Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our anatomy professor has the funniest pronunciations. Example: Joog-ular

We have a foreign cow doc here that kept pronouncing 'gauge' as 'gouge' during a lab today. I kept getting distracted by "16-gouge needle" and whatnot.

(She's quite awesome, 'gauge' pronunciation aside.)

Any non-Americans or people with the right experience: Is it really pronounced 'gouge' in non-U.S. English?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted by one of my classmates on FB:

Contrary to popular belief, the omotransversarius is not a gay dinosaur.

:laugh:

haha! i keep calling it the dinosaur muscle in my head.

our first anatomy exam is less than 48 hours! eep!

haha! i keep calling it the dinosaur muscle in my head.

our first anatomy exam is less than 48 hours! eep!

good luck! ours is tomorrow, i'm pretty sure i'm going to fail the written part but do okay on the lab part. but pasquini lets us drop one or both of tomorrows grades so it doesnt really matter. i like physio i dont like anatomy, oh well.

good luck! ours is tomorrow, i'm pretty sure i'm going to fail the written part but do okay on the lab part. but pasquini lets us drop one or both of tomorrows grades so it doesnt really matter. i like physio i dont like anatomy, oh well.

Ours is today, also, here in FL. Here I am, up early so I can squeeze in a little bit more information before the exam. It's nice, though, that we don't have any classes today because of our exam. Good luck to you on your exam and to all of those who have theirs within in the next couple of days. Shooting for an A :xf:, will be happy with a B, will be surprised if I get below that, but we shall see.

Is this Pasquini like the Pasquini that writes our anatomy text?? If so, that's *really* cool!

I didn't fail my exam. Wasn't even really close....so...Yay! :) lol. I'll just keep my little panicked mouth shut next time until grades come out.

Is this Pasquini like the Pasquini that writes our anatomy text?? If so, that's *really* cool!

Yeah!!! He is great :) His lectures are very entertaining and he teaching style is "different" but some how it sticks in my head :smuggrin:

Yeah!!! He is great :) His lectures are very entertaining and he teaching style is "different" but some how it sticks in my head :smuggrin:

it only half sticks in my head, but i'm more of a physiology person so w/e. he's totally insane, but really brilliant and an excellent professor. i really cant imagine having to go through anatomy any other way

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just amazed that you guys have lectures. We don't have lectures in anatomy...well we don't have many. We've had one on surgical correlations. That's it, so far. We pretty much just walk in, open our book, and follow the directions in there to dissect and identify. We do have a bunch of fabulous TAs and a couple of DVMs who assist, as well, and they are so nice and very helpful when you can't figure out what you're looking at.

I'm just amazed that you guys have lectures. We don't have lectures in anatomy...well we don't have many.

Count your blessings. There should be a law against teaching the autonomic nervous system at nine in the morning.

Count your blessings. There should be a law against teaching the autonomic nervous system at nine in the morning.

Seriously. Study old exams for his part of the test because it's hard!

I'm just amazed that you guys have lectures. We don't have lectures in anatomy...well we don't have many.

We've got a 1 hour lecture before each lab session. I like the lectures, since it just seems like somethings are easier to learn that way.

ETA: We've got 2 lectures a week (1 hour each), and 2 lab sessions (one 3 hours long, one 2 hours long).

I think I've got a handle on physiology. He says to read the notes before and after class, but I don't find that helps. What does help is reading the relevant textbook section before class. Then reading the notes. Then I can follow his lectures. Of course, after today's actin/myosin student participation display (my anatomy partner got to be actin :laugh:), prof is back in my good graces.

Last edited:
We have 2 anatomy lectures (50 min.) per week, and then we have 4 anatomy labs (2 hr.) per week.

We have 3 hours of anatomy every day until sometime in November (except for today-Tuesday) then we start large animal anatomy in the Spring.

it only half sticks in my head, but i'm more of a physiology person so w/e. he's totally insane, but really brilliant and an excellent professor. i really cant imagine having to go through anatomy any other way

I know!! I am going to be so upset when we take anatomy 2. I heard we have to actually take notes in that class.

Hey guys. I haven't been on here at all lately, and I'm just reading through this thread, amazed at how much many of you have done already, while some (EllieG) haven't started, and I'm in the middle of rotations (which are just interesting and not hard work).

I am dreading what I face in 4 weeks from now when real classes start.

LSD are you really regretting your decision?

Davis peeps, how is the new curriculum looking?

I have learned SO MUCH in the 4 rotations I have done so far, (diagnostic medicine, ultrasound, anesthesiology, and shelter medicine). I even neutered a cat today on my shelter med rotation. Next week I am on a farm rotation, where I will be wrangling sheep and drawing blood from pigs, among many other things. I also have a dentistry rotation, a surgical skills rotation, and a wildlife and exotic medicine rotation. I can already tell how much more relevant all of the classwork will be when it comes to it, (I think I've said this before), but I really think this is a brilliant way to teach us.

I also think that because we all get shuffled around each week it really brings our class together because we meet many more of our classmates than we would just being in classrooms together.

We have online modules to complete while we are doing our rotations, they are kinda extensive and test us on breed and species of every kind of animal we may come across, medical terminology, and drug calculations. Our rotations each give us small assignments to do, like presenting cases or researching a topic. We've also been given our bone boxes, so I'm trying to get a head start on learning every single friggin' nook and cranny on the bones, ugh.

I work with wildlife through the wildlife clinic on campus. The clinic has only two staffers, it is otherwise run by members of the wildlife club, working in small groups who direct the cases themselves (as a group), make all of the decisions, and do all of the medical care (while being able to turn to the wildlife doc if needed). So far I have worked on a baby raccoon, a baby bunny, and several baby squirrels.

I really like living in Illinois, well particularly Urbana/Champaign, because it is a smaller city that the busy SF Bay Area which I'm used to, quieter, and more country (and I really think that suits me better). I love the thunder storms, though my dog hates them. I realize that the awful winter weather isn't here yet, but so far the weather has been great, and the humidity has been tolerable thanks to the central a/c in my house.

I also just found out that I will get IS status beginning next year because Illinois passed a same-sex civil union law in June so the school will now recognize my marriage and I will get residency through my wife. Yay!!!!

Well that's all for now, it has been good reading up on what you guys are up to.

I also just found out that I will get IS status beginning next year because Illinois passed a same-sex civil union law in June so the school will now recognize my marriage and I will get residency through my wife. Yay!!!!

Yay for in-state tuition, but even more YAY FOR EQUALITY! :D

Hey guys. I haven't been on here at all lately, and I'm just reading through this thread, amazed at how much many of you have done already, while some (EllieG) haven't started, and I'm in the middle of rotations (which are just interesting and not hard work).

I am dreading what I face in 4 weeks from now when real classes start.

LSD are you really regretting your decision?

Davis peeps, how is the new curriculum looking?

I have learned SO MUCH in the 4 rotations I have done so far, (diagnostic medicine, ultrasound, anesthesiology, and shelter medicine). I even neutered a cat today on my shelter med rotation. Next week I am on a farm rotation, where I will be wrangling sheep and drawing blood from pigs, among many other things. I also have a dentistry rotation, a surgical skills rotation, and a wildlife and exotic medicine rotation. I can already tell how much more relevant all of the classwork will be when it comes to it, (I think I've said this before), but I really think this is a brilliant way to teach us.

I also think that because we all get shuffled around each week it really brings our class together because we meet many more of our classmates than we would just being in classrooms together.

We have online modules to complete while we are doing our rotations, they are kinda extensive and test us on breed and species of every kind of animal we may come across, medical terminology, and drug calculations. Our rotations each give us small assignments to do, like presenting cases or researching a topic. We've also been given our bone boxes, so I'm trying to get a head start on learning every single friggin' nook and cranny on the bones, ugh.

I work with wildlife through the wildlife clinic on campus. The clinic has only two staffers, it is otherwise run by members of the wildlife club, working in small groups who direct the cases themselves (as a group), make all of the decisions, and do all of the medical care (while being able to turn to the wildlife doc if needed). So far I have worked on a baby raccoon, a baby bunny, and several baby squirrels.

I really like living in Illinois, well particularly Urbana/Champaign, because it is a smaller city that the busy SF Bay Area which I'm used to, quieter, and more country (and I really think that suits me better). I love the thunder storms, though my dog hates them. I realize that the awful winter weather isn't here yet, but so far the weather has been great, and the humidity has been tolerable thanks to the central a/c in my house.

Well that's all for now, it has been good reading up on what you guys are up to.

Squibby, this whole post makes my heart smile :D I'm so glad you're doing well, that you love your school, and that Illinois is recognizing your marriage-that's all so wonderful!

P.S. I work in Student Affairs at OSUCVM and there's somebody who works back there and is more behind the scenes who I just saw for the first time yesterday and she's a spitting image of you. I was like "Oh hey-" and then I caught myself lol

I am super tired, but everytime I lay down I feel wide awake again. I then think of all the stuff I could be studying, and have to get up and sit on the couch a few times! We have had 3 exams already: 1 gross anatomy and 2 physiology. I study everyday until at least 10pm except on Friday. Friday's are test days and after I do the things I can't fit in during the week like bills, dishes, laundry, and a little play time with the kids. I am scared, exhausted, and extremely happy all at the same time all the time. This is truely hard work, but I am enjoying it anyway! I should be in bed now but can't seem to wind down. Oh, and everytime I turn around the third year class is telling me that I am being babied and that I have no idea what I have coming! THANKS!!!! :eek:

Oh, and everytime I turn around the third year class is telling me that I am being babied and that I have no idea what I have coming! THANKS!!!! :eek:

AHHH i am so sick and tired of the upperclassmen telling us that 1st term is easy! We are hearing the exact same things as you and it just makes us feel worse about ourselves (since we're all spending all day every day studying!!)

AHHH i am so sick and tired of the upperclassmen telling us that 1st term is easy! We are hearing the exact same things as you and it just makes us feel worse about ourselves (since we're all spending all day every day studying!!)

Seriously, don't worry about it. as long as you keep doing everything you're expected to do at the moment, you're golden. You'll adjust as the curriculum changes. And even if it becomes more intense, you'll be more ready for it.

(tip: if you don't want to hear about how you're being babied, don't gripe to upperclassmen about how hard your life is :rolleyes:. they'll swallow you whole and spit you back out just because they've already been through what you have... and for some reason it always seems much easier in memory than it was actually. the grass is always greener on the other side.)

I haven't studied all weekend (though, to be fair, I spent ten hours at a wetlab yesterday). The first exam is in eight days. Somebody yell at me.

I haven't studied all weekend (though, to be fair, I spent ten hours at a wetlab yesterday). The first exam is in eight days. Somebody yell at me.
"YELL"

Although honestly, other than anatomy exams, 8 days is way too early to worry.

Oh and for all you Penn wes..... 1st semester is much harder than the 2nd at Penn. So if you are surviving... you should be fine.

Last edited:
Although honestly, other than anatomy exams, 8 days is way too early to worry.
My eyes actually bulged out a little when I read this. The biochemistry exam looks terrifying and I've been kinda worried about it all weekend. Is it really too early? (Not going to suddenly quit studying or anything, but I'm really curious if I've been literally making myself crazy way too soon)
crazy laughter---> :laugh:

My eyes actually bulged out a little when I read this. The biochemistry exam looks terrifying and I've been kinda worried about it all weekend. Is it really too early? (Not going to suddenly quit studying or anything, but I'm really curious if I've been literally making myself crazy way too soon)
crazy laughter---> :laugh:

It really depends on your studying style! It's one of the few multiple choice exams 1st semester, and admittedly a lot of memorization. Some people struggled with it....

I just didn't find memorizing over a week in advance much help as I forgot too much by the time the exam arrives... Ignore my advice, do what you are comfortable with and then you can adjust after you see how you are doing. Good Luck.

But I don't WANNA take my physiology exam tomorrow. Waaaahhhh.:(

Bought my class notes today and I've been looking through them all night....maybe I'm still just naive but I can't wait to start on Wednesday!!

aww physiology is my favorite! i'd happily dump anatomy, nutrition, and histology to do physio all day. good luck!!

I like cell bio better. :) I don't mind physio, I just had a crazy day with my horse shipping in from out of state and stuff going wrong and I lost about 6 hours of my day that should have been spent studying.

I guess I just don't feel super positive about it, is all. :( Other things weighing on the mind!

Ahhhh first day of vet school!! I'm so excited/nervous/eeeeee!

Today is the first day of orientation. I know all of you are super ahead of me already but that makes me even more excited for what is to come! :)

Just popping in before I hit the books for the night-first day of vet school was awesome! The teachers are so nice and HILARIOUS, and they work really hard to make sure they give some sort of clinical relevance to all the material. They genuinely seem interested in our success and made the lectures entertaining and interesting. My anatomy professor was intently watching me as I gingerly made an incision on my cadaver dog in anatomy lab and said to me "You may apply more pressure with the blade; the dog is already dead." :laugh:

I don't quite feel overwhelmed yet...four of my classes seem extremely do-able and three seem like they'll be more challenging, and the most challenging I think will be Cell Bio. We have that class right after lunch almost every day and I could barely keep my eyes open today! But all in all it was a fun day and I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Bold surgery in my group has resulted in:

Severing of the aorta. Yes. That big one.

Cutting of the musculocutaneous nerve. That was me, and really it wasn't THAT BIG OF A DEAL, GUYS but my group members brought it up whenever they could. ;)

Destruction of countless other nerves and vessels and the occasional half a muscle belly.

Bold surgery is way better! What's a few minor severed things compared to having nice clean cuts where you can clearly see the borders of everything (including whatever critical structure you just severed)? :)

Hey, EllieG, I hope you rock your first year! I hope everybody does, but since I was supposed to be there in Ohio with EG, I had to give her a special shout-out.

And as far as regretting my decision, Squibs, I guess regret wouldn't quite be the right word. I would love to be in Ohio right now, but I really don't think I could have handled the debt. I am in a massive mental struggle right now...do I choose the career that I know I would love even though it MAY be low pay, or do I choose the career that I think I could like, that would definitely pay enough to pursue what I love as a hobby? (Money can indeed buy happiness.)

I don't know the answer, and I don't know how to find out the answer. But it's my personal dilemma. Hopefully, I will work it out by next Spring!

Sounds like Illinois really suits you, Squib. I am so glad you made the right choice for yourself (even tho' I'm sure EllieG is yearning for chicken right about now).

Ahhhh first day of vet school!! I'm so excited/nervous/eeeeee!

Always forget how late some of the schools start. We're in week 5 or so...
Cutting of the musculocutaneous nerve. That was me, and really it wasn't THAT BIG OF A DEAL, GUYS but my group members brought it up whenever they could.

Yah we had lots of string on our corpse holding various bits and pieces together. "That's a string." "Nope, it's a nerve!"

(even tho' I'm sure EllieG is yearning for chicken right about now).

How did you know???? ;)

Thanks for the good sentiments, LSD, and I really hope you sort out what you want to do and what will make you happy. I know you'll be awesome no matter what you decide!

:scared: <-----me. Every time I look at anatomy. Exam in < 1 week. barf.

Cherry on top: I thought I understood physio well, and got back the first exam, did considerably less well than I expected.

Three days into vet school and I love it! Every single day I pleasantly surprise myself. I had absolutely no clue what was going on in cell bio yesterday and in undergrad that would have made me shut down and pretend it didn't exist. Then when it came time for the exam I'd be killing myself trying to cram everything into my brain. Instead, yesterday I sat down with my notes and drilled it for about an hour and a half and I ended up getting it, no problem! Which made lecture today infinitely easier and more interesting. I've been doing a good job doing notecards for all my classes (I've gone through almost 200 after just three days!), which works twofold-writing the questions and answers out in my own words helps cements the concepts in my brain, and then I instantly have a quick and easy review tool.

We got through all the extrinsic muscles of the thoracic limb today in lab. Our dog is awesome (a young, intact male Boxer) and isn't fatty or greasy or anything. So he's made dissection and identification of the structures way easier. I am pretty confident in my ability to identify and name these muscles which is super surprising and exciting to me. I've also got the scapula down but all the intricacies of the humerus, radius, and ulna are tripping me up a little bit. But I'll get there! A bunch of us are getting together at the school Sunday to study so that should help a lot.

So yeah, I'm having a great time! I'm actually looking forward to my first anatomy quiz on Monday and seeing what I actually know! Hope everyone else is having fun and not stressing too much!