!! Sending good vibes! :highfive:

You'll be fine! It's amazing when put in that situation how much you realize you DO know!

Reactions: 2 users
Nyan, I totally had a client like that who scarred me for life. Omg total cray cray. I told him that if he was uncomfortable trusting us with his pet's care I would be happy to wrap up all his records and send him to another facility, but that any vet is going to likely tell him the same exact thing (i.e. can't guarantee outcome but pet in serious condition need sx now) and that he would be leaving AMA and should NOT wait til next day to see regular vet. I ended up bouncing pet to another doc at my hospital when shift change occurred... And I'm soooo glad I removed myself from the situation because it only got uglier. Waaaay uglier. Pet lived fine but outcome was not ideal. Dude abusive to pretty much every staff member encountered. I told my boss/staff I will have nothing to do with this person (I will not call with updates, and o cannot visit during my shift) because I could guarantee it would make the situation worse. Smartest move in my life. Usually even the pissiest of clients are fine and happy with me even if they give crap to our receptionists/techs (note I just make the estimates and don't present them). I would say 95-99% of client interactions are pleasant. So this one really took me off guard. Esp because I literally did nothing wrong. Case itself was handled well and I had no wavering thoughts on managing this case.

I worked at a vet clinic that had a really abusive client who the vets, techs and receptionists put up with for many, many years. He came in one day and was cornering the one vet into a corner and right in her face, she got him to calm down. (We had done nothing wrong, he just wanted something for free, again). After that, the vet that owned the practice fired the client, it had finally gotten too out of hand. Only time that vet has ever fired a client. I hated that client. Was so happy to know he was never coming back. I know in an emergency situation you can't just tell a client no, but in a private practice scenario, it is nice to have that option.

I worked at a vet clinic that had a really abusive client who the vets, techs and receptionists put up with for many, many years. He came in one day and was cornering the one vet into a corner and right in her face, she got him to calm down. (We had done nothing wrong, he just wanted something for free, again). After that, the vet that owned the practice fired the client, it had finally gotten too out of hand. Only time that vet has ever fired a client. I hated that client. Was so happy to know he was never coming back. I know in an emergency situation you can't just tell a client no, but in a private practice scenario, it is nice to have that option.
the only time we fired a client was when they threatened the lives of other clients in the waiting room. Corporate med for ya

Well I survived... My anti- colic dance must have worked, because the phone only rang once (at 8pm!) and it wasn't something that needed to be seen. Score! Now celebrating, because it's five o'clock somewhere

Haha...please teach me your anti-colic dance. And if anyone knows a anti-crazy owner dance that'd be awesome.

Haha...please teach me your anti-colic dance. And if anyone knows a anti-crazy owner dance that'd be awesome.

it involves ceremonial dances and chants while stocking your truck with extra NG tubes, lube and oil. best done naked under a full moon ;)
there's an anti-laceration version as well where you chant and shake your hips while alphabetizing your suture packs

I think my anti crazy dance backfired. I seem to be a hit with the crazy cat lady group :-/

it involves ceremonial dances and chants while stocking your truck with extra NG tubes, lube and oil. best done naked under a full moon ;)
there's an anti-laceration version as well where you chant and shake your hips while alphabetizing your suture packs

I think my anti crazy dance backfired. I seem to be a hit with the crazy cat lady group :-/

Please film a youtube instructional video.

Reactions: 2 users

How did you have problems finding a place to live with that kind of night time activity?! ;) I figure neighbors would be lining up around the block to gossip about the new crazy vet next door!

Man, 2 months into equine internship and there is no such thing as a day off for me. I'm either on nights for two weeks taking in emergencies/doing treatments on the in-patients and sleeping for a few hours during the day or on days doing surgery and getting called in for anesthesia when an emergency comes in and needs surgery. I envy everyone who gets days off. :/ Track season is over now, which hopefully means that it slows down a little bit. At least until foaling/breeding season starts.

Man, 2 months into equine internship and there is no such thing as a day off for me. I'm either on nights for two weeks taking in emergencies/doing treatments on the in-patients and sleeping for a few hours during the day or on days doing surgery and getting called in for anesthesia when an emergency comes in and needs surgery. I envy everyone who gets days off. :/ Track season is over now, which hopefully means that it slows down a little bit. At least until foaling/breeding season starts.

I do enjoy the not on call days when you actually are on call for your inpatients so you get called anyways.
Thank goodness i'm on ambo now.

I do enjoy the not on call days when you actually are on call for your inpatients so you get called anyways.
Thank goodness i'm on ambo now.

Ahh no wonder you weren't around when I visited this afternoon!

Ahh no wonder you weren't around when I visited this afternoon!

I saw her out playing with the mules while I was zoning out during BacT lecture today hahaha

They gave us a two week radiholiday rotation. This is my first Saturday where I didn't have to wake up at 6am since June. (Instead I woke at 7 to finally get my driver's license straightened out). Bliss.

Why are you such a creeper.
haha, if you weren't so short I wouldn't have even noticed it was you lol thats the only bad part about us having class in adams- so many windows to be distracted by!!

USDA training tomorrow... for the second time. Stupid maryland making me repeat the initial training in addition to their state specific. at least I'll finally be able to sign coggins after three months of working.

also still waiting for my controlled substance license app to be processed by the state- received by them over a month ago and still pending. this is sort of less than ideal.

I hate bureaucracy. patience is not my virtue.

USDA training tomorrow... for the second time. Stupid maryland making me repeat the initial training in addition to their state specific. at least I'll finally be able to sign coggins after three months of working.

also still waiting for my controlled substance license app to be processed by the state- received by them over a month ago and still pending. this is sort of less than ideal.

I hate bureaucracy. patience is not my virtue.

You're in MD? I should find you and buy you a beer when I get home in November!

With you guys having graduated and spent some time out in the "wild"... any top suggestions on clinical rotations I should definitely do (or not do!) as a fourth year? I'm interested mainly in private practice.

With you guys having graduated and spent some time out in the "wild"... any top suggestions on clinical rotations I should definitely do (or not do!) as a fourth year? I'm interested mainly in private practice.

I hate eyeballs.... And I really wish I had sucked it up and taken the rotation. Because I drown in eyeball gunk some days and some of these cases are freaking wierd.

I hate eyeballs.... And I really wish I had sucked it up and taken the rotation. Because I drown in eyeball gunk some days and some of these cases are freaking wierd.
Are they LA, SA or both? I am alright with dog/cat's, but horses are aggravating in my opinion.