Cleveland Clinic ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful74

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, among the top 25 schools, where does CCLCM (the Cleveland clinic) rank? I'm aware its associated with case western, which is a top 20-25 school, is CCLCM considered the same or more prestigious? It's ranking is not listed.
From my understanding its not among the top 5 definitely (Harvard, UCSF etc) but can it be compared to top 10 medical schools like UPenn/UCLA/Duke/UMich?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering, among the top 25 schools, where does CCLCM (the Cleveland clinic) rank? I'm aware its associated with case western, which is a top 20-25 school, is CCLCM considered the same or more prestigious? It's ranking is not listed.
From my understanding its not among the top 5 definitely (Harvard, UCSF etc) but can it be compared to top 10 medical schools like UPenn/UCLA/Duke/UMich?

This same question came up last year and there was always disagreement. I'll just say their students match like students from a top 10 school...

Reactions: 1 user
This same question came up last year and there was always disagreement. I'll just say their students match like students from a top 10 school...
Is it the lack of NIH funding compared to other schools that causes the disagreement?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's new but well regarded, poaches a lot of the same students that would go to top 10-20s with their free tuition. Their match list is obscene these last few years. I wouldn't hesitate to turn down a top 10 for it if you liked the unique features of the program like the tiny class size and built-in research year.

Is it the lack of NIH funding compared to other schools that causes the disagreement?

I honesty think people get hung up on the prestige thing. It's a tiny, new program. It's not going to get ooohs and aaahs from premeds the same as the institutions that have been leaders for a hundred years like Hopkins and Harvard and Penn. But just look at the match list, it's plenty impressive to the informed crowd of residency directors, and it's their opinion that actually matters.

Reactions: 1 users
It's new but well regarded, poaches a lot of the same students that would go to top 10-20s with their free tuition. Their match list is obscene these last few years. I wouldn't hesitate to turn down a top 10 for it if you liked the unique features of the program like the tiny class size and built-in research year.

I honesty think people get hung up on the prestige thing. It's a tiny, new program. It's not going to get ooohs and aaahs from premeds the same as the institutions that have been leaders for a hundred years like Hopkins and Harvard and Penn. But just look at the match list, it's plenty impressive to the informed crowd of residency directors, and it's their opinion that actually matters.
Doesn't its match list include Case western as well?

What everyone else said is really accurate.

I would add that more generally it’s hard to look at CCLCM through the traditional med school lens. It’s a totally different approach to medical education.

It’s effectively cleveland clinic (a private hospital) saying they will sponsor 30-some allstar students to attend Case Western. They provide a massive amounts of resources and mentorship, but also have their students under a microscope and hold them to a standard higher than most other med schools. They all take an extra 5th year - They’re expected to be productive researchers.

CCLCM kind of reminds me of a large MSTP program, actually.

I would add that more generally it’s hard to look at CCLCM through the traditional med school lens. It’s a totally different approach to medical education.

It’s effectively cleveland clinic (a private hospital) saying they will sponsor 30-some allstar students to attend Case Western. They provide a massive amounts of resources and mentorship, but also have their students under a microscope and hold them to a standard higher than most other med schools. They all take an extra 5th year - They’re expected to be productive researchers.

But there’s no PhD at the end but a MSc instead, correct?

And isn’t Mayo Clinic a similar situation?

Last edited:

Can you elaborate on "students under a microscope and hold them to a standard higher than most other med schools."?

Can you elaborate on "students under a microscope and hold them to a standard higher than most other med schools."?

I realize you were asking someone else but I think he mean there's only 32 students and there's a ton of faculty and mentors giving attention to these 32 students to help them become the best doctors possible. They also pretty much have all the resources of the cleveland clinic and those of case western at their disposal. There's very little reason for any residency director to doubt any one of their students will make great candidates.

Reactions: 1 users

Yea like @freedoctor17 said, it’s a very different paradigm than a traditional medical school. These students get extensive 1:1 mentorship, access to cutting edge research, and get to work hands on with learners in the field of health care.

It’s not a school where it’s acceptable to just plug along taking classes, studying for step, and maybe join a club or two. Their students are expected to be building robust academic resumes from day 1.