This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXVoicesXx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm interested in behavioral neuroscience or neuropsychologist, what undergraduate classes are advisable? I've searched around a bit and found that it's advisable to follow neuro-psych/bio classes, but my university only offers two classes that fall into that category (one is a psychology and the other is a biology). I also saw mentions of anatomy and physiology, orgo, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Some good choices are general biology, intro neuroscience, behavioral neuroscience, perception, and learning and memory. Research methods and statistics are also a must, regardless of which branch of psychology you choose. As long as you have some biology exposure and a decent breadth of coursework, your main job is to make A's. And it's very important to obtain undergraduate research experience to complement your coursework.

I really don't think you need to bother with biochemistry or anything like that unless you want to study neuroscience at that level. A & P is fun but pretty useless for grad school purposes.

Hard to be specific regarding undergrad classes as they vary fairly wildly across school. At the undergrad level, I'd focus on getting a good stats background, anatomy and physio, chem def helps, and a neurobiology class if they have it. Neuroanatomy is a good one if they have it, but many do not have this available at the undergrad level. Additionally, some schools with grad programs will sometimes let undergrads into grad classes, although this is only rarely done and generally is only available to some of the top, upperclassmen students.