Class of 2022 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had one last weekend. I sent my application around the 13th of November. They got back to me in 2 weeks right after Thanksgiving. I had my interview on Dec. 9th, now I am waiting to hear back from them. I had to look onto the portal that they have portal.msphs.edu to see that I was ready to schedule my interview. They didn't tell me through an email. So I would check on that site to see if it says your ready to schedule.

So you're interview was in Dec 9th and you heard back already?

Members don't see this ad.

So you're interview was in Dec 9th and you heard back already?

I heard back today but I reached out. They said they sent out letters today for people who interviewed around that time and we should get them by the end of the week. They did tell me I was accepted though!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/18/17
Date verified: 11/30/17
OAT Scores: 360AA/380TS
Major: Honours Life Science
Minor: n/a
GPA: 3.7
Extracurricular Activities: Optometric technician at two different clinics, job shadowing (70+ hrs), vision care and eye surgery missions trip, various leadership roles in campus clubs, student accessibility services notetaker, campus tour guide, running races, etc.
Schools applied: UWaterloo, ICO, SUNY, NECO
Interviews extended/date: 12/01/17 (NECO), 01/04/17 (SUNY), 01/04/17 (PCO)
Interviews accepted: 12/08/17 (NECO), 01/13/18 (UWaterloo)
Interviews declined: 12/14/17 (SUNY), 12/20/17 (PCO)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 12/13/17 (NECO)

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/17/2017
OAT Scores:
330 AA/ 320 TS
Major: Medical & Molecular Biology, Minored in Nutrition
GPA: 3.80
Extracurricular Activities:(Brief description) Optometric technician at 3+ clinics, a LOT volunteer hours, Pre-Optometry society VP, various club activities in undergrad
Schools applied: SUNY, NECO, PCO/Scholars, NOVA, UHCO, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: NECO (7/26), SUNY (8/2), NOVA (11/30, a little late because there was a mess-up with their system and I never received their invitation until nov.), UHCO (7/29), MCPHS (10/31)
Interviews accepted: NECO, SUNY, PCO/Scholars
Interviews declined: UHCO, MCPHS, NOVA
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO, SUNY, PCO/Scholars

Most likely am attending PCO Scholars, if anyone else is thinking about it, please feel free to send me a message! (for those that are accepted too!)

During your academic review, were there any questions about your grades that stumped you??
Hey! I was just wondering.. what undergraduate school did you graduate from? Thanks!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/24/2017
Date verified: 10/30/2017
OAT Scores: 330AA/330TS
Major: Biology
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing 20+ hours at private practice. Working as a optometric technician 1+ year at private group practice. Member of Pre-Optometry Association. Leadership roles in VSA/camps. Volunteer at Food Bank/St. Vincent de Paul/Animal Shelter 50+ hours. Vacation Bible School Leader for two summers.
Schools applied: UHCO, UIWRSO, SCO, UAB
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (10/31), SCO (10/31), UAB (11/16).
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/8), UIWRSO (12/15)
Interviews declined: UAB
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (12/13), UIWRSO (12/18)

I have not made the final decision on where to attend. Anyone else waiting to hear back from UHCO?

GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing 20+ hours at private practice. Working as a optometric technician 1+ year at private group practice. Member of Pre-Optometry Association. Leadership roles in VSA/camps. Volunteer at Food Bank/St. Vincent de Paul/Animal Shelter 50+ hours. Vacation Bible School Leader for two summers.
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (12/13), UIWRSO (12/18)

I have not made the final decision on where to attend. Anyone else waiting to hear back from UHCO?
Holy crap are u from houston???

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/30
Date verified: 12/4
OAT Scores: 330 TS/350 AA
Major: Public Health
GPA: Overall: 3.5 / Science: 3.5
Extracurricular Activities: President of Pre-Optometry Club, ~100 hours of shadowing, Contact Lens Technician, Youth Group Coordinator
Schools applied: NECO, SALUS, SUNY, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/5), SALUS (12/6), SUNY (12/6) MCPHS (12/15)
Interviews accepted: SALUS (12/21), SUNY (1/10)
Interviews declined: NECO, MCPHS
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SALUS (1/3), SUNY (1/12)

I haven't made my final decision yet but I am pretty sure I will choose SUNY. Good luck to everyone who is still in the admission process!

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone who applied to SUNY, were you a member of your school’s prehealth committee if your school had one? My school had one, however I was never a member. And I know for SUNY they required a committee letter of recommendation so I didn’t apply there since I just had just gotten my LOR’s individually from professors. I’m a NYS resident though, so it would’ve been a cheaper school for me. Now I’m just curious as to if others had a committee letter.

For everyone who applied to SUNY, were you a member of your school’s prehealth committee if your school had one? My school had one, however I was never a member. And I know for SUNY they required a committee letter of recommendation so I didn’t apply there since I just had just gotten my LOR’s individually from professors. I’m a NYS resident though, so it would’ve been a cheaper school for me. Now I’m just curious as to if others had a committee letter.
I had a committee letter. Contact the school and let them know the circumstance!

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^

Oh wow. Yeah I just remember seeing on their website they required a committee letter, and if no such committee exists, to have a letter sent stating that. Interesting. Good for you guys though! I think it would be too hectic to live in New York City for me now that I really think about it lol.

i never really knew this. i only had 2 optometrist letters and 2 professor letters. didnt ask about any committee letter? i got accepted to SUNY as well!

Were both of your letters from professors you had for science or math?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/4/2017
Date verified: 11/9/2017
OAT Scores: AA 330, TS 330
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.29
Extracurricular Activities: Intern/dance coordinator/treasurer of a large cultural club at UCI, member of pre-optometry club, orientation staffer, mentor of campus mentorship program, staffer of Red Cross leadership camp for several years, worked at two optometry jobs as pre-tester, front desk associate, and medical testing/color vision testing technician for 12 months in total (ranging 12-36 hours a week), shadowed optometrist/ophthalmologist for 6 hours in total
Schools applied: Western, AZCOPT, SCCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: Western 11/17, AZCOPT 11/14, SCCO 11/15, ICO 12/13 (supplemental extended 11/21)
Interviews accepted: Western 12/1, AZCOPT 12/11, SCCO 12/18
Interviews declined: ICO. They received my supplemental materials by 11/24 and after waiting two weeks (Mid-December), I had to call them and ask for an update on the status of my application. Said they were going to possibly wait until after the Holidays to send out interviews (at this point I was speechless already)...then at the end of the same week they sent me an email saying they did not receive all my materials. I had to call them and explain that they sent an email confirming they got it. That night I got an invitation for interview, but after the whole mess and having gotten accepted to my top school by then, I declined.
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Western 12/8, AZCOPT 12/14, SCCO 12/19

AZCOPT and SCCO responded extremely quickly, especially SCCO! Will be attending MBKU

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/4/2017
Date verified: 11/9/2017
OAT Scores: AA 330, TS 330
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.29
Extracurricular Activities: Intern/dance coordinator/treasurer of a large cultural club at UCI, member of pre-optometry club, orientation staffer, mentor of campus mentorship program, staffer of Red Cross leadership camp for several years, worked at two optometry jobs as pre-tester, front desk associate, and medical testing/color vision testing technician for 12 months in total (ranging 12-36 hours a week), shadowed optometrist/ophthalmologist for 6 hours in total
Schools applied: Western, AZCOPT, SCCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: Western 11/17, AZCOPT 11/14, SCCO 11/15, ICO 12/13 (supplemental extended 11/21)
Interviews accepted: Western 12/1, AZCOPT 12/11, SCCO 12/18
Interviews declined: ICO. They received my supplemental materials by 11/24 and after waiting two weeks (Mid-December), I had to call them and ask for an update on the status of my application. Said they were going to possibly wait until after the Holidays to send out interviews (at this point I was speechless already)...then at the end of the same week they sent me an email saying they did not receive all my materials. I had to call them and explain that they sent an email confirming they got it. That night I got an invitation for interview, but after the whole mess and having gotten accepted to my top school by then, I declined.
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western 12/8, AZCOPT 12/14, SCCO 12/19

AZCOPT and SCCO responded extremely quickly, especially SCCO! Will be attending MBKU

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I unfortunately had a similar experience with ICO, I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/2/17

OAT Scores: 350 TS / 360AA

Major: Bio

GPA: 3.37

Schools applied: NECO, SUNY, ICO, UHCO

Interviews extended/date: NECO 11/6. SUNY 11/13

Interviews accepted: NECO 11/27. SUNY 12/4

Interviews declined:

Rejections/date:

Acceptance/date: NECO 11/29. SUNY 12/8

SDidn’t complete ICO supplemental after Getting accepted into NECO. UHCO hasn’t gotten back to me
Hey, congrats in the interviews!! Has uhco gotten back to u yet?

Hey guys! I was just wondering if the GPAs posted are the ones calculated by Optomcas or just straight from transcripts?

Hey guys! I was just wondering if the GPAs posted are the ones calculated by Optomcas or just straight from transcripts?
I believe everyone just goes with either or, so there may be mixed gpa sources here. I personally went with my optomcas gpa.

I would recommend Optomcas GPA. Some institutions (like mine) only calculates one GPA from courses taken at the school and doesn't count transfer grades.

Has anyone who interviewed at ICO last week heard back/called to find out their decision?

Has anyone who interviewed at ICO last week heard back/called to find out their decision?
I did, but I interviewed 2 weeks ago. They have the results ready

Hey everyone! I need some advice - I'm torn b/w SUNY O, MCPHS, and PCO.
I really liked the environment of MCPHS - everyone was so welcoming and the clinic is all in one building + the pre-clinic is open 24 hours a day which is amazing.
SUNY - The thing I don't like is that it's strictly optometry students. Since there are no other programs I feel like you're stuck in the same environment with all the same people....
PCO - They have the nicest pediatric clinic... Absolutely beautiful, although the clinic is not far it's a bit inconvenient that you have to travel.

Those are the only schools I applied too and now and stuck. Please share any comments :)

I really liked the environment of MCPHS - everyone was so welcoming and the clinic is all in one building + the pre-clinic is open 24 hours a day which is amazing.
SUNY - The thing I don't like is that it's strictly optometry students. Since there are no other programs I feel like you're stuck in the same environment with all the same people....
PCO - They have the nicest pediatric clinic... Absolutely beautiful, although the clinic is not far it's a bit inconvenient that you have to travel.

Those are the only schools I applied too and now and stuck. Please share any comments :)

Personally, I would narrow it down to SUNY and PCO. The things I’ve heard about MCPHS on and off of SDN is enough to steer me away from the program (such as purposefully failing students out, having had 5 different deans over the past few years, not accredited, etc).

Personally, I would narrow it down to SUNY and PCO. The things I’ve heard about MCPHS on and off of SDN is enough to steer me away from the program (such as purposefully failing students out, having had 5 different deans over the past few years, not accredited, etc).

MCPHS is accredited so that's not something I'm worried about. May I ask what else you have heard (and from who?)

I agree with skra7! I'm a fan of inter-professional education, but that's just me! I really like that quality from PCO + their clinic is great (as you pointed out)!! Of course the board scores are a little iffy for Part 1 but the faculty has emphasized that they're actively making changes to boost those scores! MCPHS initially was my #1 choice mostly because of the location...I've steered away from it after seeing their released board scores/the points skra7 mentioned above. Based on my research, I never saw anywhere that it was fully accredited...being an international student this was definitely a red flag for me!!

Reactions: 1 users
MCPHS is accredited so that's not something I'm worried about. May I ask what else you have heard (and from who?)
They are not accredited within their optometry program. They were on preliminary accreditation initially (Every new school is) and were supposed to have received full accreditation I believe 2017 but were instead placed on a warning until later this year.

If any current students there could shed some light on the situation I'd love to hear. Feel free to DM me

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/09/2017
Date verified: 10/10/2017
OAT Scores: 350AA/350TS
Major: Nutrition
Minor: Business of Healthcare
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: POPS, Shadowing, working, sorority, student conduct advisory committee, various random orgs
Schools applied: UHCO, SCCO, SUNY, NECO
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (10/17), NECO (11/16), SCCO (10/27), UHCO (10/24)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (1/4), NECO (11/17), SCCO (1/20), UHCO (1/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:

Acceptance/date: SUNY (1/5), NECO (11/29), SCCO (1/22), UHCO (1/23)
ATTENDING: UHCO! its been a dream

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with skra7! I'm a fan of inter-professional education, but that's just me! I really like that quality from PCO + their clinic is great (as you pointed out)!! Of course the board scores are a little iffy for Part 1 but the faculty has emphasized that they're actively making changes to boost those scores! MCPHS initially was my #1 choice mostly because of the location...I've steered away from it after seeing their released board scores/the points skra7 mentioned above. Based on my research, I never saw anywhere that it was fully accredited...being an international student this was definitely a red flag for me!!

Where do we find NBEO scores?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/25/2017
Date verified: 11/09/2017
OAT Scores: 380AA/400TS
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.85
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteers, shadows, research ...
Schools applied: NSUOCO, UHCO, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: NSUOCO (11/27), UHCO (11/27), UIWRSO (12/12)
Interviews accepted: NSUOCO (12/18), UHCO (01/22), UIWRSO (02/02)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO (declined after I got accepted to UHCO)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NSUOCO (12/19), UHCO (01/23)
Going to UHCO next fall

Reactions: 1 users
They are not accredited within their optometry program. They were on preliminary accreditation initially (Every new school is) and were supposed to have received full accreditation I believe 2017 but were instead placed on a warning until later this year.

If any current students there could shed some light on the situation I'd love to hear. Feel free to DM me

According to the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education, MCPHS is "Accredited with conditions," which is defined as "A classification granted to a program with major deficiencies or weaknesses with reference to the standards of accreditation. This classification indicates that the educational effectiveness of the program is in jeopardy."

https://www.aoa.org/Documents/students/od_directory_2017_11_27.pdf

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/25/2017
OAT Scores: 380AA/400TS
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.85
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteers, shadows, research ...
Schools applied: NSUOCO, UHCO, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: NSUOCO (11/27), UHCO (11/27), UIWRSO (12/12)
Interviews accepted: NSUOCO (12/18), UHCO (01/22), UIWRSO (02/02)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO (declined after I got accepted to UHCO)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NSUOCO (12/19), UHCO (01/23)
Going to UHCO next fall
who is dis did i meet you

According to the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education, MCPHS is "Accredited with conditions," which is defined as "A classification granted to a program with major deficiencies or weaknesses with reference to the standards of accreditation. This classification indicates that the educational effectiveness of the program is in jeopardy."

https://www.aoa.org/Documents/students/od_directory_2017_11_27.pdf

Thanks I didn't realize they were technically accredited. Still not good though along with the board scores. :(

Has anyone on here been accepted and is attending UAB in 2018? If so, is there a Facebook group or something for incoming students? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Anyone know if Nova is mostly filled up or are there plenty seats remaining? Im currently on hold.

Has anyone on here been accepted and is attending UAB in 2018? If so, is there a Facebook group or something for incoming students? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance! So there is a Facebook group. UABSO Class of 2022. If u have any trouble, just let me know.

Anyone know if Nova is mostly filled up or are there plenty seats remaining? Im currently on hold.

Hey! I don't know about how many seats remain, but I do know that they are still interviewing if that helps.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/3/17
OAT Scores: 300AA
Major: Human Physiology
GPA: 3.43
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteers, shadows, WISE, etc.
Schools applied: NSUCO, UMSL, ICO, IUSO
Interviews extended/date: UMSL (12/19), NSUCO (1/12), ICO (1/16), IUSO (1/26)
Interviews accepted: UMSL , NSUCO, ICO , IUSO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UMSL (12/19), ICO (1/19), IUSO (1/30)

I am torn between all three of my offering schools for different reasons. In general, I didn't "love" IUSO and it just didn't give me any reason to keep in the running. I did love ICO's facilities and school, but location in a huge city didn't seem like somewhere I want to be for 3+ years. I liked UMSL's small classes and they have a new clinic on campus with a few different other clinics in St. Louis. I would feel more comfortable in a smaller city, but I didn't think that UMSL's clinician skills were really praised. I have met tons of IUSO and ICO grads who loved both schools. Does anyone have any advice on any of these schools that could help me narrow down my decision?

I interviewed on 1/16 and heard back on 1/19, but my letter got lost in the mail for about a week before I actually got it. Not sure what happened there.

Congratulations on ur acceptance! I have exactly ur scores I applied to midwestern and I got interview. Would u mind sharing ur experience? Did they ask u about ur OAT scores? Did you hear back from them?
Thank you.
Hey Marwan...... Did you end up getting accepted in Midwestern?

It’s actually really relaxed. Its MMI so there’s really no way to prepare. There were a few rooms with a prompt on the door which you get 2-3 minutes to read and think about. Then you enter the room and speak to the interviewer about it for 5 minutes. The interviewers make you feel relaxed and comfortable. Also since there are like 10 other students with you there, the anxiety goes away as you start talking. There was a written prompt too so we had to write an impromptu essay pretty much; but it wasn’t bad at all and you get a lot of time. Overall it was a good experience.
Hey..... are you attending CCO?

GPA:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (12/13), UIWRSO (12/18)

Just wanted to update that I interviewed at UHCO on 2/5 and was accepted 2/8! Will be attending UHCO in the fall :)

Has anyone who interviewed at NECO last week heard back yet?

Congrats on your acceptance! Was there a particular reason why your PCO interview was a long wait after they extended an interview? Also how long after you applied did you hear back from NECO for an interview invitation? Thanks!
I just heard back from NECO this week and I applied in July. PCO is just a very long process! Their turn around time is a few weeks for each part of the process

Reactions: 2 users