Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any applicants this year had issues getting VMCAS to work? I keep getting this error:
after logging in. It lets me see parts of the application, but I can't actually change anything on them. Tried changing my password, clearing cache, changing browsers, etc. Have had a few emails with VMCAS and they can't seem to replicate the error, so we haven't figured out what to do yet. Just trying to see if anyone else here has had similar issues to see if there is a solution out in the wild. I made my vmcas account a few days before the application officially opened because I went to the website and the application was open, even though it wasn't supposed to be. It closed back down shortly after. I have a feeling this is the root of the problem, but really don't know.

Yes. I had this happen twice. I had already started my app and had put in a large amount of information, so I was freaked out. I tried all of the same solutions you did but nothing worked. Eventually it all came back but the system went down for maintenance in between and when it came back up, my stuff was all there.

I've also noticed that if I log off and try and log back in on the same screen, it gives me a login error. The only thing that seems to work for that (for me) is to close out of the browser completely and open back up in a new one.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has been asked before, because I read it several months ago, but now I can't find it. Where do CE (continuing education) credits go? I took a bunch of CE classes when I worked as a vet assistant, but don't know where to add those at. Awards? They have certificates of completion with them.

I know this has been asked before, because I read it several months ago, but now I can't find it. Where do CE (continuing education) credits go? I took a bunch of CE classes when I worked as a vet assistant, but don't know where to add those at. Awards? They have certificates of completion with them.
I had quite a few CE hours as well and listed mine under the awards category. I listed the veterinary conference under "name" and the clinic under "Organization". I then listed the hours I obtained and the full dates (1/18-1/23/year) in the "Description" box.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I had this happen twice. I had already started my app and had put in a large amount of information, so I was freaked out. I tried all of the same solutions you did but nothing worked. Eventually it all came back but the system went down for maintenance in between and when it came back up, my stuff was all there.

I've also noticed that if I log off and try and log back in on the same screen, it gives me a login error. The only thing that seems to work for that (for me) is to close out of the browser completely and open back up in a new one.
Logging out and logging in on the same tab gives me that error every time as well! It seems like it starts to work more often when I close out of the window then reopen it as you suggested. I'll include that in my next email to them because I'm sure there are other people who are getting that error as well.

I have a current work experience that isn't ending until next year. I assume that even though I know the end date, I still only enter the number of hours I have right now?

I have a current work experience that isn't ending until next year. I assume that even though I know the end date, I still only enter the number of hours I have right now?
Yep. VMCAS wants your hours up until you submit and doesn't want you to guesstimate any future hours or enter future experiences that you have planned.

Yep. To add to what @SkiOtter said, you can still put the expected end date in VMCAS and you can explain in the description section if you feel you need to. If you think it's really important to your application, you can also explain further in the explanation section.

The explanation section is also helpful for things that haven't started yet- there's no place to put them under experience, but you can still let schools know about them that way. Some schools ask about updated hours in interviews or supplementals, too.

Reactions: 2 users
This is totally how I feel! Even though I've got some cool stuff from HS, I feel like it doesn't matter anymore. We'll see how I feel when I get to that part of the app.

I was a non-trad student (graduated high school in the mid 90s). Whether you include the awards from high school would depend on whether you received many since you graduated. Non of my working stiff years earned me the same kind of awards and accolades that I did in high school. No "Best Kennel Scrubber Ribbon" during my vet tech days or "Greatest Grant Writer" from my current employment.

I applied three times - the first time was almost purely to get the application review so I knew what I needed to do, after so many years out of school. The second time, I was waitlisted by my in state (WSU) and never got off the wait list. They did say that I needed more awards and extracurricular activities to be competitive. They explained that other students had pages worth of them; they recognized it was asinine, given my age and displacement from high school, but they also said it still made a difference. I felt ridiculous scrolling through my old yearbooks to try and jog my tired memory when I reapplied this year, but I also got accepted. Who knows if that's what made the difference - but it's worth rolling your eyes and adding that Piano recital reward from Freshman year, if you've got it!

For transcript entry, should we put all the classes we're planning on taking senior year or just the prerequisites for schools? I have registered for fall semester, but I only know two of the classes I'm taking in the spring.

For transcript entry, should we put all the classes we're planning on taking senior year or just the prerequisites for schools? I have registered for fall semester, but I only know two of the classes I'm taking in the spring.
PUT everything you know of, they like to see you're still doing rigorous coursework.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else finding it a challenge to personalize the 3 prompts in the VMCAS application (compared with the personal statement that they did away with)?
I am having a huge issue with that. 1,000 characters with spaces is like nothing

I'm new to SDN and not totally sure I'm doing things right, but for extracurriculars that don't really have a supervisor or experiences so old where supervisors are no longer working there, what did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm new to SDN and not totally sure I'm doing things right, but for extracurriculars that don't really have a supervisor or experiences so old where supervisors are no longer working there, what did you guys do?

List experiences and list supervisors/people you work with/hired you. Don't HAVE to say yes to "can we contact these people".

I went ahead and listed them anyways and I even checked off that it was fine to contact them. I figured worst case scenario is they call and ask for so and so and then are told so and so doesn't work there anymore.

In the case of experiences that no supervisor or anything like it, I put "none". This was the case for a couple of extracurriculars I put down like writing.

I am having a huge issue with that. 1,000 characters with spaces is like nothing
I have a question about this as well. Did VMCAS get rid of the personal statement? I only see these three questions but no where to upload the essay. The upload link is supposed to be under supporting information, but I do not see it. Does anyone know?

I have a question about this as well. Did VMCAS get rid of the personal statement? I only see these three questions but no where to upload the essay. The upload link is supposed to be under supporting information, but I do not see it. Does anyone know?
Yep they changed it this year from the long PS to the three short questions. I can't remember when they announced that.

"There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?"

I have several interests but feel I"m not experienced enough in any of them to make a concrete decision one way or another. Is this acceptable to say? I don't want to seem wishy washy, but I really am open to learning and seeing where it takes me once I'm in vet school. I have some "leanings" but I'm not dead set on anything. Thoughts?

"There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?"

I have several interests but feel I"m not experienced enough in any of them to make a concrete decision one way or another. Is this acceptable to say? I don't want to seem wishy washy, but I really am open to learning and seeing where it takes me once I'm in vet school. I have some "leanings" but I'm not dead set on anything. Thoughts?

Obviously interests change over the years so this isn't a contract locking you into one part of the field. Why do you have the leanings you do? What past experiences do you have? Try not to regurg your resume, but don't try to do some grand manifesto -- talk about you and your experiences that influence those leanings.

At least that's what I gather from it, but I could also be way off base, I'm not an adcom person. Just some rando on a forum.

These vmcas glitches are so frustrating. My account still glitches up every time I log in, and now it's not even showing the login page lol. "The 2017-2018 VMCAS application cycle will open on May 11, 2017." Hopefully someone in support figures it out before I head out of the country next month as I am planning on submitting as soon as I get back.

I'm guessing most adcoms want to see that you've put some thought into becoming a veterinarian, and not just that you like animals or that it's what you've always wanted to be. So you can write that you're undecided, but you should also be able to discuss the areas you're thinking of and why. I know they don't give you much space to do this for one single goal, let alone a few choice paths. Good luck!

Piggy-backing on the excellent responses because I have sat on an adcom for a different type of program which had the exact same question as a prompt (what are your career goals within your chosen concentration and why?). In addition to wanting to make sure people had thought it through, we also wanted to see that people were realistic with their expectations of the field itself. There were some people with very....interesting...takes on what they could do with the degree which mostly boiled down to inflated views of what they could do right out of school. Adcoms want to accept people they believe will be successful not only in classes, but also within the field 5, 10, 20 years from now. Some statements we saw read as though the person had really romanticized the field or thought they were going to get a dream job right off the bat - we felt like those people would probably be pretty let down by the realities of working their way up and might burn out of the profession before they even got started. If you have a veterinarian (either here or IRL) that you feel comfortable asking to review it, it would be nice to make sure that your goals read as realistic - even if you feel confident that they are, having someone else make sure that they come across that way in writing may also be helpful. I might be projecting, but this is the number one reason that we scored someone poorly for this question.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else feel weird writing the three questions versus the old one of incorporating them all into one essay? I keep feeling like there's no real flow to my answers and having limited characters to work with and split it up into three different segments makes my answers feel choppy.

To the c/o 2022 hopefuls, sonvric began a thread to address only VMCAS talk, so would you all like to keep it and try to ask all questions and keep ranting about the process in that thread, or do you wish to keep everything in this thread? My class had its own thread for VMCAS and it was nice to not have to sift through other talk to get info quickly, but everyone is different. Poll in the VMCAS c/o 2022 thread.

VMCAS c/o 2022

Hi guys. I'm reading over all these responses, trying to catch up. I realized someone said that for experiences, we should be entering them in order of when they were completed. Is this completely necessary? I had already started inputting experiences but not in a particular order. :(

Additionally, for descriptions on these experiences, what is the consensus for bullet points vs completed sentences?

Hi guys. I'm reading over all these responses, trying to catch up. I realized someone said that for experiences, we should be entering them in order of when they were completed. Is this completely necessary? I had already started inputting experiences but not in a particular order. :(

Additionally, for descriptions on these experiences, what is the consensus for bullet points vs completed sentences?

Are they still instructing you to put most recent first? If so, I would follow that direction and my recommendation is that you actually work out your experiences in a separate document or spreadsheet and only add them to VMCAS once you're sure you have everything and in the correct order.

As for descriptions, I think the consensus is that both bullet points and complete sentences are fine. Just be consistent about whatever you choose to use. The content is going to be more important than how you decided to format it.

Hi all! I love the forums they have been so helpful so far in the process. I have a rather particular question though. My father is a veterinarian and I have only really worked with him for basically all of my vet experience. I know I have to get a LOR from a vet and I also know that it is frowned up to have a relative write the LOR. So I was wondering what suggestions y'all might have.. thank you

Hi all! I love the forums they have been so helpful so far in the process. I have a rather particular question though. My father is a veterinarian and I have only really worked with him for basically all of my vet experience. I know I have to get a LOR from a vet and I also know that it is frowned up to have a relative write the LOR. So I was wondering what suggestions y'all might have.. thank you

does your dad work at a single-doctor practice or does he have other vets working with him as well? if he has coworkers you could ask one of them, even if you've never *directly* worked with them i'm sure having you around over the years they've gotten to know you and observed you during your time at the practice

How are you guys approaching this third prompt?

"Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?"

I listed out 5 attributes that are most important based on my experiences, but don't really know how to approach the part of the prompt where I have to discuss which ones I possess. I feel as if I hold all of them to at least some degree, but I don't have enough characters to describe why that is for every, single one and don't feel that would be wise considering that some of them are more of a strength for me than others. On the other hand, I'm anxious about only choosing the characteristics that are my biggest strengths because in my mind, that gives off the impression that I don't possess the other attributes at all (unless I maybe acknowledge that I'm working on improving those?) Is anyone else having these difficulties with this prompt?

How are you guys approaching this third prompt?

"Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?"

I listed out 5 attributes that are most important based on my experiences, but don't really know how to approach the part of the prompt where I have to discuss which ones I possess. I feel as if I hold all of them to at least some degree, but I don't have enough characters to describe why that is for every, single one and don't feel that would be wise considering that some of them are more of a strength for me than others. On the other hand, I'm anxious about only choosing the characteristics that are my biggest strengths because in my mind, that gives off the impression that I don't possess the other attributes at all (unless I maybe acknowledge that I'm working on improving those?) Is anyone else having these difficulties with this prompt?

Maybe have a sentence saying that you feel you possess these 5 traits in varying degrees and then something like "Most importantly, I feel like my strengths lie in X & Y...." and expand on those. I'd think its fine to just mention you feel like you have all of those attributes, but just expand on a few of them you think are most important to you.

Also as an aside, I felt the easiest way to write personal statements/supplemental prompts last year was to not even worry about the character limit and write what I wanted to say. Then I'd go back and massively edit it down from there.

Maybe have a sentence saying that you feel you possess these 5 traits in varying degrees and then something like "Most importantly, I feel like my strengths lie in X & Y...." and expand on those. I'd think its fine to just mention you feel like you have all of those attributes, but just expand on a few of them you think are most important to you.

Also as an aside, I felt the easiest way to write personal statements/supplemental prompts last year was to not even worry about the character limit and write what I wanted to say. Then I'd go back and massively edit it down from there.
I'll have to give free writing it a go then. I think that will definitely help in expressing my ideas in a way that would allow me to pick and choose what I want in it once it's written down. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I am a c/o 2022/2023 hopeful! I'm taking a gap year as I still have to finish two pre-reqs, take the GRE, and gain more veterinary experience. I'm getting super nervous for it but I am also excited for the entire journey. I feel better knowing that you guys are also in the same boat as I am.

I'm mostly concerned because I've gotten a D in calculus and organic chemistry I but I have retaken those classes and gotten a B and an A. I just hate how most schools won't do a grade replacement and will just average them! :nailbiting:

Hey guys! I'm a first time applicant, c/o 2022 hopeful! I'm a Mississippi resident and my top choice is to attend Msstate (God bless instate tuition) but I'll also be applying to a few others. My GPA is fairly competitive, 3.6 overall and 3.8 last semester, but my GRE score ended up being lower than expected 155V/154Q 3.5 Writting. Trying to decide whether or not to retake it, thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Hi everyone! I am a c/o 2022/2023 hopeful! I'm taking a gap year as I still have to finish two pre-reqs, take the GRE, and gain more veterinary experience. I'm getting super nervous for it but I am also excited for the entire journey. I feel better knowing that you guys are also in the same boat as I am.

I'm mostly concerned because I've gotten a D in calculus and organic chemistry I but I have retaken those classes and gotten a B and an A. I just hate how most schools won't do a grade replacement and will just average them! :nailbiting:
That's great progress, though! You proved you can do well in those courses. That's really important, especially transforming your D in O Chem to an A. That's something tho be proud of. :D

Hey guys! I'm a first time applicant, c/o 2022 hopeful! I'm a Mississippi resident and my top choice is to attend Msstate (God bless instate tuition) but I'll also be applying to a few others. My GPA is fairly competitive, 3.6 overall and 3.8 last semester, but my GRE score ended up being lower than expected 155V/154Q 3.5 Writting. Trying to decide whether or not to retake it, thoughts?

What was your goal going into the GRE?

I think those scores sound fine considering you have a competitive GPA, but it depends on what the rest of your app looks like and how much the schools you're applying to weigh the GRE. I'd suggest looking at their stats for previous classes.

That's great progress, though! You proved you can do well in those courses. That's really important, especially transforming your D in O Chem to an A. That's something tho be proud of. :D

Thank you for the encouragement! You're right, I should be hopeful as I turned it around. I just get worried that it won't make my application as competitive as it averages out both of those grades. :(

Thank you for the encouragement! You're right, I should be hopeful as I turned it around. I just get worried that it won't make my application as competitive as it averages out both of those grades. :(
Apply to WSU! They do grade replacement and you can get IS tuition after your first year ;)

Anyone applying to Tuskegee?
I have them on my list but I'm still deciding because I don't have the Biochem lab requirement, it wasn't a required course on my degree sheet and it fills up fast at my school. The school looked really nice though

I have them on my list but I'm still deciding because I don't have the Biochem lab requirement, it wasn't a required course on my degree sheet and it fills up fast at my school. The school looked really nice though
If you don't have the lab, or you won't have it completed by the 15th of September, then I wouldn't recommend apply to Tuskegee. They want all required course to be completed when you submit your application to them

Hi everyone. I'm a 2022 hopefully applying to vet school for the first time.
Is there an essay where they allow you to basically "explain anything about your grades we should take into consideration?" Like there was for undergrad?
My last 45 are relatively ugly. I was hospitalized three different times, but refused to withdraw from college, and had two close ones pass on me.

Is the "science GPA" just the pre-reqs?

VMCAS has an explanation statement that you can use to detail that sort of thing... unless they got rid of that, too, but I doubt that they have. Keep your tone in mind when writing it.

As for whether or not the science GPA includes just the pre-read, that depends on the school. Where are you applying?

I haven't decided my two other schools since I'm pretty set on only one, but the Virginia Maryland CVM.
I am on the really low end of the overall GPA average for vet school, but my pre-req GPA is good, and I have a mass amount of experience with exotics, Wildlife, small animal, and large animal. Only thing I don't have is lab animal (what I really want to go into to start).

I haven't decided my two other schools since I'm pretty set on only one, but the Virginia Maryland CVM.
I am on the really low end of the overall GPA average for vet school, but my pre-req GPA is good, and I have a mass amount of experience with exotics, Wildlife, small animal, and large animal. Only thing I don't have is lab animal (what I really want to go into to start).
You don't have any lab animal experience, but that's what you want to do?? I would be very cautious about stating that on your application and in interviews.