Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chompsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody got details for the applications coming up in the fall/winter?

Number of scholarships available for each branches, dates for boards, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also interested! thanks to anyone with info :)

I'm going to try to get in touch with a recruiter or two this coming week. Hopefully they'll have some info, I'm curious when application deadlines are for the first set of boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to a general military recruiter on Monday, as my brother-in-law is in the military and suggested I go there with him first. He, however, is not a HPSP recruiter for a specific branch.. so not sure how helpful it will be. Will fill in if any useful news.

FYI - if you're interested in the HPSP, you'll want to see the healthcare-specific recruiters. If you cannot find their information, the general recruiter should be able to put you in touch. I have spoken with both the Army and the Navy healthcare recruiters and they told me they have selection boards starting in October and they'll continue monthly until the scholarship numbers are reached (generally in the Spring). Obviously, the sooner you get all this going, the better chance you'll have of getting put up for an early board and you'll increase your chances of getting the scholarship.

I spoke with an Air Force recruiter today and said the AF board isn't until March and that the application deadline is in February while the results aren't released until April. Looks like the AF is quite a few months after Navy and Army.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with an Air Force recruiter today and said the AF board isn't until March and that the application deadline is in February while the results aren't released until April. Looks like the AF is quite a few months after Navy and Army.

Air Force also has quite a few less spots...I don't know the exact numbers but I think its somewhere around 15 possibly? Some older threads will say but I'm thinking Navy was around 40-50 and the Army around 70 or so the past year, again don't quote me but it's something like that. The Air Force also does not give you the $20k signing bonus. Speculated reasons for that is because it is much more competitive since the quality of life is the greatest of the three, so people are willing to sign up even without the bonus. It's also said that the average GPA to get the Air Force HPSP is around 3.90

Air Force also has quite a few less spots...I don't know the exact numbers but I think its somewhere around 15 possibly? Some older threads will say but I'm thinking Navy was around 40-50 and the Army around 70 or so the past year, again don't quote me but it's something like that. The Air Force also does not give you the $20k signing bonus. Speculated reasons for that is because it is much more competitive since the quality of life is the greatest of the three, so people are willing to sign up even without the bonus. It's also said that the average GPA to get the Air Force HPSP is around 3.90

Yeah, my recruiter mentioned that the number of scholarships will be in the "teens" so it's definitely going to be difficult to get one. I earned a 25AA and 25TS on the DAT but my GPA is only 3.72. I definitely know my stats are beatable but my recruiter said it's definitetly worth shooting for and worst case scenario my application can be rolled over to the 3-year HPSP which the AF has around 50-60 so my odds would definitely increase. I'll just have to stay optimistic and hope I land one of those two.

I have been working with an Army recruiter since early July. I just got the O.K. for my physical, and Ill be doing that next Friday. I have done quite a bit of research, and so if any of you guys have questions, I may be able to answer them.

I have been working with an Army recruiter since early July. I just got the O.K. for my physical, and Ill be doing that next Friday. I have done quite a bit of research, and so if any of you guys have questions, I may be able to answer them.

Didn't know you were doing HPSP as well! They are trying to schedule MEPS for me now.

I'm also in the process of scheduling MEPS now

get your packets in EARLY. definitely gives you a higher chance of getting it as i was told, since you're not competing with as many applicants. good luck and if any of you have questions about the hpsp (army or navy) be sure to send me a message. i'll be glad to help! cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
how was MEPS??

I went through MEPS already in June, roughly 5am - 11:30am, sit and wait and do what they tell you and you will be fine. Unluckily, I got disqualified for weight and sight. I came back 1 month later in end of july for weight and pass and then wait to be taken out for sight, the second time was from 5am - 3pm (yea im not kidding). Still got disqualified for sight, the army recruiter turned in my sight waiver, got approved 2 weeks after.

my point is: it took me more than 2 months to complete MEPS.

Geeze, that is insane. I hope I don't have to go multiple times. My eyes aren't the greatest and I actually have some hearing loss... Hmm.

Geeze, that is insane. I hope I don't have to go multiple times. My eyes aren't the greatest and I actually have some hearing loss... Hmm.

yes, as long as your myopia is below 8 and astigmatism is below 3 you are good. as for hearing loss, close your eye and breath lightly during the test because they test mostly super low frequency that you dont even know you hear it right but just tick anyway.

make sure your body doesn't have any wounds b4 then and no bruises, dont drink any stimulants before MEPS (anectode: I heard someone got permanently disqualified because he masturbate before the test, came in, took urinalysis, and they tied him to heroine usage due to the high protein amount in his urine, LOLLL)

I went through MEPS already in June, roughly 5am - 11:30am, sit and wait and do what they tell you and you will be fine. Unluckily, I got disqualified for weight and sight. I came back 1 month later in end of july for weight and pass and then wait to be taken out for sight, the second time was from 5am - 3pm (yea im not kidding). Still got disqualified for sight, the army recruiter turned in my sight waiver, got approved 2 weeks after.

my point is: it took me more than 2 months to complete MEPS.
They take blood samples on everybody, right? Also, did you have to stay in a hotel the night before MEPS or do you just show up mad early?

Also, did they do the tape measurements when you didn't meet weight?

They take blood samples on everybody, right? Also, did you have to stay in a hotel the night before MEPS or do you just show up mad early?

Also, did they do the tape measurements when you didn't meet weight?

hello,

yes urine blood height weight audio test vision test whole body test and exam by doctor for everyone

i lived 40 min away so i just drive there the night before but some stayed ar hotel

yes i failed weight and failed tape the first time. u have to know some trick to make yourself have a thick neck and thin waist through good sucking in and drop ur chin when they measure. second time i pass weight so no need for taping

I am 5'10 and 183lbs and the max was 185. Like wtf I barely made it. I just got done with my MEPS and it took entirely too long ... Like holy ****. Lol

Does anyone know when the deadlines are for the Army and Navy HPSP? Or at the very least, when I should have my application completed by? I'm meeting with an Army recruiter tomorrow and I'm meeting with a Navy recruiter on September 15th. The Navy recruiter mentioned that starting partway through September is a good time to start the HPSP application. Is that true? Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know when the deadlines are for the Army and Navy HPSP? Or at the very least, when I should have my application completed by? I'm meeting with an Army recruiter tomorrow and I'm meeting with a Navy recruiter on September 15th. The Navy recruiter mentioned that starting partway through September is a good time to start the HPSP application. Is that true? Thanks for your help.

the first board for Army HPSP is October 2nd, that means you should have your app completed by Septemeber 22nd-24th (MEPS, transcript, history verification, etc). Normally most Army HPSP are handed out within the first 3 board meeting (monthly board only, so October board, November board, and December board). After that, they rank people on a merit of order (waitlist). This waitlist it doesn't mean you apply earlier your rank is higher but they rank based on stats and EC. while when boarding, if you apply earlier and qualified, you will be granted the scholarship

im applying now so yea

A
the first board for Army HPSP is October 2nd, that means you should have your app completed by Septemeber 22nd-24th (MEPS, transcript, history verification, etc). Normally most Army HPSP are handed out within the first 3 board meeting (monthly board only, so October board, November board, and December board). After that, they rank people on a merit of order (waitlist). This waitlist it doesn't mean you apply earlier your rank is higher but they rank based on stats and EC. while when boarding, if you apply earlier and qualified, you will be granted the scholarship

im applying now so yea
Awesome, thanks for the information! Good luck to you!

im applying now so yea
Also, do you happen to know if those deadlines are the same for the Navy? Thanks!

Also, do you happen to know if those deadlines are the same for the Navy? Thanks!

yep for Navy, you can submit for early acceptance (without an official admission letter on dec 1st) if you have above 22AA.

however, this is all recruiter's game. If you are not picky about the branch specific, you can roll your dice with watever recruiter you click.

there are bad and good recruiters out there. Some will ignore/halfass on your app some will do it promptly.

Reactions: 1 users
yep for Navy, you can submit for early acceptance (without an official admission letter on dec 1st) if you have above 22AA.

however, this is all recruiter's game. If you are not picky about the branch specific, you can roll your dice with watever recruiter you click.

there are bad and good recruiters out there. Some will ignore/halfass on your app some will do it promptly.
I see, so without an above 22 AA you would you have to wait for an admission letter? How is this December 1st early acceptance different than applying before the October board?

Well it seems I'll be aiming for the October board for Army and November board for Navy (I got a 23 AA if that changes things).
I understand, so it's all about getting a good recruiter who will do their best on your application!

I see, so without an above 22 AA you would you have to wait for an admission letter? How is this December 1st early acceptance different than applying before the October board?

Well it seems I'll be aiming for the October board for Army and November board for Navy (I got a 23 AA if that changes things).
I understand, so it's all about getting a good recruiter who will do their best on your application!

with a DAT from 22 or more, you can apply and board for navy HPSP scholarship without an official admission letter because you are considered as provisional acceptance dental applicant. without this DAT score, you wait until you get your official admission letter then you board. early acceptance allows you to board for october board without this, you wait until your first admission letter (dec 1st) and then to be boarded.

I don't want to get your hope up but chances are you won't board for october board if you meet your army recruiter tomorrow because tomorrow is already september, you have to fill out a lot of paper work, order your transcript and DAT score (which will take around 2 weeks), and schedule for MEPS (some recruiter is slow with this) and then if you happen to fail meps, that could take another 1 month. get your official hand signed LORs in to recruiter (portfolio letters dont work here), then more time is needed for your recruiter to do other paper work (such as verification, history check up, criminal back ground check)

I see you goes to a small liberal art college Whittier, which is just right next to where I live LOL. You lost interest in the big university in so cal?

with a DAT from 22 or more, you can apply and board for navy HPSP scholarship without an official admission letter because you are considered as provisional acceptance dental applicant. without this DAT score, you wait until you get your official admission letter then you board. early acceptance allows you to board for october board without this, you wait until your first admission letter (dec 1st) and then to be boarded.

I don't want to get your hope up but chances are you won't board for october board if you meet your army recruiter tomorrow because tomorrow is already september, you have to fill out a lot of paper work, order your transcript and DAT score (which will take around 2 weeks), and schedule for MEPS (some recruiter is slow with this) and then if you happen to fail meps, that could take another 1 month. get your official hand signed LORs in to recruiter (portfolio letters dont work here), then more time is needed for your recruiter to do other paper work (such as verification, history check up, criminal back ground check)

I see you goes to a small liberal art college Whittier, which is just right next to where I live LOL. You lost interest in the big university in so cal?
Hmmm, you are probably right, I shouldn't jump too far ahead and wait to see what the recruiter says tomorrow. It seems I have more time for the application then I thought.

Originally, I got accepted to Cornell and Columbia, yet unfortunately I never applied to USC, UCLA, or any other big universities around here. Well, there was no way I could afford those schools on the east coast and there were few schools I applied to in California, so the most cost-effective option for me was to go to Whittier (I only applied because my aunt went there).

Thank you for replying to my posts by the way. Honestly, you are the person who has given me the most information about this process, so thanks! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just talked to Army recruiter and I was asking when I can get into MEPS. He said he is still waiting on clearance, any clue what he means and how long it takes? He hasn't responded

I think it means they do a background check type thing. And make sure all your initial paperwork is in order. It took me about a month till I was cleared to go to MEPS

Just talked to Army recruiter and I was asking when I can get into MEPS. He said he is still waiting on clearance, any clue what he means and how long it takes? He hasn't responded

each MEPS for each person cost around 500-600$ if you don't believe it, it is true. I didn't believe this at first but given the quality of the exam, it is true. Thus, they want to make sure you dont have any pre-disqualifier first before sending you in.

I think it means they do a background check type thing. And make sure all your initial paperwork is in order. It took me about a month till I was cleared to go to MEPS

really? 1 month? that is a very long time. My recruiter took 1 week only. based on what I put on the criminal background check.

Yeah well I need a medical so waiver so that's probably why.

Yeah well I need a medical so waiver so that's probably why.

Only thing on me is a few fractures from 10+ years ago that I surprisingly had to get docs for.

Yeah they need doctors notes for every little thing that has ever happened to you. Kinda annoying, but I understand why they are needed.

I met with my Army recruiter on Monday (8/31) and he said the first board is going to be Jan 1 with all paperwork and whatnot due in mid to late November. That's for non-early-acceptance. For early acceptance to their HPSP program (meaning, you can get a provisional offer of the scholarship WITHOUT yet having an acceptance to dental school) they require a 19+ DAT with 3.6 or higher GPA. If you don't have that, you can't go up for board review before Jan 1.

As far as the Navy goes, yes, the 22 DAT is required for early acceptance - if you don't have that, you can't go to board until December or January. Deadline for December board is Dec 1, so assuming you get an acceptance on Dec 1, you'd have to send that to your Navy recruiter that same day to be able to be considered for the December board. Even then, you'll have missed out on scholarships that have already been provisionally offered to those who applied to the early acceptance (with 22+ DAT) in the October and November boards. Out of ~65-75 scholarships, I would imagine about 15-20 will have already been provisionally given out by the time the December board rolls around.

hello,

yes urine blood height weight audio test vision test whole body test and exam by doctor for everyone

i lived 40 min away so i just drive there the night before but some stayed ar hotel

yes i failed weight and failed tape the first time. u have to know some trick to make yourself have a thick neck and thin waist through good sucking in and drop ur chin when they measure. second time i pass weight so no need for taping
How tightly do they tape? I mean, do they leave it pretty slack (making it more difficult) or do they pull it pretty taught? Do they say "Don't bulge your neck" or "Don't suck it in" or anything like that?

How tightly do they tape? I mean, do they leave it pretty slack (making it more difficult) or do they pull it pretty taught? Do they say "Don't bulge your neck" or "Don't suck it in" or anything like that?

depends on who u get. for me they dont say anything like that and does cut some slack

I was applying for the army and had my packet 90% ready to submit when my recruiter called me a couple of weeks ago to say that the army had frozen recruiting for the October board. Has anyone else had this experience?? I was applying for the 3 year HPSP.

I was applying for the army and had my packet 90% ready to submit when my recruiter called me a couple of weeks ago to say that the army had frozen recruiting for the October board. Has anyone else had this experience?? I was applying for the 3 year HPSP.

Same here. My packet was complete, transcripts were ordered, I had all my documents scanned, a couple of people were writing new LOR, and then I got a call saying that all the 3 year scholarships will be given to those on the OML from last year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that there will still be a few more scholarships after they are disbursed.

Yeah, I was told they're not doing their first board until Jan 1 and that they're considering moving all boards permanently back until February. My recruiter said they had too many people getting a provisional offer of the scholarship and then not actually getting into dental school, so there was too much time wasting going on. I am still under the impression that Jan 1 is the first board.

Yeah, I was told they're not doing their first board until Jan 1 and that they're considering moving all boards permanently back until February. My recruiter said they had too many people getting a provisional offer of the scholarship and then not actually getting into dental school, so there was too much time wasting going on. I am still under the impression that Jan 1 is the first board.

if you go back and read threads of last year, same thing happens and the army always decides to do first board in October (idk why before boarding occurs, this rumors always happens) for 4 year scholarships at least. for 3 year, this may be different.

but in addition to offering provisionally to applicants, they also have a really long OML (waitlist) so they can just take people off the wait list if there are some people that do not get into dental school

Last edited:

Well, it turns out I passed MEPS and my recruiter has gotten all of my paperwork and my background checks competed (my recruiter was very helpful and on top of the whole process). He's just waiting on me to turn in my motivational letter, so it looks like I might board in October after all. However, I just saw the earlier posts and the recruiting for the October board is "frozen" so to speak? I'll ask my recruiter about this and post any information he can give me.

Well, it turns out I passed MEPS and my recruiter has gotten all of my paperwork and my background checks competed (my recruiter was very helpful and on top of the whole process). He's just waiting on me to turn in my motivational letter, so it looks like I might board in October after all. However, I just saw the earlier posts and the recruiting for the October board is "frozen" so to speak? I'll ask my recruiter about this and post any information he can give me.

I have everything in besides my MEPS which should be sometime next week. Looking to board in October as well, but please report back with what you find.

Its only frozen for new D1 applicants who wants the 3 year scholarships from what i understand

Reactions: 1 users

i think u and i have the same recruiting station for army. do you have captain shepherd? hoefer? hawthorne?

Okay so I am a little new to the military forums, but when is the best time to submit my application to the Airforce/Army HPSP?

Hahaha! Yep! Hoefer! :)
What gave it away?

no cuz of our same location so that makes sense. Yes, Hoefer is awesome. Very nice guy. So you are the "other" dental applicant thats boarding he's telling me about LOL.

hope we hear smth good in Oct and nov time.