CME Money to burn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckstobeme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys- I have about $975 of CME money left to spend for the yr.

Already renewed EMRAP and got Rosh for the upcoming CONCERT as well as a couple of books. I'm told I can't use this money for laptops, phones, scrubs, stethescopes. CME, conferences, educational stuff and professional societies are fair game.

Considering:
1) AAEM dues (not currently a member)
2) State ACEP dues (not currently a member)
3) Ultrasound course- this would partially defray the cost. I would kick in some money out of pocket
4) One of those audiodigest type CME almost solely because if I spend 1250, they will give me a $500 gift cared; to be honest, I tried audiodigest and didn't like it as much as EMRAP. Basically I would be paying my own $250 + the hospital's $1000 to get a $500 Amazon gift card. Not sure if it's worth it for a program I see myself using only occassionally.
5) A good conference. Went to Essentials last yr and was a little disappointed (though previous year was excellent). Would be open to hearing about other cool conferences. Interested in regional anesthesia blocks but not a lot of EM geared conferences about that.

I just became adjunct university faculty so I get access to journals, so I don't see a reason to spend money on that.

Any thoughts? Have to submit receipts this week!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you pay your AAEM dues, which I highly recommend, it automatically covers the registration for the AAEM conference, which is in San Diego next year in April. I personally wouldn't bother with ACEP unless you're planning on attending their conference (also in San Diego).

ACEP... pffft....

I was a kid in the 80s. I watched as money ruined sports.
I was a teen in the 90s. I watched as money ruined music.
I was a young adult in the 00's. I watched as money ruined insurance and the housing market.
I am an middle-aged man in the 10's. I'm watching as money ruins medicine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Buy a bunch of books and return them. Or some trial period subscription you can cancel. Turn the CME into cash. I bought some garbage last year in the same situation and got zero use out of it, wish I woulda cashed out.

Medical CME | American Seminar Institute This allows you to take CME anywhere. You could be completing CME in disneyland for all that matters. CME lectures are through audio digest recordings, and they'll print you a cme certificate with the name of your vacation destination on it. This way, your cme money will totally cover your travel expenses.

Hey Guys- I have about $975 of CME money left to spend for the yr.

Already renewed EMRAP and got Rosh for the upcoming CONCERT as well as a couple of books. I'm told I can't use this money for laptops, phones, scrubs, stethescopes. CME, conferences, educational stuff and professional societies are fair game.

Considering:
1) AAEM dues (not currently a member)
2) State ACEP dues (not currently a member)
3) Ultrasound course- this would partially defray the cost. I would kick in some money out of pocket
4) One of those audiodigest type CME almost solely because if I spend 1250, they will give me a $500 gift cared; to be honest, I tried audiodigest and didn't like it as much as EMRAP. Basically I would be paying my own $250 + the hospital's $1000 to get a $500 Amazon gift card. Not sure if it's worth it for a program I see myself using only occassionally.
5) A good conference. Went to Essentials last yr and was a little disappointed (though previous year was excellent). Would be open to hearing about other cool conferences. Interested in regional anesthesia blocks but not a lot of EM geared conferences about that.

I just became adjunct university faculty so I get access to journals, so I don't see a reason to spend money on that.

Any thoughts? Have to submit receipts this week!

Thanks!
It's not quite as bad a deal as you make it sound with holiday codes right now.

The current Oakstone deals are spend $995+ to get a $500 amazon gift card. Looking at EM, Emergency Medicine-A Comprehensive Review | Emergency Medicine | CMEinfo | for example, if you opt for videos + USB (exactly $995), you can use code GC500 to get the card.

The other option if you just have a smaller amount of money to burn would be to buy some textbooks, get reimbursed, and return them. That is of course, not quite ethical, but your mileage may vary.

I have 45 bucks left. Anything decent I can spend it on?

Medical CME | American Seminar Institute This allows you to take CME anywhere. You could be completing CME in disneyland for all that matters. CME lectures are through audio digest recordings, and they'll print you a cme certificate with the name of your vacation destination on it. This way, your cme money will totally cover your travel expenses.

Is this legit? Kinda sounds scammy that they'll just slap on "Bahamas" to your CME credit for something you just downloaded and listened to.

It's not quite as bad a deal as you make it sound with holiday codes right now.

The current Oakstone deals are spend $995+ to get a $500 amazon gift card. Looking at EM, Emergency Medicine-A Comprehensive Review | Emergency Medicine | CMEinfo | for example, if you opt for videos + USB (exactly $995), you can use code GC500 to get the card.

The other option if you just have a smaller amount of money to burn would be to buy some textbooks, get reimbursed, and return them. That is of course, not quite ethical, but your mileage may vary.

Is Oakstone any good?

Is this legit? Kinda sounds scammy that they'll just slap on "Bahamas" to your CME credit for something you just downloaded and listened to.

I know it sounds sketchy but is perfectly legit. I’ve used it myself, and you get cme credit for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk