Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else completely frustrated with the progress of their personal statement?? this is turning out to be much harder than i expected...

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else completely frustrated with the progress of their personal statement?? this is turning out to be much harder than i expected...
I got sick of looking at mine, so I guess I'm done with it. It was kind of a pain, only because I had so many edits/rewrites.

Members don't see this ad :)

Haven't touched my personal statement in over a year, which sucks because in that year I've done so much other things that would greatly enhance my statement. Guess I'll be using Spring Break to be writing it.

I was just making edits to mine right before this. I had written mine over a year ago as well..showed it to some my advisor and professors this year and decided to make more edits.
I might write another one from scratch with another theme in the weeks to come; hopefully, if anything I can use bits and pieces for secondaries.
Good luck w/ PS writing to everyone!

I got sick of looking at mine, so I guess I'm done with it. It was kind of a pain, only because I had so many edits/rewrites.

Yeah, it took me quite a few re-writes before I could consider mine OK. As time goes on and you are constantly making updates, the edits start to get annoying.

Can't have this thread on the second page now, can we?

Good Morning/Afternoon everyone :hello:

grrr.. how is everyone starting their PS? like a story? Rambling about being a doctor, childhood?

grrr.. how is everyone starting their PS? like a story? Rambling about being a doctor, childhood?
A story is pretty common, which can be referred to throughout the PS or just at the ending. This approach might be bordering on cliche by now, though. I did it anyway because I liked the structure it gave.

The beginning and the end were the hardest part for me. :rolleyes:

A story is pretty common, which can be referred to throughout the PS or just at the ending. This approach might be bordering on cliche by now, though. I did it anyway because I liked the structure it gave.

The beginning and the end were the hardest part for me. :rolleyes:

I think those are the hardest parts of writing any essay. The beginning sets the tone for the whole paper including how it is to be structured, while the ending has to wrap things up without bringing in new information or reiterating everything that had been said. Probably why my first draft was such a mess :scared:

Hope the MCAT went well for those of you who took it today!

Who all is registered to take down the beast in the next coming weeks?

yup, please tell us how it went. I'm currently speed reading the first few chapter of gchem. I'm a chem major so a lot of it is reiterated in my classes :) Hope you all are having a wonderful Saturday!

Members don't see this ad :)
grrr... im at 2500 characters and I have nothing more to say.

Blech...took the MCAT yesterday. Just hope I dont have to take it again!

I'm using this month of ignorance of my score to get my PS done and round up my letters. Hopefully I can have everything done before the end of April so if I do have to take it again, I don't have to worry about app stuff.

Blech...took the MCAT yesterday. Just hope I dont have to take it again!

I'm using this month of ignorance of my score to get my PS done and round up my letters. Hopefully I can have everything done before the end of April so if I do have to take it again, I don't have to worry about app stuff.
blah, I hope it went well phnerd!
how'd you feel going into it and coming out?
i'm sure everything will be good :)
but, you should definitely capitalize on the fact that you have a month of nothing and get stuff done! always productive!

but, you should definitely capitalize on the fact that you have a month of nothing and get stuff done! always productive!

Amen, I'm starting to get real stressed about having to study for the MCAT/finalize LORs/revise my PS/study for classes

Amen, I'm starting to get real stressed about having to study for the MCAT/finalize LORs/revise my PS/study for classes
I know what you mean:
I have my mcat in 2 months.
PS re write.
classes
research
volunteering hopefully (it's been on the back burner)
remind LOR writers. Though, one of my writers told me she's on the committee at school so I get a bit of an edge (stronger LOR)
start compiling/collecting transcripts.
My iphone's notes has seriously been filled with app memos and PS ideas haha

I know what you mean:
I have my mcat in 2 months.
PS re write.
classes
research
volunteering hopefully (it's been on the back burner)
remind LOR writers. Though, one of my writers told me she's on the committee at school so I get a bit of an edge (stronger LOR)
start compiling/collecting transcripts.
My iphone's notes has seriously been filled with app memos and PS ideas haha

Totally forgot about that. I'll be adding that to my list! Seeing my older friends relaxing and socializing because of their acceptances keeps me going. Only a matter of months!

The transcript thing is going to be a nightmare, being a bit of an non-trad ( 2 universities and 2 community colleges, long story) I can already see how difficult it could be trying to get those transcripts. To make matters worse, 3 of those schools are 400 miles away from my current location and I'm sure I'm going to have to actually come in person to pick up official transcripts :boom:

To make matters worse, 3 of those schools are 400 miles away from my current location and I'm sure I'm going to have to actually come in person to pick up official transcripts :boom:
Hopefully you can find a way around that. I've ordered transcripts several times from a few different colleges, and it's been very simple. I did it all online. When May comes around, I'm just going to have one set of transcripts sent to my house and one set sent to AMCAS.

blah, I hope it went well phnerd!
how'd you feel going into it and coming out?
i'm sure everything will be good :)

Thanks! I literally have nothing to do haha....I'm working on my masters right now in a non science related field, so the MCAT was the only studying I ever had to do. Today I sat and watched almost the entire Law and Order SVU marathon while recovering from a hangover...it was amazing (minus the hangover part)

Going into the test: I was actually amazingly positive the whole week. It actually surprised me, because I can't even tell you how many breakdowns I had regarding the MCAT. But I kicked it into high gear for the last week, and was actually excited to take this test. I couldn't WAIT to see what the AAMC threw at me. THIS IS KEY. You know you're ready for the test when you can't wait to take it-not because you want it to be done, but because you can't wait to prove yourself and see the material.

Going out of the test: I didn't know how I felt. PS is my worst section, but it was pretty easy on this one. Naturally the curve will be killer, so I hope I didn't screw up too much. Hope I got a 9

Verbal was SOOOOOOO ambiguous and vague. I struggled to decide between a few choices for almost every other question. I usually get a 10 or 11 on verbal and I hope thats what I got.

BS was extremely passage based. I had NO genetics, hormones, and only TWO questions on physiology. Needless to say, I was pissed. There was so much immuno, cell bio and biochem (which was fine because I've taken most of the classes). I only had one ochem passage which was a blessing, because some had two and the second one was killer.

All in all, I'm just praying I won't have to take this again. I studied over the summer and wasn't able to take it, and just took it now. That's 6 months I spent studying and I seriously might stake out an MCAT test writer if I don't break a 30.

Hope that helped a little! :)

Thanks! I literally have nothing to do haha....I'm working on my masters right now in a non science related field, so the MCAT was the only studying I ever had to do. Today I sat and watched almost the entire Law and Order SVU marathon while recovering from a hangover...it was amazing (minus the hangover part)

Going into the test: I was actually amazingly positive the whole week. It actually surprised me, because I can't even tell you how many breakdowns I had regarding the MCAT. But I kicked it into high gear for the last week, and was actually excited to take this test. I couldn't WAIT to see what the AAMC threw at me. THIS IS KEY. You know you're ready for the test when you can't wait to take it-not because you want it to be done, but because you can't wait to prove yourself and see the material.

Going out of the test: I didn't know how I felt. PS is my worst section, but it was pretty easy on this one. Naturally the curve will be killer, so I hope I didn't screw up too much. Hope I got a 9

Verbal was SOOOOOOO ambiguous and vague. I struggled to decide between a few choices for almost every other question. I usually get a 10 or 11 on verbal and I hope thats what I got.

BS was extremely passage based. I had NO genetics, hormones, and only TWO questions on physiology. Needless to say, I was pissed. There was so much immuno, cell bio and biochem (which was fine because I've taken most of the classes). I only had one ochem passage which was a blessing, because some had two and the second one was killer.

All in all, I'm just praying I won't have to take this again. I studied over the summer and wasn't able to take it, and just took it now. That's 6 months I spent studying and I seriously might stake out an MCAT test writer if I don't break a 30.

oh, do you mind me asking what you're getting your master's in?

you know, already looking forward, I'm getting excited to see what will be on my exam!
you know, the curve could be killer, but at least you know you studied all you could.
I'm super scared about verbal. no amount of preparation can make this section "predictable." My biggest fear is that because I rely on POE, I won't be able to use much POE on the real one because of the close answer choices.
and ouch, curveball with BS! though, i think those are the large front runners, so before i came on here, I was JUST studying some of the biochem (yay for cellular respiration).
all in all, your experience doesn't sound too bad! with all that prep, you're sure to have done fine, phnerd :)

ahhh back to cellular respiration. I think I'll study until 2. Hoping to do 2 chs.
Then doctor's appointment tomorrow and my mom and I are going to have an in n out date :)
and then i go snowboarding with a group of friends wednesday! man, i hope i get studying in haha

EDIT: Happy Monday, everyone!

:laugh:

MCAT in 10 days! Should be nervous, but I'm mostly excited to almost have it out of my life.

oh, do you mind me asking what you're getting your master's in?

you know, already looking forward, I'm getting excited to see what will be on my exam!
you know, the curve could be killer, but at least you know you studied all you could.
I'm super scared about verbal. no amount of preparation can make this section "predictable." My biggest fear is that because I rely on POE, I won't be able to use much POE on the real one because of the close answer choices.
and ouch, curveball with BS! though, i think those are the large front runners, so before i came on here, I was JUST studying some of the biochem (yay for cellular respiration).
all in all, your experience doesn't sound too bad! with all that prep, you're sure to have done fine, phnerd :)

ahhh back to cellular respiration. I think I'll study until 2. Hoping to do 2 chs.
Then doctor's appointment tomorrow and my mom and I are going to have an in n out date :)
and then i go snowboarding with a group of friends wednesday! man, i hope i get studying in haha

EDIT: Happy Monday, everyone!

I'm getting my MPH. My school has a combined BA/MS program, so I'm pretty much getting a free graduate degree out of it and still graduating in 4 years. My primary focus is on public health anyway, so I'll be saving some time by not having to do it after med school.

I hope I did okay. I dunno. At least I can say that I put my all into it, and if I have to take it again, so be it. I honestly can't remember much about what was on my test though. That might have to do with the amount of alcohol I drank that day.

Other than that, I seriously don't know what to do with my time. I sat on my ass the past couple of days watching tv haha. I guess I should start doing some work. 27 more days until I get my score....dunno if i can wait that long. Two nights ago I had a nightmare that I got a whopping 6 on the entire test...a 0 0 6:scared:

I have no MCAT to worry about, but I'm in the middle of a stretch of three exams, my PI is giving me a lot of data work (and I can't afford to not finish this up and submit pubs before applying), an ADCOM member I met with recently told me to scrap my PS and go from a different angle, and another ADCOM member of State Med told me "whyy don't you start volunteering in the ER. that would make me feel better about your chances" :mad: As if I have any choice now but to research, volunteer, and rewrite my PS throughout April on top of trying to get straight A's. Oh well, might as well finish strong, we've all worked hard for years to get to this moment :thumbup:

I have no MCAT to worry about, but I'm in the middle of a stretch of three exams, my PI is giving me a lot of data work (and I can't afford to not finish this up and submit pubs before applying), an ADCOM member I met with recently told me to scrap my PS and go from a different angle, and another ADCOM member of State Med told me "whyy don't you start volunteering in the ER. that would make me feel better about your chances" :mad: As if I have any choice now but to research, volunteer, and rewrite my PS throughout April on top of trying to get straight A's. Oh well, might as well finish strong, we've all worked hard for years to get to this moment :thumbup:
Sounds stressful :(
I'm sure you'll work it out, though :thumbup:

Feels good to be pretty much on cruise control until my MCAT. Only 3 more exams and then MCAT May 20th and I'm done! That day is going to be one crazy flip from morning to afternoon to an (un)forgettable night :laugh:

I'm already planning my trip to Vegas following my MCAT, I'm going to be definitely needing a couple of nights of drunken debauchery before having to deal with secondaries and whatnot.

I'm already planning my trip to Vegas following my MCAT, I'm going to be definitely needing a couple of nights of drunken debauchery before having to deal with secondaries and whatnot.

Haha yep! I booked a flight to Belize for a week just to get back and submit primaries the first week of June lol.

Is getting rec letters sheer torture for anyone else? I know so few science professors that I'm asking this guy who is probably very senile. :(

Is getting rec letters sheer torture for anyone else? I know so few science professors that I'm asking this guy who is probably very senile. :(
Yes, it's annoying! Mostly because my last writer won't write the damn thing. I don't want to be a nag, but I want him to get on it.

Yes, it's annoying! Mostly because my last writer won't write the damn thing. I don't want to be a nag, but I want him to get on it.

omg, I had to nag my writers so much. My undergrad uses veCollect to get the letters and there's this function that allows you to just click a button and send a reminder email to the evaluator...I clicked it sooo many times lol

But, as of yesterday, ALL MY LORs are COMPLETE!!!!!:soexcited::claps::zip:

And...now it's on to finishing my PS and trying for the love of God to make it not sounds like one giant awful cliche. Which is kind of hard when you actually ARE talking about saving African babies....ugh.

Good luck to everyone taking the MCAT soon. Getting it over with was probably one of the greatest feelings ever. I wish I would have broken 30..but sometimes you just gotta let it go (although 29 is probably the single most INFURIATING score to get, just saying).
:luck:

A couple of my writers were very blatant about their procrastination:

Professor: What is the deadline?
Me: I'd like to have my letters all set by April 15th.
Professor: Oh, alright then. No big rush until the 13th or 14th then.
Me: :mad:

Haha, yeah, I had a deadline from my college advisory committee for the 29th and I'm 98% sure my last one was submitted at 11:59pm that day! :laugh:

Now that its April... One month until AMCAS opens for our cycle. How crazy is that?!?! :scared:

Now that its April... One month until AMCAS opens for our cycle. How crazy is that?!?! :scared:

Wow! It just hit me when I read that! I can't believe that it's been a year already since I went through this process.

I have a dilemma that I need your guys' advice on

So I have 6 amazing letters of recommendation. One from the head of the bio dept, one from my favorite chem prof, one from my PI of 3 years, one from the head of my grad program (who's really famous), one from a grad professor, and one from the guy who I was an RA for for two years.

The thing is, I don't have a letter from the pre med adviser or my undergrad major adviser. I dont even know the pre med adviser, especially since he just got the position two months ago. My undergrad major adviser is, for the lack for a better term, a tool. He's a complete jerk who only ever criticized me and never helped me.

That's why I'm getting a letter from the head of the bio department. He knows how awful my adviser is, and he loves me after I took one of his classes and did really well.

Will this be a problem? I know schools specifically request a letter from the pre med adviser or your major adviser.

So I have 6 amazing letters of recommendation. One from the head of the bio dept, one from my favorite chem prof, one from my PI of 3 years, one from the head of my grad program (who's really famous), one from a grad professor, and one from the guy who I was an RA for for two years.

The thing is, I don't have a letter from the pre med adviser or my undergrad major adviser. I dont even know the pre med adviser, especially since he just got the position two months ago. My undergrad major adviser is, for the lack for a better term, a tool. He's a complete jerk who only ever criticized me and never helped me.

That's why I'm getting a letter from the head of the bio department. He knows how awful my adviser is, and he loves me after I took one of his classes and did really well.

Will this be a problem? I know schools specifically request a letter from the pre med adviser or your major adviser.

Your pre-health advisor is supposed to compile all your LOR's and write a 'cover letter', before sending everything to AMCAS. Can you arrange a meeting with your pre-health advisor, to let him know your intentions and get to know him? A couple meetings with him might be the best way to approach this

Your pre-health advisor is supposed to compile all your LOR's and write a 'cover letter', before sending everything to AMCAS. Can you arrange a meeting with your pre-health advisor, to let him know your intentions and get to know him? A couple meetings with him might be the best way to approach this

I dont think he does this though....no one has ever mentioned it at my school, and everyone here uses Interfolio for their rec letters

I dont think he does this though....no one has ever mentioned it at my school, and everyone here uses Interfolio for their rec letters

OK, then there is no 'committee letter' at your school. This is what people usually refer to when they mention a requirement for a letter from a pre-health advisor. If there are any med schools that require a letter from 'an advisor' (regardless of a school having or not having a pre-health committee letter service) you should be covered with your head of grad school letter. I'm not even sure if a general 'advisor' letter requirement exists at any school. All in all, I believe you're fine :)

OK, then there is no 'committee letter' at your school. This is what people usually refer to when they mention a requirement for a letter from a pre-health advisor. If there are any med schools that require a letter from 'an advisor' (regardless of a school having or not having a pre-health committee letter service) you should be covered with your head of grad school letter. I'm not even sure if a general 'advisor' letter requirement exists at any school. All in all, I believe you're fine :)

Yeah we definitely don't have a committee. Thanks for your help! :)

Most (all?) schools do not require, or want, a letter from your pre-med advisor (only if it is an official committee letter). I applied to ~25 schools, and none of them wanted a pre-med advisor to send a letter. 2 science and 1 non-science letter will cover you for just about everywhere, and if you have a research mentor, then that should be included as well.

man.. I'd have preferred if my school didnt have a pre-med committee.. since I do, i have to use it!!

man.. I'd have preferred if my school didnt have a pre-med committee.. since I do, i have to use it!!

Haha I never even knew what a pre-med committee was until SDN. So glad my school doesn't have one.