CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely second the October option. I had a two week break right before the test window opened, got to study plenty with no distractions, took NAVLE the second day available, and got to spend Thanksgiving not stressing anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had all of October off and I definitely recommend that time.

The only way that I can get a good majority of October off is if I do the free time falling between September 28th and October 19th, but that would mean I am in the middle of small animal surgery when the NAVLE dates come around...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the earlier of your two options

Thanks, everyone...

I will make October 26th to November 16th my first choice,

which would be better for second choice...

Sept 28th to October 19th or November 23rd to December 14th...

We get to mark our top choice, no guarantee that we actually get the first choice.

Agreed. September.

Thanks! :)

I would ask which times are best for spring semester too, but I have pretty much decided that I like the idea of taking my two free blocks both in a row starting on April 25th and only having to return for graduation in June.

Graduation is tomorrow. It feels like Christmas Eve! I'm too excited to sleep.

Reactions: 9 users
Strange request...if anyone would be willing to send me a picture of their diploma it would be appreciated. One of our classmates is on a mission to get ours to look more professional/nicer/more like other schools' diplomas and wanted to have some more examples to share with our registrar's office. You can blur out any information you'd like, but it will only be shown to the administration in charge of our diplomas and the one girl passing the pictures along, not posted on Facebook or anything.

Thanks in advance and congrats again guys! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
um, hello :p
OMG.. so sorry (i edited you back in, cause there is no way I should have left you out)

Congrats to @bunnity !

And I looked all over to see you after graduation and couldn't find you (or your friend with a dog named Finn)… I must have seen just about everyone else. :(

Last edited:
Aww I didn't see you either! I didn't stick around too long afterward 'cause we had dinner reservations but I would have loved to see you!

Reactions: 3 users
Today, I was like, 'man, it's fun playing doctor.' Then I came to the shocking realization that I AM a doctor, and this is all real and not make pretend anymore! o_O

My boss is an awesome amazing mentor, and is really good about setting me up for success. And the other doctors and staff have all been super helpful too. Loving my job :)

Reactions: 7 users
Today, I was like, 'man, it's fun playing doctor.' Then I came to the shocking realization that I AM a doctor, and this is all real and not make pretend anymore! o_O

My boss is an awesome amazing mentor, and is really good about setting me up for success. And the other doctors and staff have all been super helpful too. Loving my job :)
that doesn't really go away ;)

The students....and the clients...they all keep calling me Dr. SnS, and I have no idea who they are talking about.

Reactions: 4 users
The students....and the clients...they all keep calling me Dr. SnS, and I have no idea who they are talking about.

This is awesome! Super excited for you! I hope Mizzou is being good to you so far!!

I feel the same way. I keep getting the giggles every time I sign rabies certs with Katryn, DVM.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright class of 2014ers, what's the coolest thing you have done as a doctor so far? I did a gastrotomy this morning on a pug that got into the bathroom trash. I removed a tampon from her stomach. Yep. Highlight of my week.

Reactions: 3 users
Ah. I removed a tampon from her stomach. Y.
YoureDoingitWrong.jpg

Alright class of 2014ers, what's the coolest thing you have done as a doctor so far? I did a gastrotomy this morning on a pug that got into the bathroom trash. I removed a tampon from her stomach. Yep. Highlight of my week.

I don't even remember. So tired.
#willieverseemybedagain?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't even remember. So tired.
#willieverseemybedagain?
Ditto that.

I've been euthanizing so many patients I've lost count... At some point in the past week I had 3 rooms loaded at the same time for euthanasia. There are clay paws like everywhere. The ER euths are a little weird because it's the first time I meet a lot of the patients/clients. I euthanized a patient for the first time this week that I had worked fairly extensively with. First time I cried with the owner during a euth. I have at least 2 pets right now who came to me for euth consults on ER, for whom I am managing hospice care for. These cases are emotionally taxing.

Ditto that.

I've been euthanizing so many patients I've lost count... At some point in the past week I had 3 rooms loaded at the same time for euthanasia. There are clay paws like everywhere. The ER euths are a little weird because it's the first time I meet a lot of the patients/clients. I euthanized a patient for the first time this week that I had worked fairly extensively with. First time I cried with the owner during a euth. I have at least 2 pets right now who came to me for euth consults on ER, for whom I am managing hospice care for. These cases are emotionally taxing.
Minner- are you working in a ER/ referral hospital? Or just a busy GP?

I'm at that twitchy phase where anytime I overhear that a client is unhappy with something, or a patient that was seen recently is having issues, I think "oh dear god, was it me? Was it meeee???? The ax is finally falling ahhhh!" And then get super relieved when it's not my case, or if it was but turns out to be nothing.

Learned how to do a linear fb and did bladder stone removal in one day of ER!

Reactions: 2 users
Why am I a DKA magnet? WHYYY
My boss nicknamed me Dr. Parvo.

I had a weird case yesterday. Cat was scheduled for a neuter. I went to check his testicles and he didn't have a scrotum. Hmmm thats weird. Double checked that he had a penis. Yep, it's there. Double checked with the owners that he hadn't been previously neutered. Nope. Ok so looking like a bilateral cryptorchid. So we went fishing but neither me nor my boss could find testicles. We looked really hard, too. We did find what looked like a rudimentary uterus though so we think he is a pseudohermaphrodite. Owner doesn't want to do any chromosomal, etc testing though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I had a weird case yesterday. Cat was scheduled for a neuter. I went to check his testicles and he didn't have a scrotum. Hmmm thats weird. Double checked that he had a penis. Yep, it's there. Double checked with the owners that he hadn't been previously neutered. Nope. Ok so looking like a bilateral cryptorchid. So we went fishing but neither me nor my boss could find testicles. We looked really hard, too. We did find what looked like a rudimentary uterus though so we think he is a pseudohermaphrodite. Owner doesn't want to do any chromosomal, etc testing though.

Had that once, too. Black Persian. It was weird. We were like... Well, he can't reproduce... So...

Spines on penis?

did anyone do the VIN NAVLE prep course? i already have a vet prep premium subscription and am just wondering if its worth using another "commercial" source to study

Nope. Aside from the full length tests you can purchase hat I highly recommend, I feel like you're more likely to cover all of your bases if you just stick with one comprehensive study program and do all of it, rather than dabble at multiple