SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cleared all USMLE steps - considering AU or NZ residency

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by HHH3, Mar 17, 2012.

  1. HHH3

    HHH3 2+ Year Member

    Jan 13, 2012
    Hi guys,

    I'm an IMG who has just come out of the US NRMP Match 2012 quite disappointed :(:(. I've cleared all USMLE steps from the first attempt, but couldn't secure a match in categorical IM! I am a non-US citizen. I graduated last year.

    Since it seems ultra competitive in the US, I thought about applying to medical residency in Australia or New Zealand. I'm not looking for a competitive specialty (was interested in Radiology, but it looks like a faraway dream now). Internal medicine would be good. I'd appreciate it if you guys give me an idea about my chances in either countries, if I need to pass any more exams, and when the usual time of applying is.

    Thank you.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ChrisJNZ


    Dec 2, 2011
    Auckland, NZ
    In Australia and NZ you don't apply for "residency" exactly. You apply for a job as a house officer or intern, and spend a few years as a pre-vocational trainee before beginning vocational training (residency). So its a matter of finding a hospital that will take you in in either country. Our hospital year begins in December or January, but you probably could find a hospital that has an open position for you - so basically you need to start applying ASAP. I'd suggest New Zealand as being likely to have more vacancies than Australia right now, particularly in rural locations.

    I would suggest going to this website and searching for "house officer".

    Use google to find out about the exams you have to sit. They are not difficult.
  4. Rotors

    Rotors Medevac airborne ...

    Apr 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    In New Zealand the professional colleges require two years of pre-vocational training known as the "House Officer" or "House Surgeon" years.

    This is an old time term because back in the day rich people had a Doctor (aka Chiurgeon or Medical Officer) at their house; man those were the days! The title is still used here and in most Commonwealth nations however in the UK it's been replaced by "Foundation Doctor"

    The House Officer/House Surgeon year is PGY1 and you must rotate through three to four specialities for a few months then you become an SHO (Senior House Officer) in PGY2 which can be spent entirely in one speciality if you so desire and a vacancy exists.

    From there you apply to your particular chosen College for vocational training and become a Registrar.

    "Internal medicine" here in NZ at least is not like it is in the US, you need to choose a speciality e.g. cardiology, nephrology or gastro; training is overseen by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.

    If you've sat the USMLE within five years you should be sweet; you need a job first and a work visa then you can apply to Medical Council for registration.

    Get on Google or the DHB websites and get job hunting mate!

    Best of luck
  5. petyr_baelish

    petyr_baelish 5+ Year Member

    Nov 15, 2009
  6. Rotors

    Rotors Medevac airborne ...

    Apr 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    If he has passed the USMLE Step I and II CK or the AMC MCQ I do not think he has to sit NZREX but you need to ask the Medical Council!

    He needs a job offer and a work visa first, then worry about the Medical Council.

    Get onto the various DHBs and see about getting a House Officer job!
  7. HHH3

    HHH3 2+ Year Member

    Jan 13, 2012
    You must pass NZREX Clinical even if you have passed the USMLEs.

    Am I eligible to sit NZREX Clinical?
    Before you apply to sit NZREX Clinical you must:

    From the official site of the Medical Council of New Zealand.
  8. Rotors

    Rotors Medevac airborne ...

    Apr 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The NZREX is just an OSCE so don't worry about it; when compared to getting a work visa and finding a job in NZ it sort of pales into insignificance ....
  9. mphresidency

    mphresidency 2+ Year Member

    Dec 26, 2011
    I am currently doing Masters in Public Health at Yale. I am interested in Internal Medicine in New Zealand. I wanted to know about the job. How competitive is it?

    Will research with publications help the process?
    Clinical experience in US - rotations in medicine dept?

    I am a medical doctor from India.
  10. Phloston

    Phloston Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

    Jan 17, 2012
    Osaka, Japan
    241/256 isn't bad. Did you not have research or US clinical experience of any kind?
  11. Leforte

    Leforte Member Moderator Physician PhD Faculty 10+ Year Member

    Feb 2, 2004
    Assuming you get ECFMG certification, have passed an internship in your own country and are pursuing a categorical IM position in the USA - and can get a visa - you will likely have little difficulty obtaining a categorical IM position in the USA, provided there are no weird cultural differences that would come out in the interview. You will not be at a top 10 place. But you will get good training and once you have a categorical slot, your medical school, etc, becomes a moot point when seeking fellowship level training.

    Radiology is becoming a difficult match in the USA. That could be why there was an issue with your initial application. You could also get an IM slot and see if a position opens up.

    The question is, however, where do you want to practice? If you want to be in Australia - you need to focus on getting here. If you want to practice in the USA, focus on getting there. The rest will work itself out.

    BTW 241 is not outstanding for a non-US citizen, IMG trained physician seeking a lifestyle oriented field in the USA. I am happy to delve into this further if you wish, but it has a lot to do with medicare funding, etc, for training positions.
  12. blushie


    Oct 30, 2012
    can I apply for internship in NZ right after graduating from med school and before having an clinical experience?
  13. alamo4

    alamo4 Dudeist 2+ Year Member

    I think the origin is the same as the US term, resident, namely that they lived at the hospital. This was necessary in the days before pagers and phones. The house officers were the ones who lived there, and the pre-registration house officer was/is equivalent to the intern, just out of school.

    A rich person wouldn't hire someone so inexperienced to be their live in doctor, so the term wouldn't come over from the concierge medicine of yore.

    Some thoughts on how to get the most out of a personal physician:

Share This Page