Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I passed my anatomy exams. Cool.

Members don't see this ad.

Done with Day 2 of orientation! Yesterday was fun; it was busy but we learned a lot and did some cheesy but relevant team-building exercises. Today was the convocation ceremony which was really nice. My mom, dad, girlfriend, grandma, and grandpa came so it was great to share the day with them. I also met Jakesmom today, which was fun! We are close enough in the alphabet that we might be anatomy partners depending on how the numbers fall. Overall a good time! Last day of Orientation is Monday, then a week and a half till classes start on the 21st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha nice video!

First anatomy exam is done. Now I'm eating candy from my big sib. She went so far as to ask my SO what my favorite candy is.

1st week is officially over! I only had 2 days of classes (we started yesterday) but I'm glad that classes are underway since orientation was getting boring (lots of speeches). Hating histology already but there's so much free food/booze, I'm loving it.

OVC frat party tonight :)

Two weeks down at AVC. Immunology is driving me nuts. The material isn't hard, but the professor just flies through his slides. Which would be overwhelming, until you realize that there's always 4 slides that seem to have the exact same information. But they aren't in a row. So the whole lecture just feels REALLY disorganized.

Physiology is similar. The professor is really cool, and I like him, but his lectures are all over the place. For both classes, I just prefer to read the textbook.

ETA: Someone took my seat yesterday. The same seat I've been using for two weeks. I had to sit at the back at the make-shift desks (our class is larger than the room was originally designed to accomodate). I was not impressed!

Last edited:
.....Last day of Orientation is Monday, then a week and a half till classes start on the 21st.

:bang:

Why am I not there with you, EllieG? What the hell was I thinking? I miss everybody. Glad to hear Squibs is rockin' it in Illinois.

We had our first test today. Mostly cell bio type stuff and actually really straight forward. I didn't do as well as I thought I would - I really studied incorrectly. :( Bah humbug.

I'm feeling discouraged. I am trying to bring myself up by at least being happy that I UNDERSTOOD the material. I just didn't put it to memory in a beneficial way. At least it motivated me to keep studying this weekend!

Last edited:
we went to the simulation lab today and learned how to properly auscultate heart and lung sounds! and then we walked along the beach and some of my friends jumped off a cliff!

:bang:

Why am I not there with you, EllieG? What the hell was I thinking? I miss everybody. Glad to hear Squibs is rockin' it in Illinois.

Aw LSD!!!! We've missed you too, and I too wish you were there with us today! How have things been for you?

We had our first test today. Mostly cell bio type stuff and actually really straight forward. I didn't do as well as I thought I would - I really studied incorrectly. :( Bah humbug.

I'm feeling discouraged. I am trying to bring myself up by at least being happy that I UNDERSTOOD the material. I just didn't put it to memory in a beneficial way. At least it motivated me to keep studying this weekend!

Don't be discouraged. That is fairly common. My first fill in the blank test was a total shocker for me, but I did better the 2nd time around. Learning and memorizing are very different skills.

I'm actually really liking anatomy. The amount of information is utterly terrifying but my lab group is awesome and I feel best when I'm actually doing something, not just sitting there in Biochem wondering why I ever thought I could handle this. Histo kind of gives me a headache though. I've adjusted my scope and everything, but I come out feeling a little motion sick, weirdly enough.
Also, feeling incredibly lucky to have avoided all the flooding that is plaguing my hometown. They've evacuated some of my family since the Susquehanna was supposed to crest today. My dad was just glad that everything in our basement was already ruined by Irene so more water really doesn't matter much at this point :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The seat stealer video is great, but I just about spat my drink all over my laptop after clicking on the link at the top right, "Shake Weight for Men VMD". :)

Histo kind of gives me a headache though. I've adjusted my scope and everything, but I come out feeling a little motion sick, weirdly enough.

I've been feeling sick in there, too. I've never felt like that after microscopy before (and I did a *lot* in undergrad), so I put it down to it being late in the day and my blood sugar not being happy with me. Now I'm wondering if they've got some problems with fumes/the second years are secretly poisoning us/someone put some bad juju on it. :laugh:

I've been feeling sick in there, too. I've never felt like that after microscopy before (and I did a *lot* in undergrad), so I put it down to it being late in the day and my blood sugar not being happy with me. Now I'm wondering if they've got some problems with fumes/the second years are secretly poisoning us/someone put some bad juju on it. :laugh:

Our professors specifically said, several times (makes me wonder if they had some bad experiences?) that it's totally normal to feel motion sick during histology, and if you start to feel off, to just take a lot of breaks from the scope. They also said we'd eventually get used to it. I haven't had too much of a problem, but then again I make sure to take lots of breaks to avoid it.

Our professors specifically said, several times (makes me wonder if they had some bad experiences?) that it's totally normal to feel motion sick during histology, and if you start to feel off, to just take a lot of breaks from the scope. They also said we'd eventually get used to it. I haven't had too much of a problem, but then again I make sure to take lots of breaks to avoid it.

Our histo professor said the same thing. We use the dual headed microscopes and he said that if you're not the "driver," it can throw you off and make you feel a little motion sick if the screen moves and you're not expecting it too.

Well, I survived the first "hell week" of vet school. A bacT quiz on Tuesday, anatomy practical on Wednesday, and a Physio exam on Thursday. I don't know how I did on them, but it's over and I now know how to better study for next time. Overall though, I'm really enjoying vet school. It's rough and butt-kicking and time-consuming, but I still love it :)

I've heard that taking dramamine before lab can help if you get motion sickness from microscopes (I haven't tried it, but might be worth a try).

My second year buddy just gave me my buddy binder. Except it's more of a buddy box, because it's three MASSIVE binders, containing more or less all her notes from last year.

I may need to bake her cookies some time this week.

Histology tutorial was a huge help this morning. I had been having very tiny conniption fits because sometimes in lab, I knew what I was looking for, I just couldn't find any on the damn slide. During tutorial, I asked the prof to find an intercalated disc and point it out to me. He couldn't find one either. Though on the online version of that slide, it's clear as day. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Our histo professor said the same thing. We use the dual headed microscopes and he said that if you're not the "driver," it can throw you off and make you feel a little motion sick if the screen moves and you're not expecting it too.

Well, I survived the first "hell week" of vet school. A bacT quiz on Tuesday, anatomy practical on Wednesday, and a Physio exam on Thursday. I don't know how I did on them, but it's over and I now know how to better study for next time. Overall though, I'm really enjoying vet school. It's rough and butt-kicking and time-consuming, but I still love it :)

And you have some asskicking lab partners for anatomy.

Learning and memorizing are very different skills.

YES! And it's really annoying when you emphasize on the learning and get tested on the memorizing... esp when it's on random facts that you KNOW that no clinician in the world has memorized.

heylodeb, seriously, don't worry about it too much. It's not going to hinder your ability to become a good clinician. Sure, there are things that all vets should have memorized, but for a lot of things, you can always look up facts if you understand the material.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement! I guess I just feel dumb because most of the class seemed so relieved to do well.

I know I CAN memorize. I kicked butt in my undergrad anatomy (after failing the first test...hmm...there seems to be a pattern here)

My biggest problem was actually really stupid - I somehow missed the anouncement that this test wasn't covering the material from Thursday. (makes sense since the test was on Friday morning) but I spent most of my thursday evening reviewing the material from those lectures and then working on a 2 page chem practice sheet. Neither were on the exam so uhh...yeah. There's that.

It's not the end of the world - just would have been a boost of confidence to at least do well on the first one!

YES! And it's really annoying when you emphasize on the learning and get tested on the memorizing... esp when it's on random facts that you KNOW that no clinician in the world has memorized.

heylodeb, seriously, don't worry about it too much. It's not going to hinder your ability to become a good clinician. Sure, there are things that all vets should have memorized, but for a lot of things, you can always look up facts if you understand the material.

Don't be discouraged. That is fairly common. My first fill in the blank test was a total shocker for me, but I did better the 2nd time around. Learning and memorizing are very different skills.

It's not the end of the world - just would have been a boost of confidence to at least do well on the first one!

Sometimes a boost of confidence early on makes people complacent . . . not saying you would have that reaction . . . but look at this as your chance for redemption, and you'll probably end up doing better on the next exam than many of your classmates who now feel they have things "in the bag."

And since it's not a competition and the block is true pass/fail, it doesn't actually matter at all how you do relative to your classmates for anything as long as you pass so don't worry about how they did. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that we are starting our 4th week already and have our first exam on Thursday. Going to vet school feels like being back in high school, except that there's a lot more information and the days are longer. We have lockers (which mine stinks most of the way because of my coveralls and formaldehyde covered smocks in there.) I put one of those cheap air fresheners in there. I usually spend my lunch with classmates or going to my old work place that has a lounge, free soda, couches, and a huge tv. It's a nice break for a good hour before heading back to class. My favorite class so far is probably anatomy, it's amazing how much for fun it is and how much more you retain when you get to see the muscles and bones right in front of you.

I'm still getting a hang of the whole studying thing, but I'm trying different techniques. We're always constantly reminded that we are learning for our career and not for the first exam so I try to look at the overall picture. We've had some sheep and dog restraint labs which have been a lot of fun. School gets stressful (already had 1 breakdown) but I love it. It's a love/hate relationship but I'm just taking it in one step at a time.

Like Boilercowgrl, I can't believe it's week 4. I feel like I've been here for longer but at the same time feel like I just started. I can't really explain it. Had one quiz, and one midterm so far. First anatomy exam is this Wednesday and my eye twitches every time I try to go through the info...that pretty much sums it up, I think. Next week we have a final which is just crazy! So far no major freak outs, just some muscle twitching and exhaustion. Goooood times.

We're starting week 12 over here at Mississippi State! We have a couple of classes in quarters and a couple that go the whole semester. Last week I took my first two FINALS (!!), ending our two first quarter classes. We're starting our two new classes tomorrow and the week after. CRAZY! Three months seems like ages ago.....but it still also feels like we just started, so I know what you mean Bearby. Finally feel like I'm not an outsider in the vet school!

It's so weird that most everyone else is just starting! Let me tell you in advance....anatomy of the skull...OMG.

I spent most of my summer learning how to prepare slides and looking at teeny tiny wiggly things under dissecting scopes and compound microscopes. Does that mean I am a step ahead of the game? :laugh:.

Anatomy practical went much better than I expected, so that's awesome!

I'm frustrated about histology though. We have 2 hours twice a week in lab, and that's more than enough time to get through the slides for that day, but then they get irritated if we leave when we're done (i.e. early). I guess I'm going to start bringing other work to do to make some time pass on by...

Anatomy practical went much better than I expected, so that's awesome!

I'm frustrated about histology though. We have 2 hours twice a week in lab, and that's more than enough time to get through the slides for that day, but then they get irritated if we leave when we're done (i.e. early). I guess I'm going to start bringing other work to do to make some time pass on by...

Yeah dude, I skipped out early, too. I wanted to go study histo... but I can't study in there with everyone chattering, and I have a hard time seeing the screens because they're so far away, so I went home to study.

I'll just bust out my own laptop next time and see which makes them crankier.

Aw LSD!!!! We've missed you too, and I too wish you were there with us today! How have things been for you?

Things have been really rough...in so many areas. I won't tie up the forum with non-vet-related woes, but I will say I have pretty much ruled out med school due to the # of years of training/debt accumulation. I have been focusing on preparing for PA applications next year (gotta acquire patient contact hours first), but it has occurred to me that next June I'll have regained my NC residency, and NC's vet school tuition is approx the same as many of the 2 year PA programs. And apparently NC vet school's loan forgiveness program is actually funded, which would take care of a huge chunk of the debt. I still love farm animals more than I like most people. Wondering if I oughta apply to NC State as well as the PA programs next year, and see what happens. This whole career thing is driving me insane. I need some serious therapy! :eek:

My spirit was definitely straining to join y'all in Columbus as I was wiping an old lady's butt today en route to my CNA certification.

Last edited:
Anybody know when nap time is? 'cuz I can't find it in my schedule anywhere?? :rolleyes:

Welp, Ohio State is done with Orientation as of today! It was a good day and lunch was delicious! As for me, I'm finally starting to make some friends and feel a little less like an outsider, which is awesome. We've still got 9 days until school starts, during which time we're supposed to socialize and hang out with each other, which for me means working 11-5 in Student Affairs every day :D So besides that, I'm going to be busy getting all my ducks in a row with regards to getting a financial spreadsheet set up, making sure I'm at least a little familiar with the beginnings of anatomy, grocery shopping, etc. I look forward to telling you guys all about Ohio State once we get going!

making sure I'm at least a little familiar with the beginnings of anatomy

No. No no no no! You're doing it wrong. Just ignore it. Then let it hit you like a freight train to the face. Enjoy it. Savor the feeling. Wallow in the misery of not being able to pronounce "nuchal" or any other word you are expected to know that has never been vocalized to you.

Yes, call it the "ole-crannon" tuber until some smartass chick with pink hair informs you that it's actually "oh-leh-cruh-non" while rolling her eyes.

I need to be nicer to my classmates. :hungover:

No. No no no no! You're doing it wrong. Just ignore it. Then let it hit you like a freight train to the face. Enjoy it. Savor the feeling. Wallow in the misery of not being able to pronounce "nuchal" or any other word you are expected to know that has never been vocalized to you.

You'll have to take that one up with my anatomy professor, who has already posted online material for us to get started on, complete with links to audio clips of correct pronunciations! :p

:thumbup: I actually cracked up when I read this :laugh:

Wondering if I oughta apply to NC State as well as the PA programs next year, and see what happens.

My spirit was definitely straining to join y'all in Columbus as I was wiping an old lady's butt today en route to my CNA certification.

LSD - I'm not one to talk given that I almost jumped ship myself, so feel free to give me a virtual smack if you'd like. But... It's obvious to me where you belong - with the critters. YES, APPLY to NC State!! I realize that the debt that can be incurred from a vet education is hair-raising (hence why I chose against applying to a couple of really great programs); but in the end it's only money. I would rather be on the poor side and get up every day knowing that I'm going to love going to work rather than having plenty of dough and be miserable wondering 'what if' for the rest of my life.

Now, I'm about to drip with schmaltz here, but I fully believe in this: Just follow your heart - you'll end up where you belong, promise!

What happened to the omnotransversarius?

The "oh no"transversarius, you mean!?! Or the "homo"transversarius?

Heard both of those. Second one was a joke... I think.

Hahah yeah, I heard the second one, but not the "oh no". I'm sure we'll see more great names as we go along!

Our anatomy professor has the funniest pronunciations. Example: Joog-ular

I usually just pronounce things how they're spelled (even if it's ridiculous) so I can remember spelling for the practical :rolleyes:

The best muscle to listen to people try to pronounce: iliopsoas

ahhhh the hump muscle. It was always my favorite. That and the prude ligament (ligament of the femoral head).

Posted by one of my classmates on FB:

Contrary to popular belief, the omotransversarius is not a gay dinosaur.

:laugh: