Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No problem :) Nova's interview day seems to be pretty professional compared to some of the other schools-- I felt like I had to maintain a charismatic, professional persona compared to other interviews that were a little more relaxed and genuine. But the whole campus is impressive and the beautiful weather may have sold me!
The closed interview is very conversational (why optometry, your experiences), and the open file was more academic (I didn't have any weird grades but they would 100% discuss them here, OAT, how you'll deal with the rigour of optometry school, strengths and weaknesses, etc). I guess the open file one was a little more good cop bad cop since I felt the pressure there, and he did call me out a little when discussing my weaknesses. I don't think that's the intention and everything was still very friendly-- it may just be the overall Florida vibe that I'm not be used to as well.
There was also one more short meeting with the nicest lady just about any classes or credits you're missing and anything like that-- not really an interview but it's one-on-one.

thanks so much for sharing your experience! Best of luck to you for the rest of the application cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/17/2019
Date verified: 10/23/2019
OAT Scores: 360 AA / 350 TS
Major: Biochemistry + Evolution & Ecology
GPA: 2.78 LOL
Extracurricular Activities: undergrad research, rowing, 1500 + hrs optician, shadowing, volunteering at the center for the blind
Schools applied: OSU, UH, SCCO, AZCOPT, Midwestern, Salus + still filling out essays for Western, KYCO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: ICO (10/25), SALUS (10/25), SCCO (10/25), SCO (10/30)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (12/02), ICO (11/22), PCO (11/25), SCO (12/6), NECO (12/9)
Interviews declined: KYCO (12/09)
Rejections/date: AZCOPT, Midwestern (10/24), OSU (11/14)
Acceptance/date: SCCO (12/03), PCO (12/09), ICO (12/09)

Auto rejected from both Midwestern campuses for not having a science GPA over 2.75. It was suuuper discouraging, but I'm excited to interview at SCCO, my top choice school. I know that I check SDN religiously and try to compare stats to judge my chances at getting an interview invite, and I hope that my poor grades will encourage some people to apply. Everyone has a chance! You just gotta put yourself out there. If you are passionate, the schools will see it.

hi friends! i'm updating my post to let everyone know that I've been having some successful interviews, and that I've been extended a seat at a few programs. I have decided to accept SCCO's offer!

If anyone has any questions about any of the interviews that I've attended or anything, please feel free to reach out to me over dm! I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can! Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 6 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/15/2019
Date verified:
OAT Scores: 300/320 (take 12/12/2019)
Major: Bachelors in Biology, with a minor Chemistry/German, Masters in Human Physiology
GPA: 3.01//3.4
Extracurricular Activities: 6+ years Lead Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Schools applied: NOVA, UAB, SUNY, ICO, SALUS
Interviews extended/date: ICO (12/15/2019), NOVA (12/16/2019), SUNY (12/17/2019)
Interviews accepted: ICO (02/07), NOVA (01/10), SUNY (01/27)
Interviews declined: SALUS
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/15/2019
Date verified:
OAT Scores: 300/320 (take 12/12/2019)
Major: Bachelors in Biology, with a minor Chemistry/German, Masters in Human Physiology
GPA: 3.01//3.4
Extracurricular Activities: 6+ years Lead Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Schools applied: NOVA, UAB, SUNY, ICO, SALUS
Interviews extended/date: ICO (12/15/2019), NOVA (12/16/2019), SUNY (12/17/2019)
Interviews accepted: ICO (02/07), NOVA (01/10), SUNY (01/27)
Interviews declined: SALUS
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Any advice for the OAT, I’m done studying but scared to retake it!

Any advice for the OAT, I’m done studying but scared to retake it!

It was a walk in the park, except for timing. I scored super high in everything except physics which tanked my score. Honestly, I just gave physics no study time and I paid for it. I did well when I took physics the first time, but didnt really think about my non traditional status causing that to have been 7 years ago! But luckily I got 99% in a couple other sections. If you know basics you’ll be fine. I highly recommend being able to do physics calculations and math calculations in your head. Otherwise it can take too long (which is what happened to me). I did chads course saver for a week and just got it out of the way!! Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Congratulations!!
My interview is in 2 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Honestly I would just research as many Optometry School questions you can and practice all of them. I practiced what I wanted to say for 2 weeks and sure enough, I was asked a few questions that I had prepared for. At first they will take you to a small room with the other interviewers and go around the room so you can all introduce yourselves. They will then give a slideshow on the school, pay attention and ask questions! They say this isn’t an interview but I disagree. Then one by one they take you to another room with your file open and ask you questions. It’s pretty laid back but still be proper. Again, make sure you have questions (prepare at least 3). They want to know why your interested in that particular school and they want to know that your not going to quit the program because Optometry isn’t what you thought it would be.

30 year old VERY non traditional community college student with a dream here giving hope to all of those with low OAT scores and different majors!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/05/19
Date verified: 08/08/19
OAT Scores: 290AA 280TS (Taken on 11/16 which explains the gap between verification and invitation for interview)
Major: Public Management
GPA: 3.5 Science 3.7
Extracurricular Activities: Eagle Scout, 2 year church service mission in Nicaragua, 5 years experience dispensing hearing aids
Schools applied: SCCO, AZCOPT, Western
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT 12/13, Western 1/7
Interviews accepted: ACOPT 12/13
Interviews declined: Western 1/7 (Was already accepted by AZCOPT before the interview with Western)
Rejections/date: SCCO (wanted me to retake OAT)
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT 12/16

I was completely ready to retake the OAT as I thought that I had no shot otherwise, but my application was interesting enough for two of the schools to give me an interview, and I got accepted to my first choice school! (Arizona native here). Keep at it, APPLY! Don't doubt yourself, I am living proof that schools look at more than just your OAT score and Major! I took many of my classes online through a community college as I am also working full time and have 3 kids! Work hard and put yourself out there, schools are looking for non traditional candidates too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone been accepted with lower than a 300 OAT score?

290AA 280TS here, my GPA was above average at 3.7 but I bombed the OAT, expected to have to retake it but that wasn't the case. I'll be attending AZCOPT this fall

Reactions: 2 users
290AA 280TS here, my GPA was above average at 3.7 but I bombed the OAT, expected to have to retake it but that wasn't the case. I'll be attending AZCOPT this fall
Congrats. I’m a non traditional student as well with very similar stats But my undergrad is in Pre-Optometrist (3.4) and 10 years experience. Hope that’s enough to get me into a school close to home as well bc I hv twin daughters.

Congrats. I’m a non traditional student as well with very similar stats But my undergrad is in Pre-Optometrist (3.4) and 10 years experience. Hope that’s enough to get me into a school close to home as well bc I hv twin daughters.

You got this! Get your apps in as soon as possible, schools accept on a first come first served basis. Your experience should definitely help.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you dm me... I would love to know your study techniques and materials you used for the OAT.
hi friends! i'm updating my post to let everyone know that I've been having some successful interviews, and that I've been extended a seat at a few programs. I have decided to accept SCCO's offer!

If anyone has any questions about any of the interviews that I've attended or anything, please feel free to reach out to me over dm! I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can! Good luck to all of you!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/01/2019 (12/16/2019 for SCCO)
Date verified: 12/01/2019
OAT Scores: TS 370 / AA 360
Major: Honours Biomedical Sciences
GPA: overall 3.62, science 3.57
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years as receptionist/optometric tech at 2 different optometrist offices, 2+ years working at an optical, ~12hrs shadowing an optometrist
Schools applied: NECO, SCCO, Salus/PCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO(12/11/2019), SCCO(12/18/2019)/, Salus PCO(12/07/2019)
Interviews accepted: SCCO(01/11/2020), Salus PCO(01/14/2020)
Interviews declined: NECO (01/21/2020 - cancelled my interview)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCCO(01/13/2020), Salus PCO(01/21/2020)

I will be joining SCCO’s class of 2024!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a supplemental fee for NECO? I didn't pay that and my interview is tomorrow. Should I pay today?

Is there a supplemental fee for NECO? I didn't pay that and my interview is tomorrow. Should I pay today?

There's a $40 fee. You should pay as soon as you can, but I'm guessing if they offered you an interview without it first, they probably won't finish processing your application afterward until they receive it.

Date OptomCAS submitted:11/01/19
Date verified:11/15/19 (it took long because i forgot to send in a transcript)
OAT Scores: 350 AA/ 370 TS
Major: Biology (minor neuroscience)
GPA:3.74 overall 3.51 Science
Extracurricular Activities: Part of 2 community organizations, tutorer, and Shadowed 3 optometrists for a total of 25 hours.
Schools applied: SUNY
Interviews extended/date: 11/18/19
Interviews accepted: 12/2/19
Acceptance/date:12/6/19

Going to SUNY 2024! I took my OAT a bit late, during mid october.

How does UAB notify acceptance? Email?

How does UAB notify acceptance? Email?
I received a phone call from Dr. Simon, I also received an email containing my official acceptance letter prior to receiving a hard copy in the mail.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you are accepted and if you accept your seat!

I received a phone call from Dr. Simon, I also received an email containing my official acceptance letter prior to receiving a hard copy in the mail.

Best of luck to you! Let me know if you are accepted and if you accept your seat!
How long did you have to wait to hear from them?

Will do!! How long after your interview did it take it hear back?

How long did you have to wait to hear from them?
Will do!! How long after your interview did it take it hear back?
My group of interviewees actually took a while longer than what I have seen here on SDN. I believe we did not hear back until about 3 weeks after our interviews. I think the admissions committee meets every other Monday if I remember correctly. The Monday after my interview happened to be a federal holiday so then we had to wait longer. But if I were either of you I would definitely give Mr. Kinsey a call after about 2 weeks if you have not heard anything back.

My group of interviewees actually took a while longer than what I have seen here on SDN. I believe we did not hear back until about 3 weeks after our interviews. I think the admissions committee meets every other Monday if I remember correctly. The Monday after my interview happened to be a federal holiday so then we had to wait longer. But if I were either of you I would definitely give Mr. Kinsey a call after about 2 weeks if you have not heard anything back.
I emailed today and he said they don’t meet for another 2 weeks. I’m guessing the small class size forces them to put several groups in the same pot to pick from. Plus they interview wayyyy more than they have seats for.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/18/2019
Date verified: 7/22/2019
OAT Scores: 320 AA/300 TS
Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology
GPA: 3.65 overall; 3.55 science
Extracurricular Activities: 120+ shadowing hours, President/Founder of my universities POPS, A.E.D. officer, lots of volunteering, molecular biology research, & Chemistry lab TA.
Schools applied: UHCO, UAB, SCO, UIWRSO, & NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO 7/23, UAB 8/6, UIWRSO 8/7, UHCO 9/6
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/9, UAB 9/20, UIWRSO 9/13, NOVA 9/27, UHCO 9/23
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO 9/12, UIWRSO 9/18, UAB 9/23, UHCO 9/26

I will be apart of UHCO Class of 2024!!
Can you tell me what the interview is like? This is my number one school and my interview is in less than two weeks.

Date OptomCAS submitted: June 28, 2019
Date verified: July 11, 2019
OAT Scores: 330 AA | 320 TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.67 Overall Science 3.52
Extracurricular Activities: ~2 years of optometric tech, 30 hours of shadowing, 1 year of leadership, mentor
Schools applied: UHCO, UIWRSO, SCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: UHCO (9/6) UIWRSO (8/9) SCO (8/8) ICO (9/3)
Interviews accepted: UIWRSO (9/13) UHCO (9/16)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Waiting to accept SCO and ICO because I wanted to stay in Texas.
Can you tell me what the interview experience was like at UHCO?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/10/19
Date verified: 11/11/19
OAT Scores: TS/AA 340
Majors: Biology, Biopsychology, and Chemistry
GPA: 4.0
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years working as pharmacy tech, 50ish hours shadowing within 5 different offices, president of biology honor society, secretary of psychology honor society, secretary of Pre-Prof health club, treasurer of chemistry club, member of ODK honor society, member of ALD honor society, research assistant in biology and psychology for a year each, won awards for research presentations, student tutor in all my majors, worked with freshman orientation for 3 years, lots of volunteering (horse-therapy organization, hospital, church, elections)
Schools applied: ICO, SCO, IUSO, UMSL, OSU
Interviews extended/date: ICO (11/18), IUSO (11/26), UMSL (12/23), OSU (1/2), SCO (1/6)
Interviews accepted: ICO (1/10), IUSO (1/17), SCO (1/31)
Interviews cancelled: UMSL (1/24), OSU (2/7)
Rejections/date: None
Acceptance/date: ICO (1/17), IUSO (1/21), SCO (2/4)

SCO CLASS OF 2024!!

Reactions: 6 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/10/19
OAT Scores: TS/AA 340
Majors: Biology, Biopsychology, and Chemistry
GPA: 4.0
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years working as pharmacy tech, 50ish hours shadowing within 5 different offices, president of biology honor society, secretary of psychology honor society, secretary of Pre-Prof health club, treasurer of chemistry club, member of ODK honor society, member of ALD honor society, research assistant in biology and psychology for a year each, won awards for research presentations, student tutor in all my majors, worked with freshman orientation for 3 years, lots of volunteering (horse-therapy organization, hospital, church, elections)
Schools applied: ICO, SCO, IUSO, UMSL, OSU
Interviews extended/date: ICO (11/18), IUSO (11/26), UMSL (12/23), OSU (1/2), SCO (1/6)
Interviews accepted: ICO (1/10), IUSO (1/17), SCO (1/31)
Interviews cancelled: UMSL (1/24), OSU (2/7)
Acceptance/date: ICO (1/17), IUSO (1/21), SCO (2/4)

SCO CLASS OF 2024!!

Wow you are like a superhuman

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/23
Date verified: 10/34
OAT Scores: 310 AA/300 TS
Major: Biological Health Sciences
GPA: 3.81 overall
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry club officer all 4 years, optometric technician and eyewear consultant for 1 year, recruitment guide, 50 hours of volunteering, 30 hours of shadowing, pre-calculus tutor, medical mission trip to Nicaragua, and was part of many leadership positions in a sorority
Schools applied: ICO, UAB, IUSO, SCO, NSU
Interviews extended/date: UAB (10/30), ICO (10/29), SCO (10/30), IUSO (11/15), NSU (12/13)
Interviews accepted: UAB (12/6), ICO (12/13), SCO (12/19), NSU (1/10)
Interviews declined: IUSO (12/30)
Acceptance/date: UAB (12/20), ICO (12/20), SCO (12/20), NSU (1/16)

All four years I thought I would be going to NSU since I am from Florida but SCO blew me away. My advice.. keep those options open! SCO CLASS OF 2024!

Reactions: 5 users
30 year old VERY non traditional community college student with a dream here giving hope to all of those with low OAT scores and different majors!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/05/19
Date verified: 08/08/19
OAT Scores: 290AA 280TS (Taken on 11/16 which explains the gap between verification and invitation for interview)
Major: Public Management
GPA: 3.5 Science 3.7
Extracurricular Activities: Eagle Scout, 2 year church service mission in Nicaragua, 5 years experience dispensing hearing aids
Schools applied: SCCO, AZCOPT, Western
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT 12/13, Western 1/7
Interviews accepted: ACOPT 12/13
Interviews declined: Western 1/7 (Was already accepted by AZCOPT before the interview with Western)
Rejections/date: SCCO (wanted me to retake OAT)
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT 12/16

I was completely ready to retake the OAT as I thought that I had no shot otherwise, but my application was interesting enough for two of the schools to give me an interview, and I got accepted to my first choice school! (Arizona native here). Keep at it, APPLY! Don't doubt yourself, I am living proof that schools look at more than just your OAT score and Major! I took many of my classes online through a community college as I am also working full time and have 3 kids! Work hard and put yourself out there, schools are looking for non traditional candidates too!
Hi! I’m interviewing with AZ soon, do you have any advice? How was your overall interview experience?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/9/19
OAT Scores: 300 AA /290 TS
Major: Biochem
GPA: 3.4, 3.53 Science
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, Optometric tech 1.5 years, Volunteer.
Schools applied: Midwestern IL, ICO, NECO, NOVA, PUCO, Western, IUSO.
Interviews extended/date: All of them.
Interviews accepted: ICO, NECO, IUSO
Interviews declined:NOVA, PUCO, Western, Midwestern
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:IUSO, NECO, ICO
Going to ICO!!!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/4/2019
Date verified: 9/5/2019
OAT Scores: 290/270 AA/TS
GPA: 3.18 overall, 2.8 sGpa
Extracurricular Activities: Sorority member, biology society, preprofessional society, 5 years of tech, reception, and optician experience between 4 practices and 10 doctors
Schools applied: UHCO, SCO, ICO, UAB, NSUOCO, IU
Interviews extended/date: UHCO 11/2019, ICO 2/2020
Interviews accepted: UHCO
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date: UAB (11/2019)
Acceptance/date: UHCO (2/2020)

I’m posting for the prospective students that think a low OAT and lower GPA are holding them back. Y’all, I was so down on myself and I never thought I could actually get accepted into a school, but I’m going to be attending my number 1 choice! Believe in yourself and your abilities, never give up on what you want to do! UHCO class of 2024! ✨

Reactions: 11 users
Extracurricular Activities: Sorority member, biology society, preprofessional society, 5 years of tech, reception, and optician experience between 4 practices and 10 doctors

I’m posting for the prospective students that think a low OAT and lower GPA are holding them back. Y’all, I was so down on myself and I never thought I could actually get accepted into a school, but I’m going to be attending my number 1 choice! Believe in yourself and your abilities, never give up on what you want to do! UHCO class of 2024! ✨
WOW thank you for sharing and Congratulations, you definitely show dedication to the field in experience. Good luck in the program.

This is so great. Congratulations. Did they ever asked you to retake your OAT? I have very similar stats to yours.

This is so great. Congratulations. Did they ever asked you to retake your OAT? I have very similar stats to yours.
Thank you! But no they didn’t say anything about my OAT!

I had similar stats, if not worse, and still got in. My experience working in refractive surgery and management really helped me out. Don’t give up if you want it
Thank you so much. Makes me feel much better. Good luck on your education.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/25/2019 (submitted application for schools on different dates) (ICO and CCO 9/25, UCB 11/2)
Date verified: 9/26/2019
OAT Scores: 350 AA / 340 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.76 (overall), 3.71 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: ~25 hours of shadowing, worked as barista, tutor, and desk clerk, dance coordinator and cultural chair for campus org, general member of school pre-opto club, Berkeley opto-camp
Schools applied: ICO, Midwestern IL (CCO), UCB
Interviews extended/date: CCO (9/27), ICO (10/8), UCB (11/22)
Interviews accepted: CCO (11/4), ICO (11/8)
Interviews declined: UCB
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: CCO (11/5), ICO (11/19)

I will be attending ICO!

I was originally worried that I wouldn't have enough optometric experience, but it seems that what I had was enough to show my interest and commitment to pursuing optometry!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/25/2019 (submitted application for schools on different dates) (ICO and CCO 9/25, UCB 11/2)
Date verified: 9/26/2019
OAT Scores: 350 AA / 340 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.76 (overall), 3.71 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: ~25 hours of shadowing, worked as barista, tutor, and desk clerk, dance coordinator and cultural chair for campus org, general member of school pre-opto club, Berkeley opto-camp
Schools applied: ICO, Midwestern IL (CCO), UCB
Interviews extended/date: CCO (9/27), ICO (10/8), UCB (11/22)
Interviews accepted: CCO (11/4), ICO (11/8)
Interviews declined: UCB
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: CCO (11/5), ICO (11/19)

I will be attending ICO!

I was originally worried that I wouldn't have enough optometric experience, but it seems that what I had was enough to show my interest and commitment to pursuing optometry!
Congratulations!!! Is there a reason why you declined UCB? and did you enjoy your opto-camp experience?

Congratulations!!! Is there a reason why you declined UCB? and did you enjoy your opto-camp experience?

Thank you!! I attended opto-camp and absolutely loved the school and their program. There were workshops and speakers who made me see that the quality of their program is definitely competitive but rewarding, and the community is so supportive and close-knit. I would definitely recommend it to any aspiring pre-optometrists. I attended it when I first started to explore the profession, and it gave me a good idea of what becoming an optometrist really entailed. In the end I really wanted to aim for and attend UCB, but ultimately decided to make the more financially forgiving decision to attend ICO. Living expenses in Berkeley and traveling expenses to-and-from home was financially less attractive to me than a school in the city that I live in. Nevertheless, both programs are well-known and I am sure they prepare their students very well, so I am happy with my choice!

Reactions: 2 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/26/2019 and 01/19/2020
Date verified: 10/27/2019
OAT Scores: 330 AA/ 310TS
GPA: 3.5
Extracurricular Activities: work fulltime as an optometric assitant/optician for 1.5 years, coach kids soccer team, undergrad research intern
Schools applied: SCO, CCO, Nova, AZCOPT, ICO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (12/13/20) CCO (02/10/2020), Nova (02/14/2020), ICO (02/28/2020), AZCOPT (03/20/2020)
Interviews accepted: SCO, CCO, Nova, ICO, AZCOPT
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: SCO 01/16/2020
Acceptance/date: CCO (02/11/2020), Nova (02/20/20)

I applied to just SCO originally since I grew up here in Memphis, and they asked me to get more shadowing experience and take a course this spring semester since I've been out of school for almost two years, which I did and they rejected me on 01/16/2020. At that point, I decided to apply to more and actually look into other schools which I hadn't before. I soon found out SCO wasn't as good to me as I thought it was.

Nova is by far my forerunner now after research and upon visiting campus the whole environment is amazing. I am checking out ICO this friday as it's my other top school pick, but cancelling my interview at AZCOPT. 99% sure I will be accepting Nova! I had no cons for them!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/26/2019 and 01/19/2020
Date verified: 10/27/2019
OAT Scores: 330 AA/ 310TS
GPA: 3.5
Extracurricular Activities: work fulltime as an optometric assitant/optician for 1.5 years, coach kids soccer team, undergrad research intern
Schools applied: SCO, CCO, Nova, AZCOPT, ICO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (12/13/20) CCO (02/10/2020), Nova (02/14/2020), ICO (02/28/2020), AZCOPT (03/20/2020)
Interviews accepted: SCO, CCO, Nova, ICO, AZCOPT
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: SCO 01/16/2020
Acceptance/date: CCO (02/11/2020), Nova (02/20/20)

I applied to just SCO originally since I grew up here in Memphis, and they asked me to get more shadowing experience and take a course this spring semester since I've been out of school for almost two years, which I did and they rejected me on 01/16/2020. At that point, I decided to apply to more and actually look into other schools which I hadn't before. I soon found out SCO wasn't as good to me as I thought it was.

Nova is by far my forerunner now after research and upon visiting campus the whole environment is amazing. I am checking out ICO this friday as it's my other top school pick, but cancelling my interview at AZCOPT. 99% sure I will be accepting Nova! I had no cons for them!
you worked full time in optometry for 1.5 years and SCO still wanted more shadowing?

Yep! I thought it was weird, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The only positive that came out of it was they scheduled the shadowing for me with two doctors who work at SCO and I ended up transferring clinics and work for them now

The only positive that came out of it was they scheduled the shadowing for me with two doctors who work at SCO and I ended up transferring clinics and work for them now

wow ! was your original clinic a private practice also. ,or a chain?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/24/19
Date verified: 9/25/19
OAT scores: AA 320/TS 300
Major: Biological Sciences with a concentration in ecology, evolution and behavior
GPA: 3.1
Extracurricular activities: captain of intramural teams, shadowed at a private practice for about 40 hours, co-academic vice president, member of Hysteria committee, member of the Public Service and Learning Community, currently work full-time at a healthcare staffing agency
Schools applied: Salus, UMSL, MCPHS, NECO, ICO, SCO, NOVA, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/16), NECO (11/13), MCPHS (11/15), UMSL (11/12), NOVA (11/20), ICO (12/3), SUNY (12/5), IUSO (12/12)
Interviews accepted: Salus (10/28), UMSL (12/6), NOVA (12/13), SUNY (12/16), MCPHS (1/30), NECO (1/31), ICO (2/3)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: UMSL (12/6), Salus (12/13), NOVA (12/20)
So here’s an update, and if anyone has any advice I’d be happy to hear it!

I also got accepted to NECO, MCPHS, and ICO-I loved NECO and ICO, but ICO wants me to maintain a certain GPA for the first year, which I feel is a lot of added pressure, but other than that I loved the school. Also, I’m on hold at SUNY and all they tell me is to remain patient so I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation with that?? I’m from NY so SUNY is definitely my number one school.

Hi! I’m interviewing with AZ soon, do you have any advice? How was your overall interview experience?
This is really late but my interview day was very laid back and comfortable. It went from about 8 to 2, they fed us lunch and gave us a tour of the campus which was very impressive. The interview itself was very laid back, I was interviewed by 2 doctors and it was a semi open file interview meaning that they were able to see my personal statement/achievements/etc from OptomCAS but could not see my OAT score or GPA. Just relax and have fun with it, it was a great experience.