Class of 2022 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I hear they get a lot of applicants. Do you know how long it takes them to respond after you submit and get verified?

After reading some posts here, it seems to be different for everyone. For me, when my app was fully verified and oat scores came in, it took them a week to get back to me in August. I was put on hold at that time. I retook the oat in January and sent them my unofficial scores and heard back within 2 days for an interview. After my interview, it took just over a week to get back to me. For me, their response times have been relatively quick.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just heard back from NECO this week and I applied in July. PCO is just a very long process! Their turn around time is a few weeks for each part of the process
I had a sub 3.0 gpa and 370 OAT and i got an interview pretty quick last fall at neco. (also pco was really fast for me idk why in ur situation). I had good extracurriculars and I felt the interview went very well. I was able to offer a reasonable explanation to my GPA and had a really good conversation with my interviewer.

Unless you have a legitimate, extenuating circumstance surrounding your gpa or you have some sort of outstanding work/research experience, I wouldn't have my hopes too high for that school. With many other schools I interviewed at, I felt they really just use the gpa/oat as an initial screen and evaluate you based more purely on how your interview is and how you present yourself as a potential optometry student (obviously you still need to be able to speak on ur gpa/oat). I was even able to get scholarships at other decent schools where my GPA was bottom 10%.

Anyways I'm waitlisted at neco but I was really disappointed to learn that they were still stuck on my GPA. If my GPA was an issue to begin with, they should've settled that first by sending me an email asking for a detailed explanation (like many schools did, I might add) before extending an interview.

I can't help but get the feeling that they want to cover their bases and make sure they get a lot of students on the waitlist so they can fill all their seats by day 1.

Do you guys know how full NECO is currently? I have my interview coming up this week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I hear they get a lot of applicants. Do you know how long it takes them to respond after you submit and get verified?
I'm from Canada and interviewed at the end of January and they got back to me within 2 weeks!

Hi did you do your interview at midwestern university. Would you mind sharing your experience about the interview and what kind of essay you were asked to write??
How long does it take for MCPHS to get back to you?
Thank you

Hey, how was your interview at midwestern?? Can you give me any advice please?

I just heard back from NECO this week and I applied in July. PCO is just a very long process! Their turn around time is a few weeks for each part of the process
Anybody know anything about PCO?
until when do they conduct their interviews? and if they are full yet or not

I think the last interview date is March 30th. I emailed them asking and they said theres no guarantee dates will become available after that date because the class and standby list may well be full.
I'm assuming theyre not full as of now? because they still have an entire month of interviews left

Reactions: 1 users

I think last cycle PCO interviews went into April/beginning of May, but I could be wrong... also around that time (judging from the forums) more people were being put on the standby list which means "you would've been accepted but the class is full"

Did anyone get put on hold for continuing secondary review before interview extension? How long do these schools take to reply, or is it a soft rejection?

I wanted to let people know a way/trick to estimate whether or not the class is full and how to see if spots may be available!!

so go onto facebook, most schools have a group for their class of 2022 (in this years case) search for that ..." SCCO Class of 2022" and see how many members have been added to the group, then go onto the schools website and see how many students their class' usually consist on and then you can do the math....example if average class size for SCCO is 55 students and they have 48 students in the Facebook group, either they are full or they might want to still fill 7 spots!

Hope this helps people out!!

Don’t assume exact numbers in all cases or any at all. 1-10, more or less, members may be admins or students from upper classes. But yes, this can give some estimates.

I wanted to let people know a way/trick to estimate whether or not the class is full and how to see if spots may be available!!

so go onto facebook, most schools have a group for their class of 2022 (in this years case) search for that ..." SCCO Class of 2022" and see how many members have been added to the group, then go onto the schools website and see how many students their class' usually consist on and then you can do the math....example if average class size for SCCO is 55 students and they have 48 students in the Facebook group, either they are full or they might want to still fill 7 spots!

Hope this helps people out!!

NECO interview went great! They got back to me within a week!. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been put on hold at ICO and still waiting for a decision? They have received my updated fall transcript but every i time i call them they still haven't made a decision and don't when they will let me know. Anyone in the same boat its so frustrating having to wait this long ugh

Does anyone know whens the latest ICO interviews till?

That's awesome to hear! Did PCO grill you about the numbers or were the questions evenly spread? Also how was the ICO supplemental?
Thanks! PCO had several questions about the numbers portion but I felt that my experience/motivation to pursue the field outweighed the unfavorable part of my application. The upward progression of my GPA also made it a little easier to answer as well. I actually didn't complete the ICO supplemental once I found out that I was accepted. Best of luck to you!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 01/30
Date verified: 02/25
OAT Scores: 310AA/300TS
Major: Human Biology Health & Disease
GPA: 3.31 cGPA,3.17 Science
Extracurricular Activities: Varsity Rugby, President of various clubs including student council and student government
Schools applied: ICO, MCPHS, Midwestern, NECO, NOVA, Salus, SCCO, SCO, SUNY, UCHO, Western
Interviews extended/date: ICO (3/1), MCPHS (3/1), NECO (3/3), NOVA (3/3), Salus (3/4), SCCO (3/10), Western (3/7)
Interviews accepted: NOVA (3/9), SCCO (3/31)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: SUNY
Acceptance/date: NOVA (3/15)

Applied to this cycle super late, and I only have 30 hours of Optometry experience, but somehow I made it! Don't be discouraged, if this is your dream its possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard back from NSUOCO that interviewed in February?

Thanks!

yes I heard back! what did you think about them?
They had their last run of applicants February 12-28. I interviewed on the 16th of February and have not heard anything. When did you interview? I thought it went well.
Thanks.

They had their last run of applicants February 12-28. I interviewed on the 16th of February and have not heard anything. When did you interview? I thought it went well.
Thanks.
I interviewed on February 21st and heard back last monday!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/05/2017
Date verified: 08/07/2017
OAT Scores: 290AA
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.36
Extracurricular Activities: Over 100 volunteer hours at a hospital, active volunteer with the university, shadowing, employed by 3 different companies
Schools applied: Western, ICO, UIW RSO, UHCO, MCPHS, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: KYCO (08/18), Western (09/22), ICO (12/26), MCPHS (01/16), UIW RSO (01/24)
Interviews accepted: Western (12/15), ICO (01/19), UIWRSO (02/02)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, KYCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (01/23), ICO (02/02) UIW RSO (02/07)

I was initially hesitant to share my own details on here BUT this post is to all those spending so much time on SDN and having doubts on their own application. My OAT was not great at all. Although scores do matter, they are not the only thing the Admissions Committee look at, truthfully. I believe my passion and dedication for the field of optometry was felt through my personal statement and proven by my numerous extracurricular activities.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me! I’d be more than happy to share my experience more in detail. Good luck to all that are in the process! It’s been a real blessing.

Reactions: 10 users
Extracurricular Activities: Over 100 volunteer hours at a hospital, active volunteer with the university, shadowing, employed by 3 different companies
Interviews extended/date: KYCO (08/18), Western (09/22), ICO (12/26), MCPHS (01/16), UIW RSO (01/24)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I was initially hesitant to share my own details on here BUT this post is to all those spending so much time on SDN and having doubts on their own application. My OAT was not great at all. Although scores do matter, they are not the only thing the Admissions Committee look at, truthfully. I believe my passion and dedication for the field of optometry was felt through my personal statement and proven by my numerous extracurricular activities.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me! I’d be more than happy to share my experience more in detail. Good luck to all that are in the process! It’s been a real blessing.
congratulations! have you chosen where you want to go?

Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

How come WUCO took almost a month to get back to you on your acceptance? I thought they said it's usually about 2 weeks after your interview that they'll let you know?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 01/30
Date verified: 02/25
OAT Scores: 310AA/300TS
Major: Human Biology Health & Disease
GPA: 3.31 cGPA,3.17 Science
Extracurricular Activities: Varsity Rugby, President of various clubs including student council and student government
Schools applied: ICO, MCPHS, Midwestern, NECO, NOVA, Salus, SCCO, SCO, SUNY, UCHO, Western
Interviews extended/date: ICO (3/1), MCPHS (3/1), NECO (3/3), NOVA (3/3), Salus (3/4), SCCO (3/10), Western (3/7)
Interviews accepted: NOVA (3/9), SCCO (3/31)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
SUNY
Acceptance/date: NOVA (3/15)

Applied to this cycle super late, and I only have 30 hours of Optometry experience, but somehow I made it! Don't be discouraged, if this is your dream its possible.
Did you decline Western's interview?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 03/12/18
Date verified: 03/15/18
OAT Scores: 340 AA, 350 TS
Major: Optometry
GPA: 4.00 (post bacc)
Extracurricular Activities:
Worked as an optometrist in South Korea for 2 years, had 20 hours of shadowing, volunteer for vision screenings, received a prize in the Varilux Idea Contest
Schools applied:
NOVA (03/13/18)
Interviews extended/date: NOVA(3/27/18)
Interviews accepted: NOVA(04/02/18)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NOVA(04/05/18)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
When does NECO stop interviewing this cycle?

Date OptomCAS submitted: Sometime in mid November
Date verified: A few days later ; BUT I had my application be put on hold for all schools because I wanted to retake my OAT
OAT Scores: 270/300 (took this in November). Retook it in February (280/300). Not great... I know. I wasn't able to dedicate the average 2-3 months studying like most people.
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.1 Major, 3.5 Sciences
Extracurricular Activities: Nothing too extravagant... just did a few things that I was passionate about
Schools applied: SCCO, Midwestern (Arizona), WUCO
Interviews extended/date: All these schools received my application mid March. I received an interview at WUCO a few days later. Finally got an interview extended to me in early April for Midwestern and SCCO.
Interviews accepted: WUCO
Interviews declined: SCCO, Midwestern
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: 3/21 (WUCO)

WUCO has honestly been my top choice ever since I started researching about Optometry schools. I know it's not everyone's top choice, but the newer facilities and their passion for inter-professional relationships really stood out to me... Plus, I live in California and ideally would like to stay here and it had the cheapest tuition compared to SCCO.
I hope this gives everyone hope for the next cycle -- you are more than just your numbers! I really did not have time to study for the OAT and it had been YEARS since I last took some of the science classes. Overall, I was honestly surprised I was even extended an interview from SCCO (and Midwestern), but I had already been accepted to my top choice so I had to decline. Good luck to everyone who's still applying and/or planning to apply next year!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/31/2017
Date verified: 12/21/2017
OAT Scores: 300 AA/ 310 TS
GPA: 3.10
Extracurricular Activities: 9 yrs of work experience in the optometry field, 94 hrs of volunteer work (non optometry related), 1,588 hrs of shadowing optometrist and ophthalmologist.
Schools applied: ICO, Midwestern Arizona, Midwestern Chicago, NOVA, PCO, HCO, KYCO and Western.
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern Chicago (12/27/2017), Midwestern Arizona (01/05/2018), NOVA (01/08/2018), Western (01/19/2018).
Interviews accepted: NOVA (01/12/2018), Midwestern Chicago (01/22/2018), Midwestern Arizona (02/09/2018), Western (02/16/2018)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: None
Acceptance/date: NOVA (01/19/2018):soexcited:
After my acceptance at NOVA, I cancelled the upcoming interviews and withdrew my application from all schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/13/17
Date verified: 7/18/17 but my letters didn't come in until 8/5/17 and OAT didn't get verified until 8/28/17
OAT Scores: 330 both
GPA: 3.08
Extracurricular Activities: Research, shadowing/intern (100+ hours), pre-optometry club leadership, optometric assistant
Schools applied: SCCO, Berkeley, WesternU, ICO, PUCO, Midwestern, UIW
Interviews extended/date: ICO (9/6), WesternU (9/15), UIW (10/17), SCCO (12/6), PUCO (9/?), Midwestern (10/3)
Interviews accepted: WesternU, SCCO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
WesternU (9/28), SCCO (12/19)

As soon as I got accepted to Western, I cancelled all my out of state interviews. For Berkeley I didn't pay the supplemental fee.
I'll be attending SCCO this year!! :3

Let me see if I remember this all...

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/29/2017
Date verified: 10/6/2017
OAT Scores: 350AA/ 340TS
Major: Human Physiology
GPA: 3.2 science and 3.2 cumulative
Extracurricular Activities: Club Rowing team, work experience in optometry office, undergraduate TA for anatomy lab and exercise physiology, job on campus as a tutor
Schools applied: UMSL, SUNY, ICO, MWCCO, MWAzCO, Western, PUCO, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: all of above
Interviews accepted: all of above
Rejections/date: SUNY (in late 2017)
Acceptance/date: the rest of them, ranging from december-feb, but currently have a seat held at Pacific, still waiting to hear from SCCO (on alternate list and have send LIO), if not, I'll be at Pacific come August. If anyone else is on the waitlist at SCCO are you as stressed as I am?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/18/2017
Date verified: 09/22/2017
OAT Scores: 280 AA, 280 TS
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: 80 hours of unpaid shadowing, Technician for 2+ years, UNICEF, MedX, etc.
Schools applied: PCO, Midwestern-Downers Grove, NOVA, PUCO, MCPHS, UIWRSO, SCO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (09/21), NOVA (09/24), Midwestern (09/21), PUCO (09/29), MCPHS (10/26), UIWRSO (10/26)
Interviews accepted: PCO (10/3), Midwestern (10/2), NOVA (10/7) - Cancelled, PUCO (10/20)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO, MCPHS
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (10/20), PUCO (10/25)

I'll be attending PUCO!
Super surprise they even gave me an acceptance.
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Do you mind sharing your scores broken down by subject? And possible percentile?

This is quite late but I have a very non-traditional application so I just wanted to share

Date OptomCAS submitted: October 18th
Date verified: October 24th
Major: Psychology
GPA: C: 3.56/ S: 2.92
OAT Scores: Dec 30th (AA: 300/TS: 260) Retake - April 30th (AA: 290/TS: 260)
Extracurricular Activities/App: 4 pretty solid letters of req (1 optometrist/employer/2 professors), strong personal statement, Secretary for a club, Vice President of Pre-Optometry Club, Tutor for 4 years, research assistant for a semester, Shadowed for 18 hours
Schools applied: ICO, Midwestern-Downers Grove, PCO (App submitted Feb 18th)
Interviews extended/date: ICO (Dec 5th), CCO (Feb 5th), PCO (March 8th)
Interviews accepted: All
Rejections/date: ICO -- Got back to me 2 weeks after interview letting me know that basically I had an acceptance if I retook my OAT and got atleast a 300 TS. I requested they push back the OAT deadline for me from Feb to April so I can retake it after 90 days and they agreed. However, wasn't able to get my scores higher.
Waitlist: CCO (Feb 12th), PCO- Standby List (March 14th)
Acceptance/date: CCO (May 2nd), PCO (June 5th)

This application cycle was a very very long and rough one for me. I was very late and remained in the cycle till the very end. However, I am really happy with my decision as CCO was my first choice! I really think what got me the acceptance was a letter of intent I sent to CCO a couple weeks before my acceptance (April 19th). ICO also really appreciated my letter of interest but said the adcom couldn't compromise on scores. All the interviewers commented on my personal statement being unique, and I truly think it was me as an applicant vs my stats that got me in. So don't loose hope if your stats are on the lower end!!! You can do it!!!! If you're on the waitlist I truly think constant updates and communication via phone calls, emails etc really makes a difference! Feel free to message me with questions and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I hope this page still gets looked at every now and then...
basically I was placed on a waitlist for the Scholars program at Salus University but was accepted into the traditional program. Does anyone think it would be wise for me to give up my seat in the traditional program and then re-apply this cycle for a spot in the Scholars program?

I hope this page still gets looked at every now and then...
basically I was placed on a waitlist for the Scholars program at Salus University but was accepted into the traditional program. Does anyone think it would be wise for me to give up my seat in the traditional program and then re-apply this cycle for a spot in the Scholars program?

What's your reasoning for wanting to be in the Scholars program? Basically you'd be giving up the opportunity to be an OD at the end of 4 years for the chance to be an OD at the end of 4 years.

What's your reasoning for wanting to be in the Scholars program? Basically you'd be giving up the opportunity to be an OD at the end of 4 years for the chance to be an OD at the end of 4 years.

Hey Koonsaar! The idea of paying 3 years of tuition and the student faculty relationship had me hooked on the idea!

Date OptomCAS submitted: JULY 7TH
Date verified: JULY 12TH
OAT Scores: 300 AA, 310 TS
GPA: 3.46
Extracurricular Activities: Undergraduate Research, UGA Pre-Optometry Club Secretary, Biology Peer Learning Assistant, Biology Teaching Assistant, 72 Hours of Shadowing, UGA 9th Grade Visit Tour Guide, Chick-fil-a Half Marathon Volunteer, UGA Science Olympiad Volunteer, Elementary School Science Fair Judge, UGA Snelling Dining Hall Employee.
Schools applied: UAB, SCO, NOVA, ICO, Midwestern-Chicago, MCPHS, Salus, Western U., UIW Rosenberg, and Northeastern State- Oklahoma.
Interviews extended/date: NOVA(07/26), UAB(07/31), ICO (08/01), Salus (08/09), Midwestern-Chicago (08/21), MCPHS (10/17), UIW Rosenberg (02/13/2018)
Interviews accepted: NOVA (08/14), ICO (08/21), UAB (09/08)
Interviews declined: Salus, Midwestern-Chicago, MCPHS, UIW Rosenberg
Rejections/date: NOVA (08/17/2017), SCO (03/28/2018, application denied)
Acceptance/date: ICO (9/11/2017), UAB (9/22/2017)

Attending UAB with merit scholarship
Why was your application for SCO denied?

I was trying to calculate my science gpa, but I'm not sure which courses to include? I know theres multiple gpa's generated but from everyone's post here, I was wondering which gpa they're posting for science, is it the BCP or something? Also for example will physics be included? I called optomcas and I still wasn't able to get a clear answer.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/01/18
Date verified: 08/08/18
OAT Scores: 290 AA 290 TS (BIO: 310 GC: 320 OC: 300 RC:300 PHYS: 260 QR:270)
Major: Neuro
GPA: 3.21 Cumulative 2.96 Science
Extracurricular Activities: 7 years opto tech (30-40 patients a day), Uppercouncil/2 years opto club, shadowed 5 OD's, Opto-Camp at Berkeley, Volunteer experience
Do you think I have the chance to get in this round? Still applying... Can't take my OAT again because I am returning to full time for the fall and spring semester! Thanks guys!
I say go ahead and apply

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/16
Date verified: 08/18
OAT Scores: 330 AA and 330 TS
Major: Biomedical Sciences and Masters in Biology
GPA: 3.00 overall / 2.955 science (Took many post-bacc courses afterward)
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing (200+ hours), Volunteering (local, school, church and Optometry), Work experience (3 years - IT consultant)
Schools applied: SCCO, Western, MCPHS, ICO, Midwestern (Chicago), Pacific, Salus, NOVA, Missouri
Interviews extended/date: SCCO, ICO, Midwestern (Chicago), Pacific, NOVA
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Any updates? I still have the yet to take the OAT but our stats are very similar.

Thank you. Took it about 3 days.
Hey, Congrats on your acceptances! I have an interview at Midwestern Chicago soon and was wondering about the interview and if it was open or closed file and how difficult it was? Thank you so much!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/18/2017
Date verified: 09/22/2017
OAT Scores: 280 AA, 280 TS
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: 80 hours of unpaid shadowing, Technician for 2+ years, UNICEF, MedX, etc.
Schools applied: PCO, Midwestern-Downers Grove, NOVA, PUCO, MCPHS, UIWRSO, SCO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (09/21), NOVA (09/24), Midwestern (09/21), PUCO (09/29), MCPHS (10/26), UIWRSO (10/26)
Interviews accepted: PCO (10/3), Midwestern (10/2), NOVA (10/7) - Cancelled, PUCO (10/20)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO, MCPHS
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (10/20), PUCO (10/25)

I'll be attending PUCO!
Super surprise they even gave me an acceptance.
Hi! Congrats on your acceptances! Hope school is going well, I have an interview at Midwestern Chicago October 1st and was wondering about the interview process and if it was open or closed file and how difficult it was? Thank you!!