Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
top?

Edit:

like_a_boss.jpeg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

HA. My PI gave the cool project to a grad student whom I have to hand hold through everything!

I think I'm gonna start using my 3rd credit card for my remaining apps...

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
HA. My PI gave the cool project to a grad student whom I have to hand hold through everything!

Lame :mad:

My PI just dumbed down my project for me. He was like theres no way you can do this. Ill make the post doc's lose sleep over it

The undergrad I can't stand said my protocol did not work at lab meeting on monday even though she didn't do it right. It's worked for me and everyone else in the lab for 6 months. My PI agreed with her.

My PI let me use markers unsupervised today.

Lame :mad:

My PI just dumbed down my project for me. He was like theres no way you can do this. Ill make the post doc's lose sleep over it

The worst part is that we don't have a post-doc. I'm the PRA, and we have one master's student and one undergrad. The old PRA is leaving this month. He told the PI that the MS student and the UG are ****-ups who don't listen. The PI told him that "I value everyone equally" and "you are not in charge" The end result has been chaos. The UG and the MS student don't listen, waste supplies, and I can't even get my own $hit done cause I have to chase them around. Sorry to bit$h at ya'll, it's just been an awful few days.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst part is that we don't have a post-doc. I'm the PRA, and we have one master's student and one undergrad. The old PRA is leaving this month. He told the PI that the MS student and the UG are ****-ups who don't listen. The PI told him that "I value everyone equally" and "you are not in charge" The end result has been chaos. The UG and the MS student don't listen, waste supplies, and I can't even get my own $hit done cause I have to chase them around. Sorry to bit$h at ya'll, it's just been an awful few days.

Dude that sucks. My sympathizes. How much longer do you have to me there

3rd? Wow. Did you have low limits on your other ones?

One of them yes, the other one is AMEX and not alot of schools accept it.

:(

what's a PRA?

I had a bad day as well. I turned into lab manager this summer and trained 4 students: masters/honors/2 undergrads. I advocated one of the undergrads and worked closely with him the last week. He made 2 mistakes yesterday but he asked that he handle todays experiment. BAD IDEA, does not label and we dont know which sample is which. PI is PISSED... :eek:

Funny thing is, today I was reading a book on surgical rotations and I specifically read a section about maintaining your role as a medical student, not a doctor... See the parallel?

UGH :mad:

Dude that sucks. My sympathizes. How much longer do you have to me there

My contract technically runs till next June. The minute I get an acceptance from any medical school, anywhere, I am out. I'll give two weeks notice and leave. I put this job on my AMCAS because research was my weak point that I could fix. I don't want to up and walk out because of that. At the same time, I got two job offers last week that pay 5 times what I make as a PRA. I wouldn't mind the lousy pay if I could either do my research or control the lab.... but lately I get blamed for everything and have no control over the lab. For example, I used a floor centrifuge in the teaching lab 3 weeks ago for a protein prep. Last night my PI emailed me and told me it was filthy and I need to clean it. I haven't touched it in 3 weeks. The class that is in the teaching lab uses it twice a week. WTF!?!? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

My contract technically runs till next June. The minute I get an acceptance from any medical school, anywhere, I am out. I'll give two weeks notice and leave. I put this job on my AMCAS because research was my weak point that I could fix. I don't want to up and walk out because of that. At the same time, I got two job offers last week that pay 5 times what I make as a PRA. I wouldn't mind the lousy pay if I could either do my research or control the lab.... but lately I get blamed for everything and have no control over the lab. For example, I used a floor centrifuge in the teaching lab 3 weeks ago for a protein prep. Last night my PI emailed me and told me it was filthy and I need to clean it. I haven't touched it in 3 weeks. The class that is in the teaching lab uses it twice a week. WTF!?!? I feel like I'm losing my mind.

That was me for 6 months. My threshold was at a critical level but I made it through. Tough it out!

One of them yes, the other one is AMEX and not alot of schools accept it.

:(

what's a PRA?

I had a bad day as well. I turned into lab manager this summer and trained 4 students: masters/honors/2 undergrads. I advocated one of the undergrads and worked closely with him the last week. He made 2 mistakes yesterday but he asked that he handle todays experiment. BAD IDEA, does not label and we dont know which sample is which. PI is PISSED... :eek:

Funny thing is, today I was reading a book on surgical rotations and I specifically read a section about maintaining your role as a medical student, not a doctor... See the parallel?

UGH :mad:

I feel your pain. PRA is Professional Research Assistant. I'm supposed to be in charge of the lab (ie ordering supplies, safety, etc) and doing actual research. Lately all I do is baby sit. Just in the past 24 hours the UG broke the lab-quake, decided my protocol involving the lab-quake didn't work, left an unlabeled beaker of crap near the sink, and broke a low pressure chromatography column.

I feel your pain. PRA is Professional Research Assistant. I'm supposed to be in charge of the lab (ie ordering supplies, safety, etc) and doing actual research. Lately all I do is baby sit. Just in the past 24 hours the UG broke the lab-quake, decided my protocol involving the lab-quake didn't work, left an unlabeled beaker of crap near the sink, and broke a low pressure chromatography column.

Spin it in a positive light:
You were able to balance research with crisis management and insubordination.

Spin it in a positive light:
You were able to balance research with crisis management and insubordination.

Nice! I like where your head is at. Hopefully I get an interview and can spin it like this! Just when I'm feeling like *****... WYS and c/o 2016 come through and make me laugh! Thanks all!:laugh:

Ha, I'm on the same boat. Anything wrong happens, even if I'm not in lab, I get blamed. As a lab manager, I still get paid as a research associate (I can barely live now with my massive list of schools and secondaries + my living situation...). I am also baby sitting these students and my PI is too distracted to write or even look at my draft of our manuscript(s)...

I think what would help is changing your perspective of your PI to a more casual relationship (don't know your situation), and assign your inferiors (lol, funny we have peons now :D ) to do work for you, in a polite way of course. That way, you have less work and scut work in your hands

Nice! I like where your head is at. Hopefully I get an interview and can spin it like this! Just when I'm feeling like *****... WYS and c/o 2016 come through and make me laugh! Thanks all!:laugh:

Heh, having been through the gauntlet of liberal arts, I've learned the art of talking up my "soft" skills. :laugh:

I want to know - who are the people IN the memes we use? :laugh:

in the case of that kid? a WINNER.

seriously though it's kinda scary. any random facebook picture could have 1 successful joking caption on it and boom. you're scumbag steve.

in the case of that kid? a WINNER.

seriously though it's kinda scary. any random facebook picture could have 1 successful joking caption on it and boom. you're scumbag steve.

I initially read that as "WEINER."

I was wondering if I missed out on some sexual joke.

Reproductive anatomy should be a blast.

LOL. with my level of humor in general i wonder if i'll ever grow up. one minute, i'm all "i'm an adult" and the next some dumb internet meme with a caption has me cracking up..

Dude internet memes are what give me the joy of laughter every day. Rage comics, advice animals, etc. so awesome

Case Western Essays have been pwned now for 2 hours. 4-5 essays beasted

LOL. with my level of humor in general i wonder if i'll ever grow up. one minute, i'm all "i'm an adult" and the next some dumb internet meme with a caption has me cracking up..

I'm going to be the guy in the back who ends up snickering when the professor says "vagina," "penis," "testicles," or "boobs."

One day I will grow up.

I'm going to be the guy in the back who ends up snickering when the professor says "vagina," "penis," "testicles," or "boobs."

One day I will grow up.

Vagina makes me laugh.

a text from last night said the following...

(425): Ohh man do you know how awkward it is to keep eye contact and have a normal conversation with someone while their hand is in your vagina? http://tfl.nu/gdbr

Dude internet memes are what give me the joy of laughter every day. Rage comics, advice animals, etc. so awesome

Case Western Essays have been pwned now for 2 hours. 4-5 essays beasted

I'm rethinking Case. It seems like they offer basically no financial aid (at least merit based). It's a shame, because the school really intrigues me

I'm rethinking Case. It seems like they offer basically no financial aid (at least merit based). It's a shame, because the school really intrigues me

Their BME research is awesome. thats why im applying

CCLCM route. I put down both programs in the secondary so we'll see.

Are you applying MSTP / MD-PhD for everything, or are you just interested in research + regular MD?

Are you applying MSTP / MD-PhD for everything, or are you just interested in research + regular MD?

Depended on the school. For example the only PhD program i applied to in Texas was TCOM. Only MD/Ph.D i applied to out of state was UCSD, WUSTL. Everything else was either regular MD, or MD/MS with bioengineering. Some Texas schools have an MD+ program where you apply for a MS after you've been accepted so i may do that.

TOP!!!

TAw9Y.jpg

Depended on the school. For example the only PhD program i applied to in Texas was TCOM. Only MD/Ph.D i applied to out of state was UCSD, WUSTL. Everything else was either regular MD, or MD/MS with bioengineering. Some Texas schools have an MD+ program where you apply for a MS after you've been accepted so i may do that.

I'm planning on pursuing an M.S. with the MD track (assuming I get in :xf:). I think I'll try to sneak into the MS track whenever I happen to receive an acceptance. I really would have liked to do MD/PhD, but I simply don't have the research credentials.