Class of 2026... how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Same here. I think I just need to make myself some kind of schedule bc I never want to do anything when I get home from school (even if whatever rotation I'm on is magically done super early for the day)

Oh my dog, you graduate next year 😵 There's no way. I swear you were a first year just yesterday
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any words of wisdom?
Do whatever you've found works best for you on exams - don't change your approach just for this one. If you're a person who does well with taking breaks, great. Do that. If you know you'll lose your focus if you take breaks, great, don't take them. Read over your answers normally on exams? Great! Do that. Don't check your answers once you've selected one because you'll change to the wrong one? Don't start checking them now!

For me, that meant not taking breaks (I took one halfway through for a bathroom break, but that was it) and not going back to check over my answers - if there was one I didn't know, I didn't answer it and then went back to it later. I'm historically a fast test taker and finished my NAVLE in a little over 2 hours. If that's you too, don't let yourself get spooked into the "it's supposed to be a 6 hour (or whatever) exam, I need to take longer." You know at this point what works best for you as a test taker. This is just another quiz!
 
My experience was similar to shortys. Definitely take a break and eat a snack if you need to, but do whatever works for you. I powered through with no breaks, but I am the type of person who just wants to get it done. If you have to travel to a testing center (the closest location to my school was an hour away, which is silly, maybe it’s more widely available now), going down the night before may be worth the expense to avoid any travel related delays or having to get up extra early.

I found the ICVA assessments to be useful, I did one a couple weeks before the exam so I knew where to focus the last few weeks of studying. I don’t know that taking one right at the end does much imo…if you do great it may increase your confidence but if you take one a day or two before the exam and don’t do great there’s no time to improve and it just stresses people out.

Remember that the vast majority of people walk out feeling like they did poorly. If you leave feeling great, that’s great. But despite everyone being warned, it’s almost a near-universal experience of people leaving thinking it was harder than they expected. But the vast majority of people pass.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any words of wisdom?
This is one exam where I personally wouldn't sacrifice sleep/mental centering in the 1-2 days prior in order to cram. I have never found last minute cramming to pay off for me, so in the context of how big the navle is, the final 1-2 days were not going to be best spent cramming. I think I looked over a few things, but prioritized rest and hydration in that time. Cramming wasn't going to save me, but being overtired/dehydrated would absolutely have me making silly mistakes like misreading questions/answers.

My favorite thing to remember is that if I didn't know it the night before the exam, I wasn't going to know it the next morning during the exam so I might as well go to bed. But I fully get that there are people that thrive with cramming. I just don't think you can cram for the NAVLE specifically.

Also don't eat something with questionable gastrointestinal consequences the night before. Save that for after. One of my good friends went a little hard on takeout the night before and had issues during her exam.
 
Now I'm curious, what's errbody thinking they're doing after graduation? Any big/fun plans?
 
Now I'm curious, what's errbody thinking they're doing after graduation? Any big/fun plans?
TBD. I had been thinking of going to do an ER mentorship (and currently have a visit with a hospital set up), but now I'm starting to look into if I want to do a rotating internship since of course I only just finished a rotation (cardio) that has me considering specializing
 
TBD. I had been thinking of going to do an ER mentorship (and currently have a visit with a hospital set up), but now I'm starting to look into if I want to do a rotating internship since of course I only just finished a rotation (cardio) that has me considering specializing

If the faculty are the same as when I was there, I don't blame you! 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that I finally got off my butt & declined my other offers, officially doing an ECC-focused rotating small animal internship! Kinda can't believe I didn't end up trying to do some sort of mixed practice, but the ER vibes got to me
 
I just read something interesting today in the Debt Free Vets fb group that may affect upcoming grads I felt you all should know.

The group admin/veternarian who is also a loan planning professional stated that with the new regulations and the BBB, advice is changing about loan consolidation. In the past, people planning to go the forgiveness route would often be advised to consolidate their loans right after graduation in order to waive the 6 month grade period and get started on loan repayment (since payment is often zero because you made no money as a fourth year) so forgiveness comes 6 months sooner. And so you could claim no income (because you hadn’t started working yet) and make your payments 0 for the first year. Or there may have been other reasons to consolidate, like to make an HPSL loan eligible to be paid under income based programs. HOWEVER, a consolidation loan is technically considered a “new” loan, so it’s likely that by consolidating, you’d probably be considered to have loans after the July 1 2026 BBB cutoff (since it’s unlikely your consolidation would be processed fast enough to squeak in under the deadline after graduation), and that “new” consolidation loan would only be eligible for RAP or standard repayment, not IBR. And for most new grad vets (though not all), IBR is often going to have lower total costs because it’s a shorter repayment term compared to RAP’s 30 years.

All that to say, if you read online advice that said a new grad should consolidate after graduation, that may no longer be a good decision.
 
I graduated yesterday. It took 5 years of vet school, and an additional 10 years of college to prepare. My best friends from undergrad, my best friends from vet school, my parents, and my sister were all with me. I am still hungover, still in my makeup, and cannot stop grinning like a maniac. WE DID IT YALL!!!!
 
Graduated yesterday as well!!!! Headed back to the east coast, privately owned small animal GP. Not starting til mid-july, using the time to move/unpack and visit some family and friends. Excited to make up for lost time - while I tried to have a life during vet school, many events and get togethers were still missed!
So proud of everyone, I still can't really believe it!!!!
 
How is it going everyone?? I feel like after 4 years of constantly being graded and critiqued it is difficult to gauge how I'm doing.. some appts feel good, others I'm like what am I even talking about 😂 I suppose that is the life/struggle of a new grad!
I am so tired, but my program also has me working long weeks. Definitely in a similar boat though. Some cases I feel pretty good going in, and others I've found I need a minute to organize my thoughts between what I just talked about with the vet who is supervising me through my cases and going in with the owners to make sure I'm not forgetting anything
 
How is it going everyone?? I feel like after 4 years of constantly being graded and critiqued it is difficult to gauge how I'm doing.. some appts feel good, others I'm like what am I even talking about 😂 I suppose that is the life/struggle of a new grad!
Constantly wonder if I made a mistake after I go home LOL but I’ve been enjoying so far