Class of 2026... how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KarebearDVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! Congratulations to those of you that have been accepted so far! :banana: I couldn't wait any longer to start this thread, so...
Animated GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hiiiii!!!! I’m so super over the moon!!!! I just accepted my seat for tOSU the day after I got the acceptance cuz I love that school!
Where is everyone going?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just so grateful I got into my IS school. I applied way too many places cause I was worried I wouldn't get in anywhere. Excited but a little impatient for autumn.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m so excited y’all!! Although slightly nervous to move up to the tundra that is Minnesota😬😬

• Care
Originally St. Louis, although I’ve spent a lot of time in California and now live in Portland! How about you?
Oh that’s so cool! I’ve lived in NJ my whole life so I’m not too worried about the move to Ohio since I don’t mind the cold, so I’m lucky.

Oh that’s so cool! I’ve lived in NJ my whole life so I’m not too worried about the move to Ohio since I don’t mind the cold, so I’m lucky.
Ah yeah that makes sense! St. Louis definitely got colder than the West Coast, but nothing compared to MN or the Northeast

Reactions: 1 user
Hiiiii!!!! I’m so super over the moon!!!! I just accepted my seat for tOSU the day after I got the acceptance cuz I love that school!
Where is everyone going?
Congrats, that is awesomeI!! I'll be going to Oregon State. I went here for undergrad and I just fell in love with it so I am super excited!

ahh yay!! So happy to be apart of this!! I’m waiting to hear back from my IS but was accepted to Minnesota so will be attending their in the fall if my IS doesn’t work out 🥳

Last edited:
I'm just so grateful I got into my IS school. I applied way too many places cause I was worried I wouldn't get in anywhere. Excited but a little impatient for autumn.
Can relate to this one haha, could only really afford to apply to 5 schools (originally only planned on applying to my IS), but it drove me crazy writing all the essays over the summer.

Super excited for this upcoming fall, tho

What are y'all planning on doing over the summer? I'm probably going to keep working a little bit but try to cut back my hours and hopefully do some traveling while I still can! Really want to do a backpacking trip in Glacier NP

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so excited y’all!! Although slightly nervous to move up to the tundra that is Minnesota😬😬
Don’t be too nervous! I also moved to MN from the PNW and I was sooo afraid for winter. They do such a good job of managing the snow here that I haven’t had any trouble driving (and I drive a little Prius), and it’s snowed way less than I was expecting. I won’t lie, it does get cold, but there’s only been a few weeks in the negative temps and I’ve honestly adjusted to it. Now 30 feels warm! Lol 😂 So you’ll be just fine!

Reactions: 5 users
Trying to make school decisions is soooo difficult. I never imagined I would get accepted into multiple schools, let alone multiple schools that I would want to go to, and I'm terrified of making the wrong decision. I know the general opinion here is to just go wherever is cheapest, but I'm so stuck with the whole logic (going to my IS to get IS tuition) vs emotion (go to the school I think would make me happier in the long run, but is significantly more expensive) battle in my head.

Is anyone else really struggling with deciding which offer to accept?

Reactions: 3 users
What are y'all planning on doing over the summer? I'm probably going to keep working a little bit but try to cut back my hours and hopefully do some traveling while I still can! Really want to do a backpacking trip in Glacier NP
I'm planning on working over the summer and saving as much money as I can. I will also be visiting my family in California and hopefully doing a girl's trip with some of my friends that I haven't seen in forever since I'm not sure the next time I will be able to once I start vet school haha. Backpacking in Glacier NP sounds amazing. I have personally never been but it looks absolutely beautiful!!

I'm working full time right now since I graduated a semester early. Moving from NJ to Oklahoma is expensive so I'm trying to save as much money as I can for that. Spending lots of time with my partner and my family and taking a 10 day trip to Disney 2 weeks before the big move. Trying to make the best of all this free time.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t be too nervous! I also moved to MN from the PNW and I was sooo afraid for winter. They do such a good job of managing the snow here that I haven’t had any trouble driving (and I drive a little Prius), and it’s snowed way less than I was expecting. I won’t lie, it does get cold, but there’s only been a few weeks in the negative temps and I’ve honestly adjusted to it. Now 30 feels warm! Lol 😂 So you’ll be just fine!
That makes me a lot less nervous haha especially because I drive a little Corolla! Do you have snow tires?

That makes me a lot less nervous haha especially because I drive a little Corolla! Do you have snow tires?
as someone who drives a little honda civic in New England weather, instead of snow tires I just get good all season tires and they do a good job in the snow, ice, rain, whatever and I don’t have to worry about storing or changing snow tires

as someone who drives a little honda civic in New England weather, instead of snow tires I just get good all season tires and they do a good job in the snow, ice, rain, whatever and I don’t have to worry about storing or changing snow tires
That sounds like a much better idea. Thanks :)

I also drive a Prius, have lived here since 2009, and have talked about snow tires every single year but have yet to actually get them. You'll be fine. They do a decent job getting the roads clear/passable pretty quickly.

I’ve been stalking SDN since freshman year waiting for the day I can take part in these forums 💗 Accepted IS at Ohio State first cycle! Still a little bit in disbelief.

• Love
Congrats everyone!! Accepted my OOS seat at Auburn and paid the deposit. So grateful and thankful to be in this position!
I’m excited but also a bit anxious to move my entire life from CA to AL. Also a bit anxious Auburn will call and say it was all a mistake 😅

• Love
Oooo that sounds like a lot of fun!
I’m just planning on continuing my vet tech/assistant job. I just started volunteering at a wildlife refuge 6 hours a week on Sundays. And I’m trying to get some more large animal experience and I shadowed/asssited the large animal vet from the clinic I work at.
And I’m planning on spending time with my pets since I can’t bring them with me so I’m really gonna miss them and my dog sleeping with me every night.

Congrats everyone!! Accepted my OOS seat at Auburn and paid the deposit. So grateful and thankful to be in this position!
I’m excited but also a bit anxious to move my entire life from CA to AL. Also a bit anxious Auburn will call and say it was all a mistake 😅
Yes I totally feel you. I paid my deposit right away because I know I need to go there and maybe I thought that I don’t want Ohio to call and say oops😂

That sounds like an amazing experience!!
I’m planning to keep working/ increase my hours up until my move date in July. The month before classes will be my break time to decompress

Yes I totally feel you. I paid my deposit right away because I know I need to go there and maybe I thought that I don’t want Ohio to call and say oops😂
It happened to a friend of mine, she was accepted IS at Oregon. She got all the way to orientation and admissions said there was a discrepancy with her IS status. Long story short, they pulled her seat and told her to reapply. So I’m super paranoid

• Wow
It happened to a friend of mine, she was accepted IS at Oregon. She got all the way to orientation and admissions said there was a discrepancy with her IS status. Long story short, they pulled her seat and told her to reapply. So I’m super paranoid
Ummmm that is horrifying. She really couldn’t do anything about it? Did they apologize or anything?
At least I’m OOS so that scenario wouldn’t happen to me😭😂

Ummmm that is horrifying. She really couldn’t do anything about it? Did they apologize or anything?
At least I’m OOS so that scenario wouldn’t happen to me😭😂
I know, it was terrible. Nope, she couldn’t do anything. Looking back on it she should have probably got a lawyer involved but hindsight is 20/20.
Same here I’m OOS but theres still that irrational fear 😅😰

• Wow
Can’t even believe I get to post on this thread accepted my IS seat to K-State last week! This is my third cycle, it feels unreal. One of my doctors commented I looked in shock when I showed up in her office doorway after reading the email, and was pale as a ghost 🤣 I could barely even speak the words when she asked what was going on. It was an EPIC moment to have everyone who worked alongside me these past few years there when I found out!

Reactions: 10 users
Can’t even believe I get to post on this thread accepted my IS seat to K-State last week! This is my third cycle, it feels unreal. One of my doctors commented I looked in shock when I showed up in her office doorway after reading the email, and was pale as a ghost 🤣 I could barely even speak the words when she asked what was going on. It was an EPIC moment to have everyone who worked alongside me these past few years there when I found out!
Congratulations!! Im OOS but accepted my seat to Kstate last week too!! Can’t wait to be classmates this fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted to schools!! I am 99% certain I'm going to place my deposit with MWU, but I'm still waiting to hear back from one school I'm interested in (Western) that is taking forever - I interviewed in October and they're not releasing any results until March.
This was my first cycle and covid-19 definitely cut down some of my experience hours, so I'm still in shock that I got in. Arizona has always been the dream 😊 I'm an NJ resident so I'm with all of you who are making big moves - oh gosh driving across the country with two kayaks on my car and two dogs in my car will be very interesting lol

Congrats to everyone who got accepted to schools!! I am 99% certain I'm going to place my deposit with MWU, but I'm still waiting to hear back from one school I'm interested in (Western) that is taking forever - I interviewed in October and they're not releasing any results until March.
This was my first cycle and covid-19 definitely cut down some of my experience hours, so I'm still in shock that I got in. Arizona has always been the dream 😊 I'm an NJ resident so I'm with all of you who are making big moves - oh gosh driving across the country with two kayaks on my car and two dogs in my car will be very interesting lol
I also live in NJ! And same I’m waiting on 3 schools but I put my deposit down on Ohio the day after I got the offer cuz it’s my top.
That sounds like a big move which should be adventurous with your dogs lol.

Trying to make school decisions is soooo difficult. I never imagined I would get accepted into multiple schools, let alone multiple schools that I would want to go to, and I'm terrified of making the wrong decision. I know the general opinion here is to just go wherever is cheapest, but I'm so stuck with the whole logic (going to my IS to get IS tuition) vs emotion (go to the school I think would make me happier in the long run, but is significantly more expensive) battle in my head.

Is anyone else really struggling with deciding which offer to accept?
Yes. This.
First time applying and I had no real feeling as to where I would be accepted.
With multiples now in front of me, it's a little more than just 'the cheapest' as the one to pick.

I'm looking very carefully as to which school has the best programs for my interest, and truly, which provide me with the very best path to success...
To me, that includes: campus and town vibe. Support structure. Alumni and peer involvement. Programs and opportunities.

All of those things to me, trump just going to the cheapest school.
Nothing would be worse to me, if I did that, yet the school made me miserable.

We only get one shot at this. Reach HIGHER!

With multiples now in front of me, it's a little more than just 'the cheapest' as the one to pick.

I'm looking very carefully as to which school has the best programs for my interest, and truly, which provide me with the very best path to success...
To me, that includes: campus and town vibe. Support structure. Alumni and peer involvement. Programs and opportunities.

All of those things to me, trump just going to the cheapest school.

You're going to get a great education no matter what accredited program you go to. You can survive anywhere for 4 years - I promise. The vibe of campus is really not going to make a difference when you're in veterinary school. All of the accredited programs will give you the tools you need to be a successful veterinarian, even if the school itself doesn't necessarily have a service in the area you want to go into (that's what externships and networking are for).

Carrying an even larger amount of debt, that's going to hang over your head for decades after you graduate, will absolutely make a bigger difference in your life than whether you think you can live in a city (or in the middle of nowhere) for 4 years. That debt will affect how you're able to live for a lot longer than going to vet school at a place that doesn't necessarily tick all your boxes of "this is ideal." It's easy now to tell yourself that you can live like a student forever, but some day, you might want to buy a house, or start a family, or pursue a hobby that maybe you put on the back burner for vet school because it's too expensive, and the higher your debt load, the harder it will be to do those things the way you might want to.

There's a reason that the people on this forum who have already graduated strongly emphasize to go to the cheapest school.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
You're going to get a great education no matter what accredited program you go to. You can survive anywhere for 4 years - I promise. The vibe of campus is really not going to make a difference when you're in veterinary school. All of the accredited programs will give you the tools you need to be a successful veterinarian, even if the school itself doesn't necessarily have a service in the area you want to go into (that's what externships and networking are for).

Carrying an even larger amount of debt, that's going to hang over your head for decades after you graduate, will absolutely make a bigger difference in your life than whether you think you can live in a city (or in the middle of nowhere) for 4 years. That debt will affect how you're able to live for a lot longer than going to vet school at a place that doesn't necessarily tick all your boxes of "this is ideal." It's easy now to tell yourself that you can live like a student forever, but some day, you might want to buy a house, or start a family, or pursue a hobby that maybe you put on the back burner for vet school because it's too expensive, and the higher your debt load, the harder it will be to do those things the way you might want to.

There's a reason that the people on this forum who have already graduated strongly emphasize to go to the cheapest school.

All valid points no doubt.
Each person has different circumstances (Family monetary support, needing to stay close to home, etc...)
For me, the difference in the 'cheapest' versus what my original 'dream' school is, is $67K after 4 years.
And i can definitively say, that the cheapest school for me, is an absolute no-go. for various reasons.
So is it worth that 67K to be in a school setting that will give me the best chance of success? for me, yes. for others, maybe not.
It's a blessing, yet a curse, to have options. I understand many do not. and thats OK too. each of us have our own idea of what 'success' looks like.

I am backing into the decision a little differently than most.
If every single school cost the exact same, where would I go? and my list of criteria (which is mine, and may not be others) will help me whittle it down more than the total COA.

All valid points no doubt.
Each person has different circumstances (Family monetary support, needing to stay close to home, etc...)
For me, the difference in the 'cheapest' versus what my original 'dream' school is, is $67K after 4 years.
And i can definitively say, that the cheapest school for me, is an absolute no-go. for various reasons.
So is it worth that 67K to be in a school setting that will give me the best chance of success? for me, yes. for others, maybe not.
It's a blessing, yet a curse, to have options. I understand many do not. and thats OK too. each of us have our own idea of what 'success' looks like.

I am backing into the decision a little differently than most.
If every single school cost the exact same, where would I go? and my list of criteria (which is mine, and may not be others) will help me whittle it down more than the total COA.
I graduated with a bit over 70k in debt.

Just in case you're interested, at ~6ish percent interest that's about $800 a month on a ten year repayment plan - that's what you're handwaving off. Eight hundred dollars a month.

Obviously if you're planning on a long term payment plan, the numbers change, but still. It's real money, at real ****ty interest rates.

But @lav, please listen to those who are graduated and actually feel the crushing weight of those loans. You've been fortunate enough to get into your IS school - go to it! You'll end up with a DVM at the end, have more finances to be able to pursue opportunities, and when you graduate you'll really thank past you, I can almost promise.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I graduated with a bit over 70k in debt.

Just in case you're interested, at ~6ish percent interest that's about $800 a month on a ten year repayment plan - that's what you're handwaving off. Eight hundred dollars a month.

Obviously if you're planning on a long term payment plan, the numbers change, but still. It's real money, at real ****ty interest rates.

But @lav, please listen to those who are graduated and actually feel the crushing weight of those loans. You've been fortunate enough to get into your IS school - go to it! You'll end up with a DVM at the end, have more finances to be able to pursue opportunities, and when you graduate you'll really thank past you, I can almost promise.
Certainly not handwaving that sum of money off.
All due respect, just commenting on a person's question, who happens to be in the same boat as I am.
Sharing my perspective is all.
I just don't think it's right to lump single applicant into 'go to cheapest option' over and above everything else they may have on their mind.

But if that's the golden rule for most, please do! No judgement or shade.

My sister went to law school. Was only accepted at a very expensive OOS. She went.
Transferred to IS after her first year, and couldn't have been more miserable.
Money, and money alone, drove her decision to move back, and it in hindsight, was the worst decision she ever made.

Certainly not handwaving that sum of money off.
All due respect, just commenting on a person's question, who happens to be in the same boat as I am.
Sharing my perspective is all.
I just don't think it's right to lump single applicant into 'go to cheapest option' over and above everything else they may have on their mind.

But if that's the golden rule for most, please do! No judgement or shade.

My sister went to law school. Was only accepted at a very expensive OOS. She went.
Transferred to IS after her first year, and couldn't have been more miserable.
Money, and money alone, drove her decision to move back, and it in hindsight, was the worst decision she ever made.
Vet school is not law school, and all vet schools are going to give you a good education. I'll admit to being a hard ass about this. I didn't even apply OOS, and if that would have been my only option, I would have pursued a different career.

I just hate to see people who have not had to pay these loans telling people that the school's vibe is super important. I do think that the cheapest option is the best decision 95%+ of the time. Obviously if it's a minimal difference in cost, fine, but the problem is people start seeing 20, 30, 50K+ as minimal and it's really not.

Vet school is, in many ways, what you make of it. Yes some schools have different opportunities, but in many cases it's more half a dozen of one, six of another. Also, people's interests and life situations change. However, that debt you acquire is permanently yours to pay off. And it sucks.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Obviously it’s the applicant’s decision to make and you’re free to do what you choose. And yes other factors can weigh in but imo it shouldn’t be taken lightly that essentially every person who has ACTUALLY graduated veterinary school and is paying or has paid off their loans is saying that minimizing cost should be your priority. Again, your decision and it’s no skin off my nose if you choose the more expensive option. But if anyone does choose a more expensive option I hope you come back to SDN in 5 and 10 years once those loan bills are rolling in and share whether you are still happy with your choice or if you wish you’d have chosen a cheaper option. Maybe you won’t regret it and it’ll be great, but I’d be interested in seeing how you feel years down the line and if those things you thought were important today are important then.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
That and who has time for vibes when you're spending your days sitting in lecture halls or anatomy labs? People are people everywhere and every class is going to have a mix of personality types no matter what school you end up at so you should be able to find like minds anywhere.

Live a life outside of vet school during vet school, but vet school is 4 years and debt is forever (or at least until you pay it off or it gets forgiven).

• Love
It’s hard right now but I’m happy with my decision to reapply for next year. I can’t see myself being happy going to the Caribbean anymore. Before anyone says “but you can transfer state side!”, I’ve definitely weighed that decision. There’s a part of me worried that even if I did go for a year, that there’s a possibility there’s no openings for transfer or I’d be reject from transferring leaving me somewhere I hate. I want to enjoy my 4 years of vet school knowing I did right by myself. Another issue is how burnt out I am from school that I would like time off for a while.

3/3/2022: Now unsure once again about what I will do, hoping I get pulled off waitlist for SGU but if I don't I'll probably reapply because I don't trust Ross to keep their accrediation.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Perspectives are just that.
Terrific for all of you who are 8-10 years out from we are now. We're all on the same path.
Advice taken, and appreciated. 👍

Now let's all go out and be vets. Wherever you choose!

So I attended two different vet schools. 2 years at each school. I thought there'd be differences and sure, there were a few, but honestly vet school is vet school. Lectures are lectures. Anatomy lab is anatomy lab. The studying is still overwhelming no matter what. The volume of information is firehose status regardless. There's not enough differences between schools to make it worth an extra even $20k for any particular school.

Anything else.. "vibe", "clubs", "experience with x species", you can find outside of the school. It will be 4 years of your life, your debt will be at least 10 years of your life and more likely 20-25 years. "Vibes" change from class to class so even if what you've heard about vibes from current students sounds good, it might not be the same in your class group. Clubs are constantly changing, becoming more/less active year to year. So on and so forth.

"Vibes" change from class to class so even if what you've heard about vibes from current students sounds good, it might not be the same in your class group.
I can't emphasize this enough. I was in 2020 and 2021. I knew the classes if 2019-2023 pretty well. The culture of each class was vastly different despite having nearly the same exact atmosphere.
Clubs are constantly changing, becoming more/less active year to year. So on and so forth.
Also can't emphasize this enough. This is because the class cultures are so vastly different. 2019-2021 at my school were all pretty involved. @SkiOtter can tell you how much things have changed since my class went into clinics. I can honestly say there was a difference every year in every club.

Is 3 years in a club that meets once a month for a lunch lecture worth 20k?

Where is everyone going?
Congrats!! They have such a great program it seems :) I accepted my seat at the University of Arizona for this upcoming Fall.

Just heard back from my last school & damn does it feel so good to be done!
I think I've experienced every single emotion throughout this process. I cannot wait and while I'm extremely nervous (and excited) I know we will all be great! Looking forward to finally "unwatching" most threads on here and preparing for a new chapter 🐶😺🐴

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just heard back from my last school & damn does it feel so good to be done!
I think I've experienced every single emotion throughout this process. I cannot wait and while I'm extremely nervous (and excited) I know we will all be great! Looking forward to finally "unwatching" most threads on here and preparing for a new chapter 🐶😺🐴
That's so great! I'm feeling the same way. I liked unwatching threads when I get rejected from schools haha

• Love
I was accepted OOS into Virginia-Maryland and I’m still waiting to hear back from Florida. I already feel a bit of imposter syndrome coming on. Even though I’ve worked towards this my whole life, I just don’t understand why I was chosen over others when there are only a few seats for out of state. I guess it’s just a lack of confidence on my part but is anyone else feeling this way?

I was accepted OOS into Virginia-Maryland and I’m still waiting to hear back from Florida. I already feel a bit of imposter syndrome coming on. Even though I’ve worked towards this my whole life, I just don’t understand why I was chosen over others when there are only a few seats for out of state. I guess it’s just a lack of confidence on my part but is anyone else feeling this way?
Same! I know it’s super common but not sure how to deal with it

• Care