Class of 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree on the quality aspect a lot could be those with little experience etc

Members don't see this ad.

Western also had a influx of applicants (less so than Michigan State though)...
Don’t worry guys, trust the process! I know we’re about 6 months deep in this whole thing but we’ve made it this far... just gotta keep on keepin’ on! :chicken:

Reactions: 1 user
The number of applicants has been consistently increasing for the last few years, that is old news. But keep in mind it’s not pulling names out of a hat. Not all applicants are equal. Those who are truely competitive will remain competitive even with a couple hundred extra people who applied because they didn’t want to take the GRE.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The number of applicants has been consistently increasing for the last few years, that is old news. But keep in mind it’s not pulling names out of a hat. Not all applicants are equal. Those who are truely competitive will remain competitive even with a couple hundred extra people who applied because they didn’t want to take the GRE.
Or they are like me and had a Verbal GRE in the 75-78th percentile and a quant in the 20-40th

Reactions: 3 users
I just try not to think about the odds, because if I do it makes me worry too much.
Or they are like me and had a Verbal GRE in the 75-78th percentile and a quant in the 20-40th
I feel that with the dramatic difference between my verbal and quant scores. I’m just not very math minded... and I do much worse in a long, timed exam like the GRE when I can’t take the time to solve the problems.

Reactions: 1 users
I just try not to think about the odds, because if I do it makes me worry too much.

I feel that with the dramatic difference between my verbal and quant scores. I’m just not very math minded... and I do much worse in a long, timed exam like the GRE when I can’t take the time to solve the problems.
I was the opposite! I did better on my quant and struggled with my verbal lol.

I was the opposite! I did better on my quant and struggled with my verbal lol.
I think most people tend to be better at one or the other. My verbal score was 10 points higher than my quant.

I think most people tend to be better at one or the other. My verbal score was 10 points higher than my quant.
My verbal was a 157 my math was 148 so I feel that. That was with accommodations for my add and studying my bum off. My first try my quant was 142 so 6 points higher paid off to get into my MS

Hey! I couldn't find a thread for Wisconsin 2023 applicants, but I remember them saying they would send out a supplemental application some point this fall. Was just wondering if anyone's received that. I had someone reach out to me to confirm one of my prerequiste courses satisfied their requirements, but other than that I haven't heard anything.

My verbal was a 157 my math was 148 so I feel that. That was with accommodations for my add and studying my bum off. My first try my quant was 142 so 6 points higher paid off to get into my MS
What you could get accommodations for add? Wish I would have known that! Would’ve gotten my psychiatrist to write me a letter then :mad:

Hey! I couldn't find a thread for Wisconsin 2023 applicants, but I remember them saying they would send out a supplemental application some point this fall. Was just wondering if anyone's received that. I had someone reach out to me to confirm one of my prerequiste courses satisfied their requirements, but other than that I haven't heard anything.
The thread is called uw-Madison! Someone on the thread said they contacted the school and said that the supplemental should come late November

Members don't see this ad :)
What you could get accommodations for add? Wish I would have known that! Would’ve gotten my psychiatrist to write me a letter then :mad:
You can get accommodations for learning disabilities on like every standardized exam....
Act, gre, pretty sure navle....
If you’ve ever gotten accommodations for anything in the past, ALWAYS check if you can get them!!

Reactions: 2 users
You can get accommodations for learning disabilities on like every standardized exam....
Act, gre, pretty sure navle....
If you’ve ever gotten accommodations for anything in the past, ALWAYS check if you can get them!!

I tried and they gave me such a hard time. I sent in all the forms and paperwork listed to fill out and had my psychiatrist write the required letter but they never told me what else I needed to send in. Very difficult to work with!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I tried and they gave me such a hard time. I sent in all the forms and paperwork listed to fill out and had my psychiatrist write the required letter but they never told me what else I needed to send in. Very difficult to work with!!

My accommodations for ADD were extra time (0.5x) and extra breaks. I didn't have a hard time setting them up at all, Kes, so I'm wondering what was up with that. My paperwork was pretty detailed so maybe that's the difference. My accommodations increased my scores pretty dramatically, I definitely do not regret getting them put in place.

My accommodations for ADD were extra time (0.5x) and extra breaks. I didn't have a hard time setting them up at all, Kes, so I'm wondering what was up with that. My paperwork was pretty detailed so maybe that's the difference. My accommodations increased my scores pretty dramatically, I definitely do not regret getting them put in place.
I had the same..in my explanation statement for vmcas I told schools that my ADD doesnt effect clincals or rreal world work as ive worked with my mentor without meds ( she wanted to kill Me by the end of the 15hr day) and did fine. I also worked a rescue off meds fine..its tests and study ( non stimulating work) that gets me.

Last edited:

I had to get reevaluated and re-tested, then it had to be someone qualified. They needed forms and other stuff.

So I had a waking dream last night of rejection emails...I totally didn't check my real email in a panic to make sure it was a nightmare. When the stress of the cycle leaches into your dreams..O.O

Reactions: 4 users
So I had a waking dream last night of rejection emails...I totally didn't check my real email in a panic to make sure it was a nightmare. When the stress of the cycle leaches into your dreams..O.O
Just wait until you’re in vet school and you dream about atrial fibrillation the night before your cardiac physiology exam. It never ends.

Reactions: 7 users
I mean, I once had a nightmare about folding an endless pile of clothing while my manager yelled at me to go faster when I worked in retail one summer. Funny, I've never had nightmares about any job I've had since that one!

This reminds me of a dream I had a month after graduating from undergrad. I was late to my breeds and breeding (animal science course) final. When I arrived, the professor let me take my exam... which consisted of nothing but calculus problems. I was so shocked and guessed on about one problem before time was up. :scared:

Just wait until you’re in vet school and you dream about atrial fibrillation the night before your cardiac physiology exam. It never ends.
Ive had those school in dream moments lol they helped actually.I wasn't as nervous for the test because I already took it in my head.

Curious but who all here wants to end up in large animal/production and/or equine? I feel like im a minority in that goal.

You said you are attending UF as well! Food is my love and equine. Ans taught me theres a need
I am and it has for me as well! I am majoring in biology but the animal science program is awesome..makes me wish I majored in that instead.

I'm interested in equine repro. :D

Curious but who all here wants to end up in large animal/production and/or equine? I feel like im a minority in that goal.

I want to do sporthorse medicine/rehab equine. It’s one of the main reasons I’m super excited about University of Tennessee since they have rehab programs

I want to do sporthorse medicine/rehab equine. It’s one of the main reasons I’m super excited about University of Tennessee since they have rehab programs
Thats what most of my vet experience is with. My mentor did regular and sport horse..a lot of rehab and ultrasound, joint treatments etc.

I had my cardio final yesterday. Saturday night I dreamed that I woke up Monday morning, having not studied for the exam at all. And for several minutes on Sunday after I woke up I was convinced it was actually Monday :grumpy:

Oh yes. Our Equine Performance and Rehab Center is the bomb.

Oh yes. Our Equine Performance and Rehab Center is the bomb.
I have an interview there in January and it’s going to be the most nerve-wracking because I like University of Tennessee’s programs so much!

I have an interview there in January and it’s going to be the most nerve-wracking because I like University of Tennessee’s programs so much!
I'll be helping with interviews! :D Hopefully giving tours. I'm sure you'll do great!

Interview nightmares havent popped up for a few weeks, but they are super stressful. My last one I was walked into a dark room with a spotlight on this dingy metal chair, and there was like a dozen interviewers in dark hooded cloaks on a raised semi circle platform. Complete silence for minutes after I sat down. I cleared my throat to introduce myself then one said, "Not worth it" and the floor under my chair dropped. I woke up in a panic. Here's hoping my interview is slightly less ominous. :laugh:

Interview nightmares havent popped up for a few weeks, but they are super stressful. My last one I was walked into a dark room with a spotlight on this dingy metal chair, and there was like a dozen interviewers in dark hooded cloaks on a raised semi circle platform. Complete silence for minutes after I sat down. I cleared my throat to introduce myself then one said, "Not worth it" and the floor under my chair dropped. I woke up in a panic. Here's hoping my interview is slightly less ominous. :laugh:
...interview or interrogation? :thinking:

omg what school was this????

Me! I want to end up doing food animal!
So happy to see folks into food animals. I got intrested due to vets not knowing about goats around me or sheep. They would have to call in colleagues from 2hrs away. I want to work with food animal and equine but camelids( Llamas and Alpacas) and small ruminants are my jam.

So happy to see folks into food animals. I got intrested due to vets not knowing about goats around me or sheep. They would have to call in colleagues from 2hrs away. I want to work with food animal and equine but camelids( Llamas and Alpacas) and small ruminants are my jam.
I lurve camelids :love:

How did those of you who are 2nd, 3rd, 4th time applicants navigate having to ask for recommendation letters again? I've worked at the same hospital for 1.5 years and got letters from the two vets I work with this past cycle. I'm likely going to have to apply again, and I'm wondering if I should try to switch over to a new job and make new connections, or if I should shamefully ask the same vets to write me letters again. I'm worried that they will think I'm a failure and won't write them again.

I think I'm afraid of this because they were both 4.0 ivy leaguers who would probably never imagine that someone could not get into vet school the first time they applied.