Class of 2015 (Application cycle 2010-2011)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump

how's MCAT and PS preparation going for everyone?

It definitely has ruined my spring break. I seem to have bio in the bag but i'm sure that's the case for just about everyone. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely has ruined my spring break. I seem to have bio in the bag but i'm sure that's the case for just about everyone. :rolleyes:

I've got VR and BS pretty well wrapped up... I'm still inconsistent on PS though :mad: I've scored a 6 on PS as well as an 11 and everything in between...

Members don't see this ad :)

Bio has been my lowest scoring section so far... lol. Havent taken bio in...5 or 6 years :(

PS - done
LORs - done
Bachelors Degree - done
Pre-Reqs - done
LOR from DO - Done
MCAT - :eek: ****.. May 27th

Ah yes, I still need a DO letter. I've got a PS written and it's gotten good reviews from the people I've let read it except for a couple, so I'm going to tweak it some between now and May.

I cant wait to apply!! Cant wait till May 1st to start filling in primary!

Got everything done but LOR from a DO. Gotta shadow on this summer although they are hard to find where im from (canada). Gotta retake BIO1 and OChem 2 also, got C- in both. Doing that this summer, although I might only retake the BIO1, we will see. It wont affect my gpa too much retaking them, Im only doing it for the schools that require a C or higher in all pre-reqs (which is only 6 schools I can apply to as a Canadian, out of 19 schools)

Top Choices: DMU, Western Health, LECOM, UNE

I cant wait to apply!! Cant wait till May 1st to start filling in primary!

Got everything done but LOR from a DO. Gotta shadow on this summer although they are hard to find where im from (canada). Gotta retake BIO1 and OChem 2 also, got C- in both. Doing that this summer, although I might only retake the BIO1, we will see. It wont affect my gpa too much retaking them, Im only doing it for the schools that require a C or higher in all pre-reqs (which is only 6 schools I can apply to as a Canadian, out of 19 schools)

Top Choices: DMU, Western Health, LECOM, UNE

Is a 2.0 a C or a C-? I got a 2.0 for a physics lab, whoops.

I need to retake two prereqs but I was planning on applying early and stating "in progress" for these classes since they aren't offered earlier- is this a bad idea? I have a C- in these classes, would some schools automatically reject me?

I would ideally take them in Sept 2010 or Jan 2011 depending on which school will allow me to take them (and if they're offered) but I'm hoping to apply sometime this June. Ugh wish I worked out my schedule better!!

Regarding MCAT prep, I seem to be the complete opposite for my sections Bio has been my lowest every time. I am taking a Kaplan prep course right now and it is giving me direction in my studying but I definitely am not utilizing it the way I should. I am applying to at least 10 schools but my top ones are LECOM, LMU (close to home), UNE, VCOM, and I dunno what else really. I am taking the MCAT May 22.
Should I wait to turn in my application after I get my MCAT score back or go ahead and turn it in and have the scores forwarded? I am afraid my MCAT score will be too low for certain schools and I will have wasted my money turning in the primary.....

Regarding MCAT prep, I seem to be the complete opposite for my sections Bio has been my lowest every time. I am taking a Kaplan prep course right now and it is giving me direction in my studying but I definitely am not utilizing it the way I should. I am applying to at least 10 schools but my top ones are LECOM, LMU (close to home), UNE, VCOM, and I dunno what else really. I am taking the MCAT May 22.
Should I wait to turn in my application after I get my MCAT score back or go ahead and turn it in and have the scores forwarded? I am afraid my MCAT score will be too low for certain schools and I will have wasted my money turning in the primary.....

This doesn't seem to be the case with other MCATers but I have done terrible on Kaplan Bio exam portions. Examkrackers and AAMC so far I've been bouncing back and forth between a 9 and a 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't seem to be the case with other MCATers but I have done terrible on Kaplan Bio exam portions. Examkrackers and AAMC so far I've been bouncing back and forth between a 9 and a 10.

One thing I know is Kaplan passages for all subjects are a million times longer than AAMC passages. It's good though because the Kaplan practice makes the AAMC seem like a lot less to go through.

Hey Guys! I'm applying for the 2015 cycle as well. Sitting for the MCAT May 1 and hoping to start filling in my primary as soon as I recover :D.

For LORs I've seen that some schools utilize electronic submission services. Can someone elaborate on how this works? I'm a non-trad and trying to get my LORs from both profs and Do together. Thanks!

Looking at KCUMB, PCOM-GA, LECOM-B, NSU, ?!?

Hey Guys! I'm applying for the 2015 cycle as well. Sitting for the MCAT May 1 and hoping to start filling in my primary as soon as I recover :D.

For LORs I've seen that some schools utilize electronic submission services. Can someone elaborate on how this works? I'm a non-trad and trying to get my LORs from both profs and Do together. Thanks!

Looking at KCUMB, PCOM-GA, LECOM-B, NSU, ?!?

I am using one of the electronic LOR submission services. I think there are two of them, Interfolio (one i am using) and VirtualEvals. You open up an account at one of them and get your letter writers to submit the letter straight to them. Interfolio will then forward to the school directly via online or through an actual mail (depending on the school). You do pay for a yearly account and for each set of letters you are sending, there is an additional charge. www.interfolio.com

good luck:)

One thing I know is Kaplan passages for all subjects are a million times longer than AAMC passages. It's good though because the Kaplan practice makes the AAMC seem like a lot less to go through.

my MCAT passages were almost twice as long as the kaplan ones. maybe i just had a bad test?? :confused:

im actually a little confused about filling out primaries on may 1. can we start filling them out then, but not submit till june 1? is that how it works?

im actually a little confused about filling out primaries on may 1. can we start filling them out then, but not submit till june 1? is that how it works?

As far as i think/know, you can filling out on May 1st and submit it then to if you want. I think it was the same last year as well. Maybe some students of 2014 can confirm this

my MCAT passages were almost twice as long as the kaplan ones. maybe i just had a bad test?? :confused:

That seems to be the consensus, real test passages tend to be longer than the practice tests ones offered by the testing companies. I remember my verbal passages and my PS section seeming longer than the most of the aamc practice ones i took.

That seems to be the consensus, real test passages tend to be longer than the practice tests ones offered by the testing companies. I remember my verbal passages and my PS section seeming longer than the most of the aamc practice ones i took.

To anyone yet to take the MCAT, use AAMC practice test 7, 8, 9 and 10. They're very similar to the real thing, IMO way better than TPR or Kaplan.

Average your score b/w the four (some are easier, some are not) and you will have a fairly accurate picture of where you stand.

Yeah that's what it seems the January test takers said. I'm hoping for something closer to practice tests obviously. We'll see.

Anybody know if an MCAT taken on Jan 2008 is still good for the '10-'11 cycle?

Anybody know if an MCAT taken on Jan 2008 is still good for the '10-'11 cycle?

tough to say bro. You'd have to check with the schools. its sorta tricky since your mcat will expire in jan 2011. Just ask the schools you are interested in applying or look in the CIB for all those school. that'll tell you the oldest mcat they'll accept

I havent taken any of the AAMC practice ones yet so hopefully those will give me a better idea. Thanks for everyones suggestions about which practice exams to take. I had no clue.

Hey guys what do yall think is the latest I can take my MCAT and still have my score in time for 'early' applications? Would taking the MCAT mid June be alright? It's my second time taking it... got a 28 the first time around, but hope to offset my GPA with a higher score.

Looking forward to getting my application in. Goodluck to everyone :)

i think mid june is fine. to me early is anything before august. so if you were to take your mcats june 15th, and apply july 15th, you would be early.

on another note, does anyone have a list of DO schools that allow replacement of orgo 2 with biochem?

Hey guys what do yall think is the latest I can take my MCAT and still have my score in time for 'early' applications? Would taking the MCAT mid June be alright? It's my second time taking it... got a 28 the first time around, but hope to offset my GPA with a higher score.

Looking forward to getting my application in. Goodluck to everyone :)

What is your GPA? Your 28 might be enough.

Hey guys, I know we don't have a lot of TX residents on SDN so I'll try to balance it out! This is my first time applying for med schools and so I've been surfing the forums for all the info I can get. I noticed that some of you have written a personal statement and I haven't heard of that. What all should be included in the PS? Your life or what makes you unique or is it more like a letter of intent?

My top choice is TCOM but I plan on applying to LECOM-B, NOVA, NYCOM, Touro-NY, Touro-CA, and Western. Those are the states that I am interested in but if there are other programs that I should apply to, share your knowledge!

i think mid june is fine. to me early is anything before august.
cool.

What is your GPA? Your 28 might be enough.
AACOMAS GPA:
Science: 3.19
Non-science: 3.23
Cumulative: 3.21

AACOMAS GPA 2
Science: 3.05
Non-science: 2.72
Cumulative: 2.88

I was told about a year ago that retaken courses that are worth less credit hours than the original course aren't eligible for the DO retake policy. For me these were generic math courses (precal/cal) that I did really bad in my freshman year. I retook them and did pretty good. I'm going to mark them as retakes in my application because I really don't understand how the courses differ other than the credit hours. My first GPA is counting the retake policy for those courses, and the 2nd GPA is if my retakes don't count. Granted, if my retakes don't count I don't think I stand a chance at getting in but I want to retake the MCAT cause I think it's possible I can do better which would probably offer more comfort to adcoms considering my first few years. It's kind of a convoluted situation, but I really really hope somehow all of this works out. I will be the happiest man alive if I even get one interview :D

Hey guys, I know we don't have a lot of TX residents on SDN so I'll try to balance it out! This is my first time applying for med schools and so I've been surfing the forums for all the info I can get. I noticed that some of you have written a personal statement and I haven't heard of that. What all should be included in the PS? Your life or what makes you unique or is it more like a letter of intent?

My top choice is TCOM but I plan on applying to LECOM-B, NOVA, NYCOM, Touro-NY, Touro-CA, and Western. Those are the states that I am interested in but if there are other programs that I should apply to, share your knowledge!
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/section_Overview.html

Scroll all the way until you see Questions Tab: Essays... or you can just ctrl+f it. That gives information about the personal statement (aka essays).

cool.

AACOMAS GPA:

AACOMAS GPA 2

I was told about a year ago that retaken courses that are worth less credit hours than the original course aren't eligible for the DO retake policy. For me these were generic math courses (precal/cal) that I did really bad in my freshman year. I retook them and did pretty good. I'm going to mark them as retakes in my application because I really don't understand how the courses differ other than the credit hours. My first GPA is counting the retake policy for those courses, and the 2nd GPA is if my retakes don't count. Granted, if my retakes don't count I don't think I stand a chance at getting in but I want to retake the MCAT cause I think it's possible I can do better which would probably offer more comfort to adcoms considering my first few years. It's kind of a convoluted situation, but I really really hope somehow all of this works out. I will be the happiest man alive if I even get one interview :D

I see. If your GPAs are the ones I bolded then you're in good shape with a 28.

cool.

AACOMAS GPA:

AACOMAS GPA 2

same issue here......

Hey guys a quick question. I know the cycle opens up on may 1st. I plan on sending my transcripts in the second week of may since then all my marks come in. So my question; can i submit my app on aacomas while my transcripts are on their way to aacom?

Hey guys, I should probably start posting here, too. I'm applying mostly to MD but I'm definitely applying to PCOM and likely UMDNJ-SOM, too. My husband and I REALLY want to stay in the Philadelphia area.

I haven't started my PS yet, but I'm not going to until after I take the MCAT May 1st. I've got a draft in my head, though. I'm devoting all my pre-med preparing time to the MCAT right now. I also plan to shadow a few docs, one of them being a DO (easy to find in Philly) for a letter in the not too distant future. I've got decent ECs but I'm going to start volunteering as a GED tutor next week and my composite letter LORs have all been requested... about half of them are in right now.

ok i have a question that i have asked to a few ppl but no one has been able to give me a proper answer. i was on the aacom site and was reading about grade conversions. so everyone knows that this is the standardized way they convert your grades:
The AACOMAS grading system standardizes the way grades will be reported to your designated medical schools. AACOMAS grades include: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- and F. The AACOMAS Grade is assigned a numeric value to calculate your grade point average. These values are: A 4 A- 3.7 B+ 3.3 B 3.0 B- 2.7 C+ 2.3 C 2.0 C- 1.7 D+ 1.3 D 1.0 D- 0.7 F 0.0
but then it also says:
As you enter Grades, the AACOMAS system will attempt to convert and create an AACOMAS Grade. If an AACOMAS Grade is automatically created you should generally accept the conversion

If your institution uses this grading scale, choose the appropriate grade from the Letter Grade Format. If the "+" grade has a value of "0.5" at your institution, you need to reflect the "0.5" numeric value for "+" grades only in the AACOMAS Grade column. Enter the numeric grade for plus grades (e.g. 3.5, 2.5, or 1.5). Enter letter grades for all other grades.

does anyone know exactly what that last part means? does that mean that if my school uses .5 values for plus grades, i can just do that and my gpa would not be affected and all my plus grades wont be converted to .3?

first draft of PS is completed and I have had lots of good feedback. There will be some changes but have not sat down to do them yet.

MCAT: I am taking it Aug so right now I am doing a content review. Chem and Phsyics I am doing well but man Biology is killing me. THat might be that I took it along time ago. So I am getting a biology book and will be doing an extensive review in the next couple of weeks.

I am putting together my study guidelines and time table to stick with that will be 12-14 weeks.

tbcnm

Hey everybody! Im so happy to see that other people out there are as scared/nervous/excited/ready to cry at any second about this application process. I have finally decided that I want to go with the DO route and I am looking into which schools I want to apply to now. Is anyone else out there going to apply without a DO LOR?

I still recommend applying with a DO letter, the schools care about the osteopathic philosophies and they like it if you see one in action, especially if the DO practices OMM in front of you. They will ask you about this in the interview [Why DO and not MD and having a personal experience of the philosophy will save you the hesitation and a potential rejection]. There ARE some schools that REQUIRE a DO letter, so check their requirements [It is in the CIB - under supplemental application requirements for each school].

I have posted the link in this post so take your time going through each school to figure out their specific requirements.

There is still a lot of time, even if you are going to apply early May, there is still a month left and couple hours a week would give you some exposure which in my opinion is better than none. And you can submit the letter even after you submit your AACOMAS [schools ALWAYS take updates even if they tell you that they don't]. So even if the school doesn't require it, send one in anyways, it will show the extra effort on your part!

If you have any other questions, then PM me and I will try my best to answer it as soon as I can and I wish everyone all the luck in the world!:luck:

uhm.... if i want to study for the MCAT spring 2011, and apply end Spring 2011... do i belong in this cycle?

uhm.... if i want to study for the MCAT spring 2011, and apply end Spring 2011... do i belong in this cycle?

this cycle is for those who are hoping to start school in the fall of 2011. it sounds like with the timing of your MCAT you'd be much better suited to wait for the next cycle.

Would a Sep. MCAT be too late for me to apply to this cycle? I'm heading out of the country for a humanitarian medical mission with the Navy during the entire months of July and August, and I'm finishing up a year long community service fellowship on June that keeps me pretty busy. The Navy mission will give me like 12 hours per day at sea where I'll have nothing better to do but study and sleep so I was thinking it would be an awesome time to finish up the MCAT prep.

What do you think. Everything else will be squared away by then, but the MCAT may have to be in Sept, and apply as soon as the results are in.

SLC

Would a Sep. MCAT be too late for me to apply to this cycle? I'm heading out of the country for a humanitarian medical mission with the Navy during the entire months of July and August, and I'm finishing up a year long community service fellowship on June that keeps me pretty busy. The Navy mission will give me like 12 hours per day at sea where I'll have nothing better to do but study and sleep so I was thinking it would be an awesome time to finish up the MCAT prep.

What do you think. Everything else will be squared away by then, but the MCAT may have to be in Sept, and apply as soon as the results are in.

SLC

Sounds like you don't have much of a choice but to take it in Sept anyway. You won't be "early" but you should still be early enough that if your app is strong there will still be a seat for you at most if not all schools.

get your transcripts sent to aacomas as soon as you can. they are slow in verifying the transcripts (as in taking weeks to verify when busy).

you may also want to start entering info into the current cycles application b/c you can import the data to the upcoming application when it becomes available.

as people have mentioned before, apply early. it is nice to have an acceptance and decide on a school before the new year.

get your transcripts sent to aacomas as soon as you can. they are slow in verifying the transcripts (as in taking weeks to verify when busy).

you may also want to start entering info into the current cycles application b/c you can import the data to the upcoming application when it becomes available.

as people have mentioned before, apply early. it is nice to have an acceptance and decide on a school before the new year.

I am applying early....should I send the transcripts in right now?

I am preparing to reapply come may, even though i have one more interview and am on a waitlist. I applied really late last cycle, and got 2 interviews. My top choice schools would be; LECOM-B, NOVA, NYCOM AND PCOM.

Even though I could be pulled off the wait list up until the day before classes, I do not want to hold off applying in case I am not accepted. The only issue is that once you submit the payment, it is non-refundable. So a situation can present itself where one could pay for the next app cycle an be accepted in the previous one. This may be one of the few circumstances where I would be really happy losing hundreds of dollars!!