Class Rank vs. GPA when applying to speciality programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makohunter18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like Penn. Rank is more important to account for GPA inflation/deflation between schools and to see how well you performed among your class. But you should still apply for whatever specialty you're after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I've been told by a ton of kids (some that go there) that it's pass/fail/honors. Not trying to be a smart a...now I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah that's not true, we're a GPA school. Some of the clinical, ethics classes, etc. are h/p/f, but the vast majority are graded. But, only the top 10 are ranked, everyone else "isn't ranked". I also wouldn't be surprised if this was Penn.

Sooo..I plan on applying to speciality programs but am a bit worried about my class rank. My overall GPA is 3.91 (which i'm happy with) but my class rank isn't in the top 20% bc of the competitiveness of my specific class. I've spoken to students who have graduated from my school the past few years and many of them were top 15%, even top 10%, with the same or slightly lower GPA. Does a Dean's letter help in instances like this? I've heard/read being "top 20%" is considered competitive for residency programs and don't want to be overlooked.
This is a cut and dry case of grade inflation. I'd bet anything you're at UPenn. Your school - and any school that inflates their grades - almost certainly does it to bump their specialization rate. So, here's how that works. Yes, the very top are ranked, but the masses are not. If program directors are not privy to this scheme, they see someone with a very high GPA with no class rank and then blindly assume that "Well, they have a high GPA so if the school did rank they definitely must be up there." And as you know, this may very well not be the case. This is why class rank is much more important - GPA is entirely relative from school to school.

Your stats are what they are. All you can do is apply and hope things turn out as you want. Not applying is a guaranteed way for that not to happen.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users