Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your signature...looks like you saved the coolest rotation for last.... :love:

I feel bad for the students on with us right now. It's their last rotation too. And it's insane.
The sky is absolutely FALLING on the neuro rotation right now. I had no idea you guys could even have like 20 inpatients at a time o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your signature...looks like you saved the coolest rotation for last.... :love:

I feel bad for the students on with us right now. It's their last rotation too. And it's insane.
I do really enjoy neuro, though it’s been a bit intense for me. My one patient had a herniated disk, and while we were taking the pre-op marker films, we found a gastric foreign body. So after his hemi he went over to endoscopy to remove the FB, turned out it was multiple FB’s including the eyes of two different toys. Same patient also had spina bifida, so we corrected that as well, which was pretty cool.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today is my last day of vet school ever. :eek::soexcited:
Been working 8-8 at my current externship, so very busy but I've improved my GP skills by leaps and bounds, so worth it. Finally got got by the bug that has been passed around the past three weeks. Last official day spent home in bed with my head stuffed up tighter than an overfilled ballon. :lame:

• Sad
Today is also my last day! We don't graduate until next Friday though, so we're sitting around for a week.

Reactions: 4 users
To everyone who is graduating this year ...

Congratulations to all of the new DOCTORS of 2019!

I am very happy for you - you're amazing!!! :love:

congrats DVM.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Now let the real learning begin :) First year out is probably the hardest as you figure out what kind of doctor you want to be, but it can be so rewarding!

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 9 users
Just finished my first week of "work". I shadowed another vet all week, but today while shadowing, a nurse asked if I would see a boarding wellness check, so I actually got to do my first appointment. We also saw a super cute hedgehog that needs an enucleation. Monday afternoon I start seeing my own appointments. In some ways I think I'm ready, in other ways I'm super nervous. So far I really like the hospital though. They really work together as a team, and seem to care about employees opinions.

I hope the rest of you are doing well too!

Reactions: 10 users
I had imposter syndrome in school occasionally, but I definitely have a major case of it now. I'm sitting awake at night (well, daytime, I've started my internship on overnight ER) going over every case I saw that day worrying that I've screwed something up or missed something. I very much feel like I don't belong here and that I only got here because I was a last resort. Anyone else riding this struggle bus?

I think part of it is the sudden change from having every discharge approved and never actually making decisions to 'Okay, we're letting you run free and no one will really check on you unless you hunt them down and ask.' It just makes me paranoid that I'm going to be making huge mistakes and have no idea that I am.

I had imposter syndrome in school occasionally, but I definitely have a major case of it now. I'm sitting awake at night (well, daytime, I've started my internship on overnight ER) going over every case I saw that day worrying that I've screwed something up or missed something. I very much feel like I don't belong here and that I only got here because I was a last resort. Anyone else riding this struggle bus?

I think part of it is the sudden change from having every discharge approved and never actually making decisions to 'Okay, we're letting you run free and no one will really check on you unless you hunt them down and ask.' It just makes me paranoid that I'm going to be making huge mistakes and have no idea that I am.
Yeah, I definitely hovered over my one patient that was hospitalized today worried that my fluid rate was going to be wrong, or even that it was right but I was overloading from a murmur I might have overlooked since it was an older pug and hard to hear through all the snorkeling (I didn't, but as that fluid goes the panic was real and I check a couple times to make sure). And definitely checked my choice of drug dosage a couple times. Even the simple things like approving a script I went through the history with a fine tooth comb before I initialed to be okay. lol

slowly getting the hang of things. Still got a long ways to go, but I found today I do have the euthanasia touch for comforting. I'm relieved, as three very different situations today required three very different people to be the one performing the service.

Reactions: 1 users
slowly getting the hang of things. Still got a long ways to go, but I found today I do have the euthanasia touch for comforting. I'm relieved, as three very different situations today required three very different people to be the one performing the service.
I've been Dr Death since I started, and I'm ok with it. I did refuse a euthanasia today, and just had the guy sign the pet over instead. She's a nice cat, and one of our employees may be willing to adopt her. She's clearly been neglected.

• Sad

wait, you're c/o 2019?! I could have sworn you've been a vet for ages. must be confusing you with someone else! either way, congrats & I'm sure you're going to do amazing things!!

• Love
wait, you're c/o 2019?! I could have sworn you've been a vet for ages. must be confusing you with someone else! either way, congrats & I'm sure you're going to do amazing things!!
I was originally part of 2017, but did some PhD work in there to push back my grad date. I've meandered through many aspects of vet med along the way, so I feel like that helps me give opinions on various aspects. Nothing like being the one in charge again though. Especially as a new grad, I have started during the busiest season of the year since Maine has so many clients that are emergency that something is going wrong over vacation. Had a patient with 72 pages of history from another 2-3 vets to go through to figure out while I tried to stabilize.

Vet med is awesome in that it takes all kinds to fill all the different niches of the profession. GP will probably always be my draw because I love thinking on my feet and drawing from every source I can in the time I have to get to an answer or at least provide the best care I can to inform a client of their choices in moving forward. Tis why I hate that there is so much hate in this society at times that drags such compassionate and brilliant people to such depths of despair and depression.

Literally all of my animals whoops

Yeah, I recently consolidated all Winston’s I to a giant pdf file since I’ll have to find a new internist when we move. It’s normal for a dog to have 183 pages right? I tried to rationalize it a little because my copies include some documents that a “normal owner” wouldn’t have like the handwritten intake forms that are then transcribed to the visit summary, anesthesia tracking sheets, dental charts. But still. He’s lucky I love him.

Wuff. Another long day of pets not doing well and the ending not being what I desire. HOWEVER, they knew I needed a win and I got first vet appt for 7 very rambunctious lab/terrier mix pups. Sooo many shark teeth! haha

Reactions: 5 users
Tired today, but a much better day. Hope this week is what last week was supposed to be instead of death and sadness to start my career. I know it is always gonna be around the corner, but honestly a couple of last weeks took more outta me than I thought until I had a better today. Of course, morning was surgery, so I enjoy that and was thankful for just me, the animal, the tech, and some music. haha

After a very stressful last couple of days, my last appointment for the day was a 136lb rottie boy with his bits that was a little too enthusiastic after his physical. damn near knocked me over to have a go. Good grief. haha

• Haha
  • Wow
Last edited:
Also, any GP people think they want to do an internship now, I may know a place in CA looking to fill a spot ASAP.

Big red flag. Unless it’s a highly respected internship, that’s code for some douchy internship lost slave labor and needs one. So desperate they will take any warm body.

Big red flag. Unless it’s a highly respected internship, that’s code for some douchy internship lost slave labor and needs one. So desperate they will take any warm body.
VCA West LA is looking to fill a vacancy right now (or was last week when my classmate who is there told me) so maybe it's that one? There have been a couple of big programs that have lost an intern already. VCA West LA, Friendship, and I think Gulf Coast in Texas (if not that one, I can't recall the third one).

Losing an intern really can screw up shift scheduling for the entire year, but if this program is dinky then it likely wouldn't matter as much. I'm hoping my class doesn't lose anyone because our ER coverage would go to crap, and that's with a class of 23 interns divided among three hospitals.

VCA West LA is looking to fill a vacancy right now (or was last week when my classmate who is there told me) so maybe it's that one? There have been a couple of big programs that have lost an intern already. VCA West LA, Friendship, and I think Gulf Coast in Texas (if not that one, I can't recall the third one).

Losing an intern really can screw up shift scheduling for the entire year, but if this program is dinky then it likely wouldn't matter as much. I'm hoping my class doesn't lose anyone because our ER coverage would go to crap, and that's with a class of 23 interns divided among three hospitals.
That is likely the same place.

Is Friendship the one in DC? I was looking at externships today, and found them.

As someone in the general area, I have heard Not Good things about their internship program.

Not that some internships aren't slave labor with no learning opportunities because those sure af exist, and I don't know anything about Friendship (except I had a classmate who did an internship there and as far as I know she liked it), but I'd take these types of things with a grain of salt. Every internship contains some level of horse **** and in the thick of things people often don't have a good perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
And hoo boy can your internmates really sink the whole ship if they're bad. This sentiment goes up the less interns there are. I had one internmate who did not pull her weight (literally in the middle of the year, after we had all been on overnights at least once or twice, she once came in for an overnight shift 4 hours late and used the excuse that she forgot what time overnight shifts started) and it definitely made things harder for the rest of us.

• Sad