Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't believe they made changes to the AMCAS. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Can't believe they made changes to the AMCAS. :thumbdown:
I'm so so on it. I don't like how there's a smaller character limit for activities and we need a contact person/info now.

i actually like the changes. especially the addition of the biography section.
is it like an autobiography? or who is the biography on? it's late, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what we're writing a biography for! :eek:

EDIT: I took a look at the powerpoint, and maybe the childhood thing might be nice for pity? I grew up in a disadvantaged poor neighborhood and can put that? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I, personally, don't like the new changes to AMCAS. Just another way to screen out more white, middle class kids that of course shouldn't be doctors because we didn't have a hard childhood. :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I didn't work just as hard for my grades in college as everyone else.

I, personally, don't like the new changes to AMCAS. Just another way to screen out more white, middle class kids that of course shouldn't be doctors because we didn't have a hard childhood. :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I didn't work just as hard for my grades in college as everyone else.

I don't want to change this thread into one about race, but I'm sure its not meant to exclude. I guess its a way to take it into account at how much one's childhood could properly prepare them for the rigors of college which does have some implications with socioeconomic status.

I don't want to change this thread into one about race, but I'm sure its not meant to exclude. I guess its a way to take it into account at how much one's childhood could properly prepare them for the rigors of college which does have some implications with socioeconomic status.

It can be viewed in many ways depending on the schools you are apply to. The school I am applying to is really big on rural physicians, so this would be a great way to build up how one grew up in a small town and understand the small town needs etc. It could be used for good purposes, along with its evil purposes. :D

Don't pollute this thread. kthxbai.

I'm not sure I'm diggin the new AMCAS either, the whole bio thing is wack IMO

I think it's observing the socioeconomic aspect of things, some kids just don't have the motivation from parents/ guardians to do well in school growing up. Everyone works hard for their grades, some people just have to overcome adversity more than others early on to reach the final goal.

Oh, I had a wonderful conversation with a bunch of 4th year med students this past Friday at my schools pub (should be pretty obvious what school I'm talking about). Quite relieving to know that one, I might actually be able to find time to consume alcohol while a med student and 2, the med students at my school are incredibly hot. I hope that trend continues if I'm ever granted admission to my alma mater :D

Hi 2016... Just want to let you guys know from all of us in 2015... we're already done with all this crap!

In yo face!

Sorry... it's late and I'm bored. Seriously good luck when the AMCAS opens, us 2015ers are more than happy to help. I swear we don't bite :D

Hi 2016... Just want to let you guys know from all of us in 2015... we're already done with all this crap!

In yo face!

Sorry... it's late and I'm bored. Seriously good luck when the AMCAS opens, us 2015ers are more than happy to help. I swear we don't bite :D

you're a terrible human being. seriously though congratulations on being done! i've been stalking the school specific threads and nervously waiting even though i'm not in the running this year! it's inspiring and panicking at the same time :)

i hope i can actually get my sht together and apply for this year! it's gonna be cutting it close if i do. i might end up in a 2017 thread at some point :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pollute this thread. kthxbai.
:thumbup:
It can be viewed in many ways depending on the schools you are apply to. The school I am applying to is really big on rural physicians, so this would be a great way to build up how one grew up in a small town and understand the small town needs etc. It could be used for good purposes, along with its evil purposes.
:thumbup: i hope to use it to my advantage. Thing is, I'm no URM (I'm Indian -_-), BUT I grew up in a URM neighborhood, so I'm hoping that helps.

Oh, I had a wonderful conversation with a bunch of 4th year med students this past Friday at my schools pub (should be pretty obvious what school I'm talking about). Quite relieving to know that one, I might actually be able to find time to consume alcohol while a med student and 2, the med students at my school are incredibly hot. I hope that trend continues if I'm ever granted admission to my alma mater :D
SINGLE and incredibly hot? Hi, can I please come to your alma mater. thanks.

In yo face!

Congrats, y'all! I've been (non) creepily stalking your 2015 thread, and I must say, you guys can get pretty hilarious/entertaining while I'm in ochem! :laugh:
you're a terrible human being. seriously though congratulations on being done! i've been stalking the school specific threads and nervously waiting even though i'm not in the running this year! it's inspiring and panicking at the same time :)

i hope i can actually get my sht together and apply for this year! it's gonna be cutting it close if i do. i might end up in a 2017 thread at some point :mad:
:thumbdown: ew. just sounds wrong! hopefully you can be a trooper with us '16. Then again, I REALLY hope I stay a '16 :scared:

I'm off to read the PR chapter on solids, pretending like it's the best novel in the world! :(

In yo face!

I love the 2015ers. :love:I was so hoping to be one of them, but that life was not for me. :( I'll just have to rock it with the 2016ers instead!

I do have to say that the 2015ers left us big shoes to fill!

berriesandcream said:
SINGLE and incredibly hot? Hi, can I please come to your alma mater. thanks.

Yes, they were single. Of course, I was strictly talking about the females as I wasn't really paying any attention to the males :p. Actually, the crazy thing was I couldn't believe some of them were medical students since some of them were hot blondes that didn't know anything about beer other than what hefs were. Not that a hot blond can't be a doctor but it still totally blew my mind when I found out.

And since you're in California, you're already half way there. Come down to the OC and take your pick :D

In yo face!

2016 > 2015 hands down, the evenness makes us superior :cool:

Well, at one point I thought I was going to be a 2015 but was totally not ready to even begin to kind of consider possibly sort of preparing for the MCAT. So here I am, and the class is all the better for it :D

I do like the 2015 thread, you guys are a funny group of people, could have definitely seen myself being a part of that group.

Hey what up fellow 2016'ers Im in search of some advice,i posted this in another thread but thought id try here as well

- I have a phone interview with a surgeon at Hopkins next week for a chance to work in his lab this summer. His assistant said the interview will only take 15 minutes,what kind of questions should I prepared to answer? I got set up with this doc through connections and I feel this phone interview is just a formality but I don't want to be blindsided with questions I'm not ready for,just want to be prepared!

Hey what up fellow 2016'ers Im in search of some advice,i posted this in another thread but thought id try here as well

- I have a phone interview with a surgeon at Hopkins next week for a chance to work in his lab this summer. His assistant said the interview will only take 15 minutes,what kind of questions should I prepared to answer? I got set up with this doc through connections and I feel this phone interview is just a formality but I don't want to be blindsided with questions I'm not ready for,just want to be prepared!

I think two will be important:

One is a typical SURF/SURP one. "How will you personally benefit?" (and probably- what previous research have you done?)

The other is a typical med school one. "What will you add?

Or maybe it'll just be a pleasant chat about where you're from, what kind of things you enjoy, etc. Good luck man!

Well my phone interviews have all been just kind of why do you want to do this and what are you currently doing. Something to see that I was interested in whatever it was that I was going to come in for the main interview for. I honestly wouldn't expect too much from a short phone interview.

Yes, they were single. Of course, I was strictly talking about the females as I wasn't really paying any attention to the males :p. Actually, the crazy thing was I couldn't believe some of them were medical students since some of them were hot blondes that didn't know anything about beer other than what hefs were. Not that a hot blond can't be a doctor but it still totally blew my mind when I found out.

And since you're in California, you're already half way there. Come down to the OC and take your pick :D
I'm thinking I know which school, considering you have a med school and reside in the OC. I'm actually there a lot... my cousin goes there, a few friends, and of course, there's garba in october :) maybe you should start getting at them already? pull out the "I'm a pre med" card!

no experience, but sounds awesome! good luck!

Easier said than done, but I'd attempt to read a couple of his newest papers to come into the interview with an impressive understanding of his research and its goals. This falls under 'what can you add', demonstrating 1) ability to fully grasp the material, and 2) great work ethic

Easier said than done, but I'd attempt to read a couple of his newest papers to come into the interview with an impressive understanding of his research and its goals. This falls under 'what can you add', demonstrating 1) ability to fully grasp the material, and 2) great work ethic

Thanks for the responses everyone some questions im expecting are what can you add/how will you be beneficial? What do you hope to gain from this experience? What's your past experience? Why do you want to do research?

Also I agree WUbear,I've been looking up his work and trying to have a basic understanding of his research so I can sound somewhat well versed. I know he won't be expecting me to know details of specic pathways but having a basic idea of what he is doing cant hurt. Still kinda nervous!

Thanks for the responses everyone some questions im expecting are what can you add/how will you be beneficial? What do you hope to gain from this experience? What's your past experience? Why do you want to do research?

Also I agree WUbear,I've been looking up his work and trying to have a basic understanding of his research so I can sound somewhat well versed. I know he won't be expecting me to know details of specic pathways but having a basic idea of what he is doing cant hurt. Still kinda nervous!

:luck: :xf:

Hey guys,

Where can I find 2011's secondary essay questions to prepare for 2012? (for FL, GA, PA, TX, NY, NJ, and CA schools; I know, it's a broad range, but what!)

Thanks in advance,

It's such a nice day today... I might have to leave work early and go on a hike. Guys, if I have to move somewhere cold for med school I don't know if I'll be able to cope :laugh:

It's such a nice day today... I might have to leave work early and go on a hike. Guys, if I have to move somewhere cold for med school I don't know if I'll be able to cope :laugh:

I moved to the East coast for undergrad and the first winter was pretty rough. My West coast friends and I commiserated with each other. After that, we sucked it up and got used to it. :laugh:

In other news, the MCAT is looming ahead. :scared:

We enjoyed 82F all day today, too :thumbup:

Alright guys, its NCAA tourney time!

Who do we have cutting down the nets?!

In my first bracket, I'm picking UConn. I'm a homer for the Big East, and Kemba Walker is tearing it up.

In my second bracket I go with the brain over the heart and choose Kansas.

If anyone's interested in making a espn bracket group I'm probably down

I looked through the secondary prompts from last year and am glad to see that most of the schools I'm applying don't really have an essay. It's not going to be as hard as I thought. Well, maybe not. Just can't get started on these types of essays! Still haven't started the PS.

I looked through the secondary prompts from last year and am glad to see that most of the schools I'm applying don't really have an essay. It's not going to be as hard as I thought. Well, maybe not. Just can't get started on these types of essays! Still haven't started the PS.
How many schools are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking? I think most of my schools have essays, and I'm not looking forward to it :sleep:

Alright guys, its NCAA tourney time!

Who do we have cutting down the nets?!

In my first bracket, I'm picking UConn. I'm a homer for the Big East, and Kemba Walker is tearing it up.

In my second bracket I go with the brain over the heart and choose Kansas.

If anyone's interested in making a espn bracket group I'm probably down

I can create a 2016 bracket group if you guys wanna join?

I can create a 2016 bracket group if you guys wanna join?
Basketball? I'm down if ya'll want to explain all the rules and stuff to me :)

And about the nice weather! CA has been good to us this week :) Think I'm gonna rock a dress tomorrow in it's honor!

I went ahead and created one on yahoo

Group name: class of 2016!

Password: Sdn

Group Id: 196038

Everyone join!

Awesome! Cmon everyone join!!you have until 12:15 pm tomorrow to submit your bracket

Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Awesome! Cmon everyone join!!you have until 12:15 pm tomorrow to submit your bracket

Can't find the group. :(

Joined and submitted!

Warning: I know nothing about college basketball. If some of my picks look absolutely ridiculous, it's because they are. :laugh:

totally forgot the bracket as I thought it was due on Thursday (today) at 12:15 and not on Wednesday, but since actual games started today I can see why now, lol :p
Never really got into NCAA basketball, only because I would like to support my school and they're terrible at basketball and since there's no football team, there's no other collegiate sports to support.

Anyways, good news, I jumped up 6 points in my last full length practice MCAT from my previous one of about a month or so ago. At least I know that all the material I'm learning my class is finally starting to click. 3 months til the real thing

Joined and submitted!

Warning: I know nothing about college basketball. If some of my picks look absolutely ridiculous, it's because they are. :laugh:

I'm a HUGE college bball fan,but this tourny is going to be surprising!

Anyone saw the thread "The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012" ?

I couldn't have found it searching, though it's not May, yet.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how's studying going for those of you who have yet to take the MCAT?