Clinical Experience (NICU, Doula, etc) vs. Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSDGM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm preparing to apply this upcoming round. One weak spot of my application is shadowing hours. At this point, I have 20 hours with one OBGYN in his clinic, 8 hours with a pediatric endocrinologist and genetic counselors (not sure if I should mention the genetic counselors since they're not MDs?). Two things worry me about that: that's not many hours + only two specialties represented.

However, I have (what I think is?) a sufficient amount of patient contact/clinical experience. Children's Hospital Volunteer (NICU = 131 hours), Hospital Doula (570 on-call hours, 120 patient contact hours, 20+ hours birth/breastfeeding/pregnancy training). NICU experience was primarily holding infants, Doula experience was assisting with both vaginal and cesarean deliveries. I also have some experience in the ER as a volunteer sexual assault advocate (roughly 30 hours).

If the point of shadowing is to be able to say we know what we're getting into, we've seen various physicians in action, etc...can volunteer clinical experience be considered to serve that purpose too?

I'm actively working right now to get more shadowing experience (waiting to hear back from a dermatologist and an abortion provider). I'd love to shadow a general practitioner but not sure that will happen in time. I'm in the midst of a my gap years and working 2 jobs (in health education and residential mental health care), so how many hours I can get in before June will be limited by the amount of PTO I can take.

Worse Case Scenario: if I can't get more shadowing in before I submit in a couple of months...is having only 20-30 (ish) hours, with only 2 specialties represented, going to significantly hurt my application? Or is the fact that I can speak about my NICU and Doula experience and my interactions with physicians during deliveries going to help make up for that?

Members don't see this ad.

Your experience interacting with patients in clinical settings puts you head and shoulders ahead of many of the applicants I've interviewed in the past year so I'd say you are good despite having shadowed only 2 specialties. I would include the genetic counselorsw although they aren't physicians. When it comes to "why medicine" you can compare and contrast your experience with the two disciplines and make a good argument for why you choose medicine. Also, if asked what you would do if you couldn't do medicine (hypothetical question), you might draw on your shadowing experience with genetic counselors to at least say that you have thought about that career path and why and why not it would be attractive to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Your experience interacting with patients in clinical settings puts you head and shoulders ahead of many of the applicants I've interviewed in the past year so I'd say you are good despite having shadowed only 2 specialties. I would include the genetic counselorsw although they aren't physicians. When it comes to "why medicine" you can compare and contrast your experience with the two disciplines and make a good argument for why you choose medicine. Also, if asked what you would do if you couldn't do medicine (hypothetical question), you might draw on your shadowing experience with genetic counselors to at least say that you have thought about that career path and why and why not it would be attractive to you.

Thanks so much for the response! This is definitely reassuring and I sincerely appreciate the tips on how to discuss my experience shadowing genetic counselors.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider calling your L&D work "labor coaching" or labor support...

Is using the title "doula" not a good idea for med school apps? When I explain it to folks I usually use the term "coaching" or "support" anyway, so if that's the case I definitely agree that those are perfect descriptors I can use instead! Thanks!

(I know I'll steer clear from words like "assisting," that made it sound like I was doing something medical...which I definitely was not doing).

Reactions: 1 user
I applied with only 20 hours of shadowing in one specialty along with two years of full-time clinical experience and did fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Some people have strong opinions on doulas haha...idk if that would be detrimental depending on who reads your app.