PhD/PsyD Clinical Psychologist and Full Time Professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedUp101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've always wondered is it even possible to be a full time professor and a clinical psychologist? There's this professor at my school who is a full time professor but at the same time he works in private practice. So essentially he's almost never on campus and he only teaches online classes. I didn't know this was possible since I'm assuming you have to do some type of research when you are a professor? I go to a state school, so it's not R1 school or anything, but professors here still do some research.

So my question is: is it common to see someone be a full time professor and work in PP at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I've always wondered is it even possible to be a full time professor and a clinical psychologist? There's this professor at my school who is a full time professor but at the same time he works in private practice.

Uh, doesn't that answer your question?

So my question is: is it common to see someone be a full time professor and work in PP at the same time?

Yes

@erg923

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to see if this was common at other schools as well. I just figured in order to hold a full time professor status, you had to be present at the university... I guess not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I've always wondered is it even possible to be a full time professor and a clinical psychologist? There's this professor at my school who is a full time professor but at the same time he works in private practice. So essentially he's almost never on campus and he only teaches online classes. I didn't know this was possible since I'm assuming you have to do some type of research when you are a professor? I go to a state school, so it's not R1 school or anything, but professors here still do some research.

I had a prof in undergrad who was on campus 3 days a week and had her private practice 2 days a week. Her 3 days on-campus were pretty long, but she was actually physically present.

In grad school, none of my professors had a private practice. They did supervise students in on-site clinics and maybe saw 1-2 patients through the university. Unclear if any finances were involved with their own patients with that or if it was pro-bono.

It's fairly common, at least in my experience, for clinical/counseling/school psych folks to have some sort of outside clinical practice work.

The amount of time a professor has for side work can really depend. During the first few years while they're knocking down tenure, their academic/research schedule is going to be more demanding. But even then, I've known profs who still fit in some private practice a day or so per week.

Hey Everyone,

I was both. To goes with the ego. We don't get along we.ll. In the 1970, at UCLA< the faculty voted to kick out all clinical people. That current still exists. I am retired.

There's this professor at my school who is a full time professor but at the same time he works in private practice. So essentially he's almost never on campus and he only teaches online classes.

The more typical situation is that someone treats the faculty position as the "day job" and does a bit of private practice on the side. This is a very common arrangement.

Reactions: 1 users
@erg923

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to see if this was common at other schools as well. I just figured in order to hold a full time professor status, you had to be present at the university... I guess not.
It happens all the time. schools may define the hours you can work ok outside the department.. so, for instance, no more than 10 at mine. You'll see lots of folks do work outside as a side gig, either in practice or in consulting. This is the kit of a flexible schedule as to when you work.

Edit to add: this happens for those outside of clinical as well. I know tons of human factors folks who do industry consulting, for instance.

Last edited:
At my school two (married) tenured Professors run a private practice together and hold full time faculty (including teaching, research, and graduate student advising) positions. The husband in the pair once told me he works about 70/80 hours a week, though. But they seem happy! They don't have kids and both of their jobs they're in the same place. So I guess if you're doing what you love with the person you love, working two intense full time jobs is not so bad. :)

As others have said, this happens all the time. The amount of time outside of the professor position that you can spend doing clinical work will vary a lot depending on the department, stage of career, etc.