Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Today was interesting. I've been feeling overwhelmed with the load on our shoulders as we move into our natural busy season while dealing with COVID changes to the business. A month ago, I felt like I was back in 1st semester vet school haha

But now, as my case experience has increased exponentially and I've learned from the cases I would have handled differently now after the fact, I feel excited for the graduating class. I've been out one year, and I've become a leader, a good veterinarian, and someone who looks out for both the animals and the owners while simultaneously making sure those who work alongside me know they are valued.

I have a very long ways to go, but knowing our profession is adding plenty more smart, hardworking, and compassionate people with the new grads makes me excited like the incoming classes to vet school. It really is all relative and I hope people keep trying to find the things that make life not so bad sometimes.

TlDr: First year out is like first year vet school, when you're approaching 1 year DVM your feel like you've grown in 1 year as much as graduating 4 years vet school. haha

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I attract cats with busted legs. Complications keep popping up when plated. No one can afford referral, and I am always for amputation when that happens, but there are times when people are okay with our GP who likes to do orthopedics at least try to save the leg. Haven’t had success for one reason or another every ****ing time we’ve gone that route. FRUSTRATING. :/

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I did do my first FB all by myself the other day though. Pulled a weird fabric covered glass/sharp plastic type thing out of the pylorus through gastric incision. Hope the sphincter is okay, but glad it didn’t have to be SI entry. Heh

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I think I forgot to update that the new grad from Dick vet med joined up last week! He is shadowing mostly, but due to necessity, has taken what are labeled as routine vacs appts, yet found that is rarely the case. :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
Good addition as he is eager and fresh air in the already overwhelmed and burned staff. Like the first couple weeks first years come into the building. My advice is still the same. Savor the outside activities and don’t sweat the small stuff. Mistakes will happen, but learn and move on while concentrating on the good. Good in theory, takes true effort to let it go.

Reactions: 2 users
I attract cats with busted legs. Complications keep popping up when plated. No one can afford referral, and I am always for amputation when that happens, but there are times when people are okay with our GP who likes to do orthopedics at least try to save the leg. Haven’t had success for one reason or another every ****ing time we’ve gone that route. FRUSTRATING. :/
Cats, man. When I was on Ortho I had a kitten patient whose broken leg had been surgically repaired a few weeks prior (can't remember if it was pinned or plated) and it ended up having to be amputated because the fracture had basically exploded...it is hard to keep a kitten on cage rest, to be fair lol

Reactions: 1 user
Soo... GP and Er are still slammed going on five months long now. So many posts trying to explain just how thinly spread we are, attempting to bring light to the clients that them yelling at us and threatening legal action is doing no one any good. I am constantly scared my patient care is slipping to unacceptable levels because there are so many emergencies that have to be worked into an already filled schedule.

I have no time to enjoy even the routine visits (that are actually routine visits) because the only thought is I can just run a quick hand over and give the vax, hit on flea tick and HW and get them out in 10minutes.

I am thankful that I have helped as many pets as I have, but now I am also feeling guilty that I am not taking the local ER shifts as they are even more slammed and have to rely on the local vets (we are all in running this er so day gp has some quality of life). I helped a decent amount before all this started, but if I work even more, I just don't know that I wouldn't burn out immediately and call it quits. I am a very resilient person, but as an introvert empath kind of person, it takes so much out of me doing right by the people themselves as well as their animals who are in need. I need my days off to not say a word all day and be mindless while surrounded by my own pets.

I am not sharing this for any real reactions or anything, just a post for people to read and evaluate where they are, maybe take a moment to assess what you need to do for yourself right now to help bring a moment of peace.

I am thankful for the weekday I have off and can just bury myself in things I love, which right now is a lemon vodka arnold palmer, watching HGTV, and in a mostly darkened room with my old man cat, who has had some questionable health lately, sleeping at my side.

Reactions: 6 users
I am thankful for the weekday I have off and can just bury myself in things I love, which right now is a lemon vodka arnold palmer, watching HGTV, and in a mostly darkened room with my old man cat, who has had some questionable health lately, sleeping at my side.

I’m watching Home Town and being jealous of the people getting pretty houses for so cheap, but also not really wanting to live in Mississippi. It’s the closest thing to Fixer Upper and it’s really all I like besides Property Brothers on that channel.

It’s either that or The First 48... or maybe one of the shows about Alaska... Yep.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m watching Home Town and being jealous of the people getting pretty houses for so cheap, but also not really wanting to live in Mississippi.

Haha it’s like when I watch home renovation shows and they’re able to get soooo much done for $30-50k. It’s so expensive where I am that just putting in windows, a little extra insulation in the attic and other crawl spaces, and mouse proofing cost about $40k. And my house is still ugly af. Ugh and we’re soon going to have to replace our septic system for another $30k. So $70k in renovations and our house is still suuuuper ugly. Like 70s wood paneling and floral wallpaper ugly. Fml

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m watching Home Town and being jealous of the people getting pretty houses for so cheap, but also not really wanting to live in Mississippi. It’s the closest thing to Fixer Upper and it’s really all I like besides Property Brothers on that channel.

It’s either that or The First 48... or maybe one of the shows about Alaska... Yep.
Try Good Bones. I think Karen and Mina are funny.

• Love
More exhaustion for today being back at the grind stone, but I managed to forget to bring home my bag of prescription joint food for the dogs, so now I get to feel like a bad owner too. Good thing for dog biscuits and them adoring me still anyway. :/

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
The double edged sword of being the one people want for their pets is so freaking real. My first dry FIP diagnosis in practice was one of my assistants' cats. :(

Five euths is just too much. Sleep and rejuvenation definitely needed. :biglove:
Funnily, I am also the one who did an assistant's rabbit spay and the first time I had one wake up and full out scream, scaring all in the hospital. Damnable wabbits! Ended up just fine, but still. haha

Reactions: 1 users
I've had rotten kitten cases ending this year. Both didn't make it. Think FIP dry has been rearing it's dirty head as I also had a couple wet, two young and one old. Corona thinks this is a year to be in the 15s of fame, Ready for it to lose the spotlight.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I've had rotten kitten cases ending this year. Both didn't make it. Think FIP dry has been rearing it's dirty head as I also had a couple wet, two young and one old. Corona thinks this is a year to be in the 15s of fame, Ready for it to lose the spotlight.
Dang Corona. That virus family wants to bring hell in its wake. Sending love your way, Lupin

• Care
Could smell the renal failure with poor little kitteh today. K was 9.5 mmol/L... Uremic ulcers in mouth and about as dehydrated as jerky. I had to euthanize a cutaneous lymphoma pup I had worked with for 4 months and 8 yr sweet dog that was yet another neurologic that had conquered N.caninum and being hit by a car in her short life. I am so done with this year. sigh

• Care
Reactions: 11 users