**class of 2016 hpsp / hscp selectees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently selected for the Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP, which is Navy only) and I couldn't be more excited.

I know there are far more HPSP applicants (all branches of service) than HSCP applicants, but I wanted to start a thread for all the military applicants/selectees this cycle.

Please list the following:

1) HPSP or HSCP
2) Branch of Service
3) Application Status: Whether "Selected", "Board Approved", "Application Submitted", or "Application in Process"
4) Prior military experience (if any)
5) Medical School Acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

1) HSCP
2) Navy
3) Selected
4) 4.5 years Naval experience (Hospital Corpsman)
5) LMU-DCOM

I was recently selected for the Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP, which is Navy only) and I couldn't be more excited.

I know there are far more HPSP applicants (all branches of service) than HSCP applicants, but I wanted to start a thread for all the military applicants/selectees this cycle.

Please list the following:

1) HPSP or HSCP
2) Branch of Service
3) Application Status: Whether "Selected", "Board Approved", "Application Submitted", or "Application in Process"
4) Prior military experience (if any)
5) Medical School Acceptance

1) hpsp
2) navy (yay!)
3) still waiting. My app was sent off late jan. hoping to hear by beginning of march. I hope I get in:xf:
4) no prior service
5)KCUMB com

Members don't see this ad :)
1) hpsp
2) navy (yay!)
3) still waiting. My app was sent off late jan. hoping to hear by beginning of march. I hope I get in:xf:
4) no prior service
5)KCUMB com

Good Luck! Maybe we will serve together in a few years!

oh okay, someone told me that it's quite competitive to get either health professions scholarship and they look at mcat/gpa etc

Umm, I don't think so. I think you just need an acceptance to a med school

Not true. For HSCP the GPA minimum is 3.0. I believe it might be the same for HPSP (although not 100% sure), and it might vary between branches. However, if you have a 3.5 or above with a 27 MCAT or above and you are categorized as "Field Select" which means you can skip the required "Doctor Interviews".

oh okay, someone told me that it's quite competitive to get either health professions scholarship and they look at mcat/gpa etc

Not true. If you are physically able to be commissioned (pass the commissioning physical), can get a security clearance (no felonies, large unpaid debt, etc.), and apply early then it is very easy to get in. However, once the slots are filled for the year then you are out of luck (kinda like rolling admissions).

Lol yeah you might be right about 3.0 gpa requirement,but he should check with recruiter. I heard that 29 or 30 mcat and 3.5 gpa means thatif you apply, you will get in (as long as physical and background check is ok)

Not true. For HSCP the GPA minimum is 3.0. I believe it might be the same for HPSP (although not 100% sure), and it might vary between branches. However, if you have a 3.5 or above with a 27 MCAT or above and you are categorized as "Field Select" which means you can skip the required "Doctor Interviews".

I believe the 3.0 is the same for HPSP as well and there is an MCAT cut off now too. Its pretty low though.

Not true. If you are physically able to be commissioned (pass the commissioning physical), can get a security clearance (no felonies, large unpaid debt, etc.), and apply early then it is very easy to get in. However, once the slots are filled for the year then you are out of luck (kinda like rolling admissions).

The level of competition for these scholarships changes year to year and varies by branch. In the past scholarships havent even been filled (during the peak of OEF/OIF) and some years they go quick. In recent years Ive been told there have been more applicants though, maybe due to the economy or maybe winding down in Iraq and Afghanistan. All applicants who meet the requirements go before a board and selections are made on a variety of factors. Applying early helps your chances but it doesn't guarantee a spot.

1) HPSP
2) Air Force
3) Selected
4) No prior service
5) Most likely attending DMU

Very excited to be accepted into the HPSP program, hope some others got the good news the other day!

1) HPSP
2) Air Force
3) Selected
4) No prior service
5) Most likely attending DMU

Very excited to be accepted into the HPSP program, hope some others got the good news the other day!

Congratulations!

1. HPSP
2. Navy
3. Selected
4. No prior military service
5. KCUMB

SO excited and ready to get next year going!! Congrats to everyone!

My application is taking FOREVER. I signed everything in January and they keep asking me for more and more stuff to sign. I am:mad: am very annoyed with this and starting to reconsider.

can somebody give me a quick overview of hscp?

My application is taking FOREVER. I signed everything in January and they keep asking me for more and more stuff to sign. I am:mad: am very annoyed with this and starting to reconsider.

can somebody give me a quick overview of hscp?

A quick overview of HSCP differences from HPSP.

HSCP - Tuition is NOT covered
HPSP - Tuition is 100% covered

HSCP - Get paid at E-6 or E-7 full active duty pay INCLUDING BAH (can amount to 70,000 to nearly 100,000 a year depending on where your school is).
HPSP - Get a stipend of $2,028 each month, BAH is NOT included

HSCP - Counts towards retirement
HPSP - Does NOT count towards retirement

HSCP - Full benefits for your entire family (including health insurance)
HPSP - No benefits

HSCP - Counts towards time in the military (will graduate as an O-3 with over 4 years in which amounts to a HUGE difference in monthly pay)
HPSP - Does not count towards time in the military (will graduate as an O-3 with zero years in)

HSCP - Considered active duty the whole time (in an inactive status)
HPSP - Not considered active duty until graduation

HSCP - No Bonus
HPSP - $20,000 bonus

Regarding applying for the programs: the application process is nearly identical, so if you are having trouble applying for HPSP, then most likely you will have the same difficulties with HSCP. The issue most likely resides with your recruiter. Press your recruiter on a daily basis at this point. The slots are filling up fast and once they fill up you will not be able to get in until next year.

Hope this helps!

I plan on doing this, but have one question.
Applying for the 2017 cycle.

I won't take the MCAT until July 6th, meaning scores won't come out till early Aug, then I will start applying to many schools etc. Should I start with the HPSP registration paperwork etc right when I start applying to med school, then wait till I get an acceptance, or do you do you apply for it after acceptance? I know that it takes months for the process since your name or something has to be approved by congress before they move on

I plan on doing this, but have one question.
Applying for the 2017 cycle.

I won't take the MCAT until July 6th, meaning scores won't come out till early Aug, then I will start applying to many schools etc. Should I start with the HPSP registration paperwork etc right when I start applying to med school, then wait till I get an acceptance, or do you do you apply for it after acceptance? I know that it takes months for the process since your name or something has to be approved by congress before they move on

Well, you need to START the application process early, but recruiters wont take you very seriously until you at least know your MCAT score. That being said, I took my MCAT in July this last year and got my results in August. I then jumped on the application process, and to my knowledge (via some priviledged inside info, lol) I think I was the first selectee for HSCP (and possibly HPSP) this year.

You won't be able to submit your final application until you have an official acceptance at a school. But you need to start the process waaaay before that because it takes many months to complete (physical, security clearance, tons of paperwork, additional letters of rec, etc.)

Hope this helps.

1. HSCP
2. Navy
3. Board approved
4. 5 years prior Navy (Naval Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmember (SWCC))
5. University of Arizona