Cleanings/Treatment during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DownFracture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this may be a dumb question... but, where do dental students go for periodic cleanings and/or treatment during dental school? Do you go to a private dentist? Schedule appointment with another student at the school? Faculty at the school? Or is all of this school dependent?

Members don't see this ad.

Another student. Preferably one you trust.

I have a similar question.i need braces and was wondering how much cheaper I can get it done in dental school.I'm going to Tufts by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I will be a student at Tufts this september

Most places you'll go to students for dental work. Cleanings and simple restorative are free. We get braces and invisalign at cost.

If more D students can shed some light on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated... as I'm also about to pull the trigger for the whole 8 miles.

Straighten teeth
Teeth whitening
Redo my crown

If more D students can shed some light on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated... as I'm also about to pull the trigger for the whole 8 miles.

Straighten teeth
Teeth whitening
Redo my crown

We get cleanings, operative, and the like for free. I ask a classmate to do it for me. We usually just clean each other in a clinic session. Anything with lab costs like a night guard, crown, etc...you have to pay for, but I think its just to cover the cost to the school. As far as braces, it's still pretty expensive. A classmate just got them and I think it was somewhere around $1700? I could be off on that, but I know it wasn't cheap (for a poor dental student) or free. Hope that helps!

Scotty

Straighten teeth
Teeth whitening
Redo my crown

BTW...we had to make our own bleaching trays for a clinical project, so that was free. Just had to pay for the bleach itself.

Scotty

Straighten teeth
Teeth whitening
Redo my crown
Why are you replacing the crown? What type of malocclusion are you correcting? I would get an ortho consult first so they can figure out their plan for tooth-attachments (invisalign could be indicated for you, either undergrad or PG). If it's metal braces, the bleaching should be done first, then crown to match the resulting bleached shade, then finish off with ortho.

Your case seems simple enough, depending on the difficulty of the crown, but I would try to get a D4 student, possibly one that is in honors esthetics or prosth.