CME after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the attendings out there...

What are the CME requirements once you are board certified? I always see ads for conventions that give x number of CME credits, and they always specify that they are "ACEP category 1 credits". What are the different types of credits, how many do you need per year, and is it only through for board certification or do you need other types of CME as well (for example, to keep your state license UTD)?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe taking in a student for a month also counts for some of these.

Members don't see this ad :)
50 "credits" per year (which equals 50 hours), I'm pretty confident.

However, you can get something like 60 credits for "time served" as a resident.

Check here.

So does this mean that, as residents, we have to do CME? Or does this mean that we can get credit for residency and submit afterwards (e.g. in the first three years as an attending)?

I can't vouch for all states but I have never heard of having to get CME during residency. It's assumed you're getting enough.
Also, the year you graduate(if it's in June/July)you don't need CME for that year. You start the next year.

Anyone know of any free CME sites??

So does this mean that, as residents, we have to do CME? Or does this mean that we can get credit for residency and submit afterwards (e.g. in the first three years as an attending)?

The second. You do not have to get CME's as a resident (your education and conferences are assumed to be giving you the equivalent).