Clinical publishing?

Started by aklvkk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aklvkk

C&H85
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does being published in a medical magazine (e.g. writing your own article on a health topic) count as significantly as being published in a medical journal?

...Now that I write it out, it seems kind of ridiculous to ask. I was asking around about a research internship at a hospital and previous participants were talking about "published." I asked what/where they were published and they pulled out a magazine; it didn't seem like a journal because the articles were mainly concerned on talking about health issues rather than on actual studies.
It seems like that would count as a pretty big achievement, but I'm guessing it's not really the same caliber as being part of an actual study. Is that right?
 
it's not in the same league as peer-reviewed publications, but noteworthy in it's own right. How many people can say that they've published anything???


Does being published in a medical magazine (e.g. writing your own article on a health topic) count as significantly as being published in a medical journal?

...Now that I write it out, it seems kind of ridiculous to ask. I was asking around about a research internship at a hospital and previous participants were talking about "published." I asked what/where they were published and they pulled out a magazine; it didn't seem like a journal because the articles were mainly concerned on talking about health issues rather than on actual studies.
It seems like that would count as a pretty big achievement, but I'm guessing it's not really the same caliber as being part of an actual study. Is that right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's not in the same league as peer-reviewed publications, but noteworthy in it's own right. How many people can say that they've published anything???

Hope you don't mind the quick hijack, but would you recommend listing non-academic publications? I have published a significant number of fiction pieces (some for money, some for credit). My letter writers have all found them interesting, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be absurd to list them. I was thinking of putting them all under the same activity, then putting my peer-reviewed stuff as separate items.
 
Yup, that's where I'd put it.

Hope you don't mind the quick hijack, but would you recommend listing non-academic publications? I have published a significant number of fiction pieces (some for money, some for credit). My letter writers have all found them interesting, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be absurd to list them. I was thinking of putting them all under the same activity, then putting my peer-reviewed stuff as separate items.