Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School is going well for me. I'm happy with grades, for the most part, and certainly won't fail or D out at this rate, so that's good!

We have a couple of mules who are taken to parades and other events, and students learn to drive them if they're in mule club, so I went to that today. I totally drove them! I think the advisor, who was teaching us to drive, cut me some slack though, because he was being a little more strict with rules with people who had horse experience. He gave me some suggestions on things to fix after I finished, so I'm excited to try again!

Members don't see this ad.

Club fair today! I followed the advice of upperclassmen and signed up for every club I might be remotely interested in. The only ones I'm really excited for are Surgical Opportunities (a spay/neuter collaboration between Surgery Club and Shelter Med Club) and Emergency shadowing. Oh, and Equine shadowing at New Bolton. And pathology wetlabs. Crap, I've become a club person. Oh well, shouldn't be a problem with the *ample* amount of free time on my hands. Really. :laugh:

Me too! I'm excited about emergency, special species, and pathology!!! That was the exciting part of my day, lol. Tonight I:
-came home/ate
-studied
-did two loads of laundry
-studied
-vacuumed
-paid my comcast bill
-studied
-cleaned the bathroom and kitchen (kinda)
-am still studying
Groan. I hate biochem.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I'm excited about emergency, special species, and pathology!!! That was the exciting part of my day, lol. Tonight I:
-came home/ate
-studied
-did two loads of laundry
-studied
-vacuumed
-paid my comcast bill
-studied
-cleaned the bathroom and kitchen (kinda)
-am still studying
Groan. I hate biochem.:sleep:

Kudos for being *much* more productive than me. I came home, ate junk food, procrastinated, and studied biochem. I've had a hate-hate relationship with that class since undergrad and it's not getting better.

So, TCA Cycle . . . we meet again . . .

:bang::diebanana:+pissed+

Test #2 - Done! and definitely better prepared for it than the last one. :D

Unfortunately, the rest of the weekend will be spent on pharmacology since I ignored it all week while preparing for this one.....hmmm....yay for re-listening to podcasts of lectures that don't make ANY sense!! ew.

Kudos for being *much* more productive than me. I came home, ate junk food, procrastinated, and studied biochem. I've had a hate-hate relationship with that class since undergrad and it's not getting better.

ooo so glad we don't have to take biochem again. i can live with it popping up here and there but no thanks for a repeat! i did not envy the med students studying biochem in a review session next to mine yesterday (though the guy/girl ratio had me laughing-theirs was about 50/50 ours is 1 guy to 13 girls haha)

That list makes me look better than I actually am. We're probably in about the same place study-wise since I read this stuff and instantly forget it....

Up at 6:45am on a Saturday morning for my first clinic shift..apparently we're not expected to sleep or get weekends off?

Bummer. Our third physio instructor explicitly said the TCA cycle was more of an undergrad hazing than something valuable in vet school.

A vet I shadowed once asked me if I knew the TCA cycle and raised his eyebrows very high when I said I did (just had it on a microbio exam), and proceeded to quiz me on it.

What a meanie.

First anatomy quiz today and I did well :) Phew!

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't school like just start for you guys?

Yep! The quiz was literally on 3 days' worth of material haha. I really like the way the class is set up; we have a 6-question quiz every Monday using those TurningPoint clickers (except for this coming Monday, which is a larger, 15 pt, written quiz). This helps keep us on top of the material and make sure we're on the right track with our studying. Then we have 2 non-cumulative midterms and a cumulative final.

Yep! The quiz was literally on 3 days' worth of material haha. I really like the way the class is set up; we have a 6-question quiz every Monday using those TurningPoint clickers (except for this coming Monday, which is a larger, 15 pt, written quiz). This helps keep us on top of the material and make sure we're on the right track with our studying. Then we have 2 non-cumulative midterms and a cumulative final.

I envy you.

Nice! We had weekly quizzes for histo and micro, and immuno, and neuro like that, and it was really helpful for procrastinators like me...

midterms are all next week for us, ugh. not looking forward to them! i am looking forward to the 3 week break from exams that we have afterwards though. migraines, exhaustion, lack of sleep, stress-yeah fun times. i still can't believe that the OSU just started classes though and we're halfway through. crazy!

midterms are all next week for us, ugh. not looking forward to them! i am looking forward to the 3 week break from exams that we have afterwards though. migraines, exhaustion, lack of sleep, stress-yeah fun times. i still can't believe that the OSU just started classes though and we're halfway through. crazy!

Haha and I can't believe I've only been in class for a week and a half. It seems like I've been in school for months, that's just how much they cram into each day. We finish up the thoracic limb on Monday with the blood vessels, and then Wednesday start the thorax. We have our written anatomy quiz on Monday, which is also when we have a small professional development assignment due. Then Tuesday our first epidemiology project is due. Good times.

Vet school has really turned my school week into a six-day ordeal. I typically work like normal all week until Friday, when I just pass out after school till whenever I wake up. Then I study all night, pass out, wake up whenever I want on Saturday and spend most of Saturday goofing off, maybe a little studying. Then Sunday I'm back at it again. This Sunday starts the anatomy tutoring session. A group of 2nd and 3rd year students who got A's in anatomy form a team of tutors who hold 2 hour sessions a couple times a week, and anyone who wants to go can. This Sunday I will be at anatomy tutoring from 11-1, then meeting with my anatomy group to do our professional development assignment till 1:30, then meeting with my epi group to do our project until whenever we get that done, then studying my butt off for Monday's anatomy quiz. So Sunday might as well just be another school day!

Oh well, I'm still loving it. I'd love it a little more if I didn't have the plague right now, but I'm popping lots of DayQuil and drinking lots of coffee so I think I'll be alright!

Now, about that passing out...I do believe I'll go do that now!

Amen, brutha. We are into the heart now (which is cool except for the equations!) but still have some shreds of the autonomic nervous system on the next exam. For a micro major, I sure do find cell transporters and MAP kinase painfully boring. Hmm.

\ For a micro major, I sure do find cell transporters and MAP kinase painfully boring. Hmm.

Shouldn't those be esp interesting for a micro major? I mean... when you study only unicellular orgs, you can't really help study the contents of the individual cells, no? I feel bad for like the ecology people.

Thought I'd rub it in though... at CSU there was no such thing as a physiological chemistry or biochem course in the first-year curriculum. Closest thing was nutrition and metabolism... which wasn't worth much and everything was open book. Like, we never had to memorize metabolic pathways or anything. If we were learning keto-acidosis or something, we just looked at particular parts of pathways and it was just good enough to understand what was going on. Any cell signaling, if necessary, was taught when there was one important to a physiologic system that we were learning in physiology class. Very low key. heh heh heh

Midterms start on the 12th for us and span over two weeks worth of time. My boyfriend comes to visit (!!!) next weekend so I'm going to be studying like crazy this weekend and next week so I don't have to do much while he's here.

Midterms start on the 12th for us and span over two weeks worth of time. My boyfriend comes to visit (!!!) next weekend so I'm going to be studying like crazy this weekend and next week so I don't have to do much while he's here.

how do midterms work at other schools? we have the whole week off (no classes) next week and one exam scheduled for mon, tues, wed, and fri. and when we had our nutrition midterm last monday, we also had no class that day.

how do midterms work at other schools? we have the whole week off (no classes) next week and one exam scheduled for mon, tues, wed, and fri. and when we had our nutrition midterm last monday, we also had no class that day.

We have midterms interspersed with regular classes. We start Oct 12 have one the 17th, 19th, 21st, 24th, 27th and 28th. All while still taking our normal schedule, no time off :thumbdown:

Yep, our midterms are pretty random too. We have our first on a week from Wednesday, on Oct. 12. Cell bio. From then we have midterms Oct. 17, Oct. 25, Nov. 1, Nov. 3, Nov. 8, and Nov. 14. Finals week is Dec. 5-8 with one exam each day except for the 8th which has 2 exams.

It would be kind of nice to have the whole day off for exams-all of ours we have class in the morning and then the exam after lunch. Will be pretty hard to focus on class in the morning with an exam looming over our heads!

Since classes are so random over the semester... (like, we're done with one, at least 2-4 haven't started, etc.) I don't think we really have a distinct 'midterm' time. The full-semester classes all have tests at roughly the same times, but....

We're in the middle of our first major batch of tests now (anat, clinical skills, radiology, histo, biochem), but I think it's basically just constant after this.

It's safe to say that we have an exam every week. None of our classes (other than radiology which goes for the full year) last for the entire semester so we're always having midterms or finals. This Monday we have our final exam for Molecular Biology. Next Monday we have our midterm exam for Embryology. Some classes like Histology only had a final exam (we took than 2 Wednesdays ago) so we're completely done with that class now.

We do have a few "hell weeks" sprinkled in though. In November we have three finals in the same week and apparently there are more "hell weeks" like that in second semester.

It's safe to say that we have an exam every week. None of our classes (other than radiology which goes for the full year) last for the entire semester so we're always having midterms or finals. This Monday we have our final exam for Molecular Biology. Next Monday we have our midterm exam for Embryology. Some classes like Histology only had a final exam (we took than 2 Wednesdays ago) so we're completely done with that class now.

We do have a few "hell weeks" sprinkled in though. In November we have three finals in the same week and apparently there are more "hell weeks" like that in second semester.

Well, we may have our Molecular final on Monday. It's up in the air as to when it will actually take place. I'm hoping it's not a "Surpise! You better run back to the testing room right now!" situation Monday afternoon.

Well, we may have our Molecular final on Monday. It's up in the air as to when it will actually take place. I'm hoping it's not a "Surpise! You better run back to the testing room right now!" situation Monday afternoon.

Yeah...I'm really hoping it's on Tuesday. I could use an extra day to study! I have this fear that it'll be crazy early Monday morning or something ridiculous like that though.

interesting. we have an exam (or 2) every week basically too and the 1 credit classes start and stop throughout the semester here too. its just our 4 main classes having midterms this week (and 1 of the 1 credit classes has a final). we dont get class off for every exam either, just the midterms and finals (which are weighted more heavily)

We have midterms interspersed with regular classes. We start Oct 12 have one the 17th, 19th, 21st, 24th, 27th and 28th. All while still taking our normal schedule, no time off :thumbdown:

Don't remind me. Those two weeks are going to suck. At least the worst ones (IMO) are both after weekends (anatomy and physiology).

We have 1-2 exams per week. Depending on how you define them (our microanatomy exams have a written exam day, and a pratical day, so two days of one subject test), I guess.

It's like low level pain all the time, instead of periods of intense misery followed by relief. I like it this way. :) I'm a tortoise, not a hare.

Six weeks down! I am really lovin' this. It is ALOT of work, but putting the time in is definately worth the positive results I am getting on my exams. Ten weeks left of this semester...It's gonna FLY by!:D

Someone remind me why I'm doing this, again? Embryology is really ... really ... getting me down. And it's somewhere around a third of our anatomy test tomorrow.

Sigh.

Wahhhhhhh anatomy quiz tomorrowwww. I know I shouldn't complain seeing that some of you have exams tomorrow and whatnot but...wahhhhh! I have zero problems identifying muscles on my dog, that's no problem...but that's also not going to be on the quiz, heh. Le sigh. Origins, insertions, innervations, actions, as well as any miscellaneous stuff on bones, joints, and nerves...tis what my night consists of!

For actions, I did the best when I grouped the flexors and extensors of a specific joint together and came up with a mnemonic to remember them. Especially so for the pelvic limb. As for nerves, well, we're just starting that - we didn't do them at the same time as muscles. Wonder if that makes it easier or harder?

Someone remind me why I'm doing this, again? Embryology is really ... really ... getting me down. And it's somewhere around a third of our anatomy test tomorrow.

Sigh.

I know how you feel. Finally finished the foundations pharmacology part we were in and I'm wishing I could just push it off a cliff.

We can totally do this, though. We've got it. Mostly. Also, in the great words of Hot Chelle Rae, "I don’t know if I’ll make it but watch how good I’ll fake it!"

;)

As for nerves, well, we're just starting that - we didn't do them at the same time as muscles. Wonder if that makes it easier or harder?

harder in that by the time you start nerves again, you've forgotten half your muscles. easier in that by learning it again, you'll prob remember better.

(not that it matters much anyway, cause you'll forget most of it... and have to relearn the important ones during neuro again)

Sigh.

at least they give you very interesting mental images (dunno why some of those names have to be so damn long and confusing tho).

Sigh.

ophh totally feel your pain, its a third of my histo exam tomorrow. the big picture of each section is interesting. the tiny details are insanely annoying:mad:

I think I've had just about all the anatomy I can stomach for one night. I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of this stuff. We'll see when I wake up if it's stuck at all! For now I'm just going to sleep on it; I'll wake up and go over it a few more times in the morning (I always show up at school about an hour early anyway to get a head start on the day) and then hold my breath and take the quiz at 9. Seriously, I don't think I've ever studied so much for a 15-pt quiz in my life. I want to get the little stuff right, I suppose, so I at least have a fighting chance if I manage to blow any of the big stuff!

Sigh.

Yeah, Dev Bio feels a lot like hazing. I'm having trouble convincing myself to care that, for instance, the product of the W locus is c-kit. Bah, I've got a whole ten hours till the exam . . .

Yeah, Dev Bio feels a lot like hazing. I'm having trouble convincing myself to care that, for instance, the product of the W locus is c-kit. Bah, I've got a whole ten hours till the exam . . .

Oh just wait until the fetal pig :smuggrin:

That's very reassuring. What would I do without you?
Don't worry... Everyone has different likes/dislikes. Personally, I enjoyed the fetal pig sections once I actually studied for a little while. It was quite manageable (unlike anatomy!). I agree with you though, material for the 1st dev bio test was not enjoyable (and hardly seemed relevant).

But I don't wanna have 1-3 tests per week until Thanksgiving! I don't want to have back-to-back exams this week! I don't want to do 2 physiology labs this week! I don't want to do quizzes!

*rolls on floor and cries*

But I don't wanna have 1-3 tests per week until Thanksgiving! I don't want to have back-to-back exams this week! I don't want to do 2 physiology labs this week! I don't want to do quizzes!

*rolls on floor and cries*

I feel the same way!