Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am super excited. Buying everything for my apartment and school has been fun. I can't wait to get started. Only 35 more days of work :thumbup:

:thumbup: Agreed! I'm soooo excited to get started with school. I just bought my textbooks too! Now only a week and half left of work! Yay!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Please forgive me, a 2017 applicant, for jumping into the 2016 party, but I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Does anyone know if the schools (Kansas in particular) are willing to make an exception to the cut off date for pre-reqs? It looks like KSU wants all of the pre-reqs taken within 6 years of enrollment, and I took gen bio & chem in 2006/2007. KSU is probably my first choice, so I'm hoping there's some way around this (other than re-taking those classes). Does anyone know? Or have advice about how to ask? I sincerely had a physical medical problem that prevented me from doing any school/work for a year, but I don't want to play the "I was seriously injured" card if I don't have to. Thanks for any thoughts!

wrong thread... try the "2017 applicants" thread. Call admissions and ask if they make any exceptions and explain your predicament if they say yes. It's not a complicated question. Or write an e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying the 2016 thread as I figured you all had just gone through the process and might have more knowledge than others applying this year. Sorry.

We check in on the 2017 thread and help you guys out as best we can :thumbup:. Some of the 2017ers have been through the application process before too, so they can help out as well.

Class of 2016 slipped to the second page, we can't let that happen :p. I have just 45 days left til I move and starting the scramble of getting everything done before I move. Went through all my old notebooks from class and gathered up those I wanna take with me and am working on my records for all the wildlife I took in this year, that's gonna take some serious time and I have to get it done before I move since I need to send the report at the end of the year and I know I won't have time once school starts. How's everyone else doing?

Oh and we got our booklist for first semester the other day and I ordered all the required texts on amazon already :D. Super excited!

Class of 2016 slipped to the second page, we can't let that happen :p. I have just 45 days left til I move and starting the scramble of getting everything done before I move. Went through all my old notebooks from class and gathered up those I wanna take with me and am working on my records for all the wildlife I took in this year, that's gonna take some serious time and I have to get it done before I move since I need to send the report at the end of the year and I know I won't have time once school starts. How's everyone else doing?

Oh and we got our booklist for first semester the other day and I ordered all the required texts on amazon already :D. Super excited!

Envious. I have yet to find a place to live :scared: I have it narrowed to to 2 places. One place I would have a roommate, but have a backyard. The other place live by myself (which would be A-mazing!), but it would be substantially more expensive like 9K more a year expensive.

Oh decisions.

Envious. I have yet to find a place to live :scared: I have it narrowed to to 2 places. One place I would have a roommate, but have a backyard. The other place live by myself (which would be A-mazing!), but it would be substantially more expensive like 9K more a year expensive.

Oh decisions.

Haha. I'm having similar issues with housing. Part of me wants to live closer to the vet school but I just had someone contact me about needing a 3rd person for their 3 br apartment that is like a 20 minute walk from the vet school. And it's only $450 a month. Which is like a steal in Philly. Plus it includes wifi, a gym membership and there are no deposits required for pets. It was on my list of places I was considering but I haven't actually seen it yet. Trying to go next weekend since I have off. I just want to know where I'm living so I can start getting my stuff together.

I knew there was no way I'd be happy staying with someone I don't know, so it was a pretty easy decision for me, other than almost ending up in a cheap apartment in the bad part of town :(. I'm gonna end up spending probably an extra $3,000 a year in rent and will have a smaller space, but it will be well worth it. If it were an extra $9,000 :eek: I'd have to think a lot harder about the decision. What size apartment are you looking to rent by yourself, a 1 bedroom? Mine is a studio that is only 365 square feet, but I don't have to share any of it.

I've looked at apartments to share and there's one I'd consider. It had the bedrooms with their own bathrooms attached. If I were living with someone else, I'd want my own space to retreat to and I wouldn't share a bathroom with someone else, did that once, just for a weekend at a conference and OMG all the stuff the person had in there, there was like no counter space left!

Good luck in your decision making. When do classes start in Illinois?

I knew there was no way I'd be happy staying with someone I don't know, so it was a pretty easy decision for me, other than almost ending up in a cheap apartment in the bad part of town :(. I'm gonna end up spending probably an extra $3,000 a year in rent and will have a smaller space, but it will be well worth it. If it were an extra $9,000 :eek: I'd have to think a lot harder about the decision. What size apartment are you looking to rent by yourself, a 1 bedroom? Mine is a studio that is only 365 square feet, but I don't have to share any of it.

I've looked at apartments to share and there's one I'd consider. It had the bedrooms with their own bathrooms attached. If I were living with someone else, I'd want my own space to retreat to and I wouldn't share a bathroom with someone else, did that once, just for a weekend at a conference and OMG all the stuff the person had in there, there was like no counter space left!

Good luck in your decision making. When do classes start in Illinois?

I agree!

I was looking at apartments with some of my future classmates and they all looked at me like I was insane when I said that I definitely wanted my own bathroom. I didn't think that request would be uncommon for adults :confused:.

I shared a 12 x 12 dorm room with a roommate for the 3 years of college... and then hostel rooms for the last year. SO happy to have my own space now!!!

Anyway, I gave in and just signed for a studio by myself. Way more expensive, but I LOVE the apartment. I am considering moving into a cheaper & smaller apartment down the hall.... will see what my bank account looks like mid-year....

I'd love to have my own bathroom, but it honestly isn't that big of an issue to me. I had 3 other roommates during my sophomore and senior year of college and we only had 1 bathroom. And when I was abroad I had 5 other roommates with two bathrooms (although they split the shower and toilet into two rooms) and I rarely had any sort of major issue. And my house currently only has two and my mom, sister and I all share the one, so I guess I'm just used to it.

Classes start Auguest 27th. I know the 9k difference is frightening for me, which makes me lean to sucking it up and living with someone. The apartment I was looking at was a 1 bedroom. I was wanting a W/D in the apartment because I hate wasting time in the laundry mate etc. I looked at a couple studios and they had a shared W/D for the building, but I could not see 1 W/D unit for a whole building going over very well. So thats why I was going for the more expensive 1 bedroom...

Members don't see this ad :)
Classes start Auguest 27th. I know the 9k difference is frightening for me, which makes me lean to sucking it up and living with someone. The apartment I was looking at was a 1 bedroom. I was wanting a W/D in the apartment because I hate wasting time in the laundry mate etc. I looked at a couple studios and they had a shared W/D for the building, but I could not see 1 W/D unit for a whole building going over very well. So thats why I was going for the more expensive 1 bedroom...

If it makes you feel any better, the past year I've lived in a unit with 2 W/D units for about 25 people (estimate) and I never ran into any issues with it.

Good luck with everything, everyone. <3 We're almost there! :love:

I am having the most difficult time formulating the right words for the statement about my white-coat presenter!!! ugh, due this Friday....brain won't work. It shouldn't be this hard!!! :bang:

Finally going to look at our "pre-anatomy" course work this week! :scared:

I am beyond stressed right now and there is no end in sight until August 12th. Orientation is August 13th :annoyed:

Classes for us start August 20th. I wish I had the extra week that some of you do lol.

When does everyone else start?

Does everyone do a week of orientation like UF? (I believe we do a week long leadership retreat thing).

I really wish I was done with these classes so I could just focus on everything else. My last day of work is July 13th, and I move July 23rd, with three exams to take in between, a party to cater for, packing, etc. Kill me now :bang:

However, a huge stress of mine (the BF and I) has been completely lifted. He has completely shifted his priorities over the past 5 months and it has been amazing. He finally realizes what an arse he was being and things have been incredible. Couldn't be happier. He just got an amazing job and offered to pay for rent and some living expenses while I'm in school so "WE" have less debt when I come out.... :idea:
It feels nice to have him back :D and be in love again :biglove:

Last edited:
I am beyond stressed right now and there is no end in sight until August 12th. Orientation is August 13th :annoyed:

Classes for us start August 20th. I wish I had the extra week that some of you do lol.

When does everyone else start?

Does everyone do a week of orientation like UF? (I believe we do a week long leadership retreat thing).

I really wish I was done with these classes so I could just focus on everything else. My last day of work is July 13th, and I move July 23rd, with three exams to take in between, a party to cater for, packing, etc. Kill me now :bang:

However, a huge stress of mine (the BF and I) has been completely lifted. He has completely shifted his priorities over the past 5 months and it has been amazing. He finally realizes what an arse he was being and things have been incredible. Couldn't be happier. He just got an amazing job and offered to pay for rent and some living expenses while I'm in school so "WE" have less debt when I come out.... :idea:
It feels nice to have him back :D and be in love again :biglove:

Well first I'm glad things are better with the BF Emiloo :)

Classes start August 27 but we have orientation August 21-24 or something I think, so probably moving in any time btw August 18-20. As far as I'm aware , i dont think its some leadership retreat thing? Haha.

My last day of work is July 22!!!! Kind of sad to be leaving, they're sort of my family now :( then off to Europe then school! Crazy nervous excited SCARED!!! I still have to get books and supplies and furniture for the apartment and oh yeah, figure out how to transport the cat I'm adopting who HATES traveling and gets super stressed every time. Also trying to find a dog to adopt cuz I think our family is finally ready for one after losing ours last may.

Well first I'm glad things are better with the BF Emiloo :)

Classes start August 27 but we have orientation August 21-24 or something I think, so probably moving in any time btw August 18-20. As far as I'm aware , i dont think its some leadership retreat thing? Haha.

My last day of work is July 22!!!! Kind of sad to be leaving, they're sort of my family now :( then off to Europe then school! Crazy nervous excited SCARED!!! I still have to get books and supplies and furniture for the apartment and oh yeah, figure out how to transport the cat I'm adopting who HATES traveling and gets super stressed every time. Also trying to find a dog to adopt cuz I think our family is finally ready for one after losing ours last may.

Ugh I haven't bought a THING for classes yet :smack:
Have SO much fun in Europe!!! :)

I did get my BIG finally though and we've hit it off already. :D

We are supposed to get something like a big/mentor but I haven't heard anything about that yet :/

We are supposed to get something like a big/mentor but I haven't heard anything about that yet :/

Yeah, about 30 people on our class FB page were talking about their BIGs and how they've had them for weeks, and I was so confused bc I didn't have one. And then a few hours later I got mine. :shrug:

I am having the most difficult time formulating the right words for the statement about my white-coat presenter!!! ugh, due this Friday....brain won't work. It shouldn't be this hard!!! :bang:

Finally going to look at our "pre-anatomy" course work this week! :scared:

Ugh, me too! I have no idea what to say... also gonna be starting on the intro course this week, too. Did you notice all our classes are posted to moodle?

Ugh, me too! I have no idea what to say... also gonna be starting on the intro course this week, too. Did you notice all our classes are posted to moodle?

I did not, I have to confess - I've opened it once, lasted about 5 minutes and did something else, oops. Tomorrow I am devoting all morning!!

I also thought we had another week for the statement, good thing we got that email or I would have been SOL....now to brainstorm...

p.s. Did you see we get our big sib TODAY?! Eeek!

We start on July 2! My last day at my job is the day after tomorrow (it's definitely going to be a soggy day), packing the UHaul on Friday, then I'm driving to Mississippi on Saturday. We have orientation on the 28-29th, and our first day of class is Monday the 2nd.

I think I've done all I can for now....housing, registration, ordered textbooks from Amazon/eBay, electricity and tv/internet set up....

I can't believe I'm starting vet school in a little over a week.

What about the 4th of July?! Wow did not know you started that early. Exciting though :) :)

I start August 22nd. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo excited, I can't wait. My last day of work is July 27th and I move on August 1st. I'm starting to dwindle down on creatures (although I got in 5 eyes closed bunnies yesterday) and that leaves more time to think about everything. I can't wait to get started. Only 27 more days of work and 44 days until I move. I feel like I should be doing more to prepare, but really have most stuff done. Ordered books and am starting to get them, filled out financial aid, have all my stuff just about packed up for moving, and creatures are all on target for going free before I move.

You are so lucky starting July 2nd! That is awesome. I'm just glad OSU went to semesters and we don't have to wait until the end of September to get started!

The way they tell us our mentee is to put a letter in our school mailbox so no one gets them until the start of school. Don't worry about it... there are plenty of us on here to ask if you have questions! :)

The way they tell us our mentee is to put a letter in our school mailbox so no one gets them until the start of school. Don't worry about it... there are plenty of us on here to ask if you have questions! :)

oo that's kind of fun :)

Ah thanks bunnity!! It's not so much that I have questions, just wanted to know who it is :) definitely not shy about asking questions on SDN ;)

What about the 4th of July?! Wow did not know you started that early. Exciting though :) :)

We have the 4th off. Now that's a schedule I could used to- go to class Monday & Tuesday, off Wednesday, then class Thursday & Friday, then the weekend? Hell yeah! :cool:

Ugh, Moodle. Just wait for all the "oh great, Moodle is down. Again."

I actually love moodle... :love: Was super happy when I studied in Finland and they also used it.

I did not, I have to confess - I've opened it once, lasted about 5 minutes and did something else, oops. Tomorrow I am devoting all morning!!

I also thought we had another week for the statement, good thing we got that email or I would have been SOL....now to brainstorm...

p.s. Did you see we get our big sib TODAY?! Eeek!

Got my big sib less than an hour ago! I'm being shared, haha, but yay!

Gosh you guys are making me nervous. But then I have to remember I already got housing months ago.

Orientation starts August 13th for us! Moving up the 4th. Quitting the incredibly tiring and stress related job July 22nd, enjoying turning 25 on the 28th, and quitting the relaxing job (read: why I can be on here midday) on August 3rd. Time is flyin by soooo quickly.

And I just realized I bought a ton of crap online last week. These damn sales. At least it really is stuff I need but I think I need an intervention. Or hide my debit card.

It's so close, but still soooo far! I'm so relieved that I got my housing out of the way early, but now that means I have nothing to do but sit around and wait.

Our classes start on August 27th. We technically have orientation starting the 20th, but on Monday and Tuesday there's nothing really scheduled. We have the option of buying stethoscopes and getting a school tour and then there's things we have to do those days like get our ID cards that we can get done whenever on either day. On Wednesday there's an optional leadership event that goes all day and then Thursday and Friday we have mandatory orientation.
We should be hearing back about our big sibs in July (I think).

It's good to hear things are working out with you and your BF Emiloo!

Our classes start on August 27th. We technically have orientation starting the 20th, but on Monday and Tuesday there's nothing really scheduled. We have the option of buying stethoscopes and getting a school tour and then there's things we have to do those days like get our ID cards that we can get done whenever on either day. On Wednesday there's an optional leadership event that goes all day and then Thursday and Friday we have mandatory orientation.
We should be hearing back about our big sibs in July (I think).

It's good to hear things are working out with you and your BF Emiloo!

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what our "orientation" involves. I should ask my "big" now that I have one :D. All I know is there's a pic on the UFL CVM website that has a picture from co 2015 that says "co 2015 fresh off the bus from the adventures of FOLE (Freshmen Orientation Leadership Experience)"
:confused:
One of my really great friends is a 2014er... guess I could ask her too :laugh:

People have been top secret about our orientation. All I know is some days we are inside and some days we are outside and should wear SPF and bug repellent. And our "nifty" orientation shirt EVERYDAY. Thank dog I have my own w/d

I still don't have housing. Hahaha. I'm looking at some places in Philly on Friday and feel I'm going to settle on this 3br apartment with two other girls for $450 a month. I feel like I really can't say no to that price for an apartment in Philly.

As for buying anything. I literally have bought squat. Haven't order a stethoscope, although I do have the color picked out. Anyone know if 27 inches is the standard length or is that the longer length recommended for people interested in large animal?

Also haven't bought any books, unless you want to count my anatomy coloring book my ex got me for Christmas. Trying to find where my dissection kit that I bought for a class in England is. I'd really not like to have to buy a new probe or anything like that if they already meet Penn's requirements.

It's almost JULY! And then it's ALMOST AUGUST! OMG. *Cue freak out to the extreme*

We start on August 6th. Leaving on July 17th for Scotland and arriving on July 18th. Seems so close now. I just sent out my application for my student visa...:xf: that everything gets there, is approved and gets back to me without any incidents.

I will still need to find a place to live once I get to Scotland. I already have one place to look at when I arrive and hopefully will have some more to look at before I get over there. Then it will just be choosing the place that fits me the best (and is possibly the cheapest).

I am getting so nervous and excited..

My last day at work is next Friday! Only 8 more working days! I move in July 21st, and the bf starts his new job on the 23rd :D:D:D

The days are going by so fast, but August still seem sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far away. Just over a month to go, though, not too bad.

I got my Miller's Anatomy of the Dog book and opening it up honestly didn't freak me out. We got this guys! Class of 2016 is gonna rock!

People have been top secret about our orientation. All I know is some days we are inside and some days we are outside and should wear SPF and bug repellent. And our "nifty" orientation shirt EVERYDAY. Thank dog I have my own w/d

:smuggrin: hope you aren't squeamish about touching people you just met

The days are going by so fast, but August still seem sooooooooooooooooooooooooo far away. Just over a month to go, though, not too bad.

I got my Miller's Anatomy of the Dog book and opening it up honestly didn't freak me out. We got this guys! Class of 2016 is gonna rock!

Lol, I got a Pasquini months ago and opening it up freaked me out so much that I haven't opened it since :laugh:

Hey squirrels--did you get a lenovo? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. If you did...did you get the lenovo convertible (between tablet and laptop)? I don't want a straight tablet, but I think I would consider getting a tablet that can be used as a laptop as well.

Thoughts, anyone else as well?