Classmate hookups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for classmates to become romantically involved or do you guys mostly try to keep your academic and romantic life separated?

Members don't see this ad.

As my 2nd year friend likes to call it, "medcest" is no good. I wouldn't do it, unless I was positive that it could work.

We have 13 (I think?) couples in our class of 100. So yes, 26% of our class is dating each other. And we're MS1s, so we've only been here for 7 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about random hookups sans relationship

from experience, i'd say it's a very bad idea....med school is hard enough without the added drama

I thrive on drama.

We have 13 (I think?) couples in our class of 100. So yes, 26% of our class is dating each other. And we're MS1s, so we've only been here for 7 months.

rofl..which school is this?

Don't know if it is a bad idea or not, but it happens A LOT. People start pairing off about this time in first year, if not a little earlier. Haven't seen the legendary drama that most people here say is associated with medcest, but I don't doubt it can/will happen.

what about random hookups sans relationship

Also happens a fair bit, but I'd say people prefer to keep it on the DL a little more.

I go to Duke.

people hookup fairly often. probably more often than actual relationships. probably because no one has time for an actual relationship.

I prefer not to mix business and pleasure. Things can get awkward and uncomfortable and I have enough stress in my life without wild rumors and added tension. It can get weird, and after all there are enough girls in other discliplines to hook up with and have some fun on the side without having to mingle with people I spend 6+ hours a day with, every day, for at least the next year and a half. That being said, yes, there is some hooking up going on in my class (or so I've heard, and you know rumors are ALWAYS 100% true) but apparently it's very discreet and low key.

every botched hookup tends to have a ripple effect and creates awkwardness for others beyond the two that hooked up...so it messes up yo biz

every botched hookup tends to have a ripple effect and creates awkwardness for others beyond the two that hooked up...so it messes up yo biz

Yeah no kidding, personally I wouldn't want to be backstabbed on the wards

Members don't see this ad :)
In my first year of med school it seemed as though ~50% of the class had been involved w/each other, one way or another....... I found it really weird at the time (and still think it rather sad) that so many intelligent people would not realize the implications of making things weird for the next 3 yrs by having to be around someone they hooked up with (or did wrong in a one night stand). Go figure, I guess stress + tight quarters + shared battles + sexual attraction = hooking up, guess we are all just human....... and, in case you were wondering, I was in the other 50% (not that that is good or bad)

In my first year of med school it seemed as though ~50% of the class had been involved w/each other, one way or another....... I found it really weird at the time (and still think it rather sad) that so many intelligent people would not realize the implications of making things weird for the next 3 yrs by having to be around someone they hooked up with (or did wrong in a one night stand). Go figure, I guess stress + tight quarters + shared battles + sexual attraction = hooking up, guess we are all just human....... and, in case you were wondering, I was in the other 50% (not that that is good or bad)
As far as looks goes.....the ELEPHANT MAN was in that 50% too.

It's just like high school.

Sometimes it actually works out. One couple in my class is moving in together this summer. Another couple got engaged last month. Just a couple examples.

And sometimes it ends badly. I won't elaborate on that.

And sometimes it's just casual sex.

Personally, I don't ever see myself dating another med student/doctor. I'd probably go insane.

the medcest only gets weird around the end of first year when people start breaking up.

the medcest only gets weird around the end of first year when people start breaking up.
Yeah that reminds me of a friend who called himself "Brad pitt" . He however was the ugliest person i had ever seen.:barf:

Generally this is not the way to earn the respect of your peers. Especially if you're a woman (sorry, don't shoot the messenger, but the double standard is still alive and well). Basically don't do anything you wouldn't want every single one of your classmates (and a fair number of others) to know ... because you better believe they will hear about it. The people in my class who think they're being 'discreet' are beyond hilarious.

Bottom line, don't **** where you eat. :smuggrin:

I am sort of surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be) about the number of hookups/relationships going on in my class...out of a little over 100 people there are at least 5 more or less open couples and many more that have apparently hooked up in one way or another since first year. People are fairly discreet but word still gets out. This is all the more impressive since the majority of my class is married/engaged, so it is a smaller pool of single people that are doing all this hooking up (although exactly who falls into which group is constantly in flux). Some of the couples seem fairly stable, the others who knows.

I have to say though, it was easier to be dismissive of this trend when I was in a serious relationship for most of first year. Now that I am single, I can see the appeal more--reasonably fit, attractive, intelligent people who understand your schedule are relatively hard to find outside of your class. I still see many potential pitfalls, but as we approach third year when we're mostly going to be split up it becomes less dangerous than right now when you're guaranteed to see the person in class every day. I would still be (and have been) hesitant, but I wouldn't totally dismiss the possiblity either, especially if it seemed like there was real potential with someone.

I would imagine it to be low because of the sheer disparity in age. There's alot of PhDs that are probably twice my age and the age gap seems to be pretty large. Alot of students also come in with already established relationships. I do hear about the occasional drama though. heres a question, anyone ever hear about M2s gettin it on with M1s? I doubt M3s have given that they're like ghosts. Or M4s with the youngers? lol

I am going to present a rare case of class hookups.

I study in a Polish school with an English program. This program is quite new in terms of existance. The polish people aren't the easiest to get together with to even chit-chat as there's a cultural barrier, a language barrier and the simple fact that we're scared of them and they're scared of us for some reason.
The only chances for a relationship for me is medcest as for now. I have to learn the language better to be able to start interacting with Polish girls.

But medcest itself isn't a good option. Most girls have a boyfriend from before and some have a ring on their finger to keep guys off. There's only a small number of people to get into a relationship with (and that would result in ruuuumoooors!).

Medcest is an option. Celibacy is another.

I would imagine it to be low because of the sheer disparity in age. There's alot of PhDs that are probably twice my age and the age gap seems to be pretty large. Alot of students also come in with already established relationships. I do hear about the occasional drama though. heres a question, anyone ever hear about M2s gettin it on with M1s? I doubt M3s have given that they're like ghosts. Or M4s with the youngers? lol

I have not seen M2s getting into relationships with M1s yet, probably because of their heavier schedule. M3s don't even exist, they're a myth. And I doubt M4s would care about their younger peers in med school, they consider themselves more mature than them I guess.

If after only 7 months 26% are hooked up, before 4th year you guys will reach 100%. Speed of the light. Go guys..

man, i'm gonna be pissed if i miss out on ms1 medcest. i already missed out on 9/11 sex. frickin 9/11, the world was ending, and i still couldn't get laid . . .

It's just like high school.

Sometimes it actually works out. One couple in my class is moving in together this summer. Another couple got engaged last month. Just a couple examples.

And sometimes it ends badly. I won't elaborate on that.

And sometimes it's just casual sex.

Personally, I don't ever see myself dating another med student/doctor. I'd probably go insane.

Totally agree with the high school thing -- especially all the gossip, drama, etc.

Wow I must be out of it -- I just learned that 2 people in our class are dating via Facebook (and I still thought the girl was still dating her ex). All I know is that for the first time in my life the majority of my friends aren't single.

man, i'm gonna be pissed if i miss out on ms1 medcest. i already missed out on 9/11 sex. frickin 9/11, the world was ending, and i still couldn't get laid . . .

HAHAHAHA... Can I quote you pleeease!

I have definitely seend the MS1 MS2 hookup/relationship thing going on. I know of at least one relationship and am convinced of some other hookups... I tend to be out of the loop though because I am engaged so I don't pay much attention to it, I just have some friends that are single, one of which was in the relationship with the MS2...which didn't end well I might add, but that was because of the MS2 if that matters at all...oh yeah, it was because of more medcest with another MS2

I don't see why it's such a big deal. The idea of a unified "class" at med school effectively ends after MS2, which is just about one year away. After that you'll be working with small groups of classmates with little time to socialize anyway.

If you count the people who were almost-together then it's . . . um. . .

17, at least. With some overlaps. If you count MS1/MS2 involvements then it increases marginally as well.

Also it really depends on what you mean by "hook-ups" in this case. There haven't been too many "sex-inclusive" hookups (I can think of maybe 4, most of which involve people in the aforementioned group) but there have been some "makeout" hookups and a few "holycrapgirlskissinggirls" episodes which may or may not be considered "hookups" depending on how you feel about exhibitionists.

Keep in mind that there are at least 4 people in the class who are engaged, at least 4 who are married already, and a crapload (>10) that are in SERIOUS (i.e. talking about moving in together) relationships with other people.

Suffice it to say, we lack singles. Severely.

I don't see why it's such a big deal. The idea of a unified "class" at med school effectively ends after MS2, which is just about one year away. After that you'll be working with small groups of classmates with little time to socialize anyway.

wait. im an ms2. there's less time to socialize in 3rd year? i thought the first two years were the hardest (and most time consuming). and since there arent as many tests 3rd, just one at the end of the rotation, there would be more time to socialize? what occupies ur time so much in 3rd year?

and in terms of hooking up. awkwardness spices up life.

what occupies ur time so much in 3rd year?

uh, the hospital.

If there was sarcasm or humor in that last post, it was totally lost in translation.

there have been some "makeout" hookups and a few "holycrapgirlskissinggirls" episodes which may or may not be considered "hookups" depending on how you feel about exhibitionists.

I wish this happened at my school. Especially during lecture.

I knew I should have been gunning in undergrad for those top 10 schools with their academic excellence and girl-on-girl sexual experimentation. :(

wait. im an ms2. there's less time to socialize in 3rd year? i thought the first two years were the hardest (and most time consuming). and since there arent as many tests 3rd, just one at the end of the rotation, there would be more time to socialize? what occupies ur time so much in 3rd year?

and in terms of hooking up. awkwardness spices up life.

Please tell us you are kidding.

medcest might not be the best of ideas, but here's my question: who the hell else are you supposed to date? granted i don't start med school till next year, but as far as i can tell med students hang around primarily with the people in their class.

I'm glad I'm happily married and don't need to deal with this distraction....

medcest might not be the best of ideas, but here's my question: who the hell else are you supposed to date? granted i don't start med school till next year, but as far as i can tell med students hang around primarily with the people in their class.

People here fall into 4 basic camps.

1) Don't date.
2) Are already in relationships.
3) Turn to J-date
4) Look sketchy and hang out at bars to try to pick someone up.

medcest might not be the best of ideas, but here's my question: who the hell else are you supposed to date?

Exactly. I know many people come in w/ a pre-existing relationship, and some are married. But what about the rest of us? :(

Like you're even at lecture to know if that happens.

I promise I'll come to a week's worth of classes if you can make it happen. :D

Exactly. I know many people come in w/ a pre-existing relationship, and some are married. But what about the rest of us? :(
Well they are not called winners....but they are called L*****!

Maybe practicing physicians, nurses, pharmacists, lawyers, CFO's, or someone else who is busy enough to keep themselves entertained and knows hard work so s/he isn't going to freak out when you're studying all the time (and can help fund this wonderful new journey :laugh: ) would be a better choice?

There is no rule that says you cannot hang out with or date people outside of med school. Non-med students are everywhere, and not exactly in short supply, if you look. In fact, the people most impressed with you being on the road to becoming a doctor will usually be those who aren't on that same road. Focusing in on the dozen or so availables in your class instead of the thousands outside the school simply makes no sense.

There's also the hookups that never happened. Like rumors floating around the class that were started to get other intraclass-medcest couples to break up.

We have a married couple in my class. They came in already married.
I'm not sure how they do it, cause they always go to class and they sit right next to each other all day long. Then, they go home and are together some more. It just seems like too much togetherness. I don't think I could do that.

Well they are not called winners....but they are called L*****!

Or as my mother says, they are people who get to keep their whole paycheck to themselves. ;)

No, seriously, I know two couples who are married right now (one of them for ~10 years now, the other for ~3), who met and dated all through medical school. I guess it's not impossible, it's just weirder if things don't work out.

Also it really depends on what you mean by "hook-ups" in this case. There haven't been too many "sex-inclusive" hookups (I can think of maybe 4, most of which involve people in the aforementioned group) but there have been some "makeout" hookups and a few "holycrapgirlskissinggirls" episodes which may or may not be considered "hookups" depending on how you feel about exhibitionists.

Omg i'm so glad i'm going to a school with a large percentage of marrieds, engageds, and olders. Please god tell me there is no high school gossip there. I'm not single but if i was (and if i decided i was too lazy to meet anyone out of the class for my sexual needs) i would not like my immature date going around telling everyone what level of "hook-up" it was! UGHH

and you know rumors are ALWAYS 100% true

Not quite. I'm constantly amazed by what my classmates say about me. Just this week I've heard (1) I asked out a classmate who turned me down, and (2) another classmate has been flirting with me by rubbing against me in the computer lab. Those stories are both news to me.

We have a married couple in my class. They came in already married.
I'm not sure how they do it, cause they always go to class and they sit right next to each other all day long. Then, they go home and are together some more. It just seems like too much togetherness. I don't think I could do that.

I'm married. Love my wife. That still sounds like hell to me.

Not quite. I'm constantly amazed by what my classmates say about me. Just this week I've heard (1) I asked out a classmate who turned me down, and (2) another classmate has been flirting with me by rubbing against me in the computer lab. Those stories are both news to me.

I learned that one of my friends was cheating on his girlfriend with me and one of my other friends.