Current Navy Scholar Here to Answer Questions (HPSP and HSCP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InagStudentCICOM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best

Members don't see this ad.

What are the requirements and how competitive is it?

*by requirements I mainly am wondering about MCAT and whether there are physical requirements

*by requirements I mainly am wondering about MCAT and whether there are physical requirements
Of course there's physical requirements. Its the military :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm a current Navy Collegiate Scholar (HSCP) here to answer any questions you have. I did extensive research into the HPSP as well and have many friends doing it, so I am well versed. I am also prior enlisted with the Army and with the Air Force, so I have lots of insights.

Best

How does this compare to HPSP?

It is slightly less competitive than getting into medical school. With that said, if you are holding an acceptance letter to a school, and you have decent stats with no criminal record, you are almost guaranteed a slot.
There are no physical requirements (past being a good medical health) to join; but once you are actively in HSCP (or post graduation for HPSP) they will expect you to pass a PT test.

because my account is new I can't link you to the Navy Fitness test standards, so you'll just have to google search it.

Reactions: 1 user
How does this compare to HPSP?

Health Services Collegiate Program. It is a really good option for prior enlisted folks.
In summary: They enlist you as an E-6 (Petty officer 1st class) with promotion to E-7 with referral (hi, let me refer you); so during your 4 years of schooling you get a full time pay check, tricare, and retirement benefits - all with a 4 year commitment. It really helps you get closer to retirement.

It is unique to the Navy.

HPSP: Simply pays your tuition and fees, time does not count toward retirement, no medical benefits during school. Good option if you get into an expensive private school.

So let me know if I'm breaking down HPSP correctly (financially and year to year schedule)

Medical School (4 years) --> Assuming that books and tuition are 40k per year, that 40k is paid for by HPSP? What about living cost, phone costs, car, health, etc. Is there a stipend for that and how much is that stipend?
Residency (3 years) --> There is no limitation on what residency one does right? Does it have to be through the military or can it be a regular residency? Does HPSP pay for applications and flight expenses as well during this application time?
4-year commitment --> Where do you typically serve and what type of work will one be expected to do? Is it paid and how much?

Of course there's physical requirements. Its the military :p
I meant to ask what they are... I’m not stupid
It is slightly less competitive than getting into medical school. With that said, if you are holding an acceptance letter to a school, and you have decent stats with no criminal record, you are almost guaranteed a slot.
There are no physical requirements (past being a good medical health) to join; but once you are actively in HSCP (or post graduation for HPSP) they will expect you to pass a PT test.

because my account is new I can't link you to the Navy Fitness test standards, so you'll just have to google search it.
I read for Air Force a 124 in each section of the MCAT is minimum... I couldn't find info on this for HPSP do you happen to know?

I'm guessing that you are using G.I. Bill to front the school costs? How is the transition from Army to Navy? I just ETS'ed and have been looking at HSCP vs going reserves. What are the residency options like? Or is it pretty much guaranteed GMO?

Thanks so much!

Is there a cap on how much tuition each program will cover? Also, is there an age requirement (I'm 36)?

I’m not prior enlisted/officer so I’m guessing that wouldn’t apply to me.

How much of a choice do I get in residency or field? If I want to go into pathology but they want me in peds, am I **** out of luck?

Age restrictions? I’m 38. I know I qualify for health service corps until 42(?) as an entomologist. Not sure if it’s the same for all health specialties.

Thanks for answering questions!

So let me know if I'm breaking down HPSP correctly (financially and year to year schedule)

Medical School (4 years) --> Assuming that books and tuition are 40k per year, that 40k is paid for by HPSP? What about living cost, phone costs, car, health, etc. Is there a stipend for that and how much is that stipend?
Residency (3 years) --> There is no limitation on what residency one does right? Does it have to be through the military or can it be a regular residency? Does HPSP pay for applications and flight expenses as well during this application time?
4-year commitment --> Where do you typically serve and what type of work will one be expected to do? Is it paid and how much?

Medical School: They give you a living stipend of about $2,300 per month, and pay for any tuition, fees, or other things REQUIRED by the school - an example would be health insurance if it is required, which it often is.
Residency: Only limitation is what is offered, i.e. PM&R is simply not offered through the military. You can request a civilian deferment, but you have to justify it. HPSP does not pay for travel expenses.
Commitment: Location wise, you serve at the base where your speciality is needed. Pediatricians won't be deployed to a combat zone, right? It just makes sense. But Walkter Reed may need a neurologist, so you may go there. Just classical manning/HR requirements really. You get a small say in it, but no guarantees. The work expected is just like your civilian counterparts, no difference. The Commitment is paid, you'll make about $130k base pay, plus bonus pay.

I meant to ask what they are... I’m not stupid

I read for Air Force a 124 in each section of the MCAT is minimum... I couldn't find info on this for HPSP do you happen to know?

That isn't an unreasonable assumption, as it is mostly true for medical schools. I haven't read or heard anything official though If you have a 123, you need to retake MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing that you are using G.I. Bill to front the school costs? How is the transition from Army to Navy? I just ETS'ed and have been looking at HSCP vs going reserves. What are the residency options like? Or is it pretty much guaranteed GMO?

Thanks so much!

I have a different scholarship that covers my tuition (I exhausted my GI bill). Being in the program now, I can't really tell you how different the Navy is yet, but my transition from Army to Air Force was smooth. Same stuff, just a different uniform. Biggest difference was the more relaxed culture in the Air Force, which I imagine will be similar in the Navy.

It isn't guaranteed GMO. If you are really competitive, and they have open slots for your desired residency you will likely get in. Residency options are kind of similar to civilian, but I heard it is changing next year where you list your top two choices of residences and duty location. GMO can be a decent tour though, it isn't terrible and it counts as pay back.

Is there a cap on how much tuition each program will cover? Also, is there an age requirement (I'm 36)?

No cap for HPSP. HSCP does not pay tuition, so it is only advantageous for prior enlisted that get into a cheaper school, use the GI bill, or have another scholarship.

I’m not prior enlisted/officer so I’m guessing that wouldn’t apply to me.

How much of a choice do I get in residency or field? If I want to go into pathology but they want me in peds, am I **** out of luck?

Age restrictions? I’m 38. I know I qualify for health service corps until 42(?) as an entomologist. Not sure if it’s the same for all health specialties.

Thanks for answering questions!

Not sure what the exact age limit is, but they have waivers if you exceed it. You have a VERY strong say in what residency you do. I believe it is changing nest year where you list your top two speciality choices.

That isn't an unreasonable assumption, as it is mostly true for medical schools. I haven't read or heard anything official though If you have a 123, you need to retake MCAT.
Well I don’t need to unless I decide to go HPSP... I have 5 DO interviews

Decided to call a recruiter it is a 500 MCAT minimum with a minimum of 124 in each section for anyone else wondering

Reactions: 3 users

You better be willing to at least be in the ‘4 mile club’ for 8 years post graduation.
>make weight/height
>run 2 mi <17:30
>do >43 push-ups
>do >50 sit-ups.

^^^ army minimum requirements, but if you’re doing HPSP you better be ok with being fit and working out

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what the exact age limit is, but they have waivers if you exceed it. You have a VERY strong say in what residency you do. I believe it is changing nest year where you list your top two speciality choices.
You will *not* be forced into a specialty you don’t rank. Worst case you do a TY and GMO

Decided to call a recruiter it is a 500 MCAT minimum with a minimum of 124 in each section for anyone else wondering
Thanks for calling and sharing! I’m actively working with a navy recruiter right now. While those numbers do have weight, I am told any subsection score that doesn’t make the cut, the review board is willing to overlook that with an acceptance to a school. Those are kind of general guidelines for people because most people accepted to school have those stats as a minimum.

Thanks for calling and sharing! I’m actively working with a navy recruiter right now. While those numbers do have weight, I am told any subsection score that doesn’t make the cut, the review board is willing to overlook that with an acceptance to a school. Those are kind of general guidelines for people because most people accepted to school have those stats as a minimum.
Thanks for that info! The recruiter I spoke to said they used to be able to waive it but it recently changed. I guess I could always try again, although I kind of took it as a sign that it isn't meant to be because I've gone back and forth on whether I want to go into military medicine

Thanks for that info! The recruiter I spoke to said they used to be able to waive it but it recently changed. I guess I could always try again, although I kind of took it as a sign that it isn't meant to be because I've gone back and forth on whether I want to go into military medicine

No problem! If you get an acceptance early, and are really interested, you should definitely show up to the recruiter near you with your acceptance letter, and I bet you they'll be more invested in you as an applicant. Seems to me it varies by recruiter and some will invest more time in you if they see you are motivated and have the right attitude despite borderline numbers, especially with an acceptance. I'm definitely borderline, don't have an acceptance at the moment, but my recruiter seems to think it'll be okay even though i have a sub 124 mcat section. Maybe not as many people going for the scholarship nowadays, or I'm a backup to more competitive applicants. If it doesn't work out, I'll just join up after medical school and residency. There's always that, haha (might need an age waiver though)

No problem! If you get an acceptance early, and are really interested, you should definitely show up to the recruiter near you with your acceptance letter, and I bet you they'll be more invested in you as an applicant. Seems to me it varies by recruiter and some will invest more time in you if they see you are motivated and have the right attitude despite borderline numbers, especially with an acceptance. I'm definitely borderline, don't have an acceptance at the moment, but my recruiter seems to think it'll be okay even though i have a sub 124 mcat section. Maybe not as many people going for the scholarship nowadays, or I'm a backup to more competitive applicants. If it doesn't work out, I'll just join up after medical school and residency. There's always that, haha (might need an age waiver though)
Thank you I appreciate it! I need to really decide if it’s what I wanna go into but I’ll keep in mind that I may still have a chance