Class of 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This isn't true for AZ, see below with what Caiter said. You will have to accept first and hope the state funds you. They often don't have the budget info until after the accept deadline and sometimes not until right before school starts.
Oh does AZ always approve the budget that late? I know my classmate had been under the impression they would tell her before, so she waited to accept until the deadline because she was hoping she’d hear before. Dang, that’s annoying they wait so long!

Members don't see this ad.

An undergrad classmate of mine from Wyoming applied to Oregon, Washington, and Colorado and was accepted to all three. But she wasn't sure about her WICHE standing until after she had to accept. So I believe she ended up picking Washington based on the fact that even if she didn't receive WICHE funding, it still would be the cheapest option in the long run.

Reactions: 2 users
An undergrad classmate of mine from Wyoming applied to Oregon State, Washington State and Colorado State and was accepted to all three. But she wasn't sure about her WICHE standing until after she had to accept. So I believe she ended up picking Washington State based on the fact that even if she didn't receive WICHE funding, it still would be the cheapest option in the long run.
FTFY :p

But also I know who this classmate is :laugh: and she is indeed in my class haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FTFY :p

But also I know who this classmate is :laugh: and she is indeed in my class haha

I was wondering if you knew her! One of my favorite people from undergrad. :D

That’s why youd prob want to choose the cheapest school for both IS or OOS prices. On the off chance that you don’t get the funding.

This is my exact problem right now. I love Midwestern’s program; and have been accepted, but WSU’s tuition (OOS and IS) are the cheapest of the schools I applied to; and I have been accepted to WSU.

I have been reading so many forums and I completely understand that when determining which school to attend, tuition is obviously such an important part (if not the most important part). But I also really love Midwestern’s program and it is closer to home (which means cheaper flights and/or I can drive back to New Mexico).

Midwestern said that if I receive wiche, they would get with WICHE immediately and make sure I have a decreased tuition. If it would decrease to like 30-35k or even 40k, that would really help me make my decision, but right now I have no idea what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

This is my exact problem right now. I love Midwestern’s program; and have been accepted, but WSU’s tuition (OOS and IS) are the cheapest of the schools I applied to; and I have been accepted to WSU.

I have been reading so many forums and I completely understand that when determining which school to attend, tuition is obviously such an important part (if not the most important part). But I also really love Midwestern’s program and it is closer to home (which means cheaper flights and/or I can drive back to New Mexico).

Midwestern said that if I receive wiche, they would get with WICHE immediately and make sure I have a decreased tuition. If it would decrease to like 30-35k or even 40k, that would really help me make my decision, but right now I have no idea what to do.

35-40k is still so so so so much more than WSU if you got wiche. Currently WSU is at 25k for the year for tuition if I’m reading their site right (it’s by semester so math). That’s a whole ten to fifteen THOUSAND dollars cheaper. Per year. That’s FORTY TO SIXTY THOUSAND dollars just in tuition costs saved. And then add interest onto that and you cry. Can almost guarantee housing is going to be way cheaper in Pullman than the Phoenix area. That’s a TON extra debt to take on just because it’s a bit closer home. Tbh the amount you’d save as wiche going to WSU vs getting reduced tuition at MWU, you could fly more expensive flights back and STILL be in less debt. You could take forty $1000 flights in those four years and still be in less debt because of lower living costs.

Just something to think hard about.

Reactions: 3 users
This isn't true for AZ, see below with what Caiter said. You will have to accept first and hope the state funds you. They often don't have the budget info until after the accept deadline and sometimes not until right before school starts.
Interesting. Maybe it has changed or last year was an off year because a few of my classmates got offers then got wiche confirmation before the deadline to accept.

What Ski said. ~$25k is what you would pay in tuition for the year. According to the AZ people on WICHE here at WSU whatever their state funding didn't cover they got a scholarship to make up the difference to bring them to IS tuition. I'm biased but I like WSU if you have questions please pm me I'd be more than happy to help. Also flights from Spokane to Albuquerque are approximately $260 while Phoenix to Albuquerque is still like $200. So definately not a huge difference. Yeah you can't really drive back but I hate driving more than 3 hours at a time to start with so yeah. Housing is cheaper here as well from what I understand from my AZ people. Depending on what you're looking for you can get by with housing for about $400/mo in Pullman. Less if you live across the border in Moscow ID. Average runs $500-600/mo. You can get a whole house for $1000-1500 if you really wanted. Even if ski's part about saving 40-60k doesn't make a difference the amount of interest accumulation at 6-7% on those loans should catch your eye. It's the part about taking out student loans that makes me want to cry the most.

Reactions: 1 users
35-40k is still so so so so much more than WSU if you got wiche. Currently WSU is at 25k for the year for tuition if I’m reading their site right (it’s by semester so math). That’s a whole ten to fifteen THOUSAND dollars cheaper. Per year. That’s FORTY TO SIXTY THOUSAND dollars just in tuition costs saved. And then add interest onto that and you cry. Can almost guarantee housing is going to be way cheaper in Pullman than the Phoenix area. That’s a TON extra debt to take on just because it’s a bit closer home. Tbh the amount you’d save as wiche going to WSU vs getting reduced tuition at MWU, you could fly more expensive flights back and STILL be in less debt. You could take forty $1000 flights in those four years and still be in less debt because of lower living costs.

Just something to think hard about.

I really do appreciate the points you brought up! I really do have to think hard about them!

What I also really have to think about it this:
I have visited MWU a few times and have done a lot of research on their program, and the fact that they start surgeries 2nd year is just something that draws me in immediately. I want to do shelter medicine so doing more surgeries sooner is important to me because it will benefit me later in my career. I heard from someone, I believe it was someone (possibly the dean or some other leader) at MWU, that a lot of students who graduate still need practice doing surgeries (this may be false) and the whole appeal with Midwestern is that students are ready to start surgeries that early (meaning 2nd year) because they are really prepared AND that by the time they graduate, they are excellent at surgeries. Then to add to that, there is also the mobile clinic at Midwestern which allows students to do extra surgeries and a friend of mine did her first cat neuter at the end of her FIRST QUARTER through this program.

I mean, to me, Midwestern has so much appeal.
Which then only complicates my decision in which school to attend. Also what complicates it is there is no guarantee of me receiving WICHE, so huge risk there if I was to accept at Midwestern.

I like WSU a lot because of tuition (obvi) and their pass/fail system, but I have yet to visit WSU (but I WILL early next year).

I am honored beyond belief to be given offers at two schools (especially since this is my first time applying), but I also want to make a decision on which school to attend that I feel will be the best fit for me. I feel bad that I am even having these questions and I really fear making the wrong decision.

I really do appreciate the points you brought up! I really do have to think hard about them!

I have visited MWU a few times and have done a lot of research on their program, and the fact that they start surgeries 2nd year is just something that draws me in immediately. I want to do shelter medicine so doing more surgeries sooner is important to me because it will benefit me later in my career. I heard from someone, I believe it was someone (possibly the dean or some other leader) at MWU, that a lot of students who graduate still need practice doing surgeries (this may be false) and the whole appeal with Midwestern is that students are ready to start surgeries that early (meaning 2nd year) because they are really prepared AND that by the time they graduate, they are excellent at surgeries. Then to add to that, there is also the mobile clinic at Midwestern which allows students to do extra surgeries and a friend of mine did her first cat neuter at the end of her FIRST QUARTER through this program.

Which then only complicates my decision in which school to attend. Also what complicates it is there is no guarantee of me receiving WICHE, so huge risk there if I was to accept at Midwestern.

I like WSU a lot because of tuition (obvi) and their pass/fail system, but I have yet to visit WSU (but I WILL early next year).

I am honored beyond belief to be given offers at two schools (especially since this is my first time applying), but I also want to make a decision on which school to attend that I feel will be the best fit for me. I feel bad that I am even having these questions and I really fear making the wrong decision.

Honestly getting a couple surgeries in your second year is not worth the extra $40k+ in cost of attendance. At all. You are going to be much better served saving that money, and potentially using it for things like a Humane Alliance externship.

It really is what you make of it. If you want to be comfortable with surgery before you graduate, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get there, even if your school does not directly provide you with high volume surgery experience.

Especially if you want to go into shelter med. Just being realistic, that's not the highest paying job in the vet med world, so the finances should be an even greater consideration.

Reactions: 9 users

It just seems crazy to me that I am this confused EVEN THOUGH I have been given two offers (thus far) on my first time applying. I feel bad that I am even having these questions and I really fear making the wrong decision.

We get to start doing surgeries after the end of the first semester assuming you pass your surgery course! Simple cat neuters to start for a while of course through our shelter club. Wet lab surgeries your first semester. Opportunities to do wet lab surgeries twice a week after the first semester if you wanted. Doing surgeries repetitiously is how you get proficient so that is partly on the student partly on the school as there are some schools with less opportunities. We also have a great partnership in 4th year with the shelter in Seattle to continue to get those experiences as you get closer to the end to build all of those skills. Our junior spay block partners with shelters in the area and help them that way. You will always need practice doing surgery after you graduate as there will be more advanced surgeries that you didn't get the opportunity of doing while in school for whatever reason so that's nothing that should discourage you. Plus there's ALOT more to being a doctor than just surgery especially in the shelter realm surgery will be only a small part of what your job entails.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Any accredited vet school should offer you the opportunities to get plenty of surgical experience to feel confident doing basic surgeries out of vet school. Seriously. If you want surgery experience early, just being a vet student opens doors for you to do that whether its through volunteering abroad with spay neuter trips or for local shelters or through surgery/shelter clubs etc and so on. If you want the experience and are motivated you can find ways to get the experience at any vet school. But that $40K in debt (which can get up to $45K or more just with interest during vet school) will follow you for years after graduation.

Reactions: 5 users
Could MWU even get their state to give their WICHE funding to them? Has MWU done that before? I can see WICHE not approving that, since MWU isn’t one of the WICHE schools.

I don’t think if someone is WICHE and funded they get that state funding no matter where they go. My understanding is they have to go to one of the WICHE schools.

Edit: jk, checked the WICHE site and MWU is the newest WICHE school. Interesting.

I’d still strongly encourage you to go to WSU over MWU unless you know for sure you have funding before you accept. And I want to say the difference in OOS and IS at WSU is $30k. Even 30k less, MWU will be more expensive than WSU in tuition. And I think the COL is higher there as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Could MWU even get their state to give their WICHE funding to them? Has MWU done that before? I can see WICHE not approving that, since MWU isn’t one of the WICHE schools.

I don’t think if someone is WICHE and funded they get that state funding no matter where they go. My understanding is they have to go to one of the WICHE schools.
It's brand new this cycle they are accepting WICHE funding so I've been told.

Reactions: 2 users
and the fact that they start surgeries 2nd year is just something that draws me in immediately

There are opportunities for this in every vet school. Maybe not in the direct cirriculum, but from clubs to contacts, there are second and even first years doing spays and neuters under the guidance of veterinarians. First years on our shelter rotations were doing neuters. The most common summer vet med picture I saw were people doing spays through externship opportunities.

It's truly what you make of it

Edit: jk, checked the WICHE site and MWU is the newest WICHE school. Interesting.

I’d still strongly encourage you to go to WSU over MWU unless you know for sure you have funding before you accept. And I want to say the difference in OOS and IS at WSU is $30k. Even 30k less, MWU will be more expensive than WSU in tuition. And I think the COL is higher there as well.

Yes, MWU is a wiche school.
I really think that what I need to do is just go visit WSU so that I can really make a good decision.

Because for the past 3 years I have been telling myself that MWU is my number one school.

I think that visiting WSU would help me figure out if it is somewhere I can really see myself living and attending.

*technically* you can do neuters first year at WSU. Just saying :whistle:

Though the shelter program MWU has is amazing. But that shouldn’t be the main thing you focus on, because you’ll get other opportunities like that.

If you get WICHE funding, sure, go to MWU. But know 40k extra IS a lot more when it’ll be 80k when you’re paying it back.

But when you have a much cheaper OOS offer if you don’t get funding, will regret not choosing it when you’re paying it back.

There are opportunities for this in every vet school. Maybe not in the direct cirriculum, but from clubs to contacts, there are second and even first years doing spays and neuters under the guidance of veterinarians. First years on our shelter rotations were doing neuters. The most common summer vet med picture I saw were people doing spays through externship opportunities.

It's truly what you make of it

I definitely agree with you!!
It will be what I make of it.
The program itself will definitely be what I make of it! Thank you!

Any accredited vet school should offer you the opportunities to get plenty of surgical experience to feel confident doing basic surgeries out of vet school. Seriously. If you want surgery experience early, just being a vet student opens doors for you to do that whether its through volunteering abroad with spay neuter trips or for local shelters or through surgery/shelter clubs etc and so on. If you want the experience and are motivated you can find ways to get the experience at any vet school. But that $40K in debt (which can get up to $45K or more just with interest during vet school) will follow you for years after graduation.

Thank you so much for your words of advice!!! I really appreciate that! I have thought about the debt portion, but I obviously really need to buckle down and think about it more.

We get to start doing surgeries after the end of the first semester assuming you pass your surgery course! Simple cat neuters to start for a while of course through our shelter club. Wet lab surgeries your first semester. Opportunities to do wet lab surgeries twice a week after the first semester if you wanted. Doing surgeries repetitiously is how you get proficient so that is partly on the student partly on the school as there are some schools with less opportunities. We also have a great partnership in 4th year with the shelter in Seattle to continue to get those experiences as you get closer to the end to build all of those skills. Our junior spay block partners with shelters in the area and help them that way. You will always need practice doing surgery after you graduate as there will be more advanced surgeries that you didn't get the opportunity of doing while in school for whatever reason so that's nothing that should discourage you. Plus there's ALOT more to being a doctor than just surgery especially in the shelter realm surgery will be only a small part of what your job entails.

Ooooh! This is really useful information!!! Thank you so much!! I actually didn’t know this about WSU!!! This is really great! Thank you!!!

I'm curious how Midwestern becoming a WICHE school affects AZ residents. Do they still qualify for WICHE since there is technically no public veterinary school in AZ (since Midwestern is a private school)? :thinking:

I'm curious how Midwestern becoming a WICHE school affects AZ residents. Do they still qualify for WICHE since there is technically no public veterinary school in AZ (since Midwestern is a private school)? :thinking:
So far they will still get WICHE, until U of A becomes a vet school if/when that happens

Honestly getting a couple surgeries in your second year is not worth the extra $40k+ in cost of attendance. At all. You are going to be much better served saving that money, and potentially using it for things like a Humane Alliance externship.

It really is what you make of it. If you want to be comfortable with surgery before you graduate, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get there, even if your school does not directly provide you with high volume surgery experience.

Especially if you want to go into shelter med. Just being realistic, that's not the highest paying job in the vet med world, so the finances should be an even greater consideration.

Really great points you brought up! Thank you!!

The thing with MWU (along with me feeling like I have to defend why I want to go there when people in my life ask me what school I want to go to, lol) is that when I have visited, they just sell it SO well. It’s the early surgery aspect, the curriculum as a whole, and where it is located that really draw me in.

But then again, Midwestern, for the past 3 years, has been THE school that I always figured I would be able to get in to. Maybe I like to think of it as my dream school because I always thought it would be the only school that would accept me. *sigh*

So when WSU accepted me, it was a bit of a blind side to me (sounds super stupid, I know).
Weird way to be flattered, am I right? Lol.

So far they will still get WICHE, until U of A becomes a vet school if/when that happens
It may be a while before U of A can get their veterinary program online - they have proposed some very huge differences from normal US veterinary programs that I think the AVMA wasn't entirely fond of

God, I hate when people say they’re going to go into 50k of extra debt because it’s their “dream school”
You don’t know what any school is actually like until you are a student and are taking classes.

Really great points you brought up! Thank you!!

The thing with MWU (along with me feeling like I have to defend why I want to go there when people in my life ask me what school I want to go to, lol) is that when I have visited, they just sell it SO well. It’s the early surgery aspect, the curriculum as a whole, and where it is located that really draw me in.

But then again, Midwestern, for the past 3 years, has been THE school that I always figured I would be able to get in to. Maybe I like to think of it as my dream school because I always thought it would be the only school that would accept me. *sigh*

So when WSU accepted me, it was a bit of a blind side to me (sounds super stupid, I know).
Weird way to be flattered, am I right? Lol.

I think it's pretty common to get stars in your eyes about one school or another. But on average...they're pretty much the same. Curriculum differences here, location differences there, but with few exceptions you are getting essentially the same education in whatever form that takes (we all have to take the same licensing exam after all). Once you've talked to enough people at enough different schools about it, you pretty much come to realize that no matter the trappings and details, vet school is hard no matter where you go, and everyone who graduates and passes the NAVLE becomes a vet, and what you do after that is up to you and the choices you have made in setting up your career along the way, not up to the school you went to. Vet school is 4 years, it is not your life, and the biggest impact that the school you go to will have down the road, the one that you can guarantee, is how much debt you'll be in. Everything else is kind of an amorphous idea of what vet school is until you are actually in it, and then it's over and you have the rest of your life. The debt is real.

Reactions: 6 users
God, I hate when people say they’re going to go into 50k of extra debt because it’s their “dream school”
You don’t know what any school is actually like until you are a student and are taking classes.
This pretty much sums up “dream schools” pretty well.
As someone who attended two vet schools, you're living in a fantasy world. You could tour a school 10 times over and still have a completely unexpected experience when attending. There is NO WAY to know the "climate" of a school until you attend that school. Even the climate between classroom and fourth year clinical rotations can be vastly different. Just because a school has "x" club doesn't mean it is super active or even providing what is needed. And just because a school offers certain "support groups" doesn't mean they'll be any good.

As one of those now graduated students who is staring down $350k in debt, I DO KNOW WHAT THAT IS LIKE. Holy effing hell PLEASE STOP recommending that people take on this level of debt to obtain some idealistic version of a "dream school" that is no more real than Mickey Mouse. It is actively destroying this profession and YOU are partly responsible for being ignorant of the impact your poor advice is having.

And stop acting as if you have any room to talk about the debt and suicide prevalent in this profession when you are clearly part of the problem.

Get a DVM degree then come back and advise these students about "dream schools". Except, you won't, you'd realize how horrible of a recommendation that truly is.

when I have visited, they just sell it SO well.

Keep in mind, that's the whole point of campus visits, especially if you've done private tours. They highlight the absolute best parts of programs as much as they can. While I've never lied or mislead people while giving tours, I do know the point to highlight what I like best about my school and try to get prospective students to see that.

It may be a while before U of A can get their veterinary program online - they have proposed some very huge differences from normal US veterinary programs that I think the AVMA wasn't entirely fond of

Dude, don't say such sacrilegious things to the Facebook group. Lol.

*technically* you can do neuters first year at WSU. Just saying :whistle:

Though the shelter program MWU has is amazing. But that shouldn’t be the main thing you focus on, because you’ll get other opportunities like that.

If you get WICHE funding, sure, go to MWU. But know 40k extra IS a lot more when it’ll be 80k when you’re paying it back.

But when you have a much cheaper OOS offer if you don’t get funding, will regret not choosing it when you’re paying it back.

Great, great points!
This is stuff I really do need to hear/think about!! I really appreciate you!

Ya until they threaten to sue and then, well, we know how the AVMA responds to that ;)

Reactions: 4 users
What kind of differences?
I can't remember all the specifics but the major things I remember from their plan was no teaching hospital (AVMA has already established they're chill with that), and it's supposed to run year round so students would be done with the program in 3 years instead of 4. I know some schools used to do that (mine included) back in like...the 70s. Feels like there's way too much breadth and depth of material now to do that without causing serious burnout.

I can't remember all the specifics but the major things I remember from their plan was no teaching hospital (AVMA has already established they're chill with that), and it's supposed to run year round so students would be done with the program in 3 years instead of 4. I know some schools used to do that (mine included) back in like...the 70s. Feels like there's way too much breadth and depth of material now to do that without causing serious burnout.
I couldn't imagine the burn out. Also I read something about they would accept a large amount and cut after year 1 like take the top 20%, plus the tuition they were proposing was rediculously cheap so we shall see what happens

I couldn't imagine the burn out. Also I read something about they would accept a large amount and cut after year 1 like take the top 20%, plus the tuition they were proposing was rediculously cheap so we shall see what happens
Eh idk about ridiculously cheap, last I saw it was in line with IS tuition at most schools (about 28k) and they were planning to have a few OOS seats that would be charged more
COE to reconsider University of Arizona's veterinary program

Of course one year less of tuition helps, but I would probably die

Eh idk about ridiculously cheap, last I saw it was in line with IS tuition at most schools (about 28k) and they were planning to have a few OOS seats that would be charged more
COE to reconsider University of Arizona's veterinary program

Of course one year less of tuition helps, but I would probably die

That's pry more accurate. Somewhere it was like 13k for the year and I was like how. I can't find it though so idk

Last edited:
At one point weren’t they trying to do a model more like the UK/Ireland schools where you start a program right after high school?

I believe they also had plans to recruit students straight out of high school for their program

Regarding the whole cheaper schooling discussion, there is great representation from WSU students and other students who side with going for cheaper tuition, which are ALL wonderfully valid points that I am so grateful for!
But Since this is the general thread, I really wonder what other MWU applicants who plan to/will attend MWU or MWU CVM students have to say about this conversation! Just wanted to put that out there. I would love to hear that side as well!

Go t ok the cheapest school. Right ski?
Regarding the whole cheaper schooling discussion, there is great representation from WSU students and other students who side with going for cheaper tuition, which are ALL wonderfully valid points that I am so grateful for!
But Since this is the general thread, I really wonder what other MWU applicants who plan to/will attend MWU or MWU CVM students have to say about this conversation! Just wanted to put that out there. I would love to hear that side as well!

Go to the cheapest school. Right ski?

At one point weren’t they trying to do a model more like the UK/Ireland schools where you start a program right after high school?

I believe they also had plans to recruit students straight out of high school for their program
Ah yeah that does sound familiar. I know there's a thread around here somewhere where we discussed it. But it looks like that's not the plan anymore anyway, they've walked it back so instead they're just talking about not requiring a bachelor's as long as the prereqs are completed.

Go t ok the cheapest school. Right ski?

Go to the cheapest school. Right ski?

Yes, but for students who are not going to the cheapest school (by choice), I would like to see that side of the story.

Yes, but for students who are not going to the cheapest school (by choice), I would like to see that side of the story.

It's just a joke between me and ski related back to another thread. I also want to know their side.

It's just a joke between me and ski related back to another thread. I also want to know their side.

Haha. I figured because I saw the post on that other thread. But I still wanted to just respond so that others will see that I am still interested in their opinions.

I can give the perspective of a friend of mine. He chose the school that he thought would be the best for what he wanted to do with his career, and the one that he felt the best about when he interviewed, and all those other things that we tell people to consider after the cost of attendance. I'm glad he did because he's my best friend now. However, and he will give this caveat to anyone who asks about it, he is in a position where he does not have to take out loans. That is the only reason he made that choice, and that is the only reason he is even going into this field, because he would not have done it if he was going to be in debt, due to the nature of the career he wants.

But the perspective you actually need if you want to talk to someone who chose a more expensive school and did have to take out loans, is the perspective of a veterinarian who is now paying off those loans, not a current or future student. It's the person who is dealing with that debt now that you want to ask if it was worth it.

Last edited: