2023-2024 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

CCLCM (5 yr. MD) Applicants (this is a separate program/different application than CWRU MD app)

Required Responses: **You can use your same greatest challenge essay if you are applying to both programs!**

1. Greatest Challenge Essay: The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result. (2,000 character limit)
  2. Research Essay: Please tell us about ONE research project to which you made a significant contribution. In your essay, describe your role on the project, the hypothesis of your research and whether you contributed to hypothesis generation, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results, and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. In addition, please briefly share your motivation for pursuing this research project and reflect on how this experience affected your future career goals. (3,500 character limit)
  3. Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Directed Learning: The most successful medical students at our school are generally those who are intrinsically motivated, self-directed learners. Think of a time when you had to pursue a goal without clear external direction. Describe your approach and any new knowledge, perspectives, or skills that you acquired. (1,000 character limit)
  4. Career Essay: What does your ideal career entail fifteen years after medical school graduation? (1,000 character limit)
  5. Gap Year(s) if applicable: If you are taking time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation, please tell us why you made this decision and what you will be doing or have done during this gap time. (1,000 character limit)

Optional Responses:

1. Additional Information Response: Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee that may not be captured in the rest of your application? (2,000 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top choice right here let's get it

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to answer any questions as a current student :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Happy to answer any questions as a current student :)
Hey thanks for helping. A question I had was how much do CCLCM students interact with other Case students? I can't imagine a 32 student class is enough to have separate interest groups, clubs and community stuff for just the Cleveland Clinic kids. Do you guys join the CWRU students for that stuff?

Hey thanks for helping. A question I had was how much do CCLCM students interact with other Case students? I can't imagine a 32 student class is enough to have separate interest groups, clubs and community stuff for just the Cleveland Clinic kids. Do you guys join the CWRU students for that stuff?
I have a close friend who is a current CCLCM student who told me about their experience awhile back, but anyone please correct me if this information is incorrect. They told me that the majority of their events and clubs are with the Case Students, for example their white coat ceremonies are together and they have a class group chat where they all do social events together. However, they said there are some events/luncheons that are exclusive to CCLCM students and the CCLCM class elects their own "class leaders" or something like that for their class.

I have a close friend who is a current CCLCM student who told me about their experience awhile back, but anyone please correct me if this information is incorrect. They told me that the majority of their events and clubs are with the Case Students, for example their white coat ceremonies are together and they have a class group chat where they all do social events together. However, they said there are some events/luncheons that are exclusive to CCLCM students and the CCLCM class elects their own "class leaders" or something like that for their class.
Current student :) We actually have all our own interest groups, community projects, and events. We can join any CWRU groups that we want to join, but we have our own groups that many of us end up leading and the majority of us are involved in. White coat was one of the only events we had together. You can do as much as you want with the case students, but it's entirely your choice. We have more than 25 CCLCM recognized interest groups/clubs, and these have members from our cohorts across all 5 years!

• Wow
Current student :) We actually have all our own interest groups, community projects, and events. We can join any CWRU groups that we want to join, but we have our own groups that many of us end up leading and the majority of us are involved in. White coat was one of the only events we had together. You can do as much as you want with the case students, but it's entirely your choice. We have more than 25 CCLCM recognized interest groups/clubs, and these have members from our cohorts across all 5 years!
Very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

II just now! Second one! Was starting to lose some confidence after getting passed up in other schools' first waves

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
II just now! Second one! Was starting to lose some confidence after getting passed up in other schools' first waves
Grats brotha/sista

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Did you get an email or portal?

Oh wtf CCLCM II too. I just checked my portal and there was a new tab opened up for interview but I didn't get an email lmao. This is my top choice. I'm psyched :D

• Love
  • Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wtf CCLCM II too. I just checked my portal and there was a new tab opened up for interview but I didn't get an email lmao. This is my top choice. I'm psyched :D
bruh is there any school you are not getting II? Congrats!!!!

bruh is there any school you are not getting II? Congrats!!!!
Thanks haha fwiw I missed the BU, UCLA, Dartmouth, NYU, and UMass waves. Every school looks for something different I guess and the schools I have IIs to don't have particularly high post-II A rates so I'm still sweating haha

Hoping for the best for you too man!!

Thanks haha fwiw I missed the BU, UCLA, Dartmouth, NYU, and UMass waves. Every school looks for something different I guess and the schools I have IIs to don't have particularly high post-II A rates so I'm still sweating haha

Hoping for the best for you too man!!
Nah dw about those schools, BU, Darthmouth and UMass just yield protecting. Also I didn't see many II's reported for BU so I doubt they've sent many out. NYU's for sure including you in their next wave and if it makes you feel any better, I'm even IS for UMass, submitted early and have nothing so far.

• Love
  • Care
Found a II in my portal yesterday, no email. Submitted 7/14, LM 82.5.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
That's interesting!

Do you know if there are any groups related to infectious disease, global health, psychiatry, and bioethics/ medical humanities?
Groups are more dependent on student interest which can fluctuate throughout the years. If you include CWRU, there are interest groups for all of those. There is also a Global Health related Pathway and the option for a funded Bioethics Master (I think) if either interest you. With the way the curriculum is structured, students are encouraged to stick with either a Pathway or a Master's program, but neither is mandatory. I'm not sure if you can audit classes of interest if they fit into your schedule, but I can't see why that wouldn't be possible.

• Love
Ahhhh I just got an II by email (LM 74, submitted 7/18) !! But interestingly when I checked my portal it actually went out last Friday? So could be worth just checking your portals..

Ahhhh I just got an II by email (LM 74, submitted 7/18) !! But interestingly when I checked my portal it actually went out last Friday? So could be worth just checking your portals..

Congratulations!! Thank you for your suggestion. Is it the same portal for Case or something else?

Late but +1 found ii invite in portal last week. Any current/past students have any advice/tips on how to convert to one of the 32 spots lol?

Late but +1 found ii invite in portal last week. Any current/past students have any advice/tips on how to convert to one of the 32 spots lol?
You just gotta rizz the interviewer. And make sure your PI rizzes them too when they can that phone call. Give then the prescription of 30 mg of Rizzalin

+1 II received yesterday. Submitted 07/18. Beyond grateful and so excited to interview at such an amazing school. Wishing the best of luck for all of you!

pre-II R (submitted 7/19). Silly me thinking I would've gotten an II from here LOL, but at least I'm still in the running for the university program !

• Care
Pre II R received yesterday evening. LM 76.80 and WARS 94 to 101. Sad, but expected. But don't give up hope If you also got the R bc I still got a UP II :D (1500 hrs bio research but no pubs)

• Care
  • Wow
Pre II R just now. Second one on the same day but glad Cleveland didn't ghost us

• Care
anyone else not heard back yet? submitted 07/17 LM 74 ORM :/

Also completed 7/17, and still nothing......

Anyone who submitted secondary 7/28 or after hear anything?

I just learned that CCLCM calls PI's after a decision meeting. Does a call mean that the student is accepted, or does it mean accepted OR waitlisted.

Also separate question, but I left one of my labs in not the best terms because the PI really wanted me to stay, and was upset when I told her that although I loved and appreciated the experience, I wanted to explore another type of research after I graduated. The PI claimed I had never let them know I was graduating despite telling them two separate times during meetings.

I am now worried she might not endorse me as positively as she had when writing my letter. If this is the case, are my chances pretty much tanked?

*I have other longitudinal research experiences as well but the one I wrote my research essay on was with this PI.*
You have no control over what another person might say, so I definitely get why this concerns you but there’s not much you can do.

• Wow
I just learned that CCLCM calls PI's after a decision meeting. Does a call mean that the student is accepted, or does it mean accepted OR waitlisted.

Also separate question, but I left one of my labs in not the best terms because the PI really wanted me to stay, and was upset when I told her that although I loved and appreciated the experience, I wanted to explore another type of research after I graduated. The PI claimed I had never let them know I was graduating despite telling them two separate times during meetings.

I am now worried she might not endorse me as positively as she had when writing my letter. If this is the case, are my chances pretty much tanked?

*I have other longitudinal research experiences as well but the one I wrote my research essay on was with this PI.*
Iirc I believe the call can also be conducted when waitlisting someone at least based on last year’s thread.

I was complete 7/23, LM ~80, but I haven't heard anything.

II after the Case R yesterday. So excited and surprised!

• Wow